• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ark: Survival Evolved Xbox One Frame-Rate Test

Rflagg

Runs like shit but I play it everyday. Nothing out there does what Ark does.

Even knowing how badly it runs on the xbox one I would likely buy it right now if offered the chance on ps4. Open world survival with dinos is an amazing concept.

Akronis

so are you suggesting all early access game be held to this criticism and standard?

100% yes. If you're selling a broken/unfinished game, prepare for people to shit on it.

Early Access is a dumb concept. It's constantly abused now. There are some really solid titles that come out of Early Access (Nuclear Throne is an awesome game), but there are about 1000+ shitty survival multiplayer games to every good Early Access game.

I bought this day 1 on PC. I played it for a week and enjoyed it. However I decided to shelve it and wait for some performance upgrades. I think I've seen close to 60 updates to the game since then, some small some large and not a damned one has been to improve performance. It's really starting to annoy me.

100% yes. If you're selling a broken/unfinished game, prepare for people to shit on it.

Early Access is a dumb concept. It's constantly abused now. There are some really solid titles that come out of Early Access (Nuclear Throne is an awesome game), but there are about 1000+ shitty survival multiplayer games to every good Early Access game.

firstly, its not broken. the game works. its just not optimized visually.

secondly, ive played a ton of survival games in early access and Ark is probably the most engaging/fun out of all of them even if it doesnt run as well as some of them. (long dark for instance runs flawlessly but ive spent probably 40hrs with that game compared to about 900 with ark). Ark is as popular as it is because its not only unique, but its fun.

and I disagree that its a dumb concept. Ive had alot of fun playing these games because of the concept. and if that concept didnt exist then I wouldnt have had as much fun with these games

jesu

As long as they let you try before you buy I don't see what the big deal is.

(I have a PC with a tripple Titan X setup and it still runs bad on that in 4K but I play on Xbox One)

Runs bad in 4K ... yeah, so let's play in 640p 20fps instead.

I guess you're playing on that platform because of your friends which is totally reasonable, but that sentence is just beyond salvation.

Woo-Fu

Banned
That is pretty rough. It is pre-release though, and doesn't this game run pretty bad on good PCs anyway?

That really isn't an excuse, at least for the developer or the game. But yes, considering how unoptimized the PC version is I wouldn't expect this game to run well on any console unless they hired on a lot more staff.

Not at all, they are showing when it runs like shit, which it does but not all the time. I've been having a blast playing, resolution is too low tho.

Check out the clips in that link.

In the first 3 videos I see the exact same performance concerns that the DF video showcases. An ungodly level of tearing as well.

Chobel

But but but... optimization and fixed hardware.

secondly, ive played a ton of survival games in early access and Ark is probably the most engaging/fun out of all of them even if it doesnt run as well as some of them. (long dark for instance runs flawlessly but ive spent probably 40hrs with that game compared to about 900 with ark). Ark is as popular as it is because its not only unique, but its fun.

and I disagree that its a dumb concept. Ive had alot of fun playing these games because of the concept. and if that concept didnt exist then I wouldnt have had as much fun with these games

How the hell is that even possible? The game is one month old.

Akronis

secondly, ive played a ton of survival games in early access and Ark is probably the most engaging/fun than all of them even if it doesnt run as well as some of them. (long dark for instance runs flawlessly but ive spent probably 40hrs with that game compared to about 900 with ark). Ark is as popular as it is because its not only unique, but its fun.

I've spent about 50 hours in ARK and it has tons of problems beyond performance. The promised dinosaur AI improvements have not been released and I'm still a bit miffed that they held a tournament with a monetary prize before the game is even released.

They just keep adding a bunch of fluff.

How the hell is that even possible? The game is one month old.

It's been out on PC for quite some time.

I've spent about 50 hours in ARK and it has tons of problems beyond performance. The promised dinosaur AI improvements have not been released and I'm still a bit miffed that they held a tournament with a monetary prize before the game is even released.

They just keep adding a bunch of fluff.

ok. you said a ton of stuff, but then mentioned 1 thing, ai improvement which is different from broken. the current ai works.

you say they keep adding a bunch of fluff but thats your opinion, others like myself find stuff they are adding as significant.

50 hours? so? i got 900ish, your point?

When I built my first PC this past Summer (with a 960) I was excited to finally start playing PC games, and this was one of the first I bought. When I started it up and tried playing... I thought I fucked up bad. All those PC people on the internet have lied to me!

Gowans

I guess you're playing on that platform because of your friends which is totally reasonable, but that sentence is just beyond salvation.
You;re right on both counts. You need backup on this game so bad, it's been elating and heart breaking.

In the first 3 videos I see the exact same performance concerns that the DF video showcases. An ungodly level of tearing as well.

Yeah, i think after a while you get so invested you don't see it, one thing that you do see if lag when it kicks in on the server to how you and every creature moves in the world or if you drop a item the package just jitters along the ground.

Akronis

ok. you said a ton of stuff, but then mentioned 1 thing, ai improvement which is different from broken. the current ai works.

you say they keep adding a bunch of fluff but thats your opinion, others like myself find stuff they are adding as significant.

50 hours? so?

Dude, it's fine that you like the game but you can't ignore the amount of issues there are.

Also, I said 50 hours since you seemed so keen on sharing that you had 900 hours as if it meant something.

Dude, it's fine that you like the game but you can't ignore the amount of issues there are.

Also, I said 50 hours since you seemed so keen on sharing that you had 900 hours as if it meant something.

the hours was pointed out to show the difference in engaging with a very polished early access game (long dark) and one thats unpolished (ark) and showing that its about the gameplay and fun of the game, not stability. did you not understand that?

there are a ton of issues in all early access games, but the game is more than playable and fun. and its alot more forgiving than other early access games where when major updates happened everything would be wiped where in this thankfully after around the jurassic park movie, nothing has needed a wipe.

Ombala

We need some quality control making ppl pay for this mess is not good for the "first class citizens" image of XB1.

also if you think early access is dumb, whyd you spend money on a early access game and then commit 50 hours of your life to it? its like you basically said you are dumb

lastly, alot of people are overjoyed if they can get 30 hours out of a game. you got 50

Akronis

the hours was pointed out to show the difference in engaging with a very polished early access game (long dark) and one thats unpolished (ark) and showing that its about the gameplay and fun of the game, not stability. did you not understand that?

there are a ton of issues in all early access games, but the game is more than playable and fun. and its alot more forgiving than other early access games where when major updates happened everything would be wiped where in this thankfully after around the jurassic park movie, nothing has needed a wipe.

It's great that you're having fun. Personally, I haven't noticed any significant changes to the gameplay to warrant me re-installing yet. The disappointing performance and balance issues are two other big reasons I haven't re-installed.

It's better to make a big deal out of bugs so they get fixed. I don't think releasing this on another console before it was polished on PC was a great idea either. I don't know how big their dev team is, but now they have to maintain it on two platforms.

also if you think early access is dumb, whyd you spend money on a early access game and then commit 50 hours of your life to it? its like you basically said you are dumb

I bought it because friends wanted me to play with them and maintain a dedicated server for them.

The ad hominem attacks are duly noted as well.

It's great that you're having fun. Personally, I haven't noticed any significant changes to the gameplay to warrant me re-installing yet. The disappointing performance and balance issues are two other big reasons I haven't re-installed.

It's better to make a big deal out of bugs so they get fixed. I don't think releasing this on another console before it was polished on PC was a great idea either. I don't know how big their dev team is, but now they have to maintain it on two platforms.

thats nice you dont like it. but you spent 50 hours on it, so you DID like it. you got more than 10 hours (what we expect from most games these days) of enjoyment. stop whining

sear

Banned
At first I saw 28ish fps and was like "hey this isn't so bad"... but then it started getting into the low 20s, and then the 10s... yeah.

I mean, maybe they're just eating tons of resources in doing all that wildlife simulation, I don't know. Maybe their engine is just not that performant. But that's not a good user experience one way or the other.

M.D

Same, I'm playing it on Xbox and loving it (and hating it at the same time) with some mates. Its not pretty but its just been brilliant.

(I have a PC with a tripple Titan X setup and it still runs bad on that in 4K but I play on Xbox One)
Congartz on winning the Powerball!

Akronis

thats nice you dont like it. but you spent 50 hours on it, so you DID like it. you got more than 10 hours (what we expect from most games these days) of enjoyment. stop whining

No need to get salty, I'm just sharing my opinion like everyone else here.

At first I saw 28ish fps and was like "hey this isn't so bad"... but then it started getting into the low 20s, and then the 10s... yeah.

I mean, maybe they're just eating tons of resources in doing all that wildlife simulation, I don't know. Maybe their engine is just not that performant. But that's not a good user experience one way or the other.

The engine is UE4 so it shouldn't be an engine issue. Just needs more development time.

That's actually unplayable.
Holy hell.

Being Early Access isn't an excuse for that, the game should run acceptably if it's in any stage of release and looking at the two platforms it's released on, it doesn't. I wouldn't spend a dime on that until performance is up to snuff.

Gestault

Am I right that this is a scenario where you can play an hour or so of the game for completely free, and there's then the option to buy early access at a discount even though the game is in alpha? It's hard for me to raise my ire given those circumstances. This is complete buyer/developer transparency.

Those performance quirks would annoy me, but it sounds like people are having fun, and that's why it's gotten popular.

Akronis

oh im not salty at all. its just your opinions and comments contradict your actions

i can barely spend 2 hours with a broken game that i think is dumb, no less 50

Opinions can change. Maybe I enjoyed early access games before I played ARK. Then I realized that every survival EA game pretty much turns out the same.

You just seem to be focused on making me look like some kind of moron, so I think I'll stop responding at this point though.

Don't worry he already let me know that we shouldn't take things so seriously.

lol

Opinions and comments can change. Maybe I enjoyed early access games before I played ARK. Then I realized that every survival EA game pretty much turns out the same.

You just seem to be focused on making me look like some kind of moron, so I think I'll stop responding at this point though.

it takes you 50 hours in a game to realize that though? just doesnt make sense

Don't worry he already let me know that we shouldn't take things so seriously.

you took what i said in a literal sense and ignored my keyword "seem"

also, you do know that seriously and literally are two different things right? lol

but hey! whatever you gotta do to team up to feel like you win something! there is no prize btw

Kysen

Continuing theme with these survival games, release broken and in perpetual beta. Jank everywhere, gameplay on the level of early HL mods.

Also see dayz, rust, h1hz

jesu

That's actually unplayable.
Holy hell.

Being Early Access isn't an excuse for that, the game should run acceptably if it's in any stage of release and looking at the two platforms it's released on, it doesn't. I wouldn't spend a dime on that until performance is up to snuff.

An actually unplayable game is actually the 8th most played game on the Xbox One at the moment.

Akronis

it takes you 50 hours in a game to realize that though? just doesnt make sense

also, you do know there seriously and literally are two different things right? lol

but hey! whatever you gotta do to team up to feel like you win something! there is no prize btw

Man, you're the only one taking things so personally here.

Mahonay

Banned

also, you do know that seriously and literally are two different things right? lol

qe6bF.jpg

Akronis

i take it personal when people lie to me, you just lied to me. it hurts.

but seriously tho, if thats your perception, i cant control it.

If that's what you think, that's fine. I don't remember lying to anyone here because it literally wouldn't benefit me in any way.

If that's what you think, that's fine. I don't remember lying to anyone here because it literally wouldn't benefit me in any way.

you said you wouldnt respond to me anymore thus why i said you just lied to me. and it was me joking with you thus why i said "but seriously tho"

whos taking it personally now?

studyguy

Yo when I first heard ARK was rolling on consoles it was ages ago at beta. The fact that it's still going when it's still gets pretty sketchy FPS even on PC is weird but w/e

leeh

Alot. I know a lot of casual players who've picked up the game and are on it every day.

Looks absolutely terrible technically from my perspective.
Think the exact same. This is the main game for all my mates atm. I can't bring myself to play an hour in it.

Top Bottom