• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Why is Japanese so hard for the Internet sometimes? Here's a quick translation that tries to stay as faithful to the original text as possible:

ゲームソフト「メタルギア」シリーズで知られる著名ゲームクリエーターの小島秀夫氏が、15日付でコナミデジタルエンタテインメントを退社した。新会社を設立してゲーム制作を続け、ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメント(SCE)のゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)」向けなどで販売するとみられる。

Kojima Hideo, a famous video game creator known for the Metal Gear series has left Konami Digital Entertainment as of December 15th. He will form a new company where he will continue developing video games, with plans to release on platforms such as Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE)'s PlayStation.

コナミ時代の部下と新会社を設立する。代表作「メタルギア」シリーズの版権はコナミ側に残るため、新作の開発に着手する。最新作についてはSCEと最終交渉しており、PS向けに優先販売するとみられる。

He is forming the new company with people who worked under him at Konami. The rights to the Metal Gear series, for which he is most known, remain at Konami, so he will begin working on an all new title. Final negotiations with SCE are underway for this new game to debut on PlayStation.

小島氏は「マリオ」で知られる任天堂の宮本茂氏と並ぶ世界的なゲーム開発者。緻密なストーリー作りや映画の手法も取り入れた映像表現で評価が高い。今年9月に発売したゲームソフト「メタルギアソリッド5」は世界で500万本を超える大ヒットを記録した。

Kojima is a world famous video game developer on the same level as Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario. He is highly praised for his elaborate stories and use of movie techniques to create impressive visual imagery. Metal Gear Solid V was released this September and became a massive hit, selling over 5 million copies around the world.

thanks for the translation.

Sjefen

Good we need Kojima to be making games, one of the best. Hmmm he needs alot of money and time, I wonder who will be the publisher.

Chobel

The good news, his new game will come to PC.

The bad news, his new game is probably not a big game :/. Sony is not funding his new game (not permanent exclusive), and it doesn't seem like any big publisher is funding it (Why make it PS4 exclusive if so?).

yuraya

But what about my MGSVI

Kojima will always be Metal Gear and Metal Gear will always be Kojima

Fuck new IP's. God damn you Konami. God damn you straight to hell.

This is how Metal Gear dies. With thunderous applause.

Q_Q

deim0s

Why is Japanese so hard for the Internet sometimes? Here's a quick translation that tries to stay as faithful to the original text as possible:

ゲームソフト「メタルギア」シリーズで知られる著名ゲームクリエーターの小島秀夫氏が、15日付でコナミデジタルエンタテインメントを退社した。新会社を設立してゲーム制作を続け、ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメント(SCE)のゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)」向けなどで販売するとみられる。

Kojima Hideo, a famous video game creator known for the Metal Gear series has left Konami Digital Entertainment as of December 15th. He will form a new company where he will continue developing video games, with plans to release on platforms such as Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE)'s PlayStation.

コナミ時代の部下と新会社を設立する。代表作「メタルギア」シリーズの版権はコナミ側に残るため、新作の開発に着手する。最新作についてはSCEと最終交渉しており、PS向けに優先販売するとみられる。

He is forming the new company with people who worked under him at Konami. The rights to the Metal Gear series, for which he is most known, remain at Konami, so he will begin working on an all new title. Final negotiations with SCE are underway for this new game to debut on PlayStation.

小島氏は「マリオ」で知られる任天堂の宮本茂氏と並ぶ世界的なゲーム開発者。緻密なストーリー作りや映画の手法も取り入れた映像表現で評価が高い。今年9月に発売したゲームソフト「メタルギアソリッド5」は世界で500万本を超える大ヒットを記録した。

Kojima is a world famous video game developer on the same level as Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario. He is highly praised for his elaborate stories and use of movie techniques to create impressive visual imagery. Metal Gear Solid V was released this September and became a massive hit, selling over 5 million copies around the world.

Now everyone is happy again in GAF.

SarusGray

The bad news, his new game is probably not a big game :/. Sony is not funding his new game (not permanent exclusive), and it doesn't seem like any big publisher is funding it (Why make it PS4 exclusive if so?).

It's probably just a console exclusive or console debut.

Arkanius

That really doesn't go against what he said though. He worked, and put all his effort into one game, in one system. And it was later ported to Xbox, and PC. He didn't have to worry about making it work on three different systems.

Remind me of games produced by SCE studios that later released on PC.
Because I can't think of any and I haven't Google any.

Making something first PS and then later on Xbox/PC is only possible if you are independent.

Timed exclusive =/= Platform lockdown.

fantomena

Multiplatform

xzI9mAy.gif

Watch it be consoles only. :p

Teletraan1

Banned
I just cancelled my preorder for Legend of Legaia: A Hideo Kojima Game because of this bogus translation. Welcome home indeed.

Elfstruck

MS am cry I really thought that MS would make it rain money and just buy into that koji reputation.

Did not think that SCE had the money to form a new studio and fund a koji level game aka 80 million + setting up the studio itself lets say 10 million.

Where is this Sony have no money misconception come from? You guys realize that its not true right?

Ishida

Banned
But what about my MGSVI

Q_Q

As a huge Metal Gear fan, the franchise's death was overdue.

Kojima being independent and getting funds from pubs is the best thing for him, imo. Dunno why some would call this “worst scenario“.

Think FROM, think Level5, why should that be bad? FROM and Miyazaki made one of the best PS4 exclusives, despite not being with Sony. Or is Bloodborne suddenly bad because of the company it's devs work for?

Maybe not having nearly unlimited funds brings him a little back to earth, and a bit more focused with his next game.

why is it bad if it's not a massive AAA scale title? I like toned down titles too. If they don't have to go for mass appeal he can get creative.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm more amazed that he is even in discussions with outside parties for publishing. Wouldn't anything he created while employed by Konami be considered their property? Is he negotiating off of a powerpoint?

This is almost assuredly like Respawn where they're just straight up signing talent based on history.

HeelPower

The thought of Kojima finally leaving MGS behind is soooo exciting you guys!

Finally,something brand new and original by Kojima after so many years.

I think the take away from this story is Kojima is officially a free agent and looking for work.

I wouldnt jump to too many concussions on what his next game will be on just yet.

Rymuth

But what about my MGSVI

Q_Q
Eeww no.

My favorite MGS are the ones he had little to no involvement with (Portable Ops, Ghost Babel) and the self-loathing for the series was beginning to seep into his writing.

Give him a new IP, maybe he'll re-ignite his passion.

Raist

Banned
Well like I said in my post, Sony's not really about those fully exclusive 3rd party games anymore, and I'm sure Kojima isn't either. I mean, he has been working on multiplatform games for years. The only one with balls enough to pull something like "buying out" Kojima is Microsoft (and going by this article it seems they didn't heh). This Kojima-Sony relationship is not going any further than some Sony execs being friends with Hideo and eating something after work sometimes.

Can't wait to see the words "console debut" on my screen next E3.

I don't think Kojima's games going multiplat in some cases was necessarily his choice.

But what about my MGSVI

Q_Q

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I feel like that line is among the best writing in all 6 films

Arkanius

I really thought most people would be happy that Kojima had the possibility to work on all platforms.
I really underestimate console fanboyism sometimes.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, I think it will be more clear what's happening to his future later on. Lots of speculation over a small press release.

Lingitiz

Kojima being independent and getting funds from pubs is the best thing for him, imo. Dunno why some would call this “worst scenario“.

Think FROM, think Level5, why should that be bad? FROM and Miyazaki made one of the best PS4 exclusives, despite not being with Sony. Or is Bloodborne suddenly bad because of the company it's devs work for?

Maybe not having nearly unlimited funds brings him a little back to earth, and a bit more focused with his next game.
Yeah Kojima being forced to work on a limited budget could be super interesting. At the very least, we could ideally see more smaller games from him over the next few years, rather than big giant megaproductions that release once every half decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom