• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Schattendorfer

Neo Member
Hello,

do we have any numbers how many units have been sold from DImensions and Guitar Hero. I hope they did okayish, so that i can hope of more dlc soon.

Thx

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think that's the case, most games released this year showed huge growth, Halo and AC are the anomaly, & those were the two biggest "broken" games last year.

I think sales are even more consolidating towards the big games, in the PS2 gen everything sold 1+ million, last gen less games were selling 1 million but more games started selling 3+ million.

Now this gen, it seems like every game sells 5+ million, at the expense of smaller AAA games, bigger indies are remedying that imo.

How are we disagreeing? I think everything is consolidating towards the top, so you'll see way way way fewer retail releases per year. I am also saying the core buying audience is obviously shrinking. Why do you not think so?

jelly

By the time another Halo rolls around, it might be competing with Destiny 2, Titan Fall 2, and CoD: Whatever. I think the series' halcyon days are clearly behind it now. There's just too much competition.

Halo should move to Feb-March.

Curufinwe

I bought a 2nd PS4 in October because my wife wanted to play Uncharted right away, but we really should've waited a couple of weeks.

Alo0oy

Banned
Sony had to earn that though. PS3 was rough early on. Some PS2 good will for sure but it was a long road with the PS3 and if Xbox One wasn't a complete balls up, I don't think so many 360 users would have jumped to PS4. Yeah, MS coasted with 360 in the end which probably helped push some users away as well while Sony built up momentum. Xbox One would have been a good challenger without the missteps even with the power of the PlayStation brand, Microsoft just kneecapped themselves.

They didn't "earn" that in those markets though, the PS3 launched 18 months after the X360 & in some of these markets surpassed X360's LTD sales within launch week & then went on to obliterate the X360 in Europe.

Hello again, NeoGAF forums.

Forgive me as I am not familiar with forums, and I am unaware of the conventions of this community. I enjoyed participating in the 'NPD (U.S. Hardware Predictions)' game that the NeoGAF forums offered before the Report was finalized and released. The Neo GAF seems like a fun, intelligent community, so I would like to help the NeoGAF out by disclosing a few immaterial data points from Thursday's Report, although I do not have the time to participate in your 'console war' topics or respond to queries on a regular basis.

The Report in question is The NPD Group's October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Channel) Report which was released to its important clients on Thursday. It is my understanding that the NeoGAF community regularly discusses and analyzes U.S. Console Hardware point-of-sale data from these reports and would appreciate further disclosure to be able to use in 'console war' discussion.

Please keep in mind that the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) Report tracks a 4-week month with a Reporting Period of 28 days (10/04/15 through 10/31/15), because The NPD Group follows a traditional 4-4-5 retail calendar. This is to ensure that weekly / quarterly periods can be properly compared relative to performance from previous years.

In Thursday's October 2015 Report, The NPD Group reported that Sony's 'PlayStation 4' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 275K. In the same October 2015 Report, Microsoft's 'Xbox One' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 303K. Also, Nintendo's 'Wii U' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 65K.

You can refer to the following Excel bar graph I produced for the Neo GAF which conveniently contextualizes the above point-of-sale data in reference to data from previous NPD Reports:

3PTMZhz.png

It is important to note that NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimates of the size of those other monetization methods.

Septic360

Banned
Spin it however you want; Halo enabled the Xbox to win in a month where the PS4 saw a price drop. All I read was how it would lead to domination and secure another win for Sony.

Some humility would be great by the naysayers and to recognise that yes, Halo did help secure the win and its a big win, albeit in light of low performance all throughout.

The shifting of goalposts regarding digital sales to suit some arguments but then hypocritically forgetting them when adopting another- its not really productive is it?

In any case, this is only one month and normality will resume for the next NPD but sheesh guys...don't deny that HALO IS KING!

Forgive me as I am not familiar with forums, and I am unaware of the conventions of this community. I enjoyed participating in the 'NPD (U.S. Hardware Predictions)' game that the NeoGAF forums offered before the Report was finalized and released. The Neo GAF seems like a fun, intelligent community, so I would like to help the NeoGAF out by disclosing a few immaterial data points from Thursday's Report, although I do not have the time to participate in your 'console war' topics or respond to queries on a regular basis.

The Report in question is The NPD Group's October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Channel) Report which was released to its important clients on Thursday. It is my understanding that the NeoGAF community regularly discusses and analyzes U.S. Console Hardware point-of-sale data from these reports and would appreciate further disclosure to be able to use in 'console war' discussion.

Please keep in mind that the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) Report tracks a 4-week month with a Reporting Period of 28 days (10/04/15 through 10/31/15), because The NPD Group follows a traditional 4-4-5 retail calendar. This is to ensure that weekly / quarterly periods can be properly compared relative to performance from previous years.

In Thursday's October 2015 Report, The NPD Group reported that Sony's 'PlayStation 4' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 275K. In the same October 2015 Report, Microsoft's 'Xbox One' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 303K. Also, Nintendo's 'Wii U' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 65K.

You can refer to the following Excel bar graph I produced for the Neo GAF which conveniently contextualizes the above point-of-sale data in reference to data from previous NPD Reports:

3PTMZhz.png

It is important to note that NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimates of the size of those other monetization methods.

Whaaaat

How are we disagreeing? I think everything is consolidating towards the top, so you'll see way way way fewer retail releases per year. I am also saying the core buying audience is obviously shrinking. Why do you not think so?

You were bound to see less retail releases per year .
Stuff that used to come out on retail just 2 gen ago can never happen now .
Plus more games moving to a service model .

addik

I know the results are quite underwhelming, but the meltdown is amazing.

The appearance of NPD_George just makes things even more interesting.

3PTMZhz.png

CnxN69Y.gif

Yooooooooooo what's really going on????!!!!!

nib95

Banned

3PTMZhz.png

Hey George, appreciate your post. Do you have an exact number for Halo 5?

Asd202

3PTMZhz.png

Wut?

Septic360

Banned

3PTMZhz.png

mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif

Ohh shieeee

mcrommert

Banned

3PTMZhz.png

What on earth is happening

Occam

3PTMZhz.png

Please be real.

Kinda happy for Microsoft. They needed this. Being on the back foot has done wonders for their overall approach.

edit. "The Neo GAF" is such a give away. High comedy if George is legit.

allan-bh

Sony had to earn that though. PS3 was rough early on. Some PS2 good will for sure but it was a long road with the PS3 and if Xbox One wasn't a complete balls up, I don't think so many 360 users would have jumped to PS4. Yeah, MS coasted with 360 in the end which probably helped push some users away as well while Sony built up momentum. Xbox One would have been a good challenger without the missteps even with the power of the PlayStation brand, Microsoft just kneecapped themselves.

If Microsoft had played their cards right Xbox One would be killing PS4 in USA, I don't have doubts about that.

Unfortunately for then millions of people are crossing the bridge to PS4.

nib95

Banned
Being serious for a second, these results show us two things: the PS4 is coming to an end in NA and Halo as a franchise is already over.

It shows us that the consoles need bigger price drops, and that Halo is still a great seller, just not nearly on the level it used to be.

Ricky_R

PS4 - 275k
Xbox One - 303k
Halo 5 - something under 1 million

Doesn't seem as good as I'd have expected for any of them tbh. Maybe more and more people are waiting for Black Friday these days?

Yeah, we'll see... While it's obvious that there's people who skipped October to get either the SW or the COD bundle, it's not really a great number considering the price drop. There's a UC bundle at $299 for BF iirc though, so it's hard to say.

Anyway, thanks.

Alo0oy

Banned

I don't think the core audience is the one that's shrinking, I think the "casual" audience is the one that it, if consoles work like Steam, the top ~20% of buyers probably buy ~70% of the software, obviously the core audience is bigger on consoles than it is on Steam, but I think they work on the same principle.

The casual audience is still there based on various statements from Sony, but it's nowhere near as big as it was last gen or the PS2 gen.

3PTMZhz.png

Haha Holy shit!

NPD_George out of the blue dropping them bombs. Love it.
Thanks for the info drop buddy, glad to see you make an appearance.

Top Bottom