• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Fallout 4 ; This game sucked me into its world of The Commonwealth for over 3 weeks. It's addicting.
2. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Yes, the tank stuff was bad, but this was my favourite in the series.
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 ; The best mp COD since BLOPS1.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Better than the revival TR, which was one of my GOTG on last gen.
5. Rock Band 4 ; Exactly what I wanted in a new Rock Band.
6. Mortal Kombat X ; Simple, yet complex. Not a big fighting game fan, but this was impressive.
7. Halo 5: Guardians ; 343 really nailed the mp in this one. Would be higher on my list if it had more maps/modes.
8. Dying Light ; Great coop experience, with a lot of content.
9. Star Wars Battlefront ; The best graphics and sound hands down for a console game.
10. Mad Max ; Surprised with how great this game was.

BeeDog

1. Bloodborne ; While dumbing down some aspects found in earlier Souls titles which didn't need dumbing down, this one managed to deliver a fantastic and highly reactive combat system, a cohesive and beautiful setting and some truly gnarly enemies to battle.
2. Rocket League ; I never would've thought this simple game would provide tons of entertainment. It has even improved my relations with friends!
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; A fantastic and incredibly sizable RPG with excellent characters and writing. It also delivers some of the best side-quests ever found in RPGs. In addition, the fantastic Hearts of Stone DLC only managed to make the already-complete package even more impressive.
4. Fallout 4 ; While the game has tons of issues, mainly regarding its poor writing and end-game, I was still hooked all the way through and regularly go back to this game. Bethesda at least consistently nail game worlds.
5. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I didn't mind the car battles nearly as much as other people. As always, a very solid and amazingly beautiful effort by Rocksteady though I missed some more elaborate indoor areas like in the previous games.
6. Until Dawn ; One of the biggest gaming surprises in years. I barely expected anything from it, but it delivered a fun, great-looking and pulpy story with some of the most nerve-wracking end-game set-pieces in recent memory.
7. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; Extremely slow at the beginning, this game sets its hooks in you when you start understanding its quirks. Really good throw-back to the old cRPG days.
8. Dying Light ; The addition of parkour transformed the sub-par Dead Island into a very enjoyable game to play.
9. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; I figured this would be a simple cash-in stand-alone DLC, but it provided a pretty substantial campaign with lots more of the great gunplay that made the original fantastic.
10. SOMA ; From a gameplay perspective, it's more basic than the developers' previous entries such as Amnesia. But what it might lack in gameplay, it more than makes up for it with a fantastic setting and a story that shines within the gaming sphere.

Honorable Mentions
x. Tearaway Unfolded ; Quirky and beautiful little platformer.
x. Project CARS ; An unpolished but highly addictive simulator, with some truly excellent soundwork.
x. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Kojima et al finally nailed the basic gameplay to a T, but unfortunately many parts of the game don't hold up or are simply shitty, including the story.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
1. The Witcher III - Wild Hunt ; This game is amazing. This is probably one of the most immersive games of all time. The characters are lifelike and the story is solid. The gameplay is great as well, and CDPR deserve all of the praise showered on them.

2. Grand Theft Auto V (PC) ; I never had the opportunity to play this game on my PS3 but this was a game I picked up on day one on PC. The game is fantastic. Optimized beautifully, and the characters are a lot of fun. It's so much fun both online and in single-player and I've probably put the most time into this game after The Witcher.

3. Pillars of Eternity ; Fantastic writing, great gameplay. That's one thing Obsidian do so well. Kept me coming back for more and I had a lot of fun playing through a CRPG. Usually, I can't stand turn-based systems outside of JRPG - the strategical movement element is lost on me (hence why I'm terrible at XCOM). However, the RTWP system allowed me to play the game like an ARPG/RTS (with pause of course, I couldn't really do it without that), and someday I hope there is a true fleshed out story in an ARPG - like merge Diablo and The Witcher and I'd have one of my favorite games of all time.

4. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I can't speak to the PC issues of this game, I didn't really have them, barring a stutter from time to time. Being an avid fan of the Arkham series thus far, I really did enjoy this one, however it fails to live up to how awesome Arkham City was to me. It is a gorgeous game, has a compelling story and all the innovations were appreciated with the slight criticism of the overuse of the Batmobile. It wore out its welcome fast.

5. Cities: Skylines ; My first city was horrid, and died of poor sewage (I messed up the river direction and pumped poop into the fresh water reservoir...) but I soon learnt from my mistakes. This is the city builder we've been waiting for. Seriously, if you like city builders, get this game. It is fantastic and it's only going to get bigger and better with Workshop support/DLC. I love this game and I had a lot of fun with it.

6. Project CARS ; This is a pseudo-sim, kinda like Forza and Gran Turismo and unlike Assetto Corsa. But I like this one. Probably the best looking pseudo-sim racer on PC and the most fun. It's got enough tracks although it is lacking in the car department. The career mode is a little unfinished but is very very competent and so are the other features you'd expect - wheel support, custom car settings, ghosts, damage, weather etc. It's good, my go-to racer since Gran Turismo 5.

Ghostage

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Fantastic world and characters with superb writing, took me three months to finish it and it was entertaining all the way through. Potentially the best game of this generation.
2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; My first Monster Hunter experience and probably my most played game.
3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Platforming perfection and best visuals of the year, doesn't get any better.
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I am yet to finish it but I'm enjoying it just as much as the first one (which is one of my all time favourites)
5. Halo 5: Guardians ; Hands down the best multiplayer game in years and a great campaign, also the most underrated game of the year.
6. Rainbow Six: Siege ; A great evolution from the previous Rainbow Six games, a must play!
7. Until Dawn ; Last time i turned off my console in panic was when i played Project Zero years ago...until i played Until Dawn.
8. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Pure crack, blows the first game out of the water. Great story, gameplay and graphics.
9. Fallout 4 ; Fallout is Fallout.
10. Rocket League ; One of the biggest surprises of the year and one i will keep going back to for years.

1. The Age of Decadence ; For me this is the greatest RPG of the year and for a long time as well. It's aesthetic is a nice change as well, it's not about magic and high fantasy and I like how it uses historical accuracy and fiction to create a compelling world and story. The game is the best written RPG in the last few years but what's phenomenal about it is its dialogue system. You can play the game entirely through dialogue assuming you have built a character with the stats appropriate to do so. The amount of choice, consequence and branching of dialogue is something I've never seen to this depth in a RPG before. The game can be best described as a RPG of intrigue, deception, political assassinations, etc. Think of it as like Game of Thrones, it's not really about the direct action, it's about the intrigue and you can change the game in a lot of ways, influence fights to occur for your favour, etc. Think of it as if you were playing Varys from Game of Thrones. Granted, there are many ways to play this game, if you don't want to focus heavily on dialogue you don't have to, combat is there and very challenging.
2. Pillars of Eternity ; This is a return to CRPGs but modernised in terms of graphics and the like, good writing, lovely environment design/dungeons.
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Not the greatest RPG I have played this year but the world is stunningly beautiful and great to explore. What I love about it is that it escapes the trope in many RPGs where you are some hero to save the world and fighting some major common impending doom. For the most part, it's about you, Geralt, on an adventure which is what I love about it.
4. Kerbal Space Program ; Finally I can put this on a GOTY list, I've been playing this game ever since around version 0.9 which is around 2011. Been a long time coming, it's a phenomenal one of a kind game, if you have a passion for building your own crafts and carrying out your own missions you have drafted, created your own craft etc to make it possible it's an absolutely amazing game. It really brings out the engineer in you.
5. Fallout 4 ; Really enjoyed this, it has its flaws but I enjoyed every minute playing it. It's a game that Bethesda took some steps forwards in but also some back at the same time.
6. World of Warships ; This is a game I've always wanted to player and is the only multiplayer game on my list. I don't play much multiplayer games but I absolutely love ships and WW1 and WW2 era war ships, this game has fantastic mechanics, maps are well designed, ships are very detailed in their modelling/textures and there's plenty of ships to choose from. Nonetheless, as it is a Wargaming game, expect the tiers from 8-10 to be difficult to sustain repairs to your ship after battle if you do not have a premium account. Any ways, it'll take you a while to get to that tier in one of the countries any ways. Even so, very good F2P game and well worth the premium if you get into it. Very mechanically solid game.
7. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; What can I say, I have finished it again with the enhanced edition and it fixed most issues the original version had. The added voice acting adds a lot more life to the game. Still one of the best turn-based combat systems in a RPG, very modernised take on it while retaining CRPG elements in other areas.
8. Axiom Verge ;
9. Undertale ;
10. Bloodborne ;

Honorable Mentions
x. Cities: Skylines ;
x. Rebel Galaxy ;

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Despite the flaws and despite the fact it's not a good "Metal Gear" game, it's still the most time I've put into a game in a long time and I enjoyed every minute I had with it.
2. Rocket League ; The fact I can still go back to the game and still drop in for a few games, which turns into hours, is testament to how addictive and how fun the game is, basically the most I've played any game online this gen.
3. Bloodborne ; Despite having played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, I feel this is the first one that really clicked with me to the point I actually found myself improving and feeling stronger because of it.
4. Final Fantasy VII ; Still a fantastic experience and the ability to play at X3 speed makes it the definitive version of the game to play.
5. Shovel Knight ; As far as "modern games in a retro style" go, Shovel Knight is among the best. I had a fantastic time and it was nice to see a throwback game that wasn't using "retro" as a crutch to made a needlessly difficult, but poorly designed game.
6. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; A fantastic, must play experience if only for the music.
7. Journey ; I ranked this higher on my end of year list when it first came out on PS3, it's getting a mention here because it's still a powerful experience and one I recommend to everyone.
8. The Order: 1886 ; I needed a short game. I had just come off the back of playing a load of pretty massive games and The Order, being a short, tight experience gave me a nice definitive end after only a few sessions. Came at the right time for me. I had a lot of fun with it and found the combat to be incredibly satisfying.
9. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD ; Had to wait a long time for this one and, honestly, I feel it was mostly worth the wait, but it's the sort of game I have no intention of playing more than once, despite the game insisiting otherwise, but I enjoyed the one playthrough and am happy to leave it there.
10. Amplitude ; Late addition, but I am playing it in 2015.... so, you know...

1.Witcher 3; A fitting finale for an amazing trilogy. The story was a little disappointing, but still good, the world is amazing,the side quests are interesting and the C&C,while minor in comparison to the previous games,was still well done.

2. Age of decedance; I've been waiting for an RPG like that all my life. It takes C&C to an entirely new level.

3. Pillars of eternity; Obsidian keeps proving they have the best writing talent in the industry.

4. Divinity Original sin: enhanced edition; Amazing battle system and innovative co op mechanics. The original version was my 2014 GOTY, and the only reason i'm putting it just in the fourth place is that it's just an enhanced version and not a new game.

5. Heroes of the storm; I was never into MOBAs, but I'm a bit addicted to this game. Blizzard can really make every genre fun to play.

6. ShadowRun: Honk Kong;

7. Underrail;

8. Trails in the sky : sc;

9. Ori and the blind forest;

10. Xenoblade Chronicles;

Honorable mentions:
A. Bloodborne
B. Dragon Ball Xenoverse
C. Yoshi wolly world
D. Super mario maker

Oreoleo

1. Rocket League ; The most enduring and fun and fresh game I've played in a long, long time. Came out of nowhere and exceeded my expectations.

2. Kerbal Space Program ; Love this! Building rockets, blowing up rockets. Getting off the launch pad. Getting into orbit. Getting to the Mun! LANDING ON THE MUN! One of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had and the sense of progression and personal improvement is unreal. And there's nothing else quite like it.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Easily the best MGS game I've ever played. My biggest complaint is that there's too much of it which throws the pacing off. The leap between 4 and this one is staggering.

4. Grow Home ; After beating this game I reflected on my short time with it and decided that for what the game is and what it's trying to accomplish, it's pretty much perfect. From starting out on the ground, struggling to climb over even the most basic obstacles, to being able to nearly effortlessly soar through the air and leave no stone unturned, finding all manner of flora and fauna, rivers, caves, asteroids, and the secrets contained therein along the way, everything about this game is perfectly executed.

5. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; An improvement upon the original in every way in my estimation. Though the story line gets a little muddied and convoluted, there is plenty to sink your teeth into. Still though, being "just" more of the same as HL1 keeps this from being higher on the list.

6. Titan Souls ; What a gem of a game! Shadow of the Colossus meets some odd Legend of Zelda/Dark Souls love child. 20 (?) bosses and an open world to explore and discover them in. One hit kill-or-be-killed and armed only with a bow and arrow, a surprising amount of depth and variety can be found within these simple mechanics. The game rewards player ability above all else. And although there will be some who quite simply won't be able to beat it due to the reactions required as some bosses veered a little too far into landing skill shots with almost impossibly small windows of opportunity, the game never lacked for satisfying "Aha!" moments as you figured out the methodology to beating a boss.

7. Cities: Skylines ; The city-builder genre isn't quite for me. But the simple fact that even I was able to jump in and find some fun with this (Something that's never been accomplished for me by SimCity) earns it a spot on my list.

8. Grand Theft Auto V ; I hesitate putting this even this high up my list. As I wrote in another thread, GTAV is adequate at everything but excels at nothing. The farther I get from my time spent in single player the more negatively I reflect upon it. I adored GTA4. I played the hell out of it. In 2008 it was a technical masterpiece and I continually marveled at the world they were able to create. But a lot has changed since then and in 2015 the novelty of open world sandbox games has almost completely faded. And while the presentation and production values are second-to-none (In the main campaign, don't get me started on the utter failure that is the online interface), I could never shake the feeling that I've played this game a half a dozen times before.

9. Agar.io ; www.agar.io A game of fish in a pond, the big fish eating the littler fish, and everyone's trying to become the biggest fish. Simple but completely addictive. The quintessential "Just one more round!" video game.

Honorable Mentions
x. Pillars of Eternity ; I've yet to play an Obsidian game I haven't liked, and this looks to be no different. However I haven't played enough of it to put it on my list in good faith.

x. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; I played the non-enhanced edition early this year and it was AMAZING. Caught me completely by surprise. If I'd played the EE (And I know I could lie and say I did and put in my list still, but..) it would undoubtedly be somewhere in my top 3.

1; The Witcher III: Wild Hunt; A magnificent open world game that embodies gameplay, engaging and twisting side quests, fascinating characters, wonderfully realised lore, world building and combat. Simply put it's one of the best games I've ever played.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; The perfected version of what stealth action should be. Best Third person controls for a character with the overall poor story not hampering down the myriad of stealth gameplay options.

3. Until Dawn; David Cage style game perfected in a teen slash horror skin. The most engaging and fun
drunk
party game to come along in a long while. My gf and I absolutely love this game.

4. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number; The guys at Denaton games expanded on the original game with a greater variety of gameplay mechanics, a more cerebral and fleshed out story and tons of replayability. Oh yeah and they provided the soundtrack of the year too.

5. Batman Arkham Knight; A fitting and deranged conclusion to Rocksteady's Arkham trilogy. The added bonus of the Batmobile was very well implemented and enjoyable to use tearing through baddies and Gotham.

6. Shovel Knight; Loved this game thanks to the insane dose of SNES nostalgia it gave me. Great music and loveable characters with old school 2D gameplay that felt fresh for 2015.

7. Rocket League; Cars and football executed to perfection.

8. Towerfall Ascension; A simple but yet deeply mechanical game that has provided me and my siblings with over 50 hours of multiplayer madness. Dark World expansion was just icing on the cake with all new levels, enemies and archers.

9. The Order 1886; A visual tour de force wrapped in an amazing atmosphere, presentation, solid shooting mechanics and characters I cared about (Go Lady Ingrid!)

10; CoD Blops III; As a missing CoD player for the last 5 years, what really grabbed me was the immense multiplayer offering. A staggering wealth of multiplayer content along with zombies and a decent SP campaign made me enjoy CoD again more than I ever felt possible.

Honourable mentions:

x. Bloodbore; incredible game that I was really digging into as a new Souls player before my disc got stolen.

x. PES 2016; Finally PES returned to its former PS2 glory days to provide a truer football experience to dethrone FIFA as footie king.

1. Fallout 4 ; i love fallout. This is more fallout. Goty
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; the best gameplay in the series coupled with some standout story twists make it a fantastic game
3. Bloodborne ; the souls game that finally pulled me in properly, plays excellent and I love the horror vibe
4. The Beginner's Guide ; the most thought provoking and real game I have ever played
5. Life is strange ; a very charming game and one that uses episodic gaming to its best
6. Her Story ; Amazing acting and a superb narrative
7. Grow Home ; such a weird game from Ubisoft but the climbing is super fun and the aesthetic is gorgeous
8. Super Mario Maker ; expertly made and some of the courses are incredible
9. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair ; the prettiest and best running EDF yet
10. Rocket league ; best plus game ever, super fun with friends and amazing feeling when you score

1. Bloodborne - Melee combat perfected. Enemy and level design is top notch in Bloodborne, and I really like the new Rally mechanic.
2. Atelier Shallie - The removal of the time limit sucks, but Shallie is still a wonderful Atelier game with its amazing setting, characters, crafting and exploration gameplay.
3. Yakuza 5 - I'm nearing the end and can confidently say that it will be at least #3.
4. Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment - A mix of strategic and action-packed combat with the best stats system ever implemented in a RPG.
5. Steins;Gate - Would have been much higher had I not watched the anime first. S;G is pretty much the gold standard of VNs.
6. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance -
7. Beyond: Two Souls -
8. Ar nosurge Plus -
9. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster -
10. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD -
Wrong formatting. Replace the "-" with ";".

1. Bloodborne
2. Batman: Arkham Knight
3. Ori and the Blind Forest
4. N++
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
7. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth
1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
3. Ori and the Blind Forest
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
5. Halo 5: Guardians
6. Rainbow Six: Siege
7. Until Dawn
8. Rise of the Tomb Raider
9. Fallout 4
10. Rocket League
Add ";" in front of each title. Also, you at least need to add one comment to one of the games on your lists.

mrpookles

Edit: managed to fit a couple more games in recently that deserve to be here.

I'll no doubt revisit this in a couple of
weeks, but for now...

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; I had enormous expectations for this and they were met comfortably. I'm already pretty certain this will be the defining game of this generation for me. It also looks fucking phenomenal in 4K.
2. Fallout 4 ; I think this is my least favourite of the FPS Fallout games, but I still loved it, warts and all. I spent way too many hours building 'perfect' settlements...
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I consider myself a MGS mega-fan... and it's for that reason that I'm more disappointed by MGSV as time goes on. The gameplay itself is as good as anything I've experienced, but that story is awful, particularly given the potential for that time in the overall MGS storyline. However, I won't soon forget ghosting through bases with Spandau Ballet and Joy Division blasting in the background.
4. The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone ; Yes, I think Hearts of Stone was better than most full-priced games released this year. Incredible piece of DLC.
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III ; A pretty solid campaign, but the multiplayer is superb. I haven't been this addicted to an online shooter since Modern Warfare 2.
6. Batman Arkham Knight ; Finally got around to playing the PC version after all the patches. It probably deserves less marks for taking 6 months to get 'right' (I still get drops in the Batmobile with 2 x 980ti's in SLI, though), but this for me is the pinnacle of an excellent series. I actually really enjoyed cruising around in the Batmobile and the story was the strongest of all the Arkham games. Fantastic send-off... eventually.
7. Game of Thrones ; Yes, your choices don't matter, but I love how depressingly bleak this game is. As weird as it sounds, I'd choose GoT over many other games to showcase in the "games as art" debate (not that I care for that discussion), purely because of the emotions it elicits. I'm not a believer in games having to be fun, but this was an awesome experience.
8. Halo 5: Guardians ; I can't get over the removal of local co-op, but this is the best Halo campaign in years. Haven't touched the multi-player, but that's not my thing with Halo.
9. Madden NFL 16 ; The best Madden in years and my favourite sports game of 2015. I still think the peripheral sports-nerd fluff that 2K and The Show has (and that I need) is missing with Madden, but the gameplay itself was superb, particularly on D.
10. NBA 2K16 ; I dunno. I put nearly 400 hours into 2K15 (I have a problem...), so maybe I'm a little bit over it this year? Still the best sports series in gaming, but it didn't quite do it for me.

Honorable Mentions
x. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited ; I'm not an MMO person at all, but my wife and I are both huge TES fans and love playing co-op. It's a bit too heavily reliant on fetch-quests, but we're essentially playing it like co-op Skyrim, which has been awesome.
x. The Order: 1886 ; It was short, it ended abruptly and it possibly strayed too far away from being a 'game', but it was a very high quality experience. If the possibility of a sequel dies in the arse, I will be disappointed. I'm invested enough in the lore now.
x. Grand Theft Auto V ; I already played it on 360, so I won't give it points in the ballot, but playing this on PC at 60fps proved to be the definitive version of one of my favourite games of the last few years. Now, do the same for Red Dead Redemption...

Mr. Sam

I'm holding out on voting until way close to the deadline because I'm yet to play Undertale and Rocket League but I'm sure I'll love both of them. That's my goal for the Christmas break.

ZombAid82

8. SteamWorld Heist ; I'm not quite done with this game but it's unique game play has already earned it a spot on my Top 10 list. 2D XCOM with a bullet ricochet mechanic, what more could you want?

Finally a second vote, for this outstanding Game!

Someone should cache this periodically so we can see how many people add Undertale and Ori to their list by the 23rd :p

That and only seeing SteamWorld Heist on 3 lists (including mine) so far is making me sad.

Can't wait to see the results of who you match up best with, my favorite part, and main reason I participate in this.

That would really be quite interesting. Unfortunately my Laptop is shit and I don't have a XBone, these two reason's are the only one's, why Ori isn't on my list. Would love the shit out of that Metroidvania-gem^^

Lyng

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; For me personally this is the best RPG since Baldurs Gate II. The way this game tells stories and conveys atmosphere is fantastic. 2015 was a fantastic year for games with a heap of games that would easily have won Goty last year or even years before. Still none of them are even close to the Witcher III. This game is an instant classic and I am sure we will still be talking about this game in many years to come.
2. Pillars of Eternity ; Didnt get to play this before right after new years. But man did this game blow me away. Such a beautifull homage to the old infinity engine games that I loved so much. Fantastic storytelling and they managed to make the UI and skill system very accessible. This year has really been one of the best ever as a rpg fan. Even if you dont normally like CRPG's you need to try this game. Obsidian are wizards!
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Exploration done right. What a beautifull game. This game does exploration better than any other game out there and is the best console exclusive this year. And on top of that its a fantastic Jrpg.
4. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ; I was never a huge fan of the Borderlands games. I liked the style and the art but somehow the stories allways felt like they tried to hard to be funny without success. Well Telltale changed that with Tales from the Borderlands. One of the few videogames to ever make me laugh out loud, and it oozes atmosphere and style in a way the main Borderlands games could only dream of. Wonderfull adventure game and the best so far from Telltale.
5. Rocket League
6. Splatoon
7. Life is Strange
8. Undertale
9. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
10. Heroes of the Storm

Robiin

1. Bloodborne ; Perfect gameplay, the currency concept in these games is still brilliant. Hard bosses, atmospheric as can be. Bloodborne carries it's obvious Souls legacy with pride. Truly a masterpiece in my eyes.

2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; I did not complete this game, but after 40 hours I can say that this is world-class world-building. The combat in this game is not the best it could have been, but it only sticks out because everything else is top notch. Beautiful vistas, roads and towns that make sense, story and lore to dig in to. This is a game you can drown in, and I truly want to get back to this when all DLC has been released.

3. Until Dawn ; When I bought this, on a whim, I did not really know what to expect. I told my girlfriend that I had a game we could "play" together. I started playing with her watching, and we were engaged from start to finish. It does what it sets out to do really well, and it does not try to be more than what it is. One of the few games I've started again right after the credits were finished.

4. Super Mario Maker ; Everyone loves 2D Mario. It is incredible to me that this game has not come out before 2015, because it is an obvious, yet genius concept. Wether you like playing or creating, this game will hook you. It has endless possibilities, and will be in my rotation for a long time to come.

5. Ori and the Blind Forest ; As a Metroidvania with focus on platforming, this game is really good. As a piece of art, it is stunning. An overlooked gem released in the beginning of the year, truly memorable for me.

6. Splatoon ; Great, innovative conept for a third person shooter. Brilliant, actually. Unfortunately, I never played this with a team of people I knew, which would probably have made this game jump higher on my list.

7. Rocket League ; I started to play this late, in december way after everyone else. I was scared everyone would be amazing and that I was never gonna be able to compete. That was not the case, and the controls were so intuitive I was flip kicking balls into the net and flying with my car not ten minutes after figuring out how to accelerate. This is a genious concept, and it is executed to perfection. The definition of easy to learn, difficult to master.

8. Fallout 4 ; This game is really similar to Bethesda's previous Fallout. Which I spent 140 hours on and loved. The shooting is better, but there are unfortunately things that are worse. The conversation and choices are really lackluster, and I don't feel the perk/level up system is as good as it was in Fallout 3 (or New Vegas). Despite that, you can still lose many hours simply walking around in this world. And that is why I loved Fallout 3. And guess what, it still works.

9. Life is Strange ; It is great to see this genre evolve after TellTale basically recreated the adventure game in The Walking Dead. The mechanic that makes this different is of course being able to rewind time. This could have ruined the choice-and-consequence nature of the game, but they put in just enough limits and the choices are never black amd white so it works. Full of tense moments and cheesy teen dialouge, it's a great quirky game I am really glad I played through.

10. Yoshi's Woolly World ; After many years, finally another good Yoshi platformer.

Honorable mentions:
x. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; Does this count? I think it released here in Europe reeally late in 2014, as I recall playing it with my girlfriend on New Years Eve and having a blast.

Overall, a fantastic year for me.

Rushy

1. DRIVECLUB BIKES ; I couldn't be more biased, but Bikes have never been this much fun before!
2. Bloodborne ; Amazing fluid combat, dark beautiful world, deep interesting lore & some stunning bosses combine for the best 'Souls' games to date!
3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Charming metroidvania style platformer that's both beautiful and delight to play.
4. Rocket League ; Pure unadulterated fun, don't think I've laughed so much with glee in years.
5. Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin ; A slow burner that at first I struggled to click with, but when it does click you'll be hooked.
6. Everyone's Gone to the Rapture ; A haunting journey through a stunningly created world that offers a very unique experience.
7. SOMA ; Morality has never been murkier in a game that really questions your actions. A very intriguing game that caught me by surprise.
8. N++ ; Pure platforming fun with no fuss, with that perfect level of precision to truly show off your skills.
9. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain ; This has the best gameplay in a Metal Gear game to date, its just a shame not all of the other elements gel as this could easily have been so much further up the list.
10. Hotline Miami Wrong Number ; Arguably weaker than the original, but it certainly had that intensity and pace that kept me enthralled from start to finish.

1. DRIVECLUB BIKES ; I couldn't be more biased, but Bikes have never been this much fun before!
2. Bloodborne ; Amazing fluid combat, dark beautiful world, deep interesting lore & some stunning bosses combine for the best 'Souls' games to date!
3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Charming metroidvania style platformer that's both beautiful and delight to play.
4. Rocket League ; Pure unadulterated fun, don't think I've laughed so much with glee in years.
5. Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin ; A slow burner that at first I struggled to click with, but when it does click you'll be hooked.
6. Everyone's Gone to the Rapture ; A haunting journey through a stunningly created world that offers a very unique experience.
7. SOMA ; Morality has never been murkier in a game that really questions your actions. A very intriguing game that caught me by surprise.
8. N++ ; Pure platforming fun with no fuss, with that perfect level of precision to truly show off your skills.
9. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain ; This has the best gameplay in a Metal Gear game to date, its just a shame not all of the other elements gel as this could easily have been so much further up the list.
10. Hotline Miami Wrong Number ; Arguably weaker than the original, but it certainly had that intensity and pace that kept me enthralled from start to finish.

Is this allowed?

Aceofspades

Banned

I'm happy that you like Bloodborne, also DC bikes are amazing.

Is this allowed?

image.php

1. The Witcher 3 ; As a long time witcher fan this is the game I was waiting for. I always wanted to do things like take on witcher contracts like in the books, something witcher 1 and 2 didn't really let you do, but the witcher 3 really succeeds in making you feel like a witcher by doing what the first two games couldn't . Make you feel like you're hunting monsters. Combat was great, but the story is what really kept me hooked.

2. Halo 5 ; After the disappointment that was halo 4 mp, halo 5 is what sucked me back in.It did things i never knew I wanted in a halo game(ground pound , sprint and thrust). 343 perfected halo's gameplay and I can't wait to see what they do next.

3. Metal Solid V ; It had a disappointing story, but the gameplay more than made up for it.

4. Batman Arkham Knight ; The perfect send off for the arkham series.

5. Rocket League ; Addicting multiplayer and a steep learning curve makes this one of the best multiplayer games to come out this year.

6. Dying Light ; This game came out of nowhere and took me by surprise. I wasn't a believer in first person platforming, but I sure as hell am now.

7. Bloodborne ; This game would be much higher on my list if I had not played it immediately after finishing dark souls 2.

RexNovis

Banned

Haha! This made me smile. Always nice to see industry people participate in these sort of threads. Enjoyed reading through your comments.

To those of you complaining about his number 1 pick. Chill. We all have our biases and he's free to vote for any games he wants. Besides he gave more reasoning for his views than most others in this thread and it's only 1 vote after all. Let the man participate.

Rushy

Is this allowed?

shilling for your own game? who knows lol

lol, gotta love Rushy ;)

Haha! This made me smile. Always nice to see industry people participate in these sort of threads. Enjoyed reading through your comments.

To those of you complaining about his number 1 pick. Chill. We all have our biases and he's free to vote for any games he wants. Besides he gave more reasoning for his views than most others in this thread and it's only 1 vote after all. Let the man participate.

Just glad I can participate, if its gets struck from the list then so be it :)

Would love to see more devs vote!

HtotheOza

Neo Member
1. Metal Gear Solid V ; Never has a game convinced me to commit my time and effort like this.

2. The Witcher 3 ; New to this type of RPG genre; it has hooked me in.

3. NBA 2K16 ; Improved game modes and tightening of gameplay makes this the best one yet.

4. Rocket League ; Sports multiplayer fun for hours.

5. Mad Max ; Far Cry feel with a fresh take.

Haha! This made me smile.Always nice to see industry people participate in these sort of threads. Enjoyed reading through your comments.

Yeah same here haha.

1. MGSV. Never has a game convinced me to commit my time and effort like this.

2. Witcher 3. New to this type of RPG genre; it has hooked me in.

3. NBA 2K16. Improved game modes and tightening of gameplay makes this the best one yet.

4. Rocket League. Sports multiplayer fun for hours.

5. Mad Max. Far Cry feel with a fresh take.

Use semicolons not periods or your votes won't count. Witcher 3 should be spelled The Witcher III: Wild Hunt. MGSV should be spelled out. No abbreviations.

KooopaKid

Banned
SI_WiiU_Splatoon.jpg

1. Splatoon ; New IP, new concept, new gameplay, the freshest game of the year. Impeccable game design. The swimming and paint mechanic opens up so many strategies. Best character controls of the year. It's just a joy to move around. More than 300 hours logged in and counting. 5/5.

mario_maker_craft.jpg

2. Super Mario Maker ; Possibly the best level editor and most intuitive UI ever. Play a Mario game from the other side of the curtain. Creating a fun and fair Mario level is a puzzle in itself and makes it indirectly one of the best puzzle game of the year. Never a level editor has been this much fun. 200 hours logged in and counting. 5/5.

3. Affordable Space Adventures ; Unique use of the gamepad and a hint of Portal. 4/5.

4. Stretchmo ; More of the same but still brilliant. 4/5.

5. Yoshi's Woolly World ; The best Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island. Solid level design and beautiful artstyle. 4/5.

6. Boxboy ; Clever little puzzle game with a unique game mechanic. 4/5.

Played but not ranked:

Transformers Devastation
Majora's Mask 3D
Kirby And The Rainbow Curse
Shantae And The Pirate's Curse

McNum

2015 has been a rather weak year for my tastes. Not helped by the fact that what I'd imagined would be my top three this year just did not launch yet. No XCOM 2, no No Man's Sky, no Fire Emblem Fates. Not even Star Fox Zero, and that game doesn't even look that hot, yet it would still be an easy top-5 among this year's competition. So, here's McNum's list of games he played this year while waiting for the games that didn't actually release, but should have.

1. Super Mario Maker ; Nintendo gave us the keys to Mario and said "Good luck!"
Super Mario Maker is not a new idea, Little Big Planet did the 2D level editor thing first, and several third party 2D Mario hacking tools exist. And yet Nintendo made one of the most user-friendly level editors I have seen. Making a level is easy, just draw on the GamePad, and drag things from your palette into the level as you fill it with blocks, Koopas, coins and several other classic Mario objects and enemies. The game started with some notable omissions, but Nintendo has added some, like checkpoints, through updates. Here's hoping for a slopes update later.

Now, while making a level is easy, making a GOOD level... is not. I think I've done okay, but if there's one thing Super Mario Maker shows off more than anything, it's just how fiendishly difficult it is to even approach Nintendo quality levels. Far too often you run into levels that are just awful, unfair, or downright broken, and doing the 100 Mario Challenge where you get 100 lives to beat 16 user-made levels can be incredibly frustrating. Mario levels are hard to make. Even one block can dramatically change the flow of the level, and using coins to lead the player is an artform. And yet, I've also seen levels that shine brighter than most Nintendo levels. Clever tricks, awesome re-appropriation of blocks to create new environments, challenging and fair levels, or silly gimmicks like auto-playing music levels or a level that requires you to kill several Yoshis to proceed. It is amazing to see what some people can do with this thing.

That is why Super Mario Maker is my Game of the Year. Those shining examples of player creativity combined with a well crafted editor makes this the ultimate 2D Mario game for me. And if it isn't for you, then you can make it so. I know I did.

2. Splatoon ; Squid? Kid? I'm the Inkling with a gun!
A fashion themed squad-based online shooter where you're a humanoid transforming squid-kid battling it out with supersoakers full of ink. By Nintendo. An online shooter for people like me, who don't like online shooters. This is a weird game, really, but thanks to the usual spot-on controls that Nintendo do so well, motion based or otherwise, and a surprisingly solid online experience, this game just comes together really well. Like if Nintendo did Team Fortress 2, but with squids and ink. The gear is all fashionable fresh clothes, and there is a good variety of abilities and designs for every Inkling to find something that matches their playstyle.

The music deserves its own paragraph, as it is, to borrow the word from the game, quite fresh. "Music like what the Inklings would listen to" is a phenomenal idea, and it lends itself quite well with its garbled squid-pop to make the game come together as a whole. And the entire game is hosted by the two song idols Callie and Marie. And yes, this game has a LOT of sealife puns.

Stay fresh!

3. Just Cause 3 ; Wings of Revolution
Just Cause 3 is a game about flying around with a wingsuit and blowing things up. If that's what you want in a game, then this game delivers exactly that.

You play as Rico Rodriguez, Dictator Removal Specialist, and have to liberate the Mediterranean island nation of Medici from the evil dictator General Di Ravello. You do so by blowing it up. You liberate towns by ejecting the Di Ravello Militia (and yes, it's abbreviated DRM in-game), and military facilities by blowing up everything important, helpfully marked with red paint. Liberate all settlements in a province, and the province is free. Liberate all provinces in a region and the region is free. Liberate all regions and Medici is free. You traverse the open world on land, in the sea and in the air, with the new feature in the game being the faceplantingly fun wingsuit. Learning how to master that makes the game a much smoother experience. Which is good, because some vehicles handle well, and some... don't. Some motorcycles are notoriously hard to drive, but helicopters, on the other hand, are great. Scattered around the world are various collectibles, and should you bring a car to a garage, you can "Rebel Drop" it in at any time. The downside of the game is that all upgrades are locked away behind challenges, which get really repetitive, not to mention the issue of a strict time limit on races with randomized traffic.

Overall the game is pretty fun, and the explosions are pretty. Just... be warned that the console version have some issues that the PC version does not.

4. Mushihimesama ; The Bug Princess comes to Steam, hope you like bullets!
Bugs and bullets. Lots of bugs and bullets. Mushihimesama is a classic Cave Bullet Hell shoot 'em Up, finally released on PC. You play as Reco, riding her trusty golden bug, and you must fight five stages worth of bullet spewing insects and gigantic bosses. I kind of feel like I'm not entirely qualified to tell if this is a good Bullet Hell shooter, since I still haven't gotten further than its new player friendly Novice mode, but I had fun with it. Novice is a nice pace, but just know that the game has many, much harder, difficulties and modes of play available.

It's worth noting that the 1.5 version of Mushihimesama is available as an add on, which is apparently a big deal since that particular version is super-rare in the arcades, but rather cheap on Steam.

It would be wrong to not mention the music for Mushihimesama as it deserves its own paragraph. Catchy, tense, and even subdued at times, the game knows exactly what music to play while you're dodging bullets for your life. And since the game comes with the original, arrange, and 1.5 music (if you get the 1.5 DLC), there's a lot of catchy tunes to shoot bugs by.

5. Dragon Ball XenoVerse ; Shameless selfinsert Dragon Ball fanfiction: The Game! And that's totally okay.
A generically evil bad guy is threatening time itself, and Trunks gathers the Dragon Balls to wish for a warrior powerful enough to aid him. Which is you. Because Goku was apparently busy dying his hair blue or something. Create your character, be he or she human, saiyan, namekian, majin, or a member of the frieza-clan, and save time itself from a generic doomsday villain!

The fighting is decent. Moves are easy to do, combos don't rely on frame-perfect timing, and building up an infinite combo is somewhat easy. And then the opponent vanishes and appears behind you or explodes you away, thanks to the defensive options the game offers. The ranged game is a bit more limited. There are big ki attacks and you either block them or dodge. Or counter if you have that skill. The major downside to the game is how everything outside the story mode is random. Do you get a skill? Random. Does the special event in a sidequest trigger? Random. Do you find a Dragon Ball? Random. You can end in situations where you have a random roll to decide if you get a random roll. That's a little TOO much random for me. Still, the core game is fun, even if the loot drops are awful.

6. Pac-Man 256 ; Wakka-wakka-wakka... LASER! Wakka-wakka-wakPNGIM00QOHJN11GFLPF
An endless Pac-Man runner seems like such an obvious idea in hindsight, because it works really well. You take your standard Pac-Man gameplay, and then canonoze the classic level 256 glitch where half the maze becomes gibberish as a wall of death that chases you, add some upgradable powerups for flavor and you have a simple, yet entertaining F2P game. There's not much else to it, it's, well... exactly what you'd expect from a F2P endless Pac-Man runner.

Although, I don't think I've seen a game based on a fatal error in a previous game in its own series before, so that's kind of neat.

7. Cities: Skylines ; It's like SimCity, but done right.
It's a well made, agent based, transportation focused, city building simulator. And boy does it simulate. People, vehicles, electricity, water, crime, and just about anything you could think of should be simulated, well, is. The standout examples would be water simulation, where you have to consider currents (place your waste disposal downstream from your water pumps) and can actually drain lakes with the water pumps, or turn a valley into a disgusting lake of sewage, and of course the traffic simulation. This is the Cities in Motion team. They do transport very well, even if the way to make it all run smoothly is a bit complicated. But I imagine real life road design isn't easy either.

I am not a fan of the tutorial, though. It explains way too much, way too fast, without giving the player a chance to try out the mechanics it attempts to teach, but at the same time it locks out several useful tools until the city has reached certain milestones. The new player experience is not very optimal.

But as a point of wonderful snark, expanding your city's land to nine times the size of what you begin with unlocks the achievement "SIMulated City". Ouch.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Now with the ability to save the game! And in 3D!
I was never a big fan of Majora's Mask. The time limit, despite being generous, always bugged me, especially since the only way to hard save was to reset time and undo everything you did up until that point. Majora's Mask 3D has save points that save both your location and time of day. Very convenient and it alleviates so much frustration. Otherwise, well, it's Majora's Mask. The odd-ball sidestory Zelda that's quite unique, despite sharing a lot with Ocarina of Time. The world is a depressing land, but through its ample amount of sidequests, you get to know the inhabitants of the land, and save it bit by bit until Termina becomes a land worth saving from its terrible fate. You don't save the world from lunar annihilation. You save the world... and then you go stop the moon. And that is kind of unique.

9. Freedom Planet ; Not the Hedgehog we deserve, but the dragon (and cat, and bunny) that we need right now.
Now for the Wii U! It's a fairly good "Sonic the Hedgehog, but with an attack button and fighting game moves" platformer. It controls very nicely, and the characters are all pretty cute. The levels are big and expansive, and the boss battles are excellent. The game can be really difficult, though, and some bosses will wreck you. Also, the voice acting is... yeah, let's not talk about that too much. Still, a solid game that's fun to play. And in the end that's what matters.

10. HuniePop ; A match 3 dating sim puzzle game. Really.
It's a silly game, in case you didn't notice from the mismatched genres, and yes, it panders heavily with fanservice, as such anime dating sims do. Nothing really special about that, except that the match 3 game is actually pretty good. Yes, really. Kind of like Candy Crush, in that you can match symbols from across the field, and then you have different resources, a score multiplier, and single-use powerups. In short, this game works way better than it has any right to. It is extremely lewd, though.

And that's about all I played that's worth mentioning. If you aren't a fan of realistic open world games, or quirky indie RPGs, this has been such a disappointing year. I doubt PAC-MAN 256, Freedom Planet, or especially HuniePop would even have been considered for a list like this had anything big that I wanted to play actually released apart from what Nintendo was doing.

Bring on 2016 already! February alone almost looks stronger than all of 2015 for me.

Plum

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Overall the most enjoyable and all-around great experience of the year. Took me so long to beat but it never really felt tedious, thanks in part to the amazing story-line and writing. Hearts of Stone was just the cherry on the cake.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Wasn't considering this at all at the start of the year but after playing 30 hours (and having only just got my Skell) I can definitely say that it's worthy of this place in the list. The feeling of exploring and conquering a new planet is unparalleled.

3. Bloodborne ; An excellent evolution of the Souls formula with amazing art design, level design and game-play. A tad bit lacking in content in terms of weapons and the framerate and loading issues marred the experience a bit but they weren't big enough issues to harm the game too much.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Probably the best gameplay of the year for me despite some of the tedium involved. Would have been my automatic No. 1 if the story hadn't fumbled so much in the end.

5. Super Mario Maker
; I never thought creating Mario levels would be this fun. Would definitely be improved with a sequel and a less "auto-focused" community but it's fun nonetheless. Seeing people's feedback for levels is great and so is making them.

6. Splatoon
; A new IP from Nintendo? That IP is a third person competitive shooter? If you'd told me that a few years ago I'd have laughed, but it's actually my favorite shooter of the year.

7. Cities: Skylines ; A more apt name would be Traffic Management Simulator 2015, but this is what Sim City 5 should have been.

8. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; Too similar to The New Order but then again TNO was my GOTY 2014 so more of that is still enough to beat many other shooters this year.

9. Fallout 4 ; Not the amazing step forward I was hoping it to be but 50 hours of fun don't lie. Would have been higher but the removed RPG elements and the (imo) terrible settlement building bring it down to here.

10. Until Dawn ; These kinds of cinematic games rarely, if ever, place highly on my lists (Heavy Rain and Beyond I really did not like) but Until Dawn was a legitimately good horror experience. The "Don't Move" parts made me more tense than any sub-par jump scare game ever could.

Honorable Mentions
x. Yoshi's Wooly World
x. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
x. Life is Strange
x. Olli Olli 2: Welcome to Olliwood

Dude, DriveClub is great, but this reeks of desperation.

Com_Raven

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Simply one of the best rpgs, and best realized virtual worlds I have ever experienced. Writing, voice over work, the music and the graphics all come together beautifully.

2. Heroes of the Storm ; It is the quintessential Blizzard game- taking ideas and concepts that other developers came up with, polishing them to the nth degree, and making it super addictive.

3. Destiny: The Taken King ; The Taken King is the comeback story of the year for me. Bungie managed to take a game with great shooting and many weaknesses and improved just about everything. A far better game with better missions, more variety, less grinding.

4. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate ; Syndicate takes the large, living city from Unity, adds the best character since Ezio and combines it with some memorable missions for my favorite AC game since Brotherhood.

5. Star Wars Battlefront ; I found Battlefront refreshing precisely because it was so old-school compared to most modern shooter. Play third or first person? Power-ups strewn across the map? Yes! Also, without a doubt one of the most technically impressive games ever made.

6. Halo 5: Guardians ; While I disliked the story and Locke as a character, Halo 5 still does a lot of things right: Good missions and variety in the co-op campaign, the holy trifecta of guns, melee and grenades, 60fps and some beautiful scenery.

7. Shadowrun Hong Kong ; Harebrained Schemes has on the quiet become one of the best developers of rpgs. Writing and characters are top notch, and they have a perfect grasp on the unique Shadowrun world.

8. Pillars of Eternity ; I put a lot of money into the Kickstarter, hoping that Obsidian would be able to recapture that Infinity Engine magic. And they did- when playing Pillars, I had to keep reminding myself that I am not playing Baldur’s Gate 3.

9. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; While I loved The New Order, and think that it was one of the greatest debuts for an AAA studio in recent years, I missed the pulp elements that the series used to have.

10. Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Fallen Empire ; When SWTOR went F2P, most people happily called it a flop. Yet here we are 4 years later, with a fantastic new expansion adding all the things that people love about SWTOR and BioWare.

Honorable mention:
Vermintide ; When it was first announced, I expected Vermintide to be another mediocre Warhammer game. It ended up being my biggest surprise of 2015, with great coop game play and a fantastic Warhammer atmosphere. Excited to keep playing as they expand it!

Vagrant

1. Metal Gear Solid V ; I couldn't stop playing it. It delivered on what I wanted in a Metal Gear. World reacts to so many things, just a blast to play even now. Feels emergent in a way games rarely do. Almost like each mission is a mini-mg you direct. Amazing technical achievement in lighting, AI, animation, and controls. Downsides were Konami not letting him complete it, adding microtransactions, and Quiet's treatment/design, but the overall package makes it better than the sum of its parts and failures.

2. Bloodborne ; Loved the design of, well everything. Preferred the faster paced combat to Dark Souls' more methodical approach. Regain is great as are the trick weapons. Downsides were the framerate and online play not being up to the standards of DS, but haven't tried the new version yet to see if this improved.

3. Mario Maker ; So polished and fun. Surprised me with how much fun I had with it, especially in a group setting. Making your own sound effects is brilliant.

1. Bloodborne ; An amazing game that joins my top 10 favorite games of all time. I was never a fan of the souls games but Bloodborne grabbed me tight and won't let go. It's probably the tightest gameplay I've experienced and is dripping in atmosphere. Can't express how much I love this game.
2. Trails of Cold Steel ; This is a JRPG-ass-JRPG and I'm loving every minute of it. The world building is fascinating, with political intrigue I haven't seen since Suikoden. The voice acting is top notch and fits each character incredibly well. I love this game and I'm glad it made it into 2015 even if it was incredibly late. Sorry Persona, you're getting bumped.
3. Call of Duty Black Ops 3 ; The best COD since BLOPS 2, it mixes that traditional COD feel with new mechanics perfectly. The only game that I can play for 8 hours straight and not get tired. The game is also jam packed with ways I can play with my friends, from the excellent MP, to Zombies to a fun co-op campaign.
4. Tales of Zestiria ; Love Tales games. This is more Tales games
5. Steins;Gate ; An awesome Visual Novel.
6. Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines ; Sony's forgotten first party JRPG. Beautiful art style.
7. Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & the Monster Seal ; Just a fun and simple DRPG.
8. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; A really expansive JRPG, if only a little too complicated.
9. Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters ; the most unique VN I've played.
10. Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart ; A fun, simple and cute Turn based SRPG.

x. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ; Pure Persona 4 fanservice and I love it. Best music of the year too.

Not that it matters but do you think Splatoon is guaranteed to be top 10???

I'm saying maybe even 7(pulled out of my ass).

Top 3 are gonna be Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and MGSV for sure, although order is up in the air. Rest of the top 10 will probably be Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Until Dawn, Undertale, Rocket League, Fallout 4 and Xenoblade X. Although I'd give an outside shot to Arkham Knight as well. The specific order is anyone's guess but from just skimming over lists so far in the thread I'd say those are the games showing up the most.

Sky Chief

1. MGSV; This was there only game I played this year that I enjoyed enough to put significant time into (and I bought a fair amount of games). I'm currently 150+ good in and I think this may have the best controls of any game I have ever played.

fallingdove

1. Bloodborne ; fascinating lore, beautifully haunting asthetic, buttery smooth gameplay mechanics, and perfectly tuned difficulty. I loved the game start to finish to start + to finish +.

2. Tearaway Unfolded PS4 ; This game deserved more. Such a unique experience, full of charm. I played it through immediately after Batman Arkham Knight - Tearaway was the perfect game to play to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

3. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain ; It could have been perfect. The opening sequence is the best hour I have ever played, the gameplay through the 32nd mission polished to a high shine. But in the end the game crumbled under its own ambition and failed to claim its place as my GOTY.

4. Final Fantasy 7 PS4 ; I know, I know, it's a PC port, but it was a remaster new to the PS4 this year. The game holds up so remarkably well, the biannual Tales releases only wish they could somehow capture the memorability of this classic. The added cheats were also much appreciated. In a time where I don't have time, being able to speed up the grinding process and toggling off random battles, FF7 became an ultimate nostalgic experience.

5. Fallout 4 ; ...for the more refined gunplay. If they could only ditch the jank, Bethesda have some gameplay to match the rich atmosphere that they typically ship with their games.

Regiruler

1. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. ; I've done the underdog vote for god knows how long. I feel like a broken record, but history keeps repeating itself. Fantastic presentation, great use of 3D, superb, completely original soundtrack: do not let the promoted main theme fool you: this is a well engineered dynamic soundtrack with genuine metal influences and techno touches (vaguely similar to Metal Gear Rising's, but less aggressive and no vocals). Packed in with fun, challenging gameplay that was built without the save points in mind, so that experienced players can enjoy an experience that was made to challenge if they ignore those features. An absolutely, criminally underlooked title on a system that people have written off for anything not in the RPG genre. Only downside would be the rather unbalanced (but still fun) multiplayer, but this is a side attraction to the main experience.
2. Splatoon ; Immensely engaging gameplay, good soundtrack, a decent campaign that ends strong, and a consistent content flow makes Splatoon hit my second spot fairly easily. My playtime in this also dwarfs every other title on my list combined as of this post. Only major complaint is the predictability of the content updates: something other than new maps and gear would be welcomed at this point, possibly to implement desired features.
3. FAST Racing Neo ; Some jank aside due to budget restrictions (mostly online and multiplayer issues that may be addressed in a patch), this is an immensely fun racer with a catchy soundtrack, but a bit light on content. Given the price tag, however, this is something that is fairly easy to excuse, as it maintains a good content to price tag ratio (roughly a dollar per track, more or less). Would happily buy DLC for.
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Absolutely superb world design helps alleviate some of the flaws that I've encountered so far, but given that out of all the games I list, I've gotten the least progress into XCX in relation to the size of the game (then again, Box Boy likes to be enigmatic with how far I am from the end). I came in with very little expectations for the primary plot, so I find Xenoblade Chronicles X to be greatly superior to it's predecessor, given that I don't care for the characters in either outside of the avatar (which I suspect is starting to somehow gain sentience). Soundtrack is very memorable, which at times actually works against the game due to sadly common poor choices for cutscenes. The menu based combat also feels like it's starting to show its age, and I think adapting some elements from more refined menu-based choices like WoW (jumping to avoid shockwaves, more gimmick-based encounters instead of X enemy but bigger and with lightning attacks, etc.) would be wise for the future of the franchise.
5. The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes ; A fantastic game that was unfairly panned due to the populace being shit at zelda and unable to convey themselves in a silent setting. TriForce Heroes has fantastic visual and sound design, with some music that defies the "budget entry" rhetoric that often gets tagged onto the game. While I've enjoyed this title more than some of the others on the list, it's rather barebones menu and settings, as well as a tendency for the servers to lag and disconnect despite the game being region locked to prevent just that, prevent it from taking the top spot on my list.
6. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Visually gorgeous with a lovely artstyle, great soundtrack (if a bit too ambient at times) wraps this game into a very elegant platformer experience. Sadly, the somewhat lackluster combat, even if it isn't the main draw of the game, does get a bit tedious in certain scenarios.
7. Box Boy ; Box Boy's biggest strength is in its unpredictability. Much like Kid Icarus Uprising, Box Boy likes to initially downplay the amount of material there is to cover, and with new mechanics every chapter, it hardly gets stale, impressively without actually altering the player's abilities. The artstyle, while charming, doesn't really appeal to me (I think they could have found something to use for a background), and the music is unfortunately rather forgettable.
8. Runbow ; A fantastically designed multiplayer experience that scales very well with the number of players, and is very accommodating to new players. There are definitely touches of love all throughout the experience, from the narrator(?) that chastises you every time you die (with a wide selection of quotes so that it doesn't wear itself out too quickly) to the well-fitting UI and menus (there's even a fun toggle that intentionally does absolutely nothing). Biggest detractor would be its tendency to skip frames every so often, which isn't super huge given that turnaround is fairly quick should you mess up (along with being a lot of insurance) but it's visually jarring and unfun when it messes up a run.
9. Super Mario Maker ; While it initially seems very flexible, Mario Maker's editing limitations have really started to eat away at me. Minor things like a maximum size for the select window, element overlap deleting other elements, and quirks in placing some elements leads to a rather frustrating experience for me. That said, Mario Maker's novelty factor is very strong, and seeing some of the better levels can redeem the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom