• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax (old)

Banned
Rez said:
which was silly, because it prevented even well thought out, articulate discussion entirely. it's not hard to pick out the people botching and moaning from the ones who really wanted to have a good discussion, the blanket-ban was entirely stupid. you're going to read all posts anyway, right? it's not like it would save [random mod] any time.

gotta agree with this. I don't see why ports can't be discussed - I mean certain topics are made for it - say... anything gabe newell - I think I sensed some frustration from PCage regarding these comments - but its easy to scroll past a comment like that.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
iamaustrian said:
what was it?

never been banned but I got a funny tag for hurting someone's "Masters of the Universe"-feelings

I still have it set as my icon. It's just a series of pictures of Summer Glau.

I've yet to get a response from any admin/mod about it, probably because the majority of people who get it removed are legitimate cases who still complain, and of course they figure they can't make a mistake ever so they probably trash my PMs right away.

I thought at first it got removed since it displayed a random icon every time the page was reloaded, but I've seen mods with the same thing and I figure they'd give me the "didn't read the rules" icon instead of "had a nsfw" icon. Another thought was some of the images have her in a bra, so I guess underwear or bikinis are NSFW? No idea. If it is it isn't clarified anywhere.

The icon randomized:
icon.php

All images in the pool:
ngaficon001.jpg
ngaficon002.jpg
ngaficon003.jpg
ngaficon004.jpg
ngaficon005.jpg

ngaficon006.jpg
ngaficon007.jpg
ngaficon008.jpg
ngaficon009.jpg
ngaficon010.jpg

This is literally what I had as my icon, unchanged from the time it got removed in all it's apparent NSFW glory. If anyone can point me to the offending image with a NSFW Summer Glau I'd be grateful, but to this day I haven't seen one. In this icons or anywhere for that matter.

At this point I don't think I'd get a second look from any mod, it's too much to ask for accountability around here I guess.

LAUGHTREY said:
The icon randomized:
http://wilshirephotography.com/_hcc_thumbs/randim/images/icon.php[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

oh wow, I 've seen way "worse" avatars here.
makes me really wonder way it got nsfw'ed

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tabris said:
Apparently you can't comment on shitty DS graphics...or just anything anti-DS. I've been banned more than probabaly anyone in this thread for my anti-DS comments/opinions.
I get the feeling there was a bit more to it than just that.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Aegus said:
Basically the thread itself was never modded or mods never went in. So basically there was a 9 month old thread with ban worthy stuff. People were getting banned for things left, right and centre that they'd said months ago.

Then I believe someone uncovered a pic of one of the mods.....

And now the biggest thread in OT is dead and everyone has moved to a different place
:lol That was such a pathetic incident, a bunch of babies crying about not being able to break the TOS anymore. Gotta respect Red Scarlet for that one, despite getting shit left and right from the posters and with little backup from other mods within the thread, she stuck to her guns and did her job.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Can we confirm that mods have a database with comments and notes about each user?
I wonder what does my profile says:
Fersis:
-Has godlike beard
-Loves fighting games
-Hugs a lot
-It may or may not be part of PS3 and/or Wii defense force. :lol
-90% of his posts are lame and silly jokes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LAUGHTREY said:

I've yet to get a response from any admin/mod about it, probably because the majority of people who get it removed are legitimate cases who still complain, and of course they figure they can't make a mistake ever so they probably trash my PMs right away.

I thought at first it got removed since it displayed a random icon every time the page was reloaded, but I've seen mods with the same thing and I figure they'd give me the "didn't read the rules" icon instead of "had a nsfw" icon. Another thought was some of the images have her in a bra, so I guess underwear or bikinis are NSFW? No idea. If it is it isn't clarified anywhere.
I don't see the issue. That's perfectly fine work attire.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Holy poop, thanks.

I wonder if I should change it, just in case someone mistakes it for NSFW again?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Avatars are held to stricter standards than the general forum guidelines, since they come with you wherever you're posting (as opposed to avoiding threads with content likely to be NSFW while you're at work).

Fersis said:
Can we confirm that mods have a database with comments and notes about each user?
Fersis:
-Has godlike beard
-Loves fighting games
-Hugs a lot

bjork said:
bjork:
-rules

iamcool388:
-who?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
EviLore said:
Avatars are held to stricter standards than the general forum guidelines, since they come with you wherever you're posting (as opposed to avoiding threads with content likely to be NSFW while you're at work).

That's understandable, and why I thought It was because of the bikini pictures. I didn't know for sure because I've seen a lot of other people with bikini babes for icons as well.

Haha, does this mean I get a title change too?

Fersis said:
Fersis:
-Has godlike beard
-Loves fighting games
-Hugs a lot
They must at least have a list of all your prior bannings with notes on those. I'm curious as to what it looks like being a mod, how many other options are presented when you're just browsing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fersis said:
Fersis:
-Has godlike beard
-Loves fighting games
-Hugs a lot
What do you think tags are for?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Someone should make a ban parole thread

finding how everyone got banned would be infor some awsome storys

EviLore, got my avatar problem sorted cheers

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hitokage said:
I hope this isn't what tags are for...

*looks at own*

I've always wanted to start a thread to speculate which well known perm'd members are posting under a new account, and which account it is they're currently using. I don't think that would fly though.

fanboi

Banned
riskVSreward said:
I've always wanted to start a thread to speculate which well known perm'd members are posting under a new account, and which account it is they're currently using. I don't think that would fly though.

Do it!

Then we will speculate in another thread which account riskVSreward is using now
:)

Mkliner

riskVSreward said:

Everyone is Doombringer

fanboi said:
Do it!

Then we will speculate in another thread which account riskVSreward is using now
:)
:(

Bans bring out the worst in people. The last time I was banned a poster whom I considered a pal (in terms of NeoGaf pals) was the first one to laugh at my expense. Maybe he thought giving out e-blowjobs would put him in some unbannable zone for the rest of his tenure here. One day he will be banned for however long, and I will be the first to suck that mod's e-peen. Rest assured, I will have my comeuppance!

zon

riskVSreward said:

Bans bring out the worst in people. The last time I was banned a poster whom I considered a pal (in terms of NeoGaf pals) was the first one to laugh at my expense. Maybe he thought giving out e-blowjobs would put him in some unbannable zone for the rest of his tenure here. One day he will be banned for however long, and I will be the first to suck that mod's e-peen. Rest assured, I will have my comeuppance!

It goes down the throat, not up.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Don't make posts implying you're watching a pirated version of the latest Twilight movie

I learned it the hard way. And the movie was so awful it wasn't even worth getting banned for it :lol

Red Scarlet

LAUGHTREY said:

The icon randomized:
icon.php

All images in the pool:
ngaficon001.jpg
ngaficon002.jpg
ngaficon003.jpg
ngaficon004.jpg
ngaficon005.jpg

ngaficon006.jpg
ngaficon007.jpg
ngaficon008.jpg
ngaficon009.jpg
ngaficon010.jpg

This is literally what I had as my icon, unchanged from the time it got removed in all it's apparent NSFW glory. If anyone can point me to the offending image with a NSFW Summer Glau I'd be grateful, but to this day I haven't seen one. In this icons or anywhere for that matter.

At this point I don't think I'd get a second look from any mod, it's too much to ask for accountability around here I guess.

Hey, looks like you got avatars back, but please stop saying we all did nothing and ignored you.

laughtreypm.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
riskVSreward said:

It's just a little schadenfreude.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hitokage said:
So mine means that im an idiot who posted in a thread without knowing that it was a 'tag fishing thread' ?
I prefer the database :(

santouras

EviLore said:
it would be awesome if the dimension size for avatars was enforced stricter. Sometimes it's not immediately noticable until someone gets their avatars quoted but some people are rocking much larger avatars than the faq states...

DoomGyver

Fersis said:
So mine means that im an idiot who posted in a thread without knowing that it was a 'tag fishing thread' ?
I prefer the database :(
Thank Dragona. :(

Dragona Akehi
Gives out the worst tags
(11-07-2009, 04:10 PM)

Make it so!

Fersis

Full Recovery said:
Thank Dragona. :(

Dragona Akehi
Gives out the worst tags
(11-07-2009, 04:10 PM)

Make it so!
You're playin' with fire dood

Grecco

If it hasnt been mentioned already (Didnt see it in the OP). SDF/NDF/XBbots ect type memes occasionalygets you banned occasionally it doesnt.

numble said:
Why do you say that? They had the iPhone app maker make sure people on desktops can't use it so they could still get ad revenue.

Being banned because you don't want to see ads is one of the silliest things I can imagine. It's also extremely petty. I'm not here to make this forum money. If they want that then they should start charging us. It's not my problem or responsibility to keep this forum afloat financially.

mcrae

Staccat0 said:
beat me to it.
Now if we could just get people on board with saying "retard"

i really hope you mean get people on board with no longer using the word retard in a derogatory/joking/humorous manner

santouras said:
it would be awesome if the dimension size for avatars was enforced stricter. Sometimes it's not immediately noticable until someone gets their avatars quoted but some people are rocking much larger avatars than the faq states...

i think this is happening alot more lately.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
fistfulofmetal said:
Being banned because you don't want to see ads is one of the silliest things I can imagine. It's also extremely petty. I'm not here to make this forum money. If they want that then they should start charging us. It's not my problem or responsibility to keep this forum afloat financially.

You're absolutely right. Paypal me $50 to have your account re-enabled.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
still to this day don't know why i can't create new threads lol.

Given i hardly post anywhere at all, it's not really a biggie, but curious given some of the god damned awful threads out there!

Fredescu

fistfulofmetal said:
I'm not here to make this forum money.
Why would they pay for a system to allow you to post about ways to subvert the only means of recouping some of their maintenance costs?

Edit: beaten, and how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom