• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 beep. Anyway to turn it off?!

GravyButt

So this maybe one of the most randomest questions asked in a long ass time on here. Anyway to turn off the loud beep when you turn on the ps4?! I dont know what it is, but no matter what it wakes my daughter up. I swear she could hear it over a jet plane. It makes gaming at night impossible if I forget to turn it on before she falls asleep (like tonight.)

Trust me ive tried everything (minus moving my ps4 to the basement which I really don't want to do) and it never fails, wakes her up every time!

JoseLopez

Wait the beep that happens when you turn on the console? Op just put pillows over the console or anything that is sound proof.

_SAKY_

Open it up. Cut a wire.

Thankfully I don't have this issue, kid sleeps through everything. Good luck OP.

Not sure, but my PS4 had "the beeps" for a while and it just kinda went away. Sometimes it would turn on and start beeping repeatedly at 4AM and it scared me half to death. It would usually be accompanied with the inserted disk being spit out. Hasn't happened in a few months though. And yeah, I would disable the beep if I could. It's obnoxious. And screw those fancy ass buttons for power and eject. Would much rather have ones similar to my PS Slim.

Sadly there's no way to turn it off, and you'll have to alter the hardware.

Here's what Google has told me:

Step A. Teardown your PS4 - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493
Step B. "At Step 20, look at first image, lower right corner, black cylinder. A piezoelectric speaker capable of emitting simple beeps."

31Yviwd.jpg

dFFZWDCl.jpg
Step C. Remove or muffle the speaker.

This can either be:
- "Cover the speaker with electrical tape, cotton, hockey tape, etc (or even better, hot plastic glue) so you can muffle the beeps"; or
- "Take risk and completely desolder and rip the speaker out, and it'll never beep again".

Step D. Reassemble (and Profit).

Good luck!

joecanada

Now that I think about it, it is a bit old fashioned to have that loud ass beep. My gf can hear it across the house " I thought you were doing homework " lol

CDX

Sadly there's no way to turn it off, and you'll have to alter the hardware. Here's what Google has told me:

A. Teardown your PS4 - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493
B. "Step 20, first image, lower right corner, black cylinder. A piezoelectric speaker capable of emitting simple beeps."

C. ?
D. Profit

C can either be "cover the speaker so you don't hear beeps with either electrical tape or hockey tape", or "take risk and completely rip the speaker out".

Yep, if you don't care about the warranty and you REALLY want to stop the beep. Just open it up and remove the speaker or you could try putting tape over it or something.

Other than that there is probably not much else you can do. So if you don't want to do that and void your warranty, you'll just have to live with the beep.

GravyButt

I like option C. Where is this speaker to cover?! And would it possibly screw up anything?!

It's actually pretty far from her crib. It literally travels through 4 fn walls. Ive closed her door too as well to try to see if that would work (just as a test) and that didn't help. Heck I even turned musical lamby on in her crib. Noooooooope.

It's literally a bat signal so to speak. We must somehow get playstation to disable this haha

GravyButt

My first kid is due this spring. Thanks for the heads up, OP! A dog whistle for infants, lmao.

Enjoy! Ill be honest, I was the guy that told my wife I never ever wanted kids. I was perfectly content being an uncle. I had a cancer scare and saw how scared my wife was of being left alone. Changed my mind and once my daughter was born it was literally the best thing that has ever happened to me. Talk about love at first sight! :)

I like option C. Where is this speaker to cover?! And would it possibly screw up anything?!

It's actually pretty far from her crib. It literally travels through 4 fn walls. Ive closed her door too as well to try to see if that would work (just as a test) and that didn't help. Heck I even turned musical lamby on in her crib. Noooooooope.

It's literally a bat signal so to speak. We must somehow get playstation to disable this haha

It first requires disassembly and voiding of warranty. Read my steps above. I reformatted it a bit.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

Once you reach step 20, cover or remove the piezoelectric speaker/buzzer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JAhv9Ed-N4

It's a 25 minute procedure (total 1 hour, assembly included). You'll need tools as mentioned in ifixit link. Good luck!

mr_chun

Enjoy! Ill be honest, I was the guy that told my wife I never ever wanted kids. I was perfectly content being an uncle. I had a cancer scare and saw how scared my wife was of being left alone. Changed my mind and once my daughter was born it was literally the best thing that has ever happened to me. Talk about love at first sight! :)
We've been trying for about as long as Kingdom Hearts 3 still has left in its development cycle. We're really excited, long time coming. Glad it made your life better! :)

EricGRIT09

Neo Member
Turn on the PS4 before putting the baby to bed and make sure the PS4 doesn't go to sleep before you want to use it.

I accept Google Wallet and Paypal, kthx.

Krejlooc

Banned
Now that I think about it, it is a bit old fashioned to have that loud ass beep. My gf can hear it across the house " I thought you were doing homework " lol

It's not old fashioned, it's fail proof. It's the reason there is still pc speakers. It's so the playstation can beep out an error code in case of video failure.

Everything has a beep. Except Wii U and PC.

Probly tells you something right there.

PCs most certainly have post beeps.

It's not old fashioned, it's fail proof. It's the reason there is still pc speakers. It's so the playstation can beep out an error code in case of video failure.

PCs most certainly have post beeps.

Doesn't mean that it is right. It is obviously intrusive and bothersome to many. It was not an issue with PS1, PS2 or PS3.

majik13

Ive asked the same thing and yeah, Sucks.

Even if that were the case, that doesn't mean you have to have a beep on startup no matter what. Save it for just an error code if the user wants.

GavinGT

Banned
It's really not very loud at all. Flushing a toilet or closing a door or making toast or using the microwave would create just as much noise if not more.

Krejlooc

Banned
Doesn't mean that it is right. It is obviously intrusive and bothersome to many. It was not an issue with PS1, PS2 or PS3.

Uh, PS3 has a post beep.

And the PS1 and PS2 lacking post beep is actually a bad thing, because there were a variety of issues that could cause it to not boot and a post beep would have been very useful.

Krejlooc

Banned
Maybe if it's a laptop, telling you it is low on battery. My PC never lets out a beep, even if it has a BSOD.

Why would it beep on BSOD? The post beep is a function of bios, it has nothing to do with your OS.

Your PC definitely beeps - all motherboards for the past 30 years have. You just don't have your PC speaker connected.

Dazza

You don't have kids, I presume? Babies can hear a pin drop five blocks down when you really want them to go to sleep.

Seriously do yourself a favour and try NOT to make your child sleeping area dead quiet all the time. It is so much easier if you train them so they can sleep anytime and anywhere

mr_chun

It's really not very loud at all. Flushing a toilet or closing a door or making toast or using the microwave would create just as much noise if not more.
Tell that to my wife. The beep wakes her up every time I boot up or boot down, without fail.

why the fuck did sony make it exactly the same as the Ps3's? The same fucking ring to turn on that we've heard for 7 godforsaken years

Furyous

We could petition Sony to allow us to disable the speaker via software instead of voiding our warranties. I'm too lazy to open up my $400 PS4. Nah, I'll wait for Sony to fix this.

Why would it beep on BSOD? The post beep is a function of bios, it has nothing to do with your OS.

Your PC definitely beeps - all motherboards for the past 30 years have. You just don't have your PC speaker connected.

I've worked on multiple modern computer builds. All of them have post beeps disabled by default. The LED screens with error codes are a billion times better.

Seriously do yourself a favour and try NOT to make your child sleeping area dead quiet all the time. It is so much easier if you train them so they can sleep anytime and anywhere
This is true, we made the mistake of allowing him to sleep when it's super quiet. I remember farting one time and I woke him up. Wife was pissed, but I felt great!

The beeping is still more annoying though.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've worked on multiple modern computer builds. All of them have post beeps disabled by default. The LED screens with error codes are a billion times better.

I'm going to need model numbers, because I've been building computers since 1989 and I have never, ever purchased a motherboard without post beep enabled by default.

Uh, PS3 has a post beep.

And the PS1 and PS2 lacking post beep is actually a bad thing, because there were a variety of issues that could cause it to not boot and a post beep would have been very useful.

Not nearly as loud.

What does XB1 do when it is launched?

GavinGT

Banned

Except when the mobo can't output anything to the screen and all you have to go off of is the post beep code.

Top Bottom