• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

bombshell

Hello everybody! NPD_George aka. the nefarious NDP_Mulcair back once again!

1.) Call of Duty: Black Ops III - (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC | Actvision Blizzard)
4.89 million unit sales including bundles

Thank you very much for these numbers, nefarious George!

Are you able to tell the software split PS4 vs. Xbox One for this one, including bundles, just so a major conversation point of this thread can be concluded?

Nameless

Oh' Nefarious One -- any chance of a quick & dirty Uncharted Collection v. Tomb Raider breakdown?

Of all the silly moves in this Tomb Raider debacle making its bundle exclusive to a single retailer is one of the biggest head scratchers.

It probably isn't even at 1.5 million retail.
according to zhuge.. you'd be right apparently
JBH44PO.png

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/675367376465055744

leeh

Pride in the work we accomplished, sure. A metacritic score doesn't equate to the pride devs derive from a game they've worked on. The games i've worked on certainly didn't - professional pride can come from any number of places; a metacritic score isn't, nor shouldn't, be the only source of that.

What started this was you made some flippant remark as to how many of these devs would be inundated with recruiters moments after being laid off, presumably because of their body of work. And while that may be the case for some, no one that I know in industry has ever enjoyed the stress of having to go out & get another job, especially in games. Not to mention the environment you're being hired into, and the cavalcade of issues that devs face in the work place.

Most of the games industry in NA is spread out throughout the region. Lose a job at your studio, and your next job might be 3,000 miles across the country. You wanna go home and tell your family that you have to make that move? All because your game didn't sell well?

Yes, we take pride in the games we create. Not just good games mind you; some of the best development stories that have ever been shared with me, that proved just how amazing these devs are, were often on projects that the public views as being 'bad'.
Sorry, this is going to be a quick reply as I'm leaving in a hurry. I appreciate the degree to which you've replied with, and I apologise if any of my comments have offended you (I am often too brash posting).

Regarding the first bolded, for games, definitely, I wholeheartedly agree. I didn't go down that route personally because of the market for jobs here in the UK, but I'm presuming those people aren't open to normal/senior/lead software engineer roles? Personally, If I was in that boat, I'd accept the best of a bad bunch and wait until something special to come along. I wouldn't narrow my self down to one area of development, even if that's where my passion lay.

Second point. That is an eye opener to me, I've had a PM which expressed similar reasoning. I've never been to US, so I've simply been blind to the culture and the sheer distance of locations of work. For example, in the UK, you can be 1 hour drive away from 3 major cities which all have potential offerings and are feasible for a daily commute. Whereas, I can imagine in the US, that's not possible wherever you are.

This year was rather good for that and expect it to only grow.

Digital percentage will of course grow, the question is by how much.

The way I view it is, the first 10-20% or so are easy. These are the people who genuinely want to switch and do so immediately.

The rest are far harder. Maybe they just like physical. Maybe they are disgusted at digital pricing. Maybe they don't have high speed internet, or have caps. Maybe they aren't even tech savvy enough to think about it, they just keep doing what they always have.

Regardless of the reasoning, unless the issue gets forced, it probably won't keep up the speed of adoption the early adopters might wish. CDs still exist in spite of all the pundits saying they'd be dead nearly 20 years ago, and songs are only a few meg to download so far easier to manage.

Keep digging that hole. Estimates were always at around 20-30%

It's higher than the average, but what you were suggesting was straight up incoherent nonsense.

I know I only ever read that it would be 20 percent. I didn't see anyone say otherwise. I must have missed those 30 percent comments

allan-bh

Based on all his posts thus far, I'm pretty sure he does have NPD data, or at least some of it. He hasn't been wrong about anything pertaining to this month yet.

When he was in GAF he didn't had. Isn't clear for me so I prefer to have a confirmation from George or Queso.

I fully believe digital week one sales for these titles is growing substantially. I'm not using this as evidence to disregard any numbers anywhere but I fully believe that this grouo of AAA games this holiday had the highest digital attatch rate at launch in the history of the industry

Jamix012

Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection will finish the year at 2 million+ LTD probably. Uncharted 4 will be fucking huge man..

Where did you get this out of curiosity?

That'd be a big improvement over charting below Yoshi in month 1.

Edit: With the bundles it makes total sense actually, but I hardly think you can attribute bundle sales to the popularity of Uncharted.

allan-bh

He posted a reaction mere minutes after the NPD report release, well before PR. What more confirmation are you looking for?

Yeah, after Queso already said something here.

I like ZhugeEX, the guy loves to talk about sales, but for me isn't clear that he has access to NPD.

nib95

Banned
Kuchera just tweeted this. Surely this is referencing ROTTR, right?

KqqzKVR.png

Thing with RotTR is that the other versions were/are already being worked on. All it did really is delay the development or cost of making the other versions, at the cost of more sales. Presumably because Microsoft paid for that privilege.

according to zhuge.. you'd be right apparently
JBH44PO.png

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/675367376465055744

Star is dimming but that is still impressive for a single territory of sales. Not sure many or any PS4 exclusives have sold that much in NA alone. However, things fall apart for MS exclusives outside of UK/NA, and is where Sony's games make up a ton of ground.

Wonder what effect MS becoming so NA dependent and trailing in NA by what is now over a million units in NA has had on MS games strategy. Sony can get weird and experimental because they have global appeal, MS lacks that global appeal.

Oh this Greenberg baffoon infuriates me. First he mentioned about all that pre-season bullshit implying it's the Christmas months that count. Now that they lost November, Xbox is for every month!? His messaging is so transparent.

Seriously this guy needs to get fired, completely full of salty crap. Half of my university class can do a better job at what this idiot is doing and they're half his age, his days are numbered.

LOL -

"I don't know how much you know about marketing. I'm an expert
.."

Man you take this too serious. Dont be a clown. You want him to lead marketing with:

"We at XBOX accept our L and bow to our PlayStation overlords. Please consider us as your second console. Try our middling games while waiting for Uncharted 4 please".

Mory Dunz

Isn't that entirely based on Aaron Greenberg saying combined for all 3 is over 3 million, and then just subtracting ps4 and xbone?

He rounded down that 3 million number, we don't know the actual total right?
No based on insiders.

Flat YOY.

George even did a graph lol

Star is dimming but that is still impressive for a single territory of sales. Not sure many or any PS4 exclusives have sold that much in NA alone. However, things fall apart for MS exclusives outside of UK/NA, and is where Sony's games make up a ton of ground.

Wonder what effect MS becoming so NA dependent and trailing in NA by what is now over a million units in NA has had on MS games strategy. Sony can get weird and experimental because they have global appeal, MS lacks that global appeal.

Yep some of Sony IPs get save by WW sales .
MS just don't have that option at all this gen .

Shenmue

Banned
Kuchera just tweeted this. Surely this is referencing ROTTR, right? If so, shouldn't he have asked that question before posting his opinion piece?

KqqzKVR.png

Wow super pathetic.

It's funny that it always seems like the people who aren't the brightest also always seem to be the most stubborn.

Kuchera just tweeted this. Surely this is referencing ROTTR, right? If so, shouldn't he have asked that question before posting his opinion piece?

KqqzKVR.png

But.. they are going to have to pay for it eventually and the sales potential is presumably lower than a uniform multiplatform launch?

I don't get why he's holding onto this flame. Is it a case of being so wrapped into a preset narrative that you try to find any logic that might fit it?

Nintendo is one of my favorite publishers, and I have to say, how they handled themselves this holiday season is crushingly disappointing.

The only Nintendo game I have fallen in love with this holiday season is Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I have sunk hundreds of hours into since its release.

And this is reflected by a string of disappointing sales performances in various titles in Nintendo of America's holiday lineup.

In the November 2015 U.S. Games Sales Industry report, Nintendo the publisher suffered from a 61% yearly decline in retail software sales, now representing less than 6% of the total software market.

One of my most favorite Nintendo IPs was Mario Tennis. I absolutely adored the GameCube, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance iterations.

But I didn't even bother to purchase Mario Tennis Ultra Smash because of how soulless it felt. And this seems to be reflected in consumer sentiment.

Way back in November 2004, the Nintendo GameCube's "Mario Power Tennis" sold 98.1K copies in its launch.

Now in November 2015, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash couldn't even sell half of that 100K figure.

And even Animal Crossing has regressed significantly. In November 2008 Animal Crossing: City Folk sold 196.4K on its launch according to NPD Group data.

But 'Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival' is far below that benchmark. A solid amount below even half of that 200K figure.

And back in the day, people thought City Folk was a flop.

Luckily, it seems that these two titles were made cheaply and seem to act as spinoffs to pad out the Wii U library before NX releases, so poor performances under the 6-figure mark in the holiday season won't have too much financial impact on the company.

And there is always digital. But still.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Zhuge answered with "not good". :( bummer :(

I knew Yokai Watch would bomb. I was shocked that they tried bringing it to the West at all. It's a bunch of unattractive characters based on Japanese cultural ideas that would ring completely hollow for any other culture. There's no way it would have had traction outside of Japan.

Top Bottom