• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Just played with a team who was legitimately impressed with my tactics. I played Rook and Montagne that match, only dying in the second round (which we still won due to an excellent play on our Sledge's part). As Rook, though, I played "floating defense", slowly moving about the house and picking off the enemy as they tried to enter.

My final crazy attack was using our sole remaining defender as bait for the last two attackers (I'd killed two of them already, while another was picked off by our Mute). I heard the enemy breach the front door to move to attack him, and as soon as I heard gunfire, I crept out from the kitchen and shot them both while their backs were turned.

Buddy, if you're reading this, I'm sorry I used you as bait and didn't tell you, but I'm glad you didn't die; I'd have felt awful if you were penalized as part of my strategy.

We finished up the match, 9/1 with a flawless victory (I had both round ending killcams when we played on defense, too).

e9POJGp.jpg
ZV1J1Dc.jpg
gAzXYzK.jpg

All in all, this match taught me the importance of diversifying roles as a defense. If you can anticipate the enemy's location, you don't have to wait for them. This was the first time I ever played like that, and it paid off immensely. I'm so used to hunkering down, that the whole time I played the match, my heart was beating like mad. The results speak for themselves, however.

Pearson

Banned
I need to get my hands on 'Art of Siege' book.

Anyone know where I can get this? I bought the game digitally so I cannot simply return the game and buy physical with the book.

I need someone to explain why castle isn't completely useless.

His ability to place barricades forces the enemy team to either risk exposure through a massive, load explosion, or funnel them in a different direction. Paired with Mute, his doors effectively become walls that can only be destroyed by Sledge or Ash. And even then, those are very loud solutions to clear out an area that the defenders didn't want the attackers near; in other words, an area they're still watching carefully.

Plus, his barricades allow for Operators like Kapkan to place their traps at other choke points, effectively creating a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for the unaware, and a very tricky situation where the attackers have to expose themselves in order to progress. Castle, played right, will have his team protected while simultaneously forcing the enemies to expose and reveal themselves. The fact that his barricades take time to destroy also means they make for excellent cutoffs for wannabe escape artists.

Klyka

Banned
Can someone give me some tips on what to actually reinforce?

I feel that everyone just reinforcing that 1 little area the objective is in and then sitting in there and waiting is not actually the best way to go.

I want to think that spreading out more and creating more layered defenses will help as well if not more.

A short summary of tips and facts, just because some people probably missed the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeQyk7G8-c) and some other random tips, with many of them already mentioned here:

- learn the maps, it's really worth it
- (re)learn to listen to the sound in the game, which an be hard if you played a lot of BF, CoD or similar games

- you can jump over jammers with your drone

- aiming your drone up will make it jump slightly higher

- Sledge can one-hit barb wire with his hammer

- you can melee Castle's barricade which takes 12 hits to break down

- if you are in a hurry and on a rope you can breach a wall (with a breaching charge) while jumping in

- as a defender never ever barricade yourself and the whole team into a small room and wait for the enemy. 1-3 teammates should go to completely other spots of the map for flanking etc.

- use breaching charges as a distraction, i.e. let them explode and create an new entry and at the same time enter from another spot (this will do wonders vs randoms)

- check the armor and speed rating of the operators, right now many people ignore them

- remember that the enemy will get a notification everytime you scan him with you drone or camera

- you can use yourvisible bullet trails and change positions to bluff your enemy

- learn what walls can be fully destroyed, right now in most games this feature is way to under-used

- even more important: learn what walls can be partially destroyed by guns or other items to create new line of sights on the same level or even above or beneath (that's a highly under-used tactic especially for defenders where this really can change everything)

- shooting holes in the wall also will let you hear noises / foot steps that otherwise you would not hear through a solid wall

- use prone to spot and shoot enemys standing before barriers

- accustom to leaning, one of the most important tools in R6 Siege

- use explosives, grenades vs shield guys of shoot at them at their feet or hand, wait until they reload or just run and try to flank them

- a melee hit at the front of a shield guy will temporarily knock the shield away

- Ash's special weapon can destroy deployable shields

- you can cook explosive grenades

- always remembers that you shoot through many walls, you don't always need to sneak peak around a wall - just shoot through the wall (in general: breachable wall [with or w/o natural metal reinforcement] = you can shoout through it)

- remember that you can continue to use you first drone as a attacker after the preparation phase, so always try to get a good spot near the target or even in the target room and remember that you can jump on desks, shelves etc. which makes it a lot harder to spot you

- ...and do not forget that you have a second drone as an attacker - use it

- Glaz can penetrate reinforced walls of Castle with his main weapon as well a other impenetrabable things like the windows on the plane map

- Castle will get +1 barrier if an ally destroys it

- always instantly buy the front grip for all weapons

- laser sights can be seen by other players (but it's hard)

- Mute's jammers will also disable the flash of Blitz his shield

- most of the times a flash hider provides better recoil reduction than a compensator, just take a closer look at the recoild pattern graphic

- EMP grenades go through walls

- shock wire and jammers only cover one wall and not two, even if it's placed right betweens two walls

- you can pick-up unused explosives and other items (c4, any explosive charges, Smoke's grenades, barb wire, deployable shields, ...) ...

- ...and use jammers in the preparation phase to block drones and after the preparation phase pick them up again and put them down to reinforced walls

- jammers do not cover ceilings

- IQ's elecronic scanning device can not be blocked by jammers

- remember that you can always select the recruit as an operator, who has a highly customizable loadout (i.e. stock up with grenades vs a shield heavy attacker team, ...)

- EMP grenades also disable Pulse's heart beat monitor

- only shoot one hole into a barricade to recognize movement on the other side and then shoot through the barricade (often the opposing team will rarely notice on small hole)

- Smoke can run through his own gas clouds

- if you have less than 50 HP an ally can kill and revive you, which will always give you 50 HP

- with Kapkan you can setup a laser mine, build a barricade, destroy it and build a new one and often the debris will make it harder to see the laser...

Following on from what Triscuitable said, his walls also force opponents to use a thermite charge to breach, which give you plenty of warning that someone is coming through.

Any breaching charge works, actually. But here's the thing:

1. Breaching charges actually make a lot of noise, and when the attackers are going in quietly, you can the easily hear sound of the charge being laid over the frame and folded out.
  2. People laying down breaching charges on door frames expose their feet, which is a surprisingly effective means of picking off the enemy. This goes for normal barricades, too, but moreso on the ones they can't shoot through.
  3. If the enemy doesn't want to (or can't risk) placing a charge on an improved barricade (either because of Mute or some other factor), they're not going to be able to punch through it like they would a wooden barricade. In addition, the only Operator whose projectiles can penetrate the barrier (and leave it standing) is Glaz, and he's going to need eyes on the enemy to do it.
  4. If the attackers really, really want to punch the door down, that takes a long time (12 hits) and will absolutely let everyone know where they're coming from.

A short summary of tips and facts, just because some people probably missed the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeQyk7G8-c) and some other random tips, with many of them already mentioned here:
- if you have less than 50 HP an ally can kill and revive you, which will always give you 50 HP

If you've got Doc on your team, and they're willing to give you a needle, his shots bring you up to 75 armor.

glaz can destroy castle's barricade too.

it require almost all ammos, but at the end it will go down

Terribly inefficient, loud, and noticeable. I'm referring more to the "one and done" path, because Glaz typically isn't going to waste his ammo burning through a barricade like that; he'll let his team take care of that.

Frankly, the only hard counters to Castle are Sledge and Ash. That's why he's a strong defender. Other attackers have numerous ways to circumvent defender abilities (most of the time this answer is "bullets" or "Thatcher"), but the only real solution for dealing with Castle is "counter-pick", and even then, he's still a very mighty presence.

bigDave

Terribly inefficient, loud, and noticeable. I'm referring more to the "one and done" path, because Glaz typically isn't going to waste his ammo burning through a barricade like that; he'll let his team take care of that.

Frankly, the only hard counters to Castle are Sledge and Ash. That's why he's a strong defender. Other attackers have numerous ways to circumvent defender abilities (most of the time this answer is "bullets" or "Thatcher"), but the only real solution for dealing with Castle is "counter-pick", and even then, he's still a very mighty presence.

yeah, it's just a "one more possibility", even if noboby will do it.

another tip is that Glaz is the only one that can penetrate air force one windows

deoee

What's your thoughts about suppressor?

I quite like them but not on every weapon. They seem to reduce recoil on some (or is this my imagination?)

Jb

What's your thoughts about suppressor?

I quite like them but not on every weapon. They seem to reduce recoil on some (or is this my imagination?)

I use them with attackers like Ash where I use a breaching charge on one side of the room and attack from another side with my silenced rifle. The sound design in this game makes it crystal clear where someone is shooting from when using non-silenced weapons, when using headphones at least.

Sojgat

Do you sort of have to hold the stick in for a moment to toggle lean?

If I try just clicking, it doesn't always work. Is it just my controller or is it a design choice?

Playing on PS4.

jiffy38

I can't believe people are still picking Fuze in a hostage situation. OMIGOD I CANT ANYMORE.

I use fuze on hostage objectives all the time. If you know where the hostage is located in a larger room the cluster grenades can be placed away from them. Usually this is where the defenders are camped anyway. Fuze is not worthless in hostage scenarios.

haveheart

Banned
I use fuze on hostage objectives all the time. If you know where the hostage is located in a larger room the cluster grenades can be placed away from them. Usually this is where the defenders are camped anyway. Fuze is not worthless in hostage scenarios.

Hostage scenario: It was 2-2 tied, matchpoint. We were outnumbered 5 to 1 as defenders and still 2 minutes to go. Basically, unwinnable situation.

Then Fuze happened.

I don't think his nades follow a certain pattern. Might be just pure randomness.

owlbeak

Went on a roll of teams last night. Myself, two friends, and two randoms ended up winning 10 matches in a row, all but one were 3-0. We lost the second round on the 10th match, but otherwise an amazing run.

MAX PAYMENT

So it sounds like the A list defending team needs, at minimum, castle, mute, and kapkan and Anyone else is preference?

Edit: an extremely useful tactic I've found in the game is throwing c4 at people.

I've had it work on guys I knew were above me as well as throwing them into the face of a shield guy and detonating it for a kill.

The shield one needs some experimentation because I'm not sure if they've had low health when I hit them with it.

Mokoi

Banned
+1

Love using fuze. Also I have accidentally killed a hostage throwing a nade when I thought it was smoke. So used to cs becausez I rarely have a frag. lol

iMax

My favourite new tactic is placing a Nitro Cell between the hostage and the nearest door.

Almost every time the attackers breach the door, it blows up the cell in the hostage's face and they score the betrayal.

It's so... beautiful.

soultron

Banned
Hostage scenario: It was 2-2 tied, matchpoint. We were outnumbered 5 to 1 as defenders and still 2 minutes to go. Basically, unwinnable situation.

Then Fuze happened.

I don't think his nades follow a certain pattern. Might be just pure randomness.

I'm having trouble understanding this, sorry. Are you saying that you think you had a chance as a sole defender against a full team of 5 attackers and that you, the last defenderd, lost/got killed by Fuze? Or that Fuze was the one who got the initial 4 kills to make it a 5v1?

If he was simply the one who took you out to win the round, I'd say it was probably coordination on the other team's part. If they spotted/cornered you and used Fuze's cluster grenades, that's basically exactly how he's supposed to be used. Furthermore, a 1v5 is a tough situation to win regardless of Fuze being a pick on the opposing team.

Klyka

Banned
My favourite new tactic is placing a Nitro Cell between the hostage and the nearest door.

Almost every time the attackers breach the door, it blows up the cell in the hostage's face and they score the betrayal.

It's so... beautiful.

That's genius but also damn harsh to counter D:

Menthuss

It's so... beautiful.

I feel that like you should be punished for that and not the attacking team since it is ultimately your C4 that ends up killing the hostage.

I'm having trouble understanding this, sorry. Are you saying that you think you had a chance as a sole defender against a full team of 5 attackers and that you, the last defenderd, lost/got killed by Fuze? Or that Fuze was the one who got the initial 4 kills to make it a 5v1?

If he was simply the one who took you out to win the round, I'd say it was probably coordination on the other team's part. If they spotted/cornered you and used Fuze's cluster grenades, that's basically exactly how he's supposed to be used. Furthermore, a 1v5 is a tough situation to win regardless of Fuze being a pick on the opposing team.

Wha...? No idea how you managed to interpret it the way you did but he meant this:

1 guy left on his team, attacking team still has all 5 members and 2 minutes left on the clock (AKA, defending team is basically screwed).
A Fuze on the attacking team then managed to kill the hostage with his special ability, resulting in the defenders winning the match.

soultron

Banned
You gotta hold it.

Is there an option to make it a toggle? I think you can configure this in the PC version; by default you press Q and E once to start a lean, and press it again to stop leaning.

Wha...? No idea how you managed to interpret it the way you did but he meant this:

1 guy left on his team, attacking team still has all 5 members and 2 minutes left on the clock (AKA, defending team is basically screwed).
A Fuze on the attacking team then managed to kill the hostage with his special ability, resulting in the defenders winning the match.

I must have missed the earlier message, my apologies. Yeah, Fuze shouldn't be using his cluster grenades on the hostage room, or any rooms at all if the attackers haven't located the hostage.

mbmonk

PC version has some weird performance issues. In the benchmark on lowest possible setting I will get a minimum frame rate of 55 - 60 fps, while the max fps will be 400+.

Even when the game looks like dog shit, it runs like dog shit. minimum FPS is very important and it's sad to see my machine can't get a minimum of 100+ FPS with this game.

My machine exceeds the recommended specs.

Well played Ubi.. you got my money again and left me with blue balls.

PC version has some weird performance issues. In the benchmark on lowest possible setting I will get a minimum frame rate of 55 - 60 fps, while the max fps will be 400+.

Even when the game looks like dog shit, it runs like dog shit. minimum FPS is very important and it's sad to see my machine can't get a minimum of 100+ FPS with this game.

Thats why i wait now on Ubisoft games. I never buy them at launch anymore. Theyre always broken in some way.

realcZk

R6S is probably the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in a long while... I hope it gets the support it deserves because the core game is great.

When you're dealing with a high-stakes, intense tactical shooter there can be a very low tolerance for glitches. Unfortunately in my experience there are a few glitches that can sometimes spoil a match, the most common for me are getting stuck in objects (vaulting through windows at the same time as a teammate), or throwing a droid can often fall through the floor (sometimes this is a helpful feature). Blood splatter can also be deceiving, I feel like sometimes when shooting shield guys you trigger the splatter but aren't actually doing any damage. A few times I've seen certain objects / enemy players clip through walls that opened up a opportunity for a cheap kill. I really appreciate how flexible the maps are though, many ways to breach a room and the ability to shoot through floors/walls just add to the intensity of the match.

Regardless, if you have friends who are down to strap up and learn the tactics, the entertainment this game provides far exceeds other MP titles this year. Matches are tense and every move you make matters.

datamage

You may want to post your system specs and info. It doesn't help your situation, but I haven't had a single hiccup on my end in regards to performance. (2600k/16GB RAM/980 Ti)

Archpath1

Pulse is pretty cool
Good for counter offense and surprise attacks

Especially on small quick maps when you know they'll come in through windows or a trap door

Is that you fuze setting up? Nope face full of shotgun

Hmm someone prepping the trapdoor?
have a c4 surprise

Lol love it

I love how effective you can be for your team in this game by just relaying intel and calling out enemies. I think IQ needs a buff for her gadget to be really useful (maybe make it so you can spot traps on the hud for your teammates, or differentiate between team/enemy electronics), but Twitch is great for both being effective at fighting and getting good intel on the enemy. It's also awesome to know some enemies are taking cover behind something while your teammate has their gun aimed at them and go harass them with the shock drone so they get up in a panic and take a bullet to the head immediately.

Great teamwork synergy stuff like that happens all the time in this game, and the game design is built around it.

Anyone have a guide to the camera locations? My crew desperately needs to learn them.

realcZk

I love how effective you can be for your team in this game by just relaying intel and calling out enemies. I think IQ needs a buff for her gadget to be really useful (maybe make it so you can spot traps on the hud for your teammates, or differentiate between team/enemy electronics), but Twitch is great for both being effective at fighting and getting good intel on the enemy. It's also awesome to know some enemies are taking cover behind something while your teammate has their gun aimed at them and go harass them with the shock drone so they get up in a panic and take a bullet to the head immediately.

Great teamwork synergy stuff like that happens all the time in this game, and the game design is built around it.

Anyone have a guide to the camera locations? My crew desperately needs to learn them.

Twitch is such a great distraction, roaming into a room with a few enemies and snapping them with the taser over and over usually causes them to focus you and stop guarding breach points. His FAMAS is insane too.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Twitch is such a great distraction, roaming into a room with a few enemies and snapping them with the taser over and over usually causes them to focus you and stop guarding breach points. His FAMAS is insane too.

I think you mean HER Famas

Sojgat

Is this right? Pretty sure I just click it once - this is when I'm ADS though, is it possible to lean when not ADS by holding?

No, you have to ADS. I think you just have to press and hold the stick briefly. Quick clicks don't always register. If I understand correctly, it's intentional.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Its crazy to defend in my opinion. Did you know you can shoot through the airplane windows from the perches outside? Makes for a few easy kills / forcing defenders to prone early game. Switch your AR to single/burst and start inducing panic!

o.o I didn't mean it, I swear! I'm blind...

I think only the sniper dude can shoot through those windows.

MAX PAYMENT

Its crazy to defend in my opinion. Did you know you can shoot through the airplane windows from the perches outside? Makes for a few easy kills / forcing defenders to prone early game. Switch your AR to single/burst and start inducing panic!

o.o I didn't mean it, I swear! I'm blind...

I dunno. The airplane map just comes across as too cramped, leaving little from for tactics. I guess I just haven't experienced a good round on it yet.

Top Bottom