• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcincz

1. SteinsGate ; My GOTY of 2015. Beautiful, wonderful, sometimes moving, other time funny game or rather VN. Excellent heroes, story, music, sound. I loved every minutes spent in this title (over 75 hours)
2. The Order: 1886 ; yes! For many people this is bland game, but I love it. I am not a multi/co-op guy, who need competition with other gamers. I like story, I like TPP and love setting in this title. Don't understand all this hate around this game. Solid, very solid game and this incredible, amazing graphics. I hope for the sequel, but Sony, too?
3. Bloodborne ; I appreciated this game, a few months after beating it. It was my first contact with "Souls" game, but it was much easier, than I expected. Gameplay and setting are great. Boss fights pumping so much adrenalin, rage and satisfaction in every gamer.
4. Soldner X-2: Final Prototype ; that was a big surprise for me. Firstly, because I've won it on neogaf lottery. Secondly, because it is a very good game.
5. Until Dawn ; next big and unexpected surprise. I hope David Cage has played in UD, too.
6. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; it was my first contact with Wolf. I've never played in any of this games before. Nice graphics, interesting opponents, setting and funny hero. However too much stealth scenes.
7. Metal Gear Solid V ; my next big or rather huge surprise, but negative. Unfortunately it isn't my GOTY. For me it's the worst MGS in history and the biggest disappoint of 2015. Sorry Hideo, but not each game should be open-world. Boring, repetetive missions. The best mission? Prologue and last. And music. Damn. The best soundtrack of the year.
8. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ; the ending was completely broken (we must complete each case to watch credits? Really Chmielarz?). That's a shame because it will be higher in my rating. Graphics masterpiece, nice story, fantastic setting, pleasant music - PS4 edition, so 2015 release date.

2. The Order: 1886; yes! For many people this is bland game, but I love it. I am not a multi/co-op guy, who need competition with other gamers. I like story, I like TPP and love setting in this title. Don't understand all this hate around this game. Solid, very solid game and this incredible, amazing graphics. I hope for the sequel, but Sony, too?

The bolded part nails why I am not filled with bubbling vitriol for the game as others. My own reservations with the game comes down to the length of the story and the linear nature of the level design. If they fixed those two, I would have put it into my top ten. The game (and others) having no multiplayer or coop portions is well appreciated by me.

SomTervo

1. Nuclear Throne; This game was my Spelunky of the last 2 years. The fast paced action, the procedural generation of the levels, the different abilities of the different characters, the different weapons and the way they change the way to play, the relentless, nail baiting scream curses to the sky difficulty are just all spot on in this game. I’ve been playing it since 2014 in Early Access and have between the Steam version and Vita version almost 300 hours of play. Whenever I have 15-20 minutes to waste I just take my Vita and go for a quick run. No pressure to get to the Throne, just want to run havoc and have a blast. Playing. Pure playing.

2. Agar.io; Agar.io is love, agar.io is life.

Awesome leftfield list!

1. Steins;Gate; My GOTY of 2015. Beautiful, wonderful, sometimes moving, other time funny game or rather VN. Excellent heroes, story, music, sound. I loved every minutes spent in this title (over 75 hours)

Good list - think you need a space before the semicolons, though, and I think Steins;Gate has to be Steins instead, because the parser will cut the message off at the semicolon.

Edit: also a couple of your names are wrong and might be discounted. Check the OP's spreadsheet and copy from there..

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; One of the main reasons I miss my Wii U at the moment. Amazing game and fun to play. I will need a lot of hours to get this done
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; This is special because I'm not only playing it but also my small cousin of 7 years old. He has been exposed to HD and prettier games but he and I loves this Zelda game because the time system is so special and has never been replicated to my taste
3. Fast Racing Neo ; The lack of a FZero in the last 2 Nintendo Consoles hurts my heart but FRN is a great game and so much fun
4. The Talos Principle ; Witty and really fun to play with the help of some friends. Definitely recommended if you liked Portal or games alike
5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; It should be higher but I haven't been able to keep playing it as much as I wanted. The story is pretty solid but you feel the world alive. Maybe the numbers of hours to spend in this game made me be careful on how much time I could allocate.
6. Splatoon ; One of the games that got me hooked to play online and it's so fresh that makes me happy to enjoy this with my friends around the world. Colorful and fun is the best way to describe it

Corto

Awesome leftfield list!

Thanks! I hope it inspires others to try them both hehe And I'm slowwwwwwwly catching up with my honorable mentions games. The Wii U is getting lots of love lately, but me and my son tend to gravitate to Mario Kart and Pikmin. Awesome games.

MisterR

1. Until Dawn ; This was like the best Quantic Dream game ever made. Loved the story, the characters and the interaction. Can't wait to see what Supermassive comes up with next.
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 20016 ; The best soccer game I've ever played. While I wish they could keep the rosters updated, the game play is amazing.
3. NBA 2K16 ; Provides a great game of basketball and tons of content.
4. Splatoon ; Great fun. Looks nice, controls are tight and just a joy to play.
5. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; Big improvement on Unity. Performs well and a step back in the right direction for one of my favorite game series.
6. Her Story ; This was an interesting and fresh experience. I really enjoyed it. I think it's a game where you get out what you put into it.
7. Life is Strange ; Telltale games needs to watch and learn from Life is Strange.
8. Dragon Quest Heroes ; This was a grind at times, but I love the Dragon Quest series so much that it's worth it.
9. Tearaway Unfolded ; A great game on the Vita and all the added stuff made it a great experience on the PS4 as well.
10. Fallout 4 ; Tons of flaws and it doesn't live up to New Vegas for me. I hate the dumbing down of the RPG elements. However, it's still fun as hell to explore and the gun play is much improved.

0. Posting Simulator 2016 ; What to say? the most realistic sim to date. AI can be annoying at times, but barely interfering with the fun factor.

1. Star Wars Battlefront ; Universally hated because it has "no content", which is more than enough content to keep me immersed in a galaxy far, far away.

2. Life is Strange ; Life is Strange. Never thought I could enjoy a game like this, but in the end I'm glad I tried it.

3. Until Dawn

4. Rocket League

5. Mad Max

6. F1 2016 ; Only listed as it really surprised me. Not a great game per-say, but not the usual Codemasters bullshit either

Honorable Mentions:

x. The Witcher 3 ; Not into RPGs, but what I've seen looked pretty solid
x. The Order: 1886 ; too short & too linear to be included in a GOTY list. Decent game though.
x. Project CARS ; Sim Racing. 'nuff said
x. FIFA 16 ; Spend more hours than usual with the new iteration
x. Madden 16 ; same as FIFA

Megatron

are you higher than usual

last year's #1 had a comfortable lead over #2 and lower. add 100 pages of votes and it's still be GAF's best of 2014

Devil's advocate here, there are fewer wiiu owners than pc or ps4 owners on gaf, so in theory the more people responding the more non wii owners will respond. Problem is there wasnt a strong goty contender last year which is probably a big reason we had fewer voters. Would people really have been happy with Shadows of Mordor or Dragon Age winning?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Devil's advocate here, there are fewer wiiu owners than pc or ps4 owners on gaf, so in theory the more people responding the more non wii owners will respond. Problem is there wasnt a strong goty contender last year which is probably a big reason we had fewer voters. Would people really have been happy with Shadows of Mordor or Dragon Age winning?
There are some that say if GAF isn't giving it to the media GOTY we're wrong, so I hope they would be happy otherwise they would be hypocrites.

ohlawd

don't worry about it

honestly tho I read that kinda thing in the first few pages of the awards thread last year like "shiiiiit, Nintendo fans sure were passionate this year."

I don't really think much of it except Nintendo had a great lineup last year and the GAF community responded in kind. it just baffles me people can't accept that Nintendo did have a great year.

Bayo2 is my GOTG...but if it came out in 2015 it would probably lose to Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, who will likely have close to 2,000 points compared to Bayo 2's 1,100. PS4 is more popular here, so any really well-received AAA games are gonna rack up points. Last year was what...Dragon Age? Shadow of Mordor? Not a lot of passion on GAF for that in comparison to FROM and CDPR's work, so really well-received Nintendo game's take advantage of the vacuum.

That's not even a judgement call, just stating how it is. Its a popularity contest, and the most popular systems didn't have a game as popular as Nintendo's in '14. Like if UC4 is as good as I think its gonna be, I don't see a situation where 3D Mario or Zelda win, no matter how good they turn out to be.

popo

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; my favourite game of 2015. 100+ hours and not even the average combat put me off. Pretty much it.

Bayo2 is my GOTG...but if it came out in 2015 it would probably lose to Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, who will likely have close to 2,000 points compared to Bayo 2's 1,100. PS4 is more popular here, so any really well-received AAA games are gonna rack up points. Last year was what...Dragon Age? Shadow of Mordor? Not a lot of passion on GAF for that in comparison to FROM and CDPR's work, so really well-received Nintendo game's take advantage of the vacuum.

That's not even a judgement call, just stating how it is. Its a popularity contest, and the most popular systems didn't have a game as popular as Nintendo's in '14. Like if UC4 is as good as I think its gonna be, I don't see a situation where 3D Mario or Zelda win, no matter how good they turn out to be.

Honestly once the NX is announced to be a fitbit with a Kindle glued to it that can only be synced and charged when hooked up to a console that's still weaker than PS4/XB1, I expect Nintendo fans to become incapable of rational thought until around June 2017 and none of them will be capable of voting in next years thread

Just a recommendation to the people that has Yoshi's in their lists. Do a spell check because i think one or two entries were written with just one "L".

The other popular games i' ve seen seem fine (Withcher, Blood, Fallout, et all)

Well there's Boxboy! which is written sans the exclamation point. And i don't know if it is a problem or not.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
9L5Qqaf.jpg

1) The Pinball Arcade: The Addams Family ; best pinball sim ever gets the best pinball table ever: it's a match made in heaven!
This year has seen the first time that a pinball sim had a digital recreation of the table, it's part of The Pinball Arcade Season 4, so a dlc table. They had a kickstarter for the table because the license was so expensive and so tricky to get (especially with the Raul Julia Estate being super protective of the actor's likeness) that without raising money on KS, Farsight would've had been forced to price the DLC waaay to high for release to be feasible (it's $5 now, bit more for the Pro version). As with every table on the TPA "platform" (now 60+ !), TAF too is licensed from the real table and even uses emulation on the original rom for the game's mechanics/rules/DMD display/audio samples: it's as close as it gets to the real thing; of course the audio, gfx, the new lighting engine (exclusive to PS4/X1 and the DX11 executable of the Steam release) really help in kicking in your nostalgia full steam, but it's the superb physics engine to make the game and thus tables as great as it is and the best ever in the genre by far.
The Addams Family is the best selling pinball machine of all time, it's been ranked the best pinball machine of all time for years on pinside.com out of thousands of machines and still hovers between the top spot and #5 in the weekly ranks with thousands of votes: no, this time you can take off the rose tinted glasses, because the table is just that good!

7v27asU.jpg

2) Mushihimesama ; Cave games finally come to PC as legit releases thanks to Degica. This is a dream come true for me, and they've started with what might be my favorite shmup ever or at least right there at the top with the best of the best! All my support to Degica for the effort they've putted in actuallly listen to fans and properly support and fix the game. The should be commended and I can't wait to buy all of Cave's catalogue again on Steam and, hopefully, soon GOG/HB for delicious DRM-free releases.

F4qD3wk.jpg

3) Broken Age ; So happy to have finally played the full release with ACT2 coming free of charge on iOS and the iPad's touchscreen was imo a perfect match for it, much more than the PS4 and a gamepad. I loved the game, the story, the art, the cast and the dubbing: top notch!

FLvoM08.jpg

4) Batman Arkham Knight ; yes it's deeply flawed, having skipped Origins and left City midway into the game, probably helped me in seeing past most issues and the fact the core of the game is really similar to the series' past games and that a good portion of the new additions aren't that good. It's one of the few games I've beat 100% in the last four of five years, so I've clearly enjoyed it because I put down games fast and never feel any obligation to beat games I'm not having fun with, my huuuge backlog spanning 20 years and countless platforms is my witness... well make that 95% beat, fuck doing all 243 of Enigma's trophies to get the true ending, sitting at 150+ and currently have no intention of getting back to it ;) 🃏

fjMvleS.jpg

5) Splatoon ; it just made it painfully clear to me that I enjoy way more objective based shooters, with a higher than average time-to-kill while still finding a good balance without going all the way bullet-sponges, and smallish PVP count (none of that 64 vs 64 nonsense). Splatoon is a joy to play, with a great use of the gamepad without making it intrusive and it's a treat to look at with its fantastic art direction. It's really a game for everybody and a title where, for once, the "easy to get into and hard to master" ain't just a marketing line you've heard way too many times but instead something which actually describes the game's appeal pretty well. A great if short sp campaign was the cherry on top and I can't wait to see what a refined sequel brings to the table, bring on Spla2oon!
jamestownlogo.png

6) Jamestown+ ; This is an indie 2D STG. Wait. This gem, polished gem, easily rivals what the gods of the genre usually put out for $60 and it does while costing a fraction of said price: it looks as good as a Cave game which is no easy feat in itself, with glorious pixel art, but it also plays like a dream and even offers neat extras like the challenge mode or the fact that you can couch-multi with up to three other players if that's your jam. Between this game and Crimzon Clover I'm astounded at what the fans can still put out if Cave (please God no!) were to fold. Such high level of crafting, truly mastered the art of making great shmups! The + suffix added so much, a bit if a shame it's PS4 exclusive and PC players have been stuck on vanilla JT, because this is feels like the perfect, whole package. and if you were delighted at the X360 past-gen shmups offerings then you've got to support this titles because it's something that can't be missing in any respectable 2D STGs collection.

7) Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the first sin ; DS1 PTE was my game if the gen together with Mario Galaxy. The only reason this is not higher on my list is because I've just started playing it and I also already seen a couple of decisions which I didn't care that much for, but I can say that at the very least it's going to be an amazing ride.

8) DiRT Rally ; The very first (competent) rally game in more than a decade. First Early Access, now finally a full release on Steam an coming soon to consoles, I can only applaud Codemasters for finally figuring out how to take a stab at the genre again with a release that made sense without risking to lose people's job in case the game failed. Instead it succeded, and you know why? Because they've taken smart decisions and, equally importantly, build their first truly great game in years.

9) Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 ; I really hope Konami keeps this up because this was the best football game in 9 freakin' years! The king is back, hopefully he's here to stay and doesn't give away his kingdom for a couple of pachinko slots and a gym membership card...

10) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; it's Majora's Mask. Only better.
3d_glasses.png
...and in 3D!

~~~~~~~

Honorable Mentions:

x) The Witcher 3 ; I'm too early into the game to put it in my main list!
x) Tearaway Unfolded ;
x) Lara Croft GO ; I loved, loved, loved this and it pains me to not put it in my ballot!
x) Downwell ; Another great game/time-killer which previously was in my ballot but unfortunately had to go. Great stuff.
x) Legend of Grimrock ; the iPad release made a great game even better.
x) Horizon Chase ; if you're waiting for the '90s Arcade Racer then grab this in the meantime!

Best of 2014 aka best LTTP:

6n0AAC2.jpg

x) Forza Horizon 2 ; The first racing game I could not only enjoy but LOVE despite having my 3 big no-no: it's open-world, it's 30fps, I had to play it with a controller instead than with a wheel. Trust me, that's no easy feat and my god this game and the Storm Island dlc... amazing stuff.

Have yet to play aka "These could have made my list if only":
Unfortunately I own but still haven't played Undertale; MGS V; Dying Light; Kirby Wii U; many others and haven't got yet games like Bloodborne, GTA V, Divinity and others which would have definitely made the main list... oh well.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
1. Life is Strange ; My game of the year. Heartfilling story, lovable characters, many emotions. Really sad that I started to play this months after the season was finished, hate that I missed the discussions.
2. Until Dawn ; Great game. Loved every moment. I am a big fan of B-Movie Slashers, so it felt like coming home, even when the dialouges were horrible at some points.
3. The Order 1866 ; I see the issues with this game. Its short, sometimes the cinematic sequences are to long and the Lycaner Sequences are no fun, but beside of that its a hell of a ride. Great characters, a interesting setting and wonderful world make me really hope for The Order 1867
4. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; Machine Games has managed to creat the best Ego-Shooter gameplay of the current gen. I hope Doom will be as good as those two.
5. Star Wars Battlefront ; Even while I am not the biggest Multiplayer Guy, this game captured wonderful the feel of the classic trilogy. Really, really great.
6. Hotline Miami 2 ; Not as good as the first one because the mask are gone, but still great gameplay. I can play it for hours.
7. Lifeline ; Fun game. Good story, even when the writing was anoying at some points

Overall a bad year with many big disappointments (MGS V, Arkham Knight)

Courage

Wanted to finish Undertale before the deadline but I don't think I'll have time. Shame, because I've heard it picks up tremendously after the first couple hours.

Seems like most years I never finish much more than ten games that released that year, so my lists are really more of a ranking of the games I played rather than a showcase of 'ten great games'. In any case, here are some thoughts.
I actually really like this list though. It includes a bunch of games I played but might not have finished so I might or might not put them on my list. It also has a bunch of games that look interesting or I would like to get around to trying eventually.

It also does well to break up the usual monotony of these lists with the AAA titles and the slightly more niche but still extremely popular indies. I almost feel guilty for not making a list like this because mine will be full with the same AAA garbage and that's just a bit dull.

Goddamnit, I totally forgot to re-rent Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked whatever. I played it for like 5 hours and really liked it and had to make room in my queue for something else I really wanted to get. Oh well, another one on the 2015 in 2016 pile.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I admit that I haven't gotten too far into this game yet, but it's already clear to me that it's my favorite of all of 2015. Not because it's the most tightly-designed one, but simply because everything from the soundtrack to the character designs, including combat mechanics and questing structure, seems to be custom-made to appeal to my personal tastes. The sense of awe I get exploring each and every new area is unparalleled. Mira actually feels like an alien planet - one that I feel very comfortable diving into and just doing whatever.
2. Undertale ; I should've known from the start that a game that claims to be mainly inspired by EarthBound was going to be earth-shattering, but I could never expect that it'd be this good. Undertale sets a new bar in terms of how well put together the different aspects of a game can be - a new standard that's actually unfair to most other games. I really don't think it's an exaggeration to call Toby Fox a genius. He's a guy who (almost) single-handedly dismantled one of this industry's oldest and most popular genres, turning all of its tropes upside down in an absurdly intelligent way. Simple graphics, entrancing tunes and charismatic characters come together in a perfect package that managed to make me feel and think things I never thought a game could.
3. Splatoon ; This game makes it perfectly clear that Nintendo EAD are simply the best this industry has to offer. After years of people making fun of Nintendo for not having their own shooting franchise, out of nowhere they decide to tackle the genre with remarkable ingenuity. Splatoon is a one-of-a-kind experience, filled to the brim with a consistent style and attitude. It's a true achievement in a mostly inertia-driven triple-A industry that rewards players with fun instead of cheap level unlocks, and that deserves extra points and attention for doing so in what is probably the most stagnant genre.
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Oh, man, this is hard. From the (obviously misleading) announcement trailer to the final realization that the only way I could enjoy the series' true ending was through an YouTube video, few games have ever made me feel so many different things as The Phantom Pain did. Judging it as a passionate fan, I probably hate it. It gets so many things wrong. What's up with Ocelot and Kaz, Kojima? Why the fuck is Quiet a thing? And that ending... When I judge the game without the fiery passion for the franchise in my eyes, though, I can easily see that it's a masterpiece in terms of gameplay. The stealth mechanics are vastly improved by the open world, and the amount of details and different possibilities Kojima and his team managed to fit into the game even with Konami breathing hard on their necks is staggering. You'll be missed, Snake.
5. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ; Why the hell would I play a Telltale-made Borderlands game? As much fun as I had mindlessly shooting things in co-op and trying hard to avoid committing suicide due to the shitty jokes in the first two games, I don't consider myself a Borderlands fan. Certainly not enough to play a Borderlands-inspired shallow adventure game in which I have to pretend that my choices matter. Still, the game came in a pack I didn't pay a lot of money for, so what the hell. And I'm glad I jumped on that deal. Tales from the Borderlands is the best Borderlands game, and it's the best Telltale games. They've nailed the characters, the world-building, the humor, the action scenes, the pivotal moments in each episode, the musical openings (oh my God the musical openings) - everything. Hell, your choices do matter here! What a ride. Oh, and also: fuck you Pitchford.
6. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; Monster Hunter is a series that captures perfectly everything I love about gaming. Success in this game is 1/3 reliant on your combined previous efforts, and 2/3 on pure skill. Nothing you do goes to waste: you're either getting better as a player, or enjoying that sweet monster loot. Rarely a game manages to stay fresh for hundreds of hours, but Monster Hunter does so effortlessly. It goes without saying that 4 Ultimate is, so far, the best and most complete game in the series.
7. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward ; I'm clearly over the World of Warcraft-styled MMORPG threadmill, but I had my fair share of fun with the Heavensward 'campaign'. Despite being a multiplayer game, Heavensward out-Final-Fantasy-es every other Final Fantasy since maybe Final Fantasy X. It's a game made by people who clearly love the franchise and understand what exactly made those classic games so loved. Besides, Ishgard is a great setting, and the Warrior of Light's adventures through it are filled with great and emotional moments. I really look forward to resubscribing once they've added enough new story content.
8. Cities: Skylines ; After the huge disappointment that was Sim City, it was immensely refreshing to see a small team manage to do what EA couldn't. Cities: Skylines transforms what is probably the most boring job ever into a fun pastime activity, and does so without oversimplifying its mechanics. I have terrible commitment issues that make me abandon every city I create very quickly, but I can't deny that Cities: Skylines is probably the best game in the genre.
9. Super Mario Maker ; This went from being the most disappointing E3 Nintendo announcement to one of the most ingenious games I played in 2015. The amount of love poured into the making of Super Mario Maker is absurd. It's filled with little secrets and details that makes me feel glad for revisiting one of gaming's most important franchises. It's so much more than a simple stage creator.
10. Rocket League ; Freaking PlayStation Plus, man. Rocket League is amazing fun. And such a simple but effective concept, too.

1. Bloodborne ; Best Game all-round this year, put in way too many hours trying to seek that Paleblood.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The story was crushingly disappointing but the gameplay had me going back every time.
3. Her Story ; Any weird abstract detective game is on my list.
4. Until Dawn ; Cabin in the Woods as a game works really well.
5. Dying Light ; Zombies and Freerunning work surprisingly well, even if it does get stale a bit too fast.
6. Life Is Strange ; Time Travel + Twin Peaks + Stupid High School Adventures = weird and fun game.

Courage

Didn't have time to catch up on some games, so I'll be doing a top 6:

rzFDBLo.jpg

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; The pinnacle of the action RPG genre. CD Project Red crafts a fully realized, lively world, brimming with painstaking detail in every corner. It’s that detail that elevates The Witcher III among its contemporaries; every quest, even the minor ones, provides context that is rooted to the world and its characters. It helps that the game is gorgeous of course, providing a variety of locales, from the dense fields and foliage in Velen, filled with small villages and active NPCs to the tranquil mountainscapes of Ard Skellig, to the dark, ominous caverns throughout the world, all having their own atmosphere imbued by the game's soundtrack, which is filled with Eastern European folk tunes and beautiful string arrangements. The story of the game may not be anything noteworthy at a surface level, but it’s Geralt’s relationships with these characters that keeps you attached. I’d say it’s done better than any other story-focused RPG because the dialogue feels natural, via the fantastic writing and the facial expressions/body language of each character. The characters’ voice acting is almost always competent, which is impressive considering the size of the cast, and all have their own quirks and personality traits that hold your attention in one way or another. My personal favorite is Dijkstra; the banter between him and Geralt was brilliant. So yeah, I can probably criticize The Witcher III’s sluggish combat, cluttered menu design and navigation, and the jank that is still present in the world, but no other game’s ambition has ever been so well executed, unless we’re talking about GTA or something. Its scope is unparalleled. It is the most memorable game I’ve played all year and by far my favorite video game of the year.

H738jXx.jpg

2. Life is Strange ; Whew, Dontnod just destroyed Telltale at their own game with their freshman effort in the episodic adventure genre. Life is Strange tells a story of friendship, between Max Caulfield and Chloe Price, mixed with some time traveling to keep the game mechanically interesting and different, since it offers a refreshing way to encounter choices and puzzles. As Max, you mostly spend your time in Blackwell Academy and surrounding areas interacting with students, teachers, and other townspeople. The writing is a little corny, especially the dialogue amongst the teenagers, but it manages to stay endearing enough to build each character’s personality. The game also tackles mature issues, such as bullying, depression and suicide, in a surprisingly effective manner. When Life is Strange hits though, it hits hard. The bigger, poignant moments in the game are seriously heartbreaking, showing a humane side that most story-based games don’t really do that well. So even with its teen fiction tropes and outdated slang, Life is Strange builds a convincing world with likable characters and a story that is tremendously resonating. The game also has its own quirky style, the way Max herself would probably design it, with its hand-painted stylized look, ambient score, appropriate licensed indie-rock tunes and slick in-game interface. Life is Strange manages to evoke more memories than almost any other game this year. My favorite moments were the serene ones, like when you’re lying on Chloe’s bed soaking in the atmosphere, and nothing else seemed to matter. For a game that is so involved in time traversal, its magic lies when you’re living in the moment.

jgT2SvO.jpg

3. Bloodborne ; was my first Souls-esque game, so you can imagine the dread I felt when I first started playing it. It does an impeccable job at easing you in though, so Bloodborne never really felt insurmountable. Everything about the game instantaneously appealed to me: its Victorian, Lovecraft-esque setting and enemy designs, its fast-paced, brutal combat that emphasizes the memorization of enemy patterns and serious utilization of the tools at your disposal, and finally its mysterious lore that kept me hooked. I also felt the pacing was really good, spicing it up with various types of enemy encounters in different areas, and the boss fights also never really felt the same. It remains consistent until the end, and for that reason incentivized me to replay it again on NG+, and even start a new character focusing on different attributes and weapons. Let’s hope Dark Souls III is this good.

BvrsiLl.jpg

4. Ori and the Blind Forest ; is probably the most deceptive game I’ve ever played. It’s jaw-droppingly gorgeous, with a richly vivid, animated art style that almost reminds me of a Studio Ghibli film. I knew I was getting into a Metroidvania-style game, but I never expected it to be so damn brutal. This was a good thing, since it was refreshing to be challenged by a game like this. It wasn’t unfair in any way, the game builds on its platforming throughout, and by the time it’s over you can pull off some crazy feats in the air. It contains depth stylistically and mechanically and even has a moving story that I didn’t really expect. The best Metroidvania game since Shadow Complex.

OAMfsfn.jpg

5. Splatoon ; Speaking of style, here’s another game that’s got buckets filled with it. Almost as if it’s a relic of the Dreamcast era, Splatoon rocks its colors with confidence, and its eccentric designs and music add to its aesthetic. It also helps that the game is extremely fun. The game has a varied arsenal to use, for short and long range encounters alike. Clothing and shoes also enable you to fine tune your play style. The most satisfying part about Splatoon’s gameplay though, is the fluid traversal when in squid form. It almost adds a tactical element, allowing you to pop up and ambush opponents, or swim away from a heated ink fight. The game is also structured to be easy to just pick up and play, with 3-minute matches and map rotation that allows you to familiarize yourself with each map in just a few matches. My favorite multiplayer shooter of the year.

U3O3MS1.jpg

6. Until Dawn ; A horror B-movie in videogame form. Might be a little disingenuous to reduce the game like that, but this game clearly wears its influences on its sleeve. The isolated mountain lodge setting, the naive teenage cast with different personality traits that can get killed at a moments notice, and the jumpscares. A lot of fucking jumpscares. Which annoyed me at first, but it’s ultimately part of this game’s DNA, and integral to what it’s striving to do. And it does it well. The atmosphere is suffocating, with the panned camera angles providing a sense of dread. Its realistic look, down to the facial animations of the characters, also helps with immersion. Even though a lot of the gameplay is QTE and choice-based, similar to Life is Strange, the mechanics do a good job in serving the game’s style. The 'Don’t Move' segments, in particular, catch you by surprise and force you to stay completely still in extremely tense moments. It adds onto the fear and powerlessness you feel throughout the game. Keeping everyone alive without using a guide was also a satisfying feat. Also my favorite game to stream last year.

Tain

Can I vote for a group of DLC that was released in 2015 for a 2014 game, all in one entry? Or can I only vote for one of the expansions at a time?

StMeph

Had a harder time ranking GOTY in 2015 due to playing less games overall and leaving a major backlog.

1. Bloodborne; I thought I knew what I was getting, but Miyazaki threw in Lovecraftian cosmic horror into the mix. That kind of twist in any game would be enough to warrant a place on this list. That Bloodborne is the one to do it cements it at #1. It also helps that the Souls formula was changed for this new franchise by ditching shields to force more active combat.
  2. Destiny: The Taken King; Despite any shortcomings -- and there are many -- I put in hundreds of hours more than I ever expected to.
  3. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide; No one will miss the fact that it's Left 4 Dead + Payday 2, but it's a well done combination, and still feels fresher than most other games of 2015.
  4. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin;
  5. Pillars of Eternity;
  6. Rocket League; This would be ranked higher if I were better at the game.
  7. Shadowrun: Hong Kong;
  8. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance;
Honorable Mentions would just be a bunch of games that I WANTED to play in 2015, but still haven't gotten around to.

Megatron

Just a recommendation to the people that has Yoshi's in their lists. Do a spell check because i think one or two entries were written with just one "L".

The other popular games i' ve seen seem fine (Withcher, Blood, Fallout, et all)

Well there's Boxboy! which is written sans the exclamation point. And i don't know if it is a problem or not.

Kind of an ironic post.

1. Yakuza 5 ; The last real Yakuza game for the PS3 is the biggest one yet, and also the best. Five characters & towns, the typical Yakuza storytelling full of twists, and so much to do! Including tons of regular side quests, as well as taxi driving, dance battles, hunting etc. It took me over 120 hours, but I had to finish them all. There are some bad textures here and there & the game is three years old, but I don’t care. GOTY.

2. Bloodborne ; Still no Dark Souls 1, but a return to form for FROM after DKS2, which I didn't like that much. The Old Hunters DLC improved the game even more, but probably also cost me a few years of my life, being in NG+. ;) The lack of real PVP/covenants hurt the game’s longevity for me though.

3. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Lots of fun playing in co-op with g/f and even 100%ing the game, which I rarely ever do. Best and most charming 2D platformer in years.

4. Neko Atsume: Kitty Collector ; Highly addictive smart phone game that saved me multiple boring work days, without taking any money from the wallet.

5. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Biggest and most beautiful open world that was a joy to explore. Still a huge disappointment compared to the first Xenoblade game, as setting & story just wasn't mine.

6. Yo-kai Watch ; Not a Pokemon fan at all, but I gave it a shot because I liked Fantasy Life so much. Yo-kai Watch is equally charming and well made, even though the battle system wasn’t really my cup of tea.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; As a big Zelda fan, this should probably be a bit higher, but since it's "just a remake" I think it wouldn't be fair. Then again, Majora isn’t my favorite Zelda, but I'm glad I was finally able to play through all of it (never owned a N64 myself).

8. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water ; Not scary at all, but great atmosphere and setting. Didn't even mind the backtracking.

9. Super Mario Maker ; Great in theory, but those Kaizo & autorun stages frustrated me while trying to unlock all the costumes. Still playing it though.

10. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Thought this was my GOTY early on, but little did I know... Wasn't sure for a long time if I should even include it in my top 10 or not, but at least the gameplay was good, so yeah.

Games that came out in 2015 that could have made the Top 10, but I haven't played yet:
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, The Legend of Legacy, Tearaway Unfolded.

Also have to add that I mostly played old games this year, so my real GOTY is probably Shenmue 1/2.

8ipNciv.jpg

1. Bloodborne ; Having recently gone back to Bloodborne for The Old Hunters release it really cemented my position of this being the best game this year. There is two important things I feel it does better than every other game I played this year, level design and boss fights. On the level design side, it has that Souls quality of being a rare 3d environment that can actually make you spatially confused as to it's layout despite having a full 3rd person fov and normal movement. The environments are complex but not obtuse, and you get the familiar revelatory feel when you understand how one path links to another and start connecting the pathways in your mind to map out the area. Central Yharnam and the Cathedral Ward are the epitome of this to me, playing them blind with no map and no direction and just exploring and trying to make sense of this sprawling city and all it's dangers is what makes the game shine.

Some areas later on aren't as intricate and more straightforward and open, but there is still plenty that based on pure level design alone stand out among games this year. The DLC expansion added some great stuff too, with the Research Hall and Fishing Village quickly becoming some of my favorite Souls areas ever. Level design is a big reason of why I've always thought that FromSoft and the Souls series created a new tier of RPG where the vast open plains and copypaste dungeons of other series would forever be outclassed, and Bloodborne retains that advantage over other open world RPGs.

Now on to Boss fights. We are sadly in an era where games come out all the time with absolute shameful excuses for boss fights. It seems there is only a few developers left who really understand what makes a good boss fight and FromSoft is one of them. It blows my mind that I can play a dozen big AAA releases and come up with maybe a few half decent boss fights and then a game like BloodBorne comes along that is absolutely stacked with some of the best fights in both the character action and RPG genre.

A lot of games have a regular combat system that is custom made for their regular trash mobs that completely falls apart when put up against a specialized boss, and this leads to crappy QTE boss fights or scripted sequences that don't make use of any of the skills the game has been teaching you up until then. A lot of developers just don't put in the effort or just don't care to make their boss fights work. Bloodborne's combat works both on the regular enemies you fight throughout the game and the epic and challenging bosses it puts in front of you. It is also great at diversifying it's fights. The game presented itself as this 'Van Helsing-type Hunter' deal, and it puts you up against the 'Beast' type bosses which are the huge hulking monstrosities that have wild flailing attacks and keep you always on the defensive. Then there is the enemy Hunter fights, which I did not expect from the game and have you up against smaller, faster and equally deadly humanoid fights where they can use the same tactics as the player like parries and trick weapon combinations. Some of these like the one in The Old Hunters DLC stands up with the best Rival fights of character action games like Jeanne, Vergil, Armstrong, etc.

Bloodborne also contains what I would say is one of my favorite 'moments' of the year, which is about halfway through when the true nature of the game and it's world is revealed to you and you realize the 'Van Helsing' type concept is not what the game is about at all. For someone like me who goes in blind and didn't read a lot about the game this was one of the coolest revelations to experience.

IEFwzDP.jpg

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Probably the best playing stealth / action game hybrid ever. I can totally understand the step down in other areas that I can't quite put into words (narrative doesn't really cover it) from the other MGS games, but the pure gameplay of this so outclasses them that for me it doesn't really matter. This is the true successor to games like Far Cry 2 and Crysis (1 and Warhead) that would drop the player in a kind of specialized sandbox and have them create their own strategies. It's not an open world full of useless side activities that aren't related to the main game, it's an open world made for it's style of gameplay and infiltrating bases and outposts and nothing more than that. I was also really into the mission structure and base/army building parts, as a huge fan of Peace Walker this felt like a true big budget sequel to that game.

l5PXiMz.jpg

3. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege ; Easily my surprise game of the year. I bought a cheap key for this game with some friends and we expected to get a fun few nights of it, instead we have played it almost nightly since it's release. The developers nailed so much about this game that so many multiplayer shooters lack in.

The main thing I take away from Siege is commitment to an idea. The developers had a pure vision of what they wanted and just breached in with full force. There isn't a bunch of superfluous modes to split the playerbase and dilute the core gameplay. They made a game that is 5v5 with no respawns of offense and defense, and that's it. They crafted their classes to be balanced and don't have a thousand hour grind treadmill with the strongest ones at the end, everyone can get any one straight off the bat because of the confidence in that balance. Everyone's weapons and gadgets are all available to them from the jump. If you think some guy is OP, just get him first and try for yourself.

They made the maps based around the core concept of close quarters indoor combat and slowly making your way through a building checking every corner and coordinating with teammates to take down enemies. There isn't huge battlefield size maps or outdoor gunfights despite the maps themselves having those for aesthetic purposes. They could have done that, and ticked another box for their mp shooter, but they focused on what this game is about and I hugely respect them for that. The weapon distribution of having defenders mainly with short range SMGs and shotguns and attackers with more lethal long range guns like assault rifles reminds me of the careful balance of CS's guns such as the cheap and super deadly AK vs the CT's M4.

It's also insanely rare that a multiplayer game comes out where every map it ships with is good and this is one of them. Can't think of a bad map out of the rotation.

The way Siege handled the concept of intel is also noteworthy. It's something that has been basically a requirement for a good team in a competitive shooter like CounterStrike or anything similar. They took the concept of callouts and team coordination and put it directly in the game through the drone mechanic. The Drone phase is like a primer on how to scout out the enemy and relate that information to your teammates, and it teaches you how to effectively use them in a safe phase of the match so that during an actual fight you know better how to use them. Send your drone ahead and callout spots to your teammates, and eventually you'll be calling them out just through regular play.

That leads me to another facet I think they nailed which is pacing. A casual match of Siege is basically the perfect amount of time for a shooter. The drone phase is quick enough to not be too long if you died early and just long enough to get a good view of the enemy's defenses. The matches themselves have a standard timer that works for all maps in keeping the offense moving and not allowing matches to just drag on, and the best of 5 rounds for a full match is really the perfect match time.

It's just a good pure shooter that has reminded me of the glory days of some of my favorite shooters like Quake 3, RtCW and CS. It's a blend of SWAT 4 and CS that still manages to put it's own twists on the concept with it's character gadgets and resource limited reinforcements and deployables. It's about the gameplay, not the external factors around the gameplay. Siege is a game I can see myself playing for a very long time.

It also helps that the developers have been active with updating and things like that. They didn't do the typical 'wait for console certification before we push the PC patch' thing that many multiplatform games do that can be a killing blow to a nascent PC scene.

d3gy88J.jpg

4. TRANSFORMERS: Devastation ; Fast and fun character action game that has some of the smoothest combat outside of Bayonetta. Lots of Platinum staples design wise come into play here with some new twists like vehicle attacks, vehicle mode and being able to aim and shoot. Some great boss fights but unfortunately light on content compared to the bigger Platinum projects. Still, any fan of character action games needs to pick this up.

C9rQlZf.png

5. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ; The culmination of what is to me the best series of strategy games ever made. Blizzard continues the staple of the first two SC2 games by making it's campaign varied and full of great mission design where every mission has it's unique hook and doesn't just let you sit and turtle up an army for an hour. Highlight for me was the mission where your base is on a moving platform that you can control and send to different spots of a giant space platform to mine resources while having to attack objectives at the same time.

Multiplayer is much faster than previous iterations of the game and the new Archon mode is a nice addition for those too intimidated for the competitive multiplayer. However, I wish they had kept the drastic changes they made to the game from the beta, and this game would surely be higher on my list had they stuck to their guns.

PwxWQez.jpg

6. Resident Evil Revelations 2 ; I enjoyed the first Revelations game enough but it was definitely on the lower tier of RE titles and I think a lot of that had to do with it's 3DS origins. Revs 2 is free of those and after a somewhat low key first episode it quickly ramps up to being one of the best third person shooters of the past couple years, which I never would have expected from the Revelations side series. The gameplay tries to bridge the gap between the slower and tankier RE4 and 5 style of action and the dodgefest that is RE6's movement and is successful at doing so. You do feel slow and vulnerable running from the various horror show creatures of the Island, but a quick player will be able to use the dodge system to evade most attacks which does feel great. Good campaign design that ends up with a great boss fight followed by amazing fan service. More people should give this game a chance, even if you aren't a RE fan and just want a solid third person shooter.

NCuEzl9.jpg

7. Invisible, Inc. ; I love stealth games but their great failing has always been the player's own OCD tendencies making them more of a chore to play. Always going for the perfect op, never alerting any guard and ghosting the way through leading to lots of restarts and frustration. Invisible Inc takes a significant leap forward for stealth games in general by embracing the fact that things will go wrong, no matter how well you do. The Alarm system is the most important of all. Regardless of how well you are doing, the alarm will go up a level every turn no matter what. Guards will patrol more, reinforcements will arrive, more cameras will come online, and the mission you started out as calm and tranquil will slowly but surely turn into an intense fight for survival where every movement can make the difference. The build up of intensity that happens in every Invisible Inc mission is a master work of design and balance, and I believe it belongs in the halls of the greatest stealth games.

h2HoVGu.jpg

8. Sublevel Zero ; A rogue-lite that takes what you remember Descent to be and modernizes it with great controls, combat, randomization and graphical style. The fact that Sublevel Zero has more variety with it's roguelite systems and level sets despite being a fully 3d game does not get nearly enough credit. It's the Spelunky of 6DOF games.

Also has a crazy amount of enemy variety, not just in form but in function, which I always appreciate.

QtD7K7U.jpg

9. Crypt of the NecroDancer ; It's such a simple idea that you would have thought someone had done it already. Necrodancer's rhythm based dungeon crawling is a game about getting you into the zone and keeping you there. It can get brutally hard and there is much more depth to it's enemies and the strategies to beat them than it first appears. Just great design all around, and my only complaint is the initial load screen taking too long.

YyD48L1.jpg

10. King's Quest ; Only two Acts are out so far but I had a good time with both. What I like about the game is being able to be a good storytelling device while still having some clever puzzle solving that isn't too obtuse and allows for some wiggle room due to multiple ways to do things. It's a good example of not having to get rid of all gameplay if you want a heavily story based experience with some choices.

Guys, I didn't get through all the games I've meant to, so I feel like making this list is premature; I'm working through The Witcher 3 and Ori at the moment so while I haven't finished them, I feel confident that they're placed where they belong on my list. I just wish, again, that I had completed more games for this list as who knows how differently it may have turned out, but in short, it's been a very unproductive year for me when it comes to finishing all the games I wanted.

1. Bloodborne ; And this... this thing is why. I feel very, very strongly about this game. Sure, it's great, but for me it goes much deeper than that. Not only is it by far the best "Souls" title to me, I felt like it scratched so many itches in one go. It gave me amazing gameplay. The art design is simply unmatched. The atmosphere, as a result, is simply unmatched. Aspects of it gave me the same feeling both gameplay and atmosphere wise that I get from Castlevania, a franchise that I'm not sure is alive anymore. It gave me an unexpected helping of Lovecraftian-inspired horror and lore. The online functionality once again is outstanding and it's a stupid amount of fun romping the macabre yet gorgeous environments and wiping out the maddeningly fantastic enemies and bosses with others. I finished the game countless times, getting the Platinum on two accounts even, and just stopping to think about how utterly brilliant and meticulous environments are structured and how they connect is a borderline erotic mindfuck. How it can either take 30 hours or just a handful because of the progression layout is incredible as well.

This isn't just my game of the year; that'd be underselling it. It's one of the greatest games I've ever played. I haven't become bored of games, but when ones such as Bloodborne or The Wonderful 101 come along, I'm more than reminded of why I'm completely infatuated with this medium and will continue to be so, as straying from it may mean not having such experiences.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
3. Resident Evil Revelations 2
4. Halo 5: Guardians
5. Super Mario Maker
6. Until Dawn
7. Ori and the Blind Forest

Corto

h2HoVGu.jpg

8. Sublevel Zero ; A rogue-lite that takes what you remember Descent to be and modernizes it with great controls, combat, randomization and graphical style. The fact that Sublevel Zero has more variety with it's roguelite systems and level sets despite being a fully 3d game does not get nearly enough credit. It's the Spelunky of 6DOF games.

Also has a crazy amount of enemy variety, not just in form but in function, which I always appreciate.

Hey! Thanks to your write up and vote I added this to my to-buy list. ;)

Joeku

Man, if I wasn't so slow to catch up on some stuff I'd write a lot more about some of these, but scanning through the topic people have said what I would but better.

1. Life is Strange ; Somebody mixed Telltale's new breed of adventure games with Twin Peaks, The Butterfly Effect, and an indie coming-of-age movie...I never expected that to be so up my alley, but video games are best when they surprise you.
2. SOMA ; The best strength of this game is that spoilers don't really ruin anything. It's thoughtful and slow and gets better the more you sit and think about it.
3. Invisible, Inc. ; Klei managed to make something turn-based but not RNG-heavy incredibly tense. If that isn't the finest of tuning, I don't know what is.
4. Her Story ; This game is a series of "oh snap" moments. Maybe my best memory of gaming this year is my friend and I slap-fighting each other after a clever search revealed a theory of ours as being true.
5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; The completest of complete packages. Certainly rough edges, but how much works right in TW3 puts everyone else to shame.
6. Bloodborne ; Not as expansive as the main Souls series, but nailing the i-frames and successful followup attacks feels so damn good.
7. Tales from the Borderlands ; Telltale put Gearbox to shame, and struck a really good balance of tone that leaves me surprisingly excited for the Borderlands universe.
8. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes ; A few people + alcohol + KTaNE = great night.
9. Undertale ; Subversion of Expectations: The Game. So heartfelt and clever.
10. Rocket League ; This is the first game since the SNES days to make me involuntarily twist and jerk my controller around as though it will actually let me turn or jump harder.
x. Splatoon ; Nintendo can still bring it. I love the style of this game.
x. Cradle ; Tons of crazy heady sci-fi ideas here. Leans a little more spiritual than SOMA, and getting that side of first-person adventure sci-fi this year was great too.
x. Lifeline ; "Hey, sorry, I'll tell you my order, I just gotta talk to someone is space for a sec."
x. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Exhilarating and breathtaking sound and visual design. Love the agility.
x. Until Dawn ; Get monked.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Likely my game of the last 5 years. Was super nervous when I heard CDPR was going open world as previously I had found the storytelling in such games to be lacking, they blew me away here. Thoughtfully crafted quests, well voiced, beautiful world, and hey I liked the combat too.
2. Ori and the Blind Forest ; I've never considered myself a huge fan of platformers but this one hit the spot. Challenging throughout with the best art and music of the year.
3. Rocket League ; Great multiplayer fun with friends. I suck at aerials though.
4. Pillars of Eternity ; Perhaps a very minor disappointment for me, I was hoping Obsidian would blow me away but instead it was merely a very good RPG. Combat dragged at times and a party member stories varied a bit in quality.
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III ; Favorite Call of Duty since Ops II. Preferred Titanfall's wallrunning to what's here but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.
6. Cities: Skylines ; A good worthy successor to the Sim City series(the good ones).
7. King's Quest ; Simple good fun. Thank you for not screwing it up Activision.
8. Heroes of the Storm ; My MOBA of choice as it keeps my frustration to a minimum. Wish the business model was more player friendly.
9. There Came an Echo ; Game did something truly unique with the voice commands, which for the most part worked, at least for me. Story really didn't grab me though.

Leaving my list with 9 as the rest of what I played I don't really feel deserved a spot. I know I missed some stuff that others would feel are worthy of this list but only have so much time and money to spend. Really good year for new games, much improved over 2014.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
1. Undertale ; It's difficult to explain why I like Undertale without potentially ruining it for someone else. I personally think that the best possible way to experience this game is to go in knowing as little as you possibly can and with tempered expectations. Some of the charm might be lost if you get carried away by the hype surrounding the game. And don't feel discouraged if you don't like the first half hour or hour of the game, it really starts to pick up once you finish the tutorial area and encounter the second real boss.
2. Pillars of Eternity ; A modernized take on CRPGs that I appreciate even more after replaying the first Baldur's Gate last year. Most of the cast is fantastic, especially Durance, Pallegina, and the Grieving Mother. The story is decent, though the third act feels rushed in comparison to the first two acts, and the lore is interesting, if a little generic at times. I ended up really liking the game's epilogue, too, as it took into account choices I originally thought were the result of glitches.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Majora's Mask is still pretty great. The setting and characters are still some of my favorites in the franchise. Most of the changes help streamline and improve the game, other than the changes made to the Zora mask.
4. Divinity: Original Sin: Enhanced Edition ; I'm glad I waited to play through this version of the game. The combat is some of the best I can think of in turn based RPGs. The game's story is weak, though, and that's what stops this from being higher on my own personal list.
5. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight ; It's an Etrian Odyssey game. The combat and dungeons are as good as ever. 2 Untold has a much better overall story than the first Untold game, even if it loses steam towards the ending and has a lame sequel hook, plus I ended up liking the cast more than the first Untold's. I still prefer III and IV in the end, however. Can't wait for the inevitable 3 Untold.
6. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; Hong Kong feels more like a side step to Dragonfall, while Dragonfall's Director's Cut felt like a real sequel to Returns. The pacing felt really off in comparison to Dragonfall's pacing, for example. On the other hand, I prefer the overall cast in Hong Kong (Glory and Eiger vs. Gobbet, Gaichu, and Racter as great memorable characters, Blitz is still the weakest of the companions for me). I think that the matrix sections could definitely be improved in future iterations, too. The matrix sections in Hong Kong felt very clunky at times.
7. Life is Strange ; This would be higher on my list if both of the endings were a bit better. What the final choice was going to be should have been obvious to everyone by the end of the first episode, but my main problem is the deficit in quality between the two endings. It really soured the experience as a whole for me.
8. Sunless Sea ; An excellent naval exploration based game partially marred by the overly long tedious grind for money. The writing and general setting oozes atmosphere out of every bit of the game you encounter, though, and it definitely makes up for all of the grinding.
9. Read Only Memories ; Great little cyberpunk point and click adventure game that some would argue feels more like a visual novel than a PnC game. It's a great game either way.
10. Contradiction: Spot the Liar! ; Consider this a reminder that Detective Inspector Jenks is one of the best new characters of last year.

Honorable Mentions
x. Pokémon Picross ; My first real experience with picross, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. This would be higher on my list if the free to start elements were taken out. I hope another Pokémon themed picross is made at some point with every Pokémon, it would be great.
x. Her Story ; Another great FMV mystery game.
x. Evoland 2 ; Much better, and more expansive, than the first Evoland. It might be a bit too heavy on the references at times, but the wide variety of gameplay is something that deserves a bit of recognition. It also has an actually interesting time travel story, too.
x. The Amber Throne ; Quite possibly the most beautiful RPGMaker game I've ever played.
x. Oceanhorn ; Very solid Zelda inspired game that draws heavily from The Wind Waker.

Miker

1. Invisible, Inc. ; The developers of Mark of the Ninja turn their expertise in stealth to a new genre: turn based strategy, and the results are brilliant. Building off the visual cues that made MotN so effortless to play, Invisible, Inc. gives players all the information they need to succeed, and lets them loose within procedurally generated trenchcoats’n’corporations themed facilities. I could talk for days about the complex interplay between agents and guards, sight and cover, icebreakers and daemons. Suffice to say that if the core design was any tighter, it would collapse inwards and create a black hole swallowing up all other games. It all comes together to generate maximum tension, in which every action is a calculated risk that could mean the difference between life and death. The elegant design is mirrored in its angular, cel-shaded look, and the result is the most stressful, stylish, and satisfying TBS game I’ve ever played.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; MGS5 doesn’t play (or control) like a traditional MGS game, and that’s a Good Thing. Players have every freedom in how to approach missions, and no matter what decisions (or mistakes) they make, the game responds in completely logical, often hilarious ways. MGS5 feels like Japan’s answer to the (amorphous and crappily named) immersive sim genre. The plot is weak at best and insulting at worst, but even then it still can’t put a hamper on how goddamn good it feels to run around in the greatest stealth action sandbox ever created.

3. Rocket League ; It’s soccer with cars! The purest, most fun multiplayer experience I’ve had since vanilla TF2. Beyond the pitch perfect (har har) controls that are simple to grasp and downright impossible to master, I dig everything else surrounding the game. The clean “sport of the future” aesthetic that’s attractive without being busy, the goofy customization options, the robust replay viewer, the quick chat options, and so much more. Even the menus are praiseworthy in how quickly they get players into a party and into a game as fast as possible. Rocket League is absolutely everything a multiplayer game should be.

4. 3D Out Run ; As the recent SEGA 3D Classics thread has shown, we don’t deserve M2. We are not worthy of these painstakingly authentic recreations of 80s arcade games. The 3DS version of Out Run doesn’t just emulate the game, it captures the experience of sitting down at a deluxe cabinet. With the proper settings, the 3DS version of Out Run tilts, sounds, and feels like the real thing. Not only does all of this run at a glorious 60 fps in 3D (rather than the original 30), it also includes two brand new music tracks that fit in perfectly among the classic tracks from 1986.

5. Transformers: Devastation ; You can activate Witch Time and go into a Max Payne style shootdodge. Yeah. This game is baller.

6. Downwell ; Gunboots. That’s a heck of a gimmick for a game to live up to, and Downwell fulfills every expectation I had when reading that word. Your little dude’s boots are packed with machine guns, shotguns, laser beams, and they all feel unreasonably satisfying to fire. It’s the most tactile game I’ve played on a touchscreen, with *just* the right amount of particle effects and screen shake applied to each shot from your gunboots. Beyond the presentation and controls, the lean roguelike structure is perfectly suited for short bursts, with enough variety and difficulty to keep me coming back time and time again. My favorite mobile game since Super Hexagon.

7. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ;

8. Crypt of the Necrodancer ;

9. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ;

10. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ;

x. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void
x. Neko Atsume: Kitty Collector
x. Journey
x. Resident Evil HD Remaster

Jucksalbe

Banned
4. 3D Out Run ; As the recent SEGA 3D Classics thread has shown, we don’t deserve M2. We are not worthy of these painstakingly authentic recreations of 80s arcade games. The 3DS version of Out Run doesn’t just emulate the game, it captures the experience of sitting down at a deluxe cabinet. With the proper settings, the 3DS version of Out Run tilts, sounds, and feels like the real thing. Not only does all of this run at a glorious 60 fps in 3D (rather than the original 30), it also includes a brand new 4th music track that fits in perfectly among the classic tracks from 1986.

Hooray for another Out Run vote!
It has two new music tracks, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom