• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is the first game the Snowdrop engine has ever been used with

And has a completely different design philosophy to Watch dogs

I don't believe the engine is completely built from the ground up. It's just the same from watchdogs but upgraded. Also...what engine will Ghost Recon Wildlands use? Same engine i think.

I don't believe the engine is completely build from the ground up. It's just the same from watchdogs but upgraded. Also...what engine will Ghost Recon Wildlands use? Same engine i think.

Snowdrop appears to be its own thing from everything I have seen. Beyond middleware of course.

Are people so dense they can't wrap around their head this is an RPG? It's essentially Destiny in NYC without aliens, yet I don't see anyone bitching about Dentiny's bullet sponge enemies, damage and health numbers in the UI, etc. Then you all complain about downgrade by watching a 720p compressed youtube video. Yeah sure it's not as good looking as the E3 showing but anyone that played the Alpha knows its not a bad looking game by any stretch.

Crackbone

I don't believe the engine is completely build from the ground up. It's just the same from watchdogs but upgraded. Also...what engine will Ghost Recon Wildlands use? Same engine i think.

This engine is completely built from the ground up by Massive.

Are people so dense they can't wrap around their head this is an RPG? It's essentially Destiny in NYC without aliens, yet I don't see anyone bitching about Dentiny's bullet sponge enemies, damage and health numbers in the UI, etc. Then you all complain about downgrade by watching a 720p compressed youtube video. Yeah sure it's not as good looking as the E3 showing but anyone that played the Alpha knows its not a bad looking game by any stretch.
I can't speak for everyone but personally my problem with the UI isn't the damage and health numbers. In fact I like that it's in, it's just about everything else with the UI.

FeD.nL

I think there must be a middle ground though

What middle ground? I mean showing the hitpoints an enemy has left is just standard stuff for an RPG. This game does not want to be a realistic third person shooter, it's an RPG plain and simple and it comes with a HUD that displays information that nearly any RPG would show. This game is much, much more closer to Xenoblade Chronicles X than it is to the Last of Us and a lot of the criticisms in the thread regarding the gameplay seem to be coming from people that don't understand this is not a Third Person Shooter with rpg elements but an RPG with shooter elements.

Chola

Banned
Bland game from a bland company. Looks like another mindless open world rpg. Ai looks bad, shooting feels weak, at least destiny got both of those things right

0racle

As someone who has played the alpha the negative comments about the game are undeserved.

It is the BEST looking game ive seen on xb1 besides rise and the gameplay was phenomenal.

I had zero interest in the game and played the alpha just because I could. It is a day one purchase and I cant wait for it. That is saying a lot.

zsynqx

What middle ground? I mean showing the hitpoints an enemy has left is just standard stuff for an RPG. This game does not want to be a realistic third person shooter, it's an RPG plain and simple and it comes with a HUD that displays information that nearly any RPG would show. This game is much, much more closer to Xenoblade Chronicles X than it is to the Last of Us and a lot of the criticisms in the thread regarding the gameplay seem to be coming from people that don't understand this is not a Third Person Shooter with rpg elements but an RPG with shooter elements.

Hit points are fine,

Everything looks so busy it ultimately becomes an eyesore. Reminds me of the Black Ops 3 campaign.when you go in robot mode or whatever it was called. Obviously the game needs some UI elements as it has to relay information to players on the fly, but it could definitely achieve this in a less intrusive manner. For example, I don't remember having any issues with Destiny in this regard, which is a game with a similar design philosophy.

Setsuna

I don't believe the engine is completely built from the ground up. It's just the same from watchdogs but upgraded. Also...what engine will Ghost Recon Wildlands use? Same engine i think.

Watch dogs engine is a Frankenstein version of the "Driver series" game engine

Shooting doesn't look good in the video. It's so slow, boring, and tedious imo. And the AI is very bad too. I was expecting some engaging enemies who would try to flank and force players out of their covers to move across the battlefield, but instead the video just showed typically dumb AI.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Um, this is completely false.

It was based on the former Reflections engine (Driver: San Francisco) and refactored with some components from AnvilNext and Dunia Engine, two Ubisoft game engines used in the Assassin's Creed game series and the Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 games respectively.Management of an open world city from the AnvilNext engine, and vegetation and AI mechanics from the Dunia Engine have been implemented in Disrupt.

It was created for WD specifically. Meanwhile at Massive Entertainment

They created it on their own.

“Snowdrop was created in-house, at Massive, in response to a specific requirement: to do things better, not bigger,” Cortes says. “Triple-A game development projects are growing in scope exponentially, so we wanted to be smart and not rely on brute force. We needed an engine that would support how we work in the studio, promote creativity, and allow the freedom to experiment and prototype.”

You guys are killing me with some of these terrible statements that can be so easily disproven...

Bland game from a bland company. Looks like another mindless open world rpg. Ai looks bad, shooting feels weak, at least destiny got both of those things right
How do you know how the shooting feels for a game you haven't played?

As someone who has played the alpha the negative comments about the game are undeserved.

It is the BEST looking game ive seen on xb1 besides rise and the gameplay was phenomenal.

I had zero interest in the game and played the alpha just because I could. It is a day one purchase and I cant wait for it. That is saying a lot.

Get your crap out of here. The posters looking at YT videos have a much better sense of what the game looks and plays like than you ever will.

Getting vanilla Destiny vibes, but worse from this game now. The difference is Bungie bet the farm on Destiny and I knew they'd be working night and day to try and address problems, Ubisoft has other games it can fall back on and let this thing sizzle out. 15 campaign missions is really worrisome, I believe Destiny had something in the low 20s. Add in a single location, some busy work side quests tied to the base building, and no real end game content outside of the Dark Zones and this thing could be over before it even gets started.

I'll play the beta, but I won't be fooled by those impressions. Lots of people loved the Destiny alpha and beta too.

Asriel

Thank you for giving actual insight.

ViciousDS

Banned
Is Alpha NDA lifted? or Is this just press build?

alpha NDA is not lifted......but almost everyone from the alpha posts impressions and to be honest after watching those youtube videos....audio issues, insane compression problems......Yes, they really should just lift the NDA on alpha officially because many players have better footage then these folks do.

Only thing putting me off at this point is the idea that the best gear is found in PvP. If Destiny taught them anything, its that a hell of a lot of people don't want the PvP aspect.

JP

I'm going to have to be honest that since the day this was announced, I've felt it's had "Ubisoft disaster" written all over it and ever time I watch a video it just reinforces my concerns.

I really do hope that I'm wrong and they pull off exactly what they promised, but for me, this project reeks of all the bad things that plagued Watchdogs and Unity.

ViciousDS

Banned
Pooping dogs confirmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe6G77VVxtU

If that doesn't sell you on the game, then I don't know what will :D

The Division subreddit has a bunch of new videos today FYI: www.reddit.com/r/thedivision

they also attack birds for food :)

BlandIllKakarikis.gif

alpha NDA is not lifted......but almost everyone from the alpha posts impressions and to be honest after watching those youtube videos....audio issues, insane compression problems......Yes, they really should just lift the NDA on alpha officially because many players have better footage then these folks do.

Correct. There are a ton of detailed GAF impressions that could be dropped on here that are much more positive on the game. Unfortunately, they are being drowned out by these terrible uploads.

Also, the Destiny Alpha/Beta isn't a fair comparison. People really thought that what we explored on earth was just a small part of the actual earth hub. We were 100% in correct.

Even the Alpha players got to explore a significant portion of NYC. The sheer scale of the game is unreal.

I'm not getting paid by Ubi and I've enjoyed the game a lot and agree with a lot of his sentiments. Does this count for anything?

Well sure as a general sentiment but I'm more worried about specific issues that some other outlets are voicing. The time to kill I'm worried about and Gametrailers said it's still kinda long.

danowat

Banned
Hmmmm interesting, haven't really paid much attention to this game until now, just watched a 30min let's play and it looks....decent.

So it's a 3rd person Destiny without aliens then?, similar sort of mission structure?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
One thing that the videos really can't display is the immersion factor. Environmental audio is spectacular and the game really, really pulls you in. If you are someone who likes Skyrim or something because of that then you are going to love this game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn I was really interested in what they might attempt to do with this game but it looks rather mundane. I'll also note I have no love for Destiny style games, combat, etc. and this looks to be taking a big page out of that book but with even less potential because of the grounded nature of the game. At least Destiny lets you shoot space demons and such.

RoKKeR

I see the HUD is still a cluttered mess. One of my main problems after playing the Alpha.

Still interested in the game.

friday

Everything about this game looks good to me except the bullet sponge aspect. I get it's an RPG, but even compared to Destiny these enemies take so much time to kill.

The Darkzone seems like it will be super fun though.

Dude like what the fuck that looks way better.

Shitty capture software from other locations. People really need to stop using YT videos captured by random people as a benchmark for what a game looks like and completely ignore actual impressions. I have no idea why its still a thing and people shitpost based off of it.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Yeah, the new videos look miles better. And the Darkzone/Extraction concept seems really cool.

Now my only gripes are the overwhelming HUD and the bulletsponge enemies.

I know that it's like an rpg where the enemies can be higher level than you, but i don't think all the videos show under-leveled players against stronger enemies.

Top Bottom