• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Fallout 4 shipped 12 million unit worldwide!

Jesus. o_O

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/665184522338738176

Meanwhile @ Chrystal Dynamics

ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yep. I would really love to know what actually happened behind the scenes with RotTR. It just doesn't make any whatsoever sense to position that game so poorly.

I think they decided to sacrifice units in favor of ASP because Tomb Raider shipped over 8.5 million copies, but had a very poor average selling price.

They're probably hoping the holidays and the guaranteed bundle sales (Microsoft essentially just purchases X number of copies from the publisher to put in bundles and as an exclusive, helps with their marketing costs as well) will make back most or all of their money up front, and then go for the long tail sales with the ports and low price cuts later.

It's a very conservative strategy from a publisher who was not feeling very confident in themselves at the time.

I just primarily don't get why you'd do this with your most promising franchise, though no one might have been offering to do the same for anything else.

Kill3r7

WOM spreads. The WOM around release was focused primarily on the presence of Microtransactions and the lack of local coop. Neither of those sound particularly appealing to the average consumer.

Regardless their lack of experience with the multiplayer does not magically make your opinion of it into a fact. Some people think the lack of BTB alone makes it a sub par Halo MP experience others think the release of forge maps as a map pack update is incredibly disappointing. But clearly your opinion is the only one that matters because it's undeniably true right?

I never said it was the best. In my opinion Halo 5 is behind Halo 1-3 in MP. I only took issue with your statement that the market doesn't think it is the best. Sales figures have no bearing on whether a game is good or not. The WOM argument is moot. Plenty of people think that Destiny sucks but that has not stopped it from being an absolute juggernaut and one of the best selling games this gen.

No debating the fact that Halo 5 dropped compared to the other games in the series but with 5 days tracking, some digital sales and launching within sight of black Friday I don't see it as quite the nail in the coffin as other folk. I wonder if MS will be looking at moving Halo back into the September time-frame again.

Halo certainly isn't the same juggernaut as it was when it was the shooter in town but I don't see it going away anytime soon.

New002

I know some of the core fans think this way, but I really don't think that'll be reflective of the wider reception of it. Personally I think it'll have a fairly steep drop off in user base and active player numbers. There's so many aspects of its multiplayer that need work. Hell, some, (including me) are already looking to, or have already moved on to something new as a go to MP fix, and I didn't think that'd be the case, especially so soon.

If it were to drop off hard I wouldn't necessarily be surprised, but I'd be disappointed, because it's a fantastic game IMO. I don't consider myself a core Halo fan. I've owned almost all of the halo games, but that was mostly because my friends were/are biiiiiig Halo fans. I personally haven't had a blast with the series since 2, though I had some fun with Reach before I sold it for BFBC2 (best decision ever). All that being said I am loving Halo 5, and so are my buddies that have jumped in so far. I'd be lying if I said they weren't apprehensive about being there day 1 after MCC, but everything has been great for us so far.

It's unforunate to hear that sales may be pretty terrible when compared to previous Halo games, but I'm also not surprised that people aren't running out to buy it. Halo 4 dropped off hard, Halo:MCC was a cluster****, Xbox and MS have been having trouble with the brand since before launch (to say the least). Halo 5 has a lot going against it, but I hope positive words of mouth manages to keep it healthy and active.

Hello, NeoGAF forums.

I really do apologize for not being able to respond to every one of you. I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of the NeoGAF community and forums in general, so there is a lot I do not really understand.

I didn't expect such an overwhelming response! This NeoGAF topic has thousands of posts! Thank you very much for all of the positive support! I really do appreciate it!

I am rather pressed for time with my full-time job, so I deeply apologize for not being able to respond to the numerous people who have 'quoted' me. As I previously mentioned I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of Internet forums, and the NeoGAF is especially perplexing, so I humbly request your patience as I learn about this community.

do you have Destiny TTK sales numbers?

Hi Deku Tree! That's a very interesting name you have there.

Activision Blizzard's marquee expansion 'Destiny, the Taken King,' successor to the wildly popular 2014 juggernaut 'Destiny,' is an expansion which enjoyed robust physical retail sales in its debut month.

Within the September 2015 U.S. Games Industry NPD Report, the expansion sold 713K unit sales in its debut month. Please note that this figure includes all PlayStation 4 Bundles. Although this is lower than the significant debut of the original 'Destiny,' it has undoubtedly enjoyed a high digital adoption rate that reaches far beyond the 700K sales threshold because the existing owners of the Destiny game are encouraged to upgrade digitally for a lower cost.

In the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Report that came out on Thursday, Destiny: The Taken King remained Activision Blizzard's best-selling title at U.S. Retail, slightly above the 200K sales threshold. Again, these figures include unit sales for all Bundles.

On the other hand, the original 'Destiny' Software SKU didn't fare nearly as well, selling only a small fraction of 'The Taken King' equivalent.

RexNovis

Banned
They really should. When you look at WB's succcess, they launched those games at times where they had a whole window to themselves. Even going back to Mordor, they shipped that in September, before the Q4 schedule kicked into full swing.

You don't have to cram as many games as possible so as to have an arbitrary "holiday" lineup.

Yep. The proper release timing can really push a lot of sales for smaller titles. It ought not matter for the big boys but when it comes to the mid tier AAA games it really makes a lot of sense. The question is will they take advantage of the sure thing or gamble it all for bigger sales against the juggernauts. I hope more publishers start to pick the former instead of the latter. Hopefully Tomb Raider will be the giant flashing neon warning sign that the other publishers need to say "hey maybe this isn't such a great idea after all."

A safe range for estimating digital is giving it 15-35% share of early sales. That's a big range, but will likely get you in the area.

I wonder if the below is a fair estimate, if we assume those digital numbers, and assume they are similar WW as well

USA:
1100K < Halo 5 < 1438K

UK:
176K < Halo 5 < 231K

US+UK:
1276K < Halo 5 < 1669K

And assuming US+UK makes about 75% of Halo 5 WW sales

WW:
1701K < Halo 5 < 2225K

Those Halo 5 numbers have to be concerning to Microsoft. I think it will have better than average legs in the United States but we're probably looking at 3 million LTD in the US by next year. I'm not sure those level of sales could support a studio the size of 343i.

I think that the plan between now and 2018 is set in stone and we'll see Microsoft release Halo Wars 2 in 2016, Halo 3 R in 2017 and Halo 6 in 2018 but I'll be interested to see if 343i continues making Halo games after it releases Halo 6 in 2018. If Halo 5 is any sort of indication, Microsoft will have to dramatically reduce it's sales targets for the series going forward and at some point, it will be better to devote that team to something else.

sense

Hello, NeoGAF forums.

I really do apologize for not being able to respond to every one of you. As I previously mentioned I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of the NeoGAF community and forums in general, so there is a lot I do not really understand.

I didn't expect such an overwhelming response! This NeoGAF topic has thousands of posts! Thank you very much for all of the positive support! I really do appreciate it!

I am rather pressed for time with my full-time job, so I deeply apologize for not being able to respond to the numerous people who have 'quoted' me. As I previously mentioned I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of Internet forums, and the NeoGAF is especially perplexing, so I humbly request your patience as I learn about this community.

Activision Blizzard's marquee expansion 'Destiny, the Taken King,' successor to the wildly popular 2014 juggernaut 'Destiny,' is an expansion which enjoyed robust physical retail sales in its debut month.

Within the September 2015 U.S. Games Industry NPD Report, the expansion sold 713K unit sales in its debut month. Please note that this figure includes all PlayStation 4 Bundles. Although this is lower than the significant debut of the original 'Destiny,' it has undoubtedly enjoyed a high digital adoption rate that reaches far beyond the 700K sales threshold because the existing owners of the Destiny game are encouraged to upgrade digitally for a lower cost.

In the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Report that came out on Thursday, Destiny: The Taken King remained Activision Blizzard's best-selling title at U.S. Retail, slightly above the 200K sales threshold. Again, these figures include unit sales for all Bundles.

On the other hand, the original 'Destiny' Software SKU didn't fare nearly as well, selling only a small fraction of 'The Taken King' equivalent.

we just want to say thank you and hope you stick around

nib95

Banned
Hello, NeoGAF forums.

I really do apologize for not being able to respond to every one of you. As I previously mentioned I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of the NeoGAF community and forums in general, so there is a lot I do not really understand.

Thanks for the update dude. And man is it good to have you around!

EGM1966

Yep 100% agree. The plethora of games releasing in the span of three to four months out of the year is just not a sustainable model. It literally dooms lower their releases to failure or at very best mediocrity. Publishers really need to start utilizing the entire colander for release schedules again.
I get impression (purely my own and may not actually match data to be fair) that Sony seems to be shying away from releasing big exclusives during this period probably for this reason.

Let the big multi platform games fight it out and Sony can do well so long as enough people chose their console to play on. They win either way. Better to release their exclusives at quieter times and go for longer tail of sales.

MS still seems to be targeting having big exclusives at this time and I'm not sure that's a good idea anymore particularly with so many big multiplatfofm titles being objectively bigger than their own exclusives now.

Definitely it's looking boom or bust now like when majority of big films launch in summer and some bomb hugely as the "losers" in the fight.

Hello, NeoGAF forums.

And he's back!!!!!

Jarmel

Banned
For Halo, I said this way back in the UK thread:

I feel this holds here as well. We've seen it move from a standout phenomenon to a game that's selling like other big-but-not-tremendous shooters like Battlefield: Hardline, Medal of Honor 2010, or really like just about any game that's moving 5 million units LTD these days.

~1 million in the US is still a good number, 150K in the UK is still a good number, but they're the types of sales of a popular game instead of an industry dominating game that's primarily limited by being single platform.

Halo in 2015 is another good shooter instead of "The Shooter To Get".

I think it's clear that 343i is not creating the wonder that Bungie had. They need to drastically mix it up the next game by either going all in on scope or setpiece. As it stands, they're not cutting it.

I think they decided to sacrifice units in favor of ASP because Tomb Raider shipped over 8.5 million copies, but had a very poor average selling price.

They're probably hoping the holidays and the guaranteed bundle sales (Microsoft essentially just purchases X number of copies from the publisher to put in bundles and as an exclusive, helps with their marketing costs as well) will make back most or all of their money up front, and then go for the long tail sales with the ports and low price cuts later.

It's a very conservative strategy from a publisher who was not feeling very confident in themselves at the time.

I just primarily don't get why you'd do this with your most promising franchise, though no one might have been offering to do the same for anything else.

Still even then it's not like it getting bundles like AC was last year .
Also you would think the ASP would go up since more people would buy it day one .
You would also think it would be cheaper to make than the first one .

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Thanks again.

The major requests from a good amount of users here are sales of Tales of Zestiria, Dragon Quest Heroes and Disgaea 5. Personally, I'd like to know more about Yoshi, Zelda, Splatoon LTD and Transformers' debut. I hope you can answer to as many questions as possible.

RexNovis

Banned
That is market reality for interest and sales for sure. I just play it and I feel it's better than Reach/Halo 4 in every way. That's why to me it's a shame.

Well that's fine and I think you'd find plenty of people who I would agree but that doesn't change the fact that it's an opinion and not a fact. You can't go around posting your opinion as if it were gospel that everyone unanimously agrees with. That's all I'm saying.

It's a sign that a games quality doesn't matter as much as it's perception. Halo 5 is the best Halo game since 3, and may be the best MP Halo yet. More so, when you consider the free DLC it's going to offer.

That is completely subjective and opinion on your part. You are making a conclusory statement that is not supported by what is happening in the market.

I can do similar... True story, I was in a Game Stop on Wednesday and a kid was trading in a copy of Halo 5. I was surprised and asked him why he was trading it. His response was that he didn't like it and none of his friends wanted to play either. I joked about it with the manager of the store and she said that they were getting a lot of trade-ins on the game which was surprising for such a new game centered around multiplayer.

Now, that is a completely anecdotal story that may or may not be true of other Game Stops or trends nationally, but I witnessed it. Therefore, it must be true. That is no different than your statement that Halo 5 is the "best Halo game since 3 and may be the best MP Halo yet."

latest

ethomaz

Banned
Destiny TTK numbers in US are way better than I expected.

It is really getting stream.

I guess the Destiny 2 launch will be huge... CoD like.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's a sign that a games quality doesn't matter as much as it's perception. Halo 5 is the best Halo game since 3, and may be the best MP Halo yet. More so, when you consider the free DLC it's going to offer.

It is the lowest rated mainline Halo game ever, so by one metric it is the worst.

I think there is one lesson to learn. You can buy lightning in a bottle. Games like Halo was the right game at the right time, but that never lasts and you can't simply buy talent to reproduce it. These dev houses that seem to exist to revive the past; 343i, CD, The Coalition (Black Tusk) are all trying to reproduce past franchises instead of creating something new. I'm not sure it is ever going to be a successful model and I feel bad they are made to work on other people's IP instead of making their own.

Can we get some official threads up now for George's numbers? This is incredible stuff. Or do we have to wait until its picked up by a media outlet?

I'm scared to do it myself tbh.

Miles X

No, the Uncharted franchise sold 13 million since UC3 launched, so depending on the legs of 1 & 2, UC3 sold anywhere between 10 to 12 million. & Halo 4 didn't sell 12 million. Halo games typically sell 9-10 million.

Do you have any sort of data to back this up? Nobody believes Uncharted 3 sold north of 10 million dude. Are you taking into account what 1 and 2 sold after 3 released, the PSP version ect?

Hello, NeoGAF forums.

I really do apologize for not being able to respond to every one of you. I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of the NeoGAF community and forums in general, so there is a lot I do not really understand.

So that means Yoshi and also Uncharted are under 200K then. I wonder how much?

Wait.... Halo released with 3 months of preorders being tallied under 1 million? Wasn't 1.5 million the stretch on the low end of expectations? :/

Anyways, yes... we must protect George like he was national treasure for his insight!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Still even then it's not like it getting bundles like AC was last year .
Also you would think the ASP would go up since more people would buy it day one .
You would also think it would be cheaper to make than the first one .

In general I've been negative on this idea for the same reason I've been negative on almost every third party platform exclusive this generation. It doesn't really make sense with today's market dynamics, and they basically all would benefit from more publishing courage.

If we're talking about a game that will sell super low numbers of copies, I can get why that might seem less appealing, but anything expecting 2+ million strikes me as a very poor idea.

Similarly, for the timing element, I feel Warner did a great job illustrating the benefits of spacing out your games even if it might mean less tail end holiday sales, and EA and Ubisoft have done a pretty good job at it too.

Warner is also an interesting case since their lowest performer (Mad Max) was the one they actually released close to the holidays, at the same time as Metal Gear which outshined it.

BokehKing

Banned
No debating the fact that Halo 5 dropped compared to the other games in the series but with 5 days tracking, some digital sales and launching within sight of black Friday I don't see it as quite the nail in the coffin as other folk. I wonder if MS will be looking at moving Halo back into the September time-frame again.

Halo certainly isn't the same juggernaut as it was when it was the shooter in town but I don't see it going away anytime soon.
Nope, September belongs to Destiny, or Bungie rather

deleted

Hello, NeoGAF forums.

Welcome George!

This is amazing! And somehow sounds too good to be true...
I'm looking forward to the information you are providing in these threads.
Have fun participating in the NeoGAF, Geroge.

Atone13

Man this has been a fun npd thread to read, as new player swings into the jungle just before the big holiday season months. Fallout numbers look great, I'm definitely gonna have to get the game this week.

Destiny TTK numbers in US are way better than I expected.

It is really getting stream.

I guess the Destiny 2 launch will be huge... CoD like.

Agreed, I was pretty impressed when I saw those numbers. I do miss playing it, just haven't been able to dedicate the time to justify buying it lately. That may change sooner then later though.

Catdaddy

Yep. I would really love to know what actually happened behind the scenes with RotTR. It just doesn't make any whatsoever sense to position that game so poorly.

Add in the bundle was only available at Best Buy in the states. The numbers for it will be abysmal, especially with those Fallout 4 sales numbers. The only upside, it was leaked a third installment of "new" Lara is in development, so I'm hoping SE doesn't can it based off X1 sales.

Hello, NeoGAF forums.

What a polite young man!

Stanng243

I wonder if the below is a fair estimate, if we assume those digital numbers, and assume they are similar WW as well

USA:
1100K < Halo 5 < 1438K

UK:
176K < Halo 5 < 231K

US+UK:
1276K < Halo 5 < 1669K

And assuming US+UK makes about 75% of Halo 5 WW sales

WW:
1701K < Halo 5 < 2225K

That seems really high. We know Halo with bundles was 935k. Your high end seems very unrealistic. The optimistic estimates I've seen say 35% digital at the most.

Top Bottom