• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

leeh

this is all to crazy

eAX3kKw.png

man..
So... bundles aren't tracked in the Top 10, so H5 is still 1st without bundles, but the 935k was with bundles?

DIGITAL CANT SAVE US BOYS. BAIL.

Emedan

Am I the only person who thinks it's strange to put an (s) at the end of Million when you specify a number in front of it??

I see this all the time, and have no idea why it bothers me.

"They sold 15 Million" looks right to me.

"They sold Millions" looks right to me.

"They sold 15 Millions" just looks and sounds strange. Why do you need the "s"?

Haha, I know it's a bit OT...but why does it annoy me...I suppose it's right or correct grammar either way? I see a lot of people say that, but then many don't. We were never taught to put an "s" on numbers if the actual amount comes before it.

It's plural and genitive(?)

It's true that Halo 5 has had worse sales than previous episodes, but we've also got to take count of the Xbox One installed base, which is smaller than the 360's when Halo 3 and company came out, plus it is still a success even with these numbers, i mean just for example i don't think there is a Sony first party game which sells as good as Halo is doing, we also have to deal with the fact that now the main Xbox exclusive, at least sales wise, has become Gears of War, i'm curious to see how Gears 4 will sell next year when Xbox One will have a better installed base and a price drop

Not true at all.

Tobor

Halo 6 will launch day and date on Xbox and Windows 10. That much seems clear.

As for Sony, the numbers are low, but they weathered Halo just fine. Sony has to consider that a win.

As everybody else is saying, next month is the real story.

jayu26

It's true that Halo 5 has had worse sales than previous episodes, but we've also got to take count of the Xbox One installed base, which is smaller than the 360's when Halo 3 and company came out, plus it is still a success even with these numbers, i mean just for example i don't think there is a Sony first party game which sells as good as Halo is doing,
None of this true.

Alo0oy

Banned

As for Sony, the numbers are low, but they weathered Halo just fine. Sony has to consider that a win.

Selling 275k in a price drop month is never a win.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Fox and Ubisoft must feel real good now about that expensive asscreed movie they just started filming on.

MisterR

It's true that Halo 5 has had worse sales than previous episodes, but we've also got to take count of the Xbox One installed base, which is smaller than the 360's when Halo 3 and company came out, plus it is still a success even with these numbers, i mean just for example i don't think there is a Sony first party game which sells as good as Halo is doing, we also have to deal with the fact that now the main Xbox exclusive, at least sales wise, has become Gears of War, i'm curious to see how Gears 4 will sell next year when Xbox One will have a better installed base and a price drop

Almost every line of this statement is incorrect. Impressive.

Go_Ly_Dow

Maybe publishers wills start to realise that October/November releases aren't going to provide the honeypot they all want.

Halo 5 and Ass Creed releasing near COD, Fallout, Battlefront and Tomb Raider was a mistake.

Space out your releases to when there are slim pickings......

RexNovis

Banned
Well we have a second confirmation now. Really wish we could make threads for AC and Halo sales declines... They deserve their own discussion threads.

Pages 57-59 is one of the greatest reveals on gaming side.

"It was me The Neo Gaf. It was me ask along!"

Nirolak should update op and link to post.

And that ZhugeEX confirm. My man George got 2 in his corner now.

Seriously, if you have issues with sales threads, don't come in. That's what this is for. For discussion and speculation based on trends and performance. If a major franchise fails to live up to previous expectations, that's a source of discussion, so acting like people are just trying to use it to bask ms or 343 is a strawman.

Please stop with the passive aggressive crap. If you see someone being a blatant troll bashing on it, pm a mod or call them out, rather than just commenting in some super generalizing way.

I have no issues with sales threads hence the reason I'm in here posting in one and I'm up for discussing the impact these sales in both hardware for the PS4 and software sales of Halo 5 and what they could mean for the industry as a whole. I just don't seem to be able to discuss these particular aspects of this months NPD.

Maybe its cause the thread is moving so fast and all I seem to see are funny gifs and memes and people posting doom and gloom without much actual insight or thought.

Maybe ill revisit the thread in a day or two, once everyone has calmed down and we can have a proper discussion without the need for point scoring or console war witty remarks.

Javin98

Banned
Keep trying, every one of your posts in this thread looks like damage control for Microsoft. First off, the XB1 actually has a larger install base than the 360 when their respective non-remastered Halo's launched. Also, not a Sony first party game that sells as good as Halo? Sure...

pastrami

Pages 57-59 is one of the greatest reveals on gaming side.

"It was me The Neo Gaf. It was me ask along!"

Nirolak should update op and link to post.

And that ZhugeEX confirm. My man George got 2 in his corner now.

Only official numbers get updated in the OP. Don't want to draw too much attention to anyone leaking numbers.

jmdajr

Maybe publishers wills start to realise that October/November releases aren't going to provide the honeypot they all want.

Halo 5 and Ass Creed releasing near COD, Fallout, Battlefront and Tomb Raider was a mistake.

Space out your releases when there are slim pickings......

And lots of stuff got delayed too. So yeah I don't know.

People want more games, people want less games.

Space out your releases to when there are slim pickings......

Well, Sony already realised this and other publishers seem to have to looking at the releases early next year.

halo 3 came out two years after 360 launch, same can be said about halo 5 and xbone. And if I'm not mistaken, the xbone has still been outpacing the 360's sales growth, so it's install base should be bigger than the 360's in this same point in time.

I have no issues with sales threads hence the reason I'm in here posting in one and I'm up for discussing the impact these sales in both hardware for the PS4 and software sales of Halo 5 and what they could mean for the industry as a whole. I just don't seem to be able to discuss these particular aspects of this months NPD.

Maybe its cause the thread is moving so fast and all I seem to see are funny gifs and memes and people posting doom and gloom without much actual insight or thought.

Maybe ill revisit the thread in a day or two, once everyone has calmed down and we can have a proper discussion without the need for point scoring or console war witty remarks.

I see a lot of discussion and very few images and memes and one liners.

You honestly think they will shift the whole franchise to PC and lose millions of potential sales and also the savior of Xbox hardware? Nope, they won't.

I think Microsoft will be more critical of the next Halo now, and if it doesn't manage to show growth, then we can think of extreme scenarios like the one you mentioned. Launching day and date with PC won't help the series much, if at all. Halo 5 story ends on a cliffhanger and it is not like the series is available on PC unlike the Xbox One.

93OPjU0.gif

Ricky_R

Maybe you're focusing too much on the posts that bother you? I mean, there's been enough sensitive posts about the topic at hand. I would argue that there's been an overwhelming non-trollish response to these results, compared to other threads.

Guys we need more and more GAFers to try and get jobs at NPD so that when more people are silenced by the NPD ninjas we have more GAFers to take their place. Soon the entire company will be run by GAF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
¡HarlequinPanic!;185318813 said:
where's minecraft.

Finally that and GTA V is out the top ten...lol.

They could be sitting at 11 and 12 tho for all we know.

Alo0oy

Banned
You honestly think they will shift the whole franchise to PC and lose millions of potential sales and also the savior of Xbox hardware? Nope, they won't.

I think Microsoft will be more critical of the next Halo now, and if it doesn't manage to show growth, then we can think of extreme scenarios like the one you mentioned. Launching day and date with PC won't help the series much, if at all. Halo 5 story ends on a cliffhanger and it is not like the series is available on PC unlike the Xbox One.

Yeah, I think diverting the resources of 343i into a new IP would be a better business decision.

Am I the only person who thinks it's strange to put an (s) at the end of Million when you specify a number in front of it??

I see this all the time, and have no idea why it bothers me.

"They sold 15 Million" looks right to me.

"They sold Millions" looks right to me.

"They sold 15 Millions" just looks and sounds strange. Why do you need the "s"?

Haha, I know it's a bit OT...but why does it annoy me...I suppose it's right or correct grammar either way? I see a lot of people say that, but then many don't. We were never taught to put an "s" on numbers if the actual amount comes before it.
no you're not. I feel the same way.

nib95

Banned
I think retailers have made a big mistake making Black Friday and holiday sales such a big focus. Now instead of sales and deals being better spread throughout the year, presumably they're more lopsided mostly towards the last few months of the year instead, at least the its respect to consumer buying habits.

MisterR

The under-performance of their competition is not an excuse for those abysmal numbers.

Those numbers are typical of October numbers and a $50 price drop isn't going to change that much when people know the crazy deals and bundles are coming in November. Now if November numbers are bad, then we may have signs of a problem.

Xando

They will merge Xbox into Windows in the next years and start to publish the games on PC aswell.
Not sure it will happen with the next Halo or later but i think the next Xbox (if there is one) will be normal PC with Xbox big picture mode.

DryvBy

I haven't kept up. Halo 5 is now a flop? Are we getting that by comparing first week sales of Halo 2 or 3 or something?

Alo0oy

Banned
Consumers holding out for Black Friday is the excuse, and it deflated both consoles sales.

Context is important here.
This is the lowest price drop Sony has ever done after the longest period of time .
It also before Nov which is normally full of deals and Sony has had Nov deals up for months now .

The context will be here next month (The PS4 needs to sell at least 1.3m+ in November), but that doesn't mean those numbers aren't terrible.

crinale

I think retailers have made a big mistake making Black Friday and holiday sales such a big focus. Now instead of sales and deals being better spread throughout the year, presumably they're more lopsided towards the last few months of the year instead.

TBF game vendors (especially hardware holders) also contributed to that.

Ricky_R

Yeah, I think diverting the resources of 343i into a new IP would be a better business decision.

I don't know man. We don't have production / marketing costs, but Halo will still make them money. They just need to dial their projections down.

Top Bottom