• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 and Xbox One in 2015 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

PlayStation in 2015: Goodwill ensured that the party continued

At the end of last year, there was a feeling that Sony had basked in its good favour long enough, and that it was time to get to work on some of its promises. Turns out that the good favour has lasted another 12 months, and the promises are starting to pile up. 2016's party is going to have to be pretty special.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...015-goodwill-ensured-that-the-party-continued

Xbox in 2015: A textbook year, but it's time to innovate again

When all's said and done, Xbox has done its penance; Spencer and his team have earned our renewed trust. It's time for Microsoft's gaming initiative to innovate again, as it did so brilliantly with its first two consoles. And there are encouraging signs that, in 2016, it will do just that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-textbook-year-but-its-time-to-innovate-again

Man

Eurogamer's top 10 game of the year list is as follows:

1. Bloodborne (PS4 exclusive)
2. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4, best console version)
3. Splatoon
4. Rocket League (PS4 console exclusive)
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, best console version)
6. Her Story
7. Invisible, Inc. (coming soon to PS4)
8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4 exclusive)
10. Life is Strange (PS4, best console version)

6 PS4 games, 3 exclusive.
3 Xbox games, 0 exclusives.

As far as exclusives go, I found both consoles' lineups to be pretty lackluster. The only exclusives that stood out to me were Bloodborne and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Everything else was just okay. Here's hoping 2016 is better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
These guys know exactly what to say to rile people up.

And if it's leaning towards anyone's platform of choice then validation follows.

Duxxy3

PS4 coasted late. Xbox One coasted early.

It doesn't look like either of them are going to coast in 2016.

Conduit

Banned
In terms of exclusives not really. However it's no different than 360 coasting on third party support for as long as it did.

Bloodborne, The Order : 1886, MLB 15, Tearaway Unfolded, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Zestiria, Disgaea 5, Nathan Drake Collection, Until Dawn, Toukiden Kiwami, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture...

Fine by me!

Are there?

3. Splatoon
6. Her Story (coming soon to PS4)

Eurogamer will eurogamer! I visit their website only for the digital foundry section, to see if i'm going PS4 or PC!

Bloodborne, The Order : 1886, MLB 15, Tearaway Unfolded, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Zestiria, Disgaea 5, Nathan Drake Collection, Until Dawn, Toukiden Kiwami, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture...

Fine by me!

Absolutely, I've been drown in games this year and still have a huge backlog to complete consisted of both first party and third party titles!

3. Splatoon
6. Her Story (coming soon to PS4)

So 3 PS4 exclusives, 6 PS4 games. 0 Xbox exclusives, 3 Xbox games.

They certainly got that number 1 right. :)

Though it looks like the Bloodborne article isn't up yet?

Hope Stanton wrote it.

It continues to astound me how unfairly harsh people are on the PS4 in comparison to the competition, but I guess this is what happens when you're the market leader. I suspect the narrative will continue in 2016 should one of its 25 or so exclusives get delayed, too.

Alas, I guess it's good that the company is kept on its toes, so hopefully it digs in and continues its current trajectory.

Septic360

Banned
The PS4 IS being carried a lot by multiplats though. That's the point. The whole Greatness Awaits mantra has become a meme in itself and had it not been for Bloodborne, the line-up would look really bare for a console that's enjoying such domination in terms of sales.

So I agree with Eurogamer on that front wholeheartedly.

Since launch, I think the X1 has decisively outdone the PS4 when it comes to those big hitters in terms of exclusives:

http://www.gameondaily.com/xbox-one-beats-ps4-three-holiday-seasons-in-a-row/

2016 is the year PS4 really gets into gear on its exclusives. So far though, aside from the brilliant Bloodborne, it just seems rather barren in the big title stakes, particularly in comparison to the X1.

Subjective tastes and all but I don't see the statement from Eurogamer to be ridiculous at all. The victim act really does irk me. That really peaked when the reviews for the Order came out and so many launched a massive defence of some global conspiracy and then convenienty shut the hell up when Bloodborne's reviews came out.

akashhhhh

Personally, I agree with them. I resent my PS4, which I've had for two years. I'm shockingly glued to my Xbox One, which I've had for a week.

After all the sins during the last generation (coasting on a diet of Gears/Halo/Forza, putting apps behind a paywall, Kinect nonsense) Microsoft had to do a lot to win me back, but they did it somehow. Ori and Sunset are already better than anything I've played on my PS4, Bloodborne included.

Just my opinion. Should be noted that I like my Wii U better than both and play multiplats on PC.

Hmmm I'm torn on what to feel since they're one of the few sites that didn't rob Bloodborne...

Also what's wrong with multi plats? Most of us only have one console you know. To me, Black Ops 3 might as well have been an exclusive. Why should I care if it's on other platforms that I don't own.

Fine by me!

Some aren't exclusive. Some are ports. Many are niche. Don't get me wrong. I liked many of them but only a few will be memorable years from now.

Oh look, it's this narrative again

You mean the one that's true imo? Bloodborne was brilliant and it was made by a third party. Sony's first party is nothing more than lackluster, even tho I think it's a great console. My personal problem is that I have a great pc so that just doesn't cut it. I've played Uncharted games. Kill zone games. God of war games. Many mire IPS over generations of playstation and I've loved them. Kill one shadow fall was awful and while I enjoyed infamous it was not as good of a game as the other 2. Sony needs to step up

ReBurn

Gold Member
I was pretty disappointed as there wasn't a single exclusive for PS4 that excited me this year. I'm looking forward to No Man's Sky, SFV and Uncharted 4 in 2016, although I'd hoped to be playing two of them this year. No Man's Sky was revealed so early and took so long for any info to surface that I was actually frustrated whenever there was new coverage.

I've played my PS4 a lot more than my XBO this year thanks to The Witcher and Metal Gear Solid.

However, despite putting a lot of time into God of War, Gears of War, Uncharted and Tomb Raider I've still been left disappointed by the exclusive offerings on both consoles this year.

The PS4 has delivered more overall but you could argue that the XBO has enjoyed the stronger games p.

Next year looks stacked for both consoles though so fingers crossed we are all happy this time in 2016.

GHG

Gold Member
Well id like to know what "promises" and games they are talking about specifically.

Because in terms of my play time this year it went PC > PS4 >>>> XB1 for me.

The PS4 IS being carried a lot by multiplats though. That's the point.

The PS4 is being "carried" by games that people want to play. Xbox One may have had a couple more "boxed, blockbuster, Western exclusives", but they've barely moved the needle commercially - Fallout 4 and Call of Duty is selling Microsoft's machine just as much as Sony's.

And as you rightly point out, Bloodborne is still the highest rated exclusive of the generation. Funny that, isn't it?

Personally, I agree with them. I resent my PS4, which I've had for two years. I'm shockingly glued to my Xbox One, which I've had for a week.

After all the sins during the last generation (coasting on a diet of Gears/Halo/Forza, putting apps behind a paywall, Kinect nonsense) Microsoft had to do a lot to win me back, but they did it somehow. Ori and Sunset are already better than anything I've played on my PS4, Bloodborne included.

Just my opinion. Should be noted that I like my Wii U better than both and play multiplats on PC.

Of course you are going to be glued to something after owning it for only 7 days this is normal. We should ask the same question in a few months and see what you think.

Some aren't exclusive. Some are ports. Many are niche. Don't get me wrong. I liked many of them but only a few will be memorable years from now.

Let's not get there please! Same can be applied to MS "greatest exclusive line" BS! What will happen with Forza 6 when 7 releases (F5 is already in limbo)? What will happen to Halo 5 when 6 releases? Remove ROTR, which is not even a console exclusive and MSs line is even more barebones compared to Sonys!

nib95

Banned

3. Splatoon
6. Her Story

That's actually quite interesting in contrast to the OP.

GHG

Gold Member
Why would you discount the fact that the PS4 is clearly the best console to play multiplatform games on?

It doesn't make sense considering those games make up the majority of the lineups for all platforms.

The PS4 is delivering in that it is all-round the best console to play games on this generation. Much like this was the case for the 360 for much of last gen. What more does it need to deliver on in order to satisfy Eurogamer?

Tigress

Also what's wrong with multi plats? Most of us only have one console you know. To me, Black Ops 3 might as well have been an exclusive. Why should I care if it's on other platforms that I don't own.

This is pretty much my feelings. And the few exclusives I care about are coming next year for ps4. In general though I tend to like the multiplats for whatever reason and most exclusives on both sides don't interest me as much.

and then there's Hideo Kojima, whose announcement of PlayStation exclusivity received exactly the kind of warm reception that failed to materialise for Microsoft's deal with Rise of the Tomb Raider. A sentimental reaction, considering Kojima's history with PlayStation, but perhaps not a fair one.

Uh, what the fuck is the writer talking about? No-one (except the usual internet idiots) complained when Microsoft signed Kamiya's next game. Anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between the Tomb Raider clusterfuck and the Kojima deal.

AerialAir

Banned
2016 is gonna be the year of AAA JRPGs, so, yeah, the best one since there also some good action titles coming out (ex. Doom, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4)....

Septic360

Banned
The PS4 is being "carried" by games that people want to play. Xbox One may have had a couple more "boxed, blockbuster, Western games", but they've barely moved the needle. And as you rightly point out, Bloodborne is still the highest rated exclusive of the generation. Funny that, isn't it?

The PS4 is being carried by multiplats and Bloodborne. Yes Bloodborne is the highest rated exclusive and a great one at that but it is just one title. Since launch, Bloodborne is the only big name title that really is worth shouting about on the PS4.

Others are all forgettable experiences including Infamous;SS, The order, Driveclub, LBP3 etc.

'Barely moving the needle in terms of sales isn't a good metric when Eurogamer are talking about quality. You use the metric interchangeably.

Bloodborne. That's it. That's the only big AAA title I see worthy of mention. In that regard, Eurogamer are spot on imo.

I personally think both consoles are a waste of money if you own the other. Having received my ps4 first, my xbox one simply sits under my tv unplugged. Then again, halo was a disappointment (sadly) and the main reason for my purchase. Other than Scalebound, I have little to look forward to (sunset was alright, but I could have gone without it).

If I had gotten the one first, the situation may very well be reversed as I have little interest in bloodborne, though I do find their upcoming list of games very enticing as I've become drawn to Japanese stuff after getting my 3ds. Lots of good stuff on the horizon thankfully.

The Xbox one isn't a bad console, but I could go without almost every exclusive and play much of what isn't available on the PC. Same can be said for many of the PS4 games as well which goes back to my first statement. I personally think comparing both games, libraries is a waste of time and silly as preferences are going to largely dictate what you may or may not prefer.

spekkeh

Banned

3. Splatoon
6. Her Story

Number one hasn't been revealed yet. IIRC Bloodborne 'only' got a recommended, so Sunless Sea now seems just as possible (or more likely as they often follow Simon Parkins number one).

Also, 'best version' is not a real argument.

Because only mainstream exclusives with high metacritic score and good sales count, duh

Exactly!! Rise of the tomb raider being a good example right?

The Market leader will always get unwarranted hate and people will make any excuse under the sun to put it down. The market has spoken and they want the PS4. As evident from GOTY lists, Sony are doing everything right. 3rd party games run better on the PS4 and their exclusive games are getting better reception than their counterparts.

The usual excuse is "But the PS4 has no 1st party games"

100% wrong but Sony and the general consumer don't give a shit. They are selling more 3rd party games and consoles than Microsoft.

Next year is going to be a bloodbath

Hasney

Why would you discount the fact that the PS4 is clearly the best console to play multiplatform games on?

It doesn't make sense considering those games make up the majority of the lineups for all platforms.

The PS4 is delivering in that it is all-round the best console to play games on this generation. Much like this was the case for the 360 for much of last gen. What more does it need to deliver on in order to satisfy Eurogamer?

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am since I don't like either Sony or MS's output generally, or at least their big franchises.

I bought the PS4 first as it was cheaper and more powerful at launch. Been a great year for me with all this 3rd party love.

Septic360

Banned

The Market leader will always get unwarranted hate and people will make any excuse under the sun to put it down. The market has spoken and they want the PS4. As evident from GOTY lists, Sony are doing everything right. 3rd party games run better on the PS4 and their exclusive games are getting better reception than their counterparts.

100% wrong but Sony and the general consumer don't give a shit. They are selling more 3rd party games than Microsoft

Well if sales are such a strong metric for you I hope you are a Belieber.

Heck, Knack sold more than Super Mario 3D world- its official- Knack is better! So much unwarranted hate!

That's actually quite interesting in contrast to the OP.

I think that list should change and put the majority as pc best version. So we are all in agreement the pc had the best year. I'm only saying this and don't really care. I'm just saying it's silly to make lists like that. If you just had an xbox or a PC your only playing that version and I doubt you can really notice or care, just like the ps3 last gen, that console sold millions and had inferior running games. If people are feeling like the ps4 has not hit it's stride yet then, for those people, it rings true. It's a great console but greatness awaits for many. I hope it really hits it with the first party exclusives this year

Zia

Yup. PS4 is known as my Bloodborne Machine. Truly hope 2016 sees Sony delivering on their now-massive queue of promises.

Heck, Knack sold more than Super Mario 3D world- its official- Knack is better! So much unwarranted hate!

Comparing console sales to games sales to refute his point just silly as it is only natural that a game will sell less when the console has sold less. If anything your example reinforces his overall point, the Wii U was outsold because folks didn't want what it offered. The ps4 tends to be a better option for those that purchased.

nib95

Banned
The PS4 is being carried by multiplats and Bloodborne. Yes Bloodborne is the highest rated exclusive and a great one at that but it is just one title. Since launch, Bloodborne is the only big name title that really is worth shouting about on the PS4.

Others are all forgettable experiences including Infamous;SS, The order, Driveclub, LBP3 etc.

'Barely moving the needle in terms of sales isn't a good metric when Eurogamer are talking about quality. You use the metric interchangeably.

Bloodborne. That's it. That's the only big AAA title I see worthy of mention. In that regard, Eurogamer are spot on imo.

In terms of fanboy list Wars, sure. For many, those games you listed weren't forgettable. Driveclub was my GOTY, head over to the 'all time fave games from this gen' thread and you'll notice several people have voted Driveclub there as well. I also thought InFamous Second Son was great, and that Killzone Shadow Fall's multiplayer was excellent too. More than that there's random games that are sticking with people too, like Rocket League, Until Dawn and Resogun. And those are just exclusives. As touched on, the majority of games being played on these consoles are multiplatform.

I am not talking about me. I will buy every 1st party game that Sony releases.

The only metric Sony and publishers care about is money. They are doing a fantastic job of ensuring the money keeps flowing. PlayStation VR, Kojima exclusive games, PS+, 3rd party exclusive marketing, wonderful brand awareness etc

Microsoft Xbox division care about money too, they are just doing a terrible job at it and will continue to do so until they pull a miraculous next console launch and Sony fuck up

100% wrong but Sony and the general consumer don't give a shit. They are selling more 3rd party games and consoles than Microsoft.

Next year is going to be a bloodbath

Completely agree with you! Love the Nacho Libre avatar guy's comments about games being memorable and not, though! :D

Remember guys, non-AAA games don't count.

If your game is an AAA title, a game that is on the PC as well, a game that's not in English, or a game I don't like personally, it doesn't count!

I mean, it goes without saying that you'll see some overlap if you have a decent PC. But some PS4 players absolutely do not have that choice or don't want to consider it. PC gaming isn't even in direct competition like the small vocal minority think it is - it's now a platform for console companies to produce more games on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom