• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Werewolf |OT| Was it all just a Dream?

Makai

So, I was playing Fallout yesterday...

A7oYDpG.jpg

I don't know about Dave anymore. Palmer didn't outright deconfirm Bakers, but they would have to be modified to prevent catastrophy. I'm accepting the RPG explanation for Dave's behavior for now.

cabot

baker or no baker who gives a baguette, Dave isn't reading as scum to me currently.

I might have to start from the beginning and re-read.

Makai

Are you willing to spend 2 lynches on the chance that one is neutral?

I'm willing to lynch either if they are acting scummy, but just the claim alone is not enough.
Yeah, lynching both until we strike scum is dumb. I think exactly one of them is scum, though. Xam continues to act ridiculous so he's the clear front-runner.

Ultron, do you have an opinion on Xam? I don't remember you saying much.

cabot

Yeah, lynching both until we strike scum is dumb. I think exactly one of them is scum, though. Xam continues to act ridiculous so he's the clear front-runner.

Would scum Xam really behave like this? in my mind this means he must be completely ignoring the scum chat. Anyone who would be in communication with him would have stopped him from making about half the number of posts he's made because they're so dumb.

cabot

Also, if you think exactly one of them is scum and we flip Xam, your front-runner, to be town then we'll need to lynch both sleepwalkers until we strike scum because you believe one of them are scum. So it can't be that dumb.

God my head hurts. Halp.

I very much doubt that Xam is scum. All his posts read like a new player who maybe doesn't have the best handle on the game yet. That would basically explain all his behaviour, including his role claim; he saw Ultron do it so figured he should too.

Anyway, the post I said last night I was going to make today was going to be calling out GreatLord Tiger on that role claim and "reasons I'm not scum" part, but I see a few other people beat me to it.

I'm also not overly impressed by MattyG's contribution, I poked him until he posted his read list, and he did, fair enough, but it didn't really add much, which is just as much a fault of read lists in general in fairness, so I'd like to see him contribute a bit more.

Now to go back and see if I missed anything else.

*Splinter

Alright, lets try this again.

FluxWaveZ

As recently mentioned, I find myself frequently disagreeing with Flux. However looking through his posts they all seem quite genuine, so I don't think its a case of him intentionally selling bullshit. In fact he's been quick to share opinions on all issues that come up, and frequently asks probing questions when he sees something out of the ordinary. I wasn't sure before, but after re-reading his posts I'm leaning town on Flux.

Style

Another that I've been disagreeing with. Style's posts don't give me the such a good feeling even on second read though.

Day 1 was a mess, spent half the day saying "lol I dunno" and the second half defending himself. Activity rose but actual contributions remained low. Then there was that weird vote on Cabot that was apparently a mistake but never corrected.

Day 2 starts with role rishing on Dave and Makai. Also throws a lot of shade at Crimson for being the deputy (to me, it makes absolutely no sense for wolves to want deputy this early). Here he says that reads are hard, so he won't be trying - terrible reasoning, we can't expect scum to reveal themselves without effort on our part. The wording of this post also suggests he is more concerned with people suspecting him from his read list, rather than wanting to share ideas and actively route out scum.

Finally there is a vote on CzarTim. While I'm not hugely convinced by the logic in this post it is definitely drawing attention to a player that hasn't been in the spotlight much. I think this is the most proactive Style has been all game, and I'd like to see more.

For now though, I'm leaning scum. I'm not satisfied with Style's early contributions and I find some of his targets very suspect.

Makai

Makai really hasn't done much this game. He made that clumsy save on Dave (and to be fair I agree with his analysis that the Dave vote was about to take off), but apart from that there's almost nothing I can really read into...

I don't know who his current suspects are?
I don't know who he currently trusts?

I think Makai is town, but I need him to start providing reads and generally pulling his weight.

Of the people I haven't done yet, I think Xam, Boo and batsnacks stand out the most. I'm not expecting to get to them today though.

cabot

UNVOTE

VOTE: Trigger

no shame. Trigger come on in and join Bakerfest 2015.

Would you like some Bread?

Summarize what's before you.

*Splinter

This question will look odd, but it might clear something up for me.

Lollipop Dave

Could you give me a quick agree/disagree/unsure for each of my reads so far? They are here, here and here, but for your convenience here's a quick summary:

Darryl - Town
CornBro - Scum
Cabot - Town
CzarTim - Town
Swamped - Town
kingkitty - Town
Ultron - Town
CrimsonFist - Town
Lollipop Dave - Town
Rats - Town*
ZippedPinhead - Scum
FluxWaveZ - Town
Style - Scum
Makai - Town

*This one was actually null, but you can't agree/disagree with that

Trigger

I'll be spending most of today trying to get a better idea of what's happened. There's been a lot of discussion so far. Not sure where I stand on many people yet.

ultron87

Hi, yeah. Sorry I didn't post at all yesterday. Was a crazy day at work with us finding out someone was flaking out and not actually doing anything and thus a project was way behind and ugh. Should be calmer today.

I was initially skeptical of his claim, since it was soooo easy to make and just say "hey, that's me too!" Thought he might be scum making a big gambit. With Terra's role reveal and the way Terra voted at the end of the day I don't think he's scum anymore. First, the odds of there being an actual scum sleepwalker and another scum claiming to be a sleepwalker feels like a pretty colossal risk to take. Because it gets us in the situation where, as we're seeing now, everyone is like "hey, that's a lot of sleepwalkers". And as has been mentioned before Terra seemed entirely unconcerned with which of us to vote out.

Xam could be a neutral sleepwalker who does some other thing to or has to visit like 7 people till he wins or whatever. Someone had pointed out that this game might have a theme of sleep and dreams due to the thread title. In that case it would make sense for there to be sleep related roles on each faction.

who does some other thing to or has to visit like 7 people till he wins or whatever. Someone had pointed out that this game might have a theme of sleep and dreams due to the thread title. In that case it would make sense for there to be sleep related roles on each faction.
Funny, I think you're the neutral sleepwalker

Ok, since it's come up a few times, how realistic do people actually think the idea of a neutral sleepwalker is?

It seems a very odd role to be in the game to me, since the sleepwalker would essentially have no control of their night actions, so them winning would be a good part down to luck.

cabot

Ok, since it's come up a few times, how realistic do people actually think the idea of a neutral sleepwalker is?

It seems a very odd role to be in the game to me, since the sleepwalker would essentially have no control of their night actions, so them winning would be a good part down to luck.

Don't believe it.

Darryl - Town (Would have disagreed, I thought he was perhaps scum but I was wrong)
CornBro - Scum (Agree)
Cabot - Town (Disagree)
CzarTim - Town (Agree)
Swamped - Town (Disagree)
kingkitty - Town (Agree)
Ultron - Town (Unsure)
CrimsonFist - Town (Unsure, but leaning more towards town/neutral)
Rats - Town* [B}(Unsure but was leaning towards scum)[/B]
ZippedPinhead - Scum (Unsure)
FluxWaveZ - Town (Unsure)
Style - Scum (Disagree, I think he's neutral)
Makai - Town (Unsure)

Don't believe it.
I believe a neutral sleepwalker, like as suggested earlier, might also have a secondary role/power besides sleepwalking each night.
Or, perhaps, the neutrals know who they visit or learn the power of whoever they visit

Trigger

On a purely meta-level it seems silly. I don't put much stock into the idea.

Lollipop Dave

Could you give me a quick agree/disagree/unsure for each of my reads so far? They are here, here and here, but for your convenience here's a quick summary:

Darryl - Town
CornBro - Scum
Cabot - Town
CzarTim - Town
Swamped - Town
kingkitty - Town
Ultron - Town
CrimsonFist - Town
Lollipop Dave - Town
Rats - Town*
ZippedPinhead - Scum
FluxWaveZ - Town
Style - Scum
Makai - Town

I'm not sure why you included Darryl or rats...

But Yes=agree, No=disagree, there is no unsure...

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
No

I think you are underestimating the total amount of people on the scum team/ night threats. This is a really big game, and only four scum out of those reads? I'. Putting the list more at 5-6. Truthfully, you are the only person I am unsure about my great and worthy opponent. You are playing very similarly to the last game we played together (and if I remember correctly you were scum and I read you right)

batsnacks

I believe a neutral sleepwalker, like as suggested earlier, might also have a secondary role/power besides sleepwalking each night.
Or, perhaps, the neutrals know who they visit or learn the power of whoever they visit

What would be their win condition though? If I were a neutral sleepwalker and my win condition was "Survive <x> nights" I would have mentioned that with my claim to increase my chances of survival.

Trigger

UNVOTE

VOTE: Trigger

no shame. Trigger come on in and join Bakerfest 2015.

Would you like some Bread?

Summarize what's before you.

Oh, and I haven't ignored this post. There's just a large number of people to get reads on. Summarizing 30 pages worth of werewolf ain't easy.

Bread makes you fat!

What would be their win condition though? If I were a neutral sleepwalker and my win condition was "Survive <x> nights" I would have mentioned that with my claim to increase my chances of survival.
Maybe "every night randomly visit a person, you know the role the person has but not the identity of the person, on the third night you have the ability to kill a player, and if you successfully kill the player, you win" or something similar

Your insistence that a neutral sleepwalker might actually be a thing is making me doubt you again.

A secondary power besides sleepwalking would not negate the randomness factor that I mentioned. I would not consider it good game design to have a win criteria based around something entirely chance based like that.

I'm not saying that a sleepwalker couldn't have a secondary power, you could have someone randomly killing people at night for example, I think there was someone with that role in Harry Potter, but they would more likely be town aligned.

Your insistence that a neutral sleepwalker might actually be a thing is making me doubt you again.

A secondary power besides sleepwalking would not negate the randomness factor that I mentioned. I would not consider it good game design to have a win criteria based around something entirely chance based like that.

I'm not saying that a sleepwalker couldn't have a secondary power, you could have someone randomly killing people at night for example, I think there was someone with that role in Harry Potter, but they would more likely be town aligned.
I did some reading, and there is a variant of Sleepwalker that is Town-aligned that kills whoever he visits the third night onwards, so maybe that is what Ultron is?

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I think we either "accept" both are town for now and go on to discuss other stuff, or continue entertaining the possibility that one of them might be scum - neutral SW doesn't make sense to me. As someone already suggested yesterday, making the wrong call would mean whoever the fake sleepwalker is could continue doing the nk command every night and if he's found out he already has a role claim out there that justifies his night-doings. Sure, we'd probably lynch them right then and there, but damn would that feel silly. I still feel wary of Xam's multiple posts that talk about which role is and isn't in the game, when he's been told already talking about potential PRs is not particularly pro-town, but I'm willing to admit that might be just newbie talk.

We should also remember that Palmer has said there are no negative-utility roles in this game.

cabot

I did some reading, and there is a variant of Sleepwalker that is Town-aligned that kills whoever he visits the third night onwards, so maybe that is what Ultron is?

giphy.gif

I've actually read about a sleepwalker variation that also has a side ability as a Bulletproof Miller Vigilante.

This is a joke. Do not run with this.

Timeaisis

I mean, it's still possible we have 3 SWs (or had, I guess): one scum, two town. I know we were making a big deal about "that's a lot of sleepwalkers", but it is a 29 person game.

Additionally, one of our sleepwalkers could have an additional power that they're not revealing. I don't think it's that unreasonable.

In regards to Xam. I don't think he's scum. I've moved on from that suspicion. He's very defensive, but I think that's in line with the amount of accusations on him.

Swamped

Banned
You know, our win condition is to "eliminate all threats" so in my head I automatically assumed it meant that any 3P in this game were destructive. But of course, neutral survivors don't pose a threat to Village. So technically they could exist. I think our win condition is not indicative of what sort of 3p are in this game. There has to be at least 1 destructive power though, otherwise our win condition would have been "eliminate all wolves"

Sorry if this seemed obvious to everyone, just me thinking out loud.

I hope I didn't just give a neutral/wolf the perfect fake claim lol...

---

Crimson - regarding deputizing, just do whomever is at the top of your town list. Our if you're having trouble choosing, give us a short list of possible candidates and we can vote on them. At this early stage in the game i don't think it's worth the trouble of going through a full-fledged voting process.

Swamped

Banned
Fair enough. I'll probably end up giving it to Cabot then, if there's no objections to that, although I'll wait until the last minute.

Just wondering, can you only user the "deputize" command once a day, or can you use it multiple times and only the last one counts?

Timeaisis

Giant post incoming.

I keep going back to this post anyway, so I figured I'd just post the contents here.

Votes on Darryl at the end.

darryl (10)
cornburrito 364 (853)
batsnacks 663
czartim 719 (961)
starsketch 735 (754)
swamped 790
xamtheking 845 (923)
darryl 850 (907)
*splinter 884 (919)
ultron87 906 (943)
cabot 954
czartim 961
terrabyte20xx 965
cornburrito 971
drop 976
drop 976
xamtheking 978
fluxwavez 979

It's a lot to process, but check the post numbers. Gives you a good indicator of a what juncture people started voting Darry. He was acting weird all day, but only 30 or so minutes before it was between Xam and Ultron. But then Darryl did some crazy gambit. It looks like this:

Scum partners come save me. Any minute now

There's 2 hours left and the difference between me and another guy is 1, and there was a whole 3 votes on them. There is probably 5 mafia in this game. I have 4 votes. Clearly I have a team working to ensure my safety. Has there been any sign in me arguing over the past 2 days that there has been coordinated support of anything I say? It doesn't even appear people have read the stuff I have said.

Vote: Darryl

Honestly, after reading it again in hindsight, he makes a really good point. But, of course, in the heat of the moment, people see this as weird ass behavior (it still is) and jump on the Darryl bandwagon to avoid having to decide between Xam and Ultron.

Before this happened, Darryl had already had 4 votes on him. They were:
cornburrito 364
batsnacks 663
czartim 719
swamped 790

After these few posts occurred, well, you can see the fallout in the first list I posted above. Xam was immediate to jump. First post Darryl makes, he jumps on him.
Scum partners come save me. Any minute now

In that case
I don't think that's suspicious, but it's worth noting.

Then, Darryl makes his points and votes for himself, again, re-posting for clarity

There's 2 hours left and the difference between me and another guy is 1, and there was a whole 3 votes on them. There is probably 5 mafia in this game. I have 4 votes. Clearly I have a team working to ensure my safety. Has there been any sign in me arguing over the past 2 days that there has been coordinated support of anything I say? It doesn't even appear people have read the stuff I have said.

Interesting to note here that the bandwagon doesn't immediately start. There's some back and forth about Darryl vs Xam vs Ultron (ultron is mostly passed on).

Here's an interesting post right in the thick of it.
Just looked at the vote count and there's a tie. Therefore as promised:

VOTE: Xamtheking

For various reasons including but not limited to his role claim and how he's been playing this game as well as his recent posts.

I'm not feeling confident on Darryl, but I see Xam as more likely to be scum.

That's TB, our confirmed wolf, voting for Xam, and claiming he's not confident in Darryl either. Maybe he knows the way the winds are blowing, who knows. He votes for Darryl later on, right in the middle of the giant bandwagon with like 20 minutes left. I'd make a case that TB wouldn't vote for Xam and Darryl if they were both scum so late in the day. Or you could interpret it as (if Xam is scum), bussing Xam, and then switching to Darryl once he sees where that is going.

A final interesting note, and I can't quot it all because it's like 5 or 6 posts, but check this page: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145600&page=18

You'll notice Splinter talking a lot. You'll also notice Splinter voting a lot. I'm leaving out his big read list, which you can read here. But check out his voting pattern. This is all in like an hour.

K, in future I'm policy lynching self-votes

I'm also tempted to policy lynch Darryl for all the bitching and moaning, but I think he's town so I won't.

Darryl, stop being a drama queen, we have two hours left and the votes are still spread pretty thinly. I have no idea who is likely to be lynched at this point.

Jeeeesus Christ. OK. Hm.

Tempted to vote for Darryl just to make the thread a it more posi
don't worry I won't because that would be stupid

I'm not massively into how Xam is playing atm, seems to be doing a lot of following, but I dunno if that's just newnessor if it's him trying to seem relevant.

Style, again, it's hard to tell if it's just newness giving people wolf vibes or not.

Ugh. I dunno. I'm going to wait to see how it pans out, since it looks like it's going to be pretty tight and we don't want a no lynch.
Yeah this'll do

VOTE: RobotNinjaHornets

Reads incoming btw

Ok I might be too late to vote Zipped? If its really down to Xam v Darryl I'll have to vote Xam, he's been really suspect at times but if anything I'd expect his teammates to be giving him more guidance...

Terrabyte I still want you to explain your vote on Zipped, even if you don't get to do that today

ehhh I'm really torn on this, so lets try and make things interesting

VOTE: Darryl

Can someone post a timer pls ty

From thinking Darryl is town to making it interesting by voting him. In the matter of a little more than an hour. Interesting.

But, of course, he changes it again.
I don't know if he's scum, just of a choice between the two sleepwalkers I'd kill him.

That's not happening though.
Agree with this

In fact it's probably too late to matter now, but I don't like having my vote end on a player I wouldn't want to lynch

VOTE: Ultron87

This is not as a response to his recent post. That was a fine point (but the first one he's made all game)
At this point, Ultron gets a lot of votes again. He chimes in to vote for Darryl.

I think we saw your team come out to save you somewhere in the 4 votes for Xam after you made it somewhat plausible to do so after your "woe is me" and self vote posts.

Bunch of people bandwagon on him in like 5 minutes.
Look who's part of the party:
If you say so:

VOTE: Ultron87

It's worth noting, right before the Ultron bandwagon Xam was in the lead with 9 votes, and Darryl has 6. After the bandwagon, Ultron had 8, Xam had 6 and Darryl had 4. Then, Darryl (who has his vote on ultron), unvotes Ultron and votes...starsketch? Which, inevitably, leads to a 7-7 tie. Then, people get pissed at Darryl for forcing a tie and start voting for him because they are tired of his shit.

Back to a tie
Why is everyone voting Darryl when he's not gonna get enough votes
Lol, funny in hindsight.
Of course, Terrabyte gets in on the action, too, as quoted above (I think?).
VOTE: Darryl

Enough of this garbage.

Then, Drop, in the most important post of the game so far, Double votes Darryl.
Double: Darryl

Which prompts the final couple votes for Darryl, enough to seal his fate. First it's Xam, then Flux.

So what can we make of this? Well, TB's voting pattern tells me he doesn't really care who gets killed out of Ultron, Xam or Darryl, just that one of them dies. Which leads me to believe that possibly all three are town (well, Darryl obviously was). What else? Well, Splinter has some weird posts and voting history in the final stretch. He jumped around an awful lot, voting for pretty much everyone up for contention, but ending up with a final vote for Ultron.

What else can it tell us? I'm not sure, but it sure was a clusterfuck.

Make of this what you will. It was good for me to review this and write it up, anyway.

cabot

I do plan on talking about this more but I will say everyone should remember Terra's PM. If a wolf dies, he becomes a normal wolf with killing powers.

Bussing D1 is a bit brash for sure, but it would be a nice easy way to win some town favour (especially since a few people were singling out Terra yesterday) and also allow him to become a full member of the wolves.

For this reason, I'm not completely discounting who TB voted for at the end of the day.

cabot

Thanks for that nice post, Time. do think you're onto something with splinter's....erratic pattern. I only remembered the Darryl one sticking out like a sore thumb, because it seemed to be for nothing else than causing last minute shenanigans.

*Splinter

Re: Darryl v Xam

I still felt Darryl was town, but I thought Xam was too. I wasn't sure what to do there so I voted Darryl to bring the vote closer just to see what would happen. Literally to "make things interesting".

Later I voted Ultron, this was another choice I wasn't super keen on but I thought voting for anyone else would gain no traction and therefore be wasted. Another reason I chose Ultron was he wasn't a (useful) PR and I didn't want to last-minute swing the vote onto a doctor or something. He was a relatively risk free option and has been, to some extent, cleared by the votes that followed (TB).

Lollipop Dave

Darryl - Town
CornBro - Scum
Cabot - Town
CzarTim - Town
Swamped - Town
kingkitty - Town
Ultron - Town
CrimsonFist - Town
Lollipop Dave - Town
Rats - Town*
ZippedPinhead - Scum
FluxWaveZ - Town
Style - Scum
Makai - Town

So I am still a scum read despite your reasoning for that being based on complete falsehoods?

Swamped

Banned
I do believe that Splinter's vote on Darryl was to 'make things interesting'.

In a previous game when I was scum and Splinter was town, I actually killed Splinter because of his voting unpredictability, especially during the last part of a day phase.

Those last minute vote changes can yield some pretty useful information, but only if one of the vote forerunners is scum. If not, then scum reacts pretty apathetically to the situation, as Terra demonstrated at the end of D1.

I'm still leaning town on Splinter.

I do believe that Splinter's vote on Darryl was to 'make things interesting'.

In a previous game when I was scum and Splinter was town, I actually killed Splinter because of his voting unpredictability, especially during the last part of a day phase.

Those last minute vote changes can yield some pretty useful information, but only if one of the vote forerunners is scum. If not, then scum reacts pretty apathetically to the situation, as Terra demonstrated at the end of D1.

I'm still leaning town on Splinter.

Yeah, I remember Town Splinter engaging in some erratic voting in the Gafia game. Not much of a scumtell, in his particular case.

Top Bottom