• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192762933&postcount=1040

He also debunked the other thread about NX games playing on PS4.

I made a more substantive post here:

Reading the Twitter posts of "Emily Rogers" who apparently knows what that survey contained, it does seem like they're speculating hypothetical NX features and asking survey participants what their reaction would be if the console had those features.

VOCtiE0.png

Nintendo gets European sales data from GfK to monitor the health of the retail video game industry but their relationship with GfK Group is largely tangential outside of it.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that the NX is already a finished console design-wise that's launching this year. There is no need for Nintendo to conduct any market research, and even if they did, they would handle it in-house.

Logically it fundamentally doesn't make any sense that this survey would contain anything beyond speculation.

So it surprises me how many people here are reacting as if it's a foregone conclusion or even a possibility.

So basically this thread is about a slide of a survey based on no factual information taken out of context to create a reaction within the gaming community that goes through a tireless cycle of folks saying "OMG 900p/60fps is doom! Fuck Nintendo" which is then followed up with clarification that the GFK info isn't real, but most ignore that and continue to complain about fake specs.

Awesome.

It's almost like the core gaming community lives to realize their internal and pre-existing biases relating to certain firms and projects. In this way the tiniest sliver of indication towards that existing bias confirms it squarely in their mind.

We should call it "900p-gate". Cause that's what we do now whenever this happens, right? Just add 'gate' to the end, thus making it a relevant and actual thing that should be analyzed and allowed.

I just want to have a thread with true NX speculation based on factual information . . .

Mory Dunz

Its not just on GAF though, not with the way information works today. I'm already seeing stuff like "Nintendo going 3rd party?" Click bate articles popping on on Facebook.

The messaging behind whatever NX is vastly important. It's a big part of what killed the Wii U. And what I mean by "already" is they first told us about NX existing quite a while ago at this point. Its not the end of the world or anything but leaks / rumors are going to keep spreading at a decently alarming rate the closer we get to this thing. I'm just saying they need to do at least a proof of concept prior to E3

Well yeah, that's why I'm saying we'll wait and see. If the message is unclear at reveal, then that's on them. Or if they wait until E3. I, too, would prefer it a little earlier than that . And then use E3 for the big game trailers with less time devoted to basics of the system.

But again, GAF is pretty educated when it comes to this. And we've had too inside sources pretty much debunk both threads. yet this thread is still steaming ahead. People can run with things if they really want.

Reallink

Is Wii U less powerful than PS360? I thought it was at least as powerful, at least in some ways?

The CPU is weaker and the GPU would lose in gflop benches, but its a much improved architecture and feature set. Obviously it has a lot more memory as well.

maxcriden

I made a more substantive post here:

Logically it fundamentally doesn't make any sense that this survey would contain anything beyond speculation.

So it surprises me how many people here are reacting as if it's a foregone conclusion or even a possibility.

I appreciate it, thank you. It is befuddling how many comment without reading the thread. I did PM a mod to ask them to close both threads as unfounded and just a source for confusion or FUD.

Oersted

I missed the debunk. Can you link it or point me to a page?

Reading the OP tells you enough tbh

by "you", I meant the people in the thread. A general "you"

After seeing many threads going to shit, I learned:

1. Many don't read

2. Many don't unterstand what they read

3. Little things get picked up, blown up and derail a entire thread.

As as thread creator, you have to prevent 1 and 2, otherwise 3 happens.

But enough of that^^

Koh

I personally believe Nintendo subjected themselves to this by talking about NX a year ago giving tiny hints and then dropping the discussion.

They told us it's real and gave it a name. That's the perfect climate for rumors, "leaks" and predictions. If they provided a steady stream of details (such that people would expect articles sourced by Nintendo) or talked about it later on (less time for speculation), they could have reduced much of the FUD.

jmizzal

So that 900p/60fps thing makes this bullshit right? You can't have a system where all games automatically run at a certain resolution and framerate. The Wii U has 1080p games.

The survey is prob real but this is not direct info from Nintendo

Nintendo has NDA's on the NDA's lol why would they release this info to a Market research survey company to spread and leak real info?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I could see 900p working due to the vast majority of consumers not caring, but it wouldn't do much to draw in core gamers.

The only reason I could see is to make gameplay between console and handheld smooth.

BREAKING NOOOSE: Some NX Console games may run at 900p, depending on the wants and needs of developers on any given piece of software.

You heard it here first kids.

There is a reason why games don't run at 480p anymore. There is a point that consoles are powerful enough that lower resolutions don't make sense. Running games at 900p means the hardware is weaker than it should be.

DNAbro

Looks like the rest of the survey is just dealing purely with hypotheticals ("this may happen" "would you be interested if") and surveying what people feel about them as concepts.

So this really was just nothing all along.

people are just trying to get any possible news.

AdanVC

The only thing I want of this survey to be true is that the console ends up being called Nintendo NX. Sounds really cool.

Just expect SF0 to be delayed till the end of May or so. I suspect It'll be the swan song for Wii U exclusive games, with Pikmin 4 and Zelda U being cross-platform at the end of the year. Just my speculation there. There's a reason TPHD and Pokkén are coming out in March and not May despite being the biggest H1 games for Nintendo. SF0 is all-but guaranteed to not be a big seller so...it's not as important whether or not it gets that usually prime May spot. Because, I believe focus will be on NX.

Oh my I forgot about those delay rumors of SF0 again... Looks like this game will not launch until Miyamoto has it's -gimmicky as possible gameplay- itch pleased. :(

people are just trying to get any possible news.

And some people are just desperate to look like they have inside information.

(Not referring to Tamaki but whomever his "source" is.)

Is there a way to get the OP and/or title updated to accommodate all the new info? (Mulcair posts, Rogers tweets, etc)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, research without any "real" info whatsoever. Who do we have to thank for lots of pages on nothing, in the end (aside from us ourselves, of course).

If they end up doing a combined console/handheld play, using a 900p resolution for both seems like a thing that could potentially happen (probably really wishful thinking that NX Handheld would be that high-res, but let me dream, yo).

Red Hood

Banned
Eh, I don't believe the 900p. I mean, Nintendo isn't new to 1080p right? I remember Wind Waker HD being 1080/30 so why a lesser resolution for their newer system? Unless they specifically meant for 60fps. But even then

There is a reason why games don't run at 480p anymore. There is a point that consoles are powerful enough that lower resolutions don't make sense. Running games at 900p means the hardware is weaker than it should be.

Or that frame rate, effects, or anything really could take precedence over resolution. Ideally everything would be 1080p/60fps, but home consoles don't really work that way. If those two aspects are the only things that matter, it would behoove you to build a nice gaming PC.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry not aware of the joke your referencing, I was just looking at the language in the information that was posted.

Of course the large caveat here is whether we believe any or all of this is true.

I can indeed believe the price being anywhere from $199 to $549 ;).

The images from the rest of the survey prove that it's just speculating hypothetical features for the Nintendo NX (so no, they don't have any insider information):

HYdGUMl.png

GUbAqHH.jpg

d1G6vZp.jpg

QW7FoiG.jpg

ySkx1s4.jpg

GSkyHhU.jpg

Qc7HXah.jpg

WqsFsln.jpg

Sglm3sr.jpg

6DAV8Bl.jpg

UV2Ho2P.jpg

UaEn1HV.jpg