• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

I have a feeling the NX is going to struggle even selling half of what Xbox One is doing WW, let alone PS4.

Nintendo basically squandered nearly every bit of mindshare they had with the Wii-U generation of home consoles.
They still hold some sway among a minority of older gamers and the handheld market. But in terms of home consoles, when it has basically been absent from the market for the last two years in terms of mindshare, I don't think NX is going to be flying off shelves anytime soon no matter the hardware it's packing.

i think they'll have a much wider audience than you're expecting. but i'm also expecting the 'nx' to be multiple form factors playing the same library. so even if the console version sells half what the xbox one does (which would be a damn sight better than what nintendo pulled in this generation), the handheld version will probably make up for the rest. i mean, we've shown this generation that you can sell 10 million mario karts, 3d marios, and pokemons to people. i'd say that's a fair mainstream success in today's market.

Kayant

5OZUtL1.png

This is why I love sales threads. I wonder how many meltdowns we will see this time.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is that there's no info on the total software sold. I think it's been a while since the last time they provided it, right?
Yh last update was Jan iirc.

Hoo-doo

Banned
i think they'll have a much wider audience than you're expecting. but i'm also expecting the 'nx' to be multiple form factors playing the same library. so even if the console version sells half what the xbox one does (which would be a damn sight better than what nintendo pulled in this generation), the handheld version will probably make up for the rest. i mean, we've shown this generation that you can sell 10 million mario karts, 3d marios, and pokemons to people. i'd say that's a fair mainstream success in today's market.

All depends on how they will try to pull that one off.
Either they hit it out of the park or they risk creating two separate jack-of-all-trades master-of-none devices that relies way too hard on their multiple form-factor gimmick, forgetting to actually make it a good all-round games console as priority number one.

And still, even if they manage to create a stellar home console. I don't see them even competing if they can't offer the complete library of third-parties that the other two have.
Nintendo's core franchises alone won't do it these days.

Shahed

The problem with thw NX I expect to see if third party support if the shared library thing is a requirement. Particularly in the west. In Japan it'll be a good thing and you'll get handheld and console versions of games that used to be 3DS only. Kind of like the whole Vita/PS4 thing. Think that will work well with Japanese publisher's.

But in the west? Third party support will be hard to get as it is. However a requirement for a handheld SKU would kill things. Ubisoft may put Assassin's Creed on console NX, but if they have to get it to run on the handheld version as well, they'll probably just bail instead. Same for pretty much all western publisher's.

geordiemp

I have a feeling the NX is going to struggle even selling half of what Xbox One is doing WW, let alone PS4.

Nintendo basically squandered nearly every bit of mindshare they had with the Wii-U generation of home consoles.
They still hold some sway among a minority of older gamers and the handheld market. But in terms of home consoles, when it has basically been absent from the market for the last two years in terms of mindshare, I don't think NX is going to be flying off shelves anytime soon no matter the hardware it's packing.

Agree, and adding to that the move to toys to life which gates on disk content and not embracing the online party coop gaming which is the heart of many mainstream games moves Nintendo target to either very young children or the older existing hardcore fanbase.

Toys to life and a backwards restricted party system in my opinion is a massive negative to many gamers with floating allegiances imo.

Personally I switched from Wii to 360 and then to Ps4, we always have 2 consoles as I play with my son with 2 Tv's and we mainly play online coop games (we dont share screens and do local coop for many years now). 360 won over Wii with its online and party system, and Ps4 won as it now had a good party system and was more capable hardware (Xb1 Ghosts running at 720p killed Xb1 dead to me and all the USA TV crap).

Nintendo have just gone off in a direction which I just dont get , at all. Its easy to see how Ps4 was favoured, they got the online party / friends and playing together right with good hardware design. Its all about third party games and where best to play them with friends online imo

Aliand

Banned

I agree, I feel like the NX will probably remain a "second console system of choice" but with the several form factor, the handled system will be able to put these figures up (my guess is Nintendo will aggregate both versions to look better).

Coming back to the initial subject, it is well deserved for the PS4. It is a great system, and I am much more happier of it than I was of the PS3. Well done Sony!

AniHawk

All depends on how they will try to pull that one off.
Either they hit it out of the park or they risk creating two separate jack-of-all-trades master-of-none devices that relies way too hard on their multiple form-factor gimmick, forgetting to actually make it a good all-round games console as priority number one.

And still, even if they manage to create a stellar home console. I don't see them even competing if they can't offer the complete library of third-parties that the other two have.
Nintendo's core franchises alone won't do it these days.

i think they've shown that half of nintendo's effort plus a good share of japanese support can do it these days. the 3ds, admittedly being hit among the hardest in terms of userbase shrinkage from its predecessor, runs counterpoint to the idea that nintendo is unable to create an ecosystem where a mainstream audience wants to buy nintendo games and similar third-party offerings. i do agree that the hardware needs to be the right type of hardware, but the key point of that is the right type of hardware for the right audience. the handheld for example can't be another vita/3ds/psp where the battery life is low and the system itself has an initial asking price of $249.99. the console on the other hand would yeah, need to be comparable to sony's or at least microsoft's offerings. in theory, it wouldn't need to be the only console nintendo offers though.

Bgamer90

Banned
A five million unit difference? I thought it was gonna be way wider. So that either means Wii-U is doing a lot better than expected, or Xbone's doing way worse.

Neither. The Wii U is doing terrible. It launched a year before the other two consoles.

Elandyll

Banned
I thought they'd keep that announcement for PSX hehe...

35m by year end is absolutely possible, heck US alone could possibly account for about 2.5m across Nov/ Dec.

Aliand

Banned
you don't think that japanese developers moving to mobile (and other digital platforms) is relevant to the industry?

Japanese games are still finding their way to the consoles and handled.
For the ones jumping to the mobile, well, that is probably a loss that will be filled with other games. It is not like we have a game drought at all.

geordiemp

you don't think that japanese developers moving to mobile (and other digital platforms) is relevant to the industry?

My view is that JRPG or turn based games, or even strategy games like say chess are probably just as viable on touch screen based hardware and is a natural move for some developers.

Real time action games will always be at home on console or PC, and for gamers who play COD or Destiny or Fallout 4 for example no I dont think its relevant. The japanese developers who have moved to mobile I dont thik I have played any of their games anyway, except for a couple of Capcom games such as DMC and RE4 and Konami MG. But thats a very short list,

Has nothing to do with "salt". It's a matter of opinion. It's amazing how much can come of a single sentence these days, by the way.

No you just decided to have a conversation in a console sales thread about how ineffectual SFV as an exclusive will be, citing the fact that in your opinion it's profile is less than The Order, which was " stupendously hyped ".

TBiddy

No you just decided to have a conversation in a console sales thread about how ineffectual SFV as an exclusive will be, citing the fact that in your opinion it's profile is less than The Order, which was " stupendously hyped ".

If you'd actually read the original post, you'd see that the main point of the post was that 2015 has been a fantastic year for gamers. For some reason that got twisted into, that I'm salty, passive-aggressive and think that The Order 1886 won't be outsold by SFV.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186718838&postcount=342

edit:

But, I'll leave the thread. There's no point making this thread about me. If anyone wishes to continue the discussion, feel free to PM me.

Boke1879

Wait. He compared the Street Fighter IP to The Order? SF has been around for decades. It's easily recognizable and it's getting plenty of hype and will move more consoles then The Order could dream of.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That list is bad; it has Deep Down in it!

edit: And the Wild guy looks like he is being crucified, omg!

geordiemp

Just curious...whose in GAF have more than one PS4 in his home ?

Got 2 360;s and 2 Ps4 hooked up to 2 Tv's. We dont share no blinkin screen.

It's not fair that a console with no games sells so much™

Thats not why Ps4 sells so well, its because of stuff like below from DF Black ops 3 face off

Multiplayer is the saving grace for the game on both platforms. While resolution drops below the intended 900p on Xbox One, both consoles regularly achieve a slick 60fps experience with noticeable drops limited to explosive scenes. The PS4 version comes out ahead on the basis of providing a higher resolution

The console where popular 3rd party games run best is the deciding factor, and MS gimped XB1 hardware with poor choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom