• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread

Ryan_MSF

So happy with the review scores! Original game was awesome and to see it being reviewed so highly is great to see.

raven777

CTWvq-9WUAAlnf2.jpg:orig

Lime

"nine optional Challenge Tombs" LOL

Also, Lara is now breaking the Geneva convention by putting bombs into corpses. That is fucking insane. Insane mass murderer, indeed.

8bit

Knows the Score
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/201...ider-review-this-is-laras-best-adventure-yet/

No score, but:

The Good

Exciting action-filmesque set pieces
Large world to explore with plenty of secret areas to discover
Lets you go at your own pace
Challenge Tombs have some of the best puzzles since the original Tomb Raider
Slick combat and cover mechanics
Seeing Lara develop as a character
Gorgeous visuals

The Bad

Story is overblown in places, with heavy-handed characterisation
Crafting works fine, but doesn't have a huge effect on your progress

The Ugly

Why am I pressing "X" to learn a language?

Verdict

With a huge world to explore, heaps of secrets and puzzles to uncover, and some great action, this is the best Tomb Raider since the original Tomb Raider.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Getting the sense if you didn't like the last one, this won't change your mind. I'm out then.
It's very much a direct sequel. It plays very much like the 2013 game. So, yeah, if you didn't enjoy that one you probably won't like this one either.

The Ugly

Why am I pressing "X" to learn a language?
Ha ha, those are pretty dumb, I have to say. I immediately thought of Angel of Darkness where Lara is often "not strong enough" to do something but then simply, say, opening a door with a crowbar suddenly makes her "feel stronger". Same kind of mechanic here.

Kathian

Banned
Anyway sounding not too bad. Enjoyed the first game bit had higher hopes for changes in the second but will probably pick this up next year sometime.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Destructoid offers some fair criticism of the game, gives it a decent 7.5, and of course the first comment over there is some angry gif reaction. Never change, Internet.

Jumeira

Banned
"nine optional Challenge Tombs" LOL

Also, Lara is now breaking the Geneva convention by putting bombs into corpses. That is fucking insane. Insane mass murderer, indeed.

And Snake holds a nuke on his private milletary base, its a game.

Great Reviews! This makes me itch to play Tomb Raider 2013. Got it for free on Xbox but I haven't played it yet.

Looks like I'll be getting this game next year
for xbox one when the GOTY version comes out

JoseLopez

Whoa I honestly thought this game was gonna be a mess but then again last game reviewed well and it was very meh gameplay wise and bad story wise.

Gadgets 360: 7/10

Not a bad review, but it felt a little bit like they were nitpicking, complaining about it only being 11 hours and questioning whether it would look better on more powerful hardware. I wonder if it's true that this only looks a little better than TR:DE despite running at half the framerate.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I usually save one game every year for Christmas holidays, chose this one this time. Can't wait.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My review is not completely ready yet, but I really liked the game. Of course if you didn't care about the 2013 reboot, forget about that one as it's the same basic gameplay just more refined and detailed basically.
A few technical issues though, the aliasing was already well known, but the framerate can be a bit low at times. It's never (imho) so bad that it's a detriment to the gameplay, but it's clear that at times the devs really wanted to do too much with the X1's hardware. And they certainly did a lot considering how big some environments can be, and how many effects (lighting, particles, motion blur and others are top notch) they are pushing.

Top Bottom