• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Screenshots (by DeadEndThrills)

tr_2s6s60.gif

Wellthereitis.gif

There shouldn't be any weird posts now after this.

Weird aspect ratio... But yeah, game looks great, but it did on the One too. I'm sure it should run much better in a decent PC, which is the most important part. Wish I had waited but Ohh well, it's a good game. Will double dip when it's cheap.

JoseLopez

You need a better set of eyes.
Not really just better resolution and maybe higher detail
At end of the day there's no need for this discussion since everything is a variable on Pc so some people will make it look like a game a generation away while other will make it look like a n64 game.

EvB

I wouldn't get too hung up on how great it looks right now, that website is about taking videogames photographs, many of them are retouched and processed in the same way you would a photo

JoseLopez

Aside from differences there are no differences.

Okay.

I guess according to you any multiplat on beefier PC hardware is the same as consoles.
Ok put words into my post why not
All I was saying was that those specific screenshots look very similar to the Xbox one version.

Kezen

Banned
Ok put words into my post why not
All I was saying was that those specific screenshots look very similar to the Xbox one version.

Well whatever floats your boat. I think this is a very substantial upgrade, and so will the PC version even without heavy downsampling.
There will be enough improvements to create a gap.

JoseLopez

Well whatever floats your boat. I think this is a very substantial upgrade, and so will the PC version even without heavy downsampling.
There will be enough improvements to create a gap.
I mean ok good for your pc
Maybe higher detail? lol. Stop looking at the pictures on a flip phone and check out the gif posted on this very page.
You need chill out dude I was replying to the first pics

etta

my hard graphic balls
So is that second GIF a result of a zoom-in or not?
Is that detail difference due to XBO's more aggressive LOD?

jackdoe

Wow, that is a substantial improvement. The differences would have probably been a lot smaller if they had targeted a 900p resolution on the Xbox One instead of 1080p, and there may not have been an input lag issue either.

JayB1920

Oh, damn. The LOD differences are massive. Weird, since the screenshots looked pretty good in the console screenshot thread.

I'm pretty sure that was a pre release screenshot of the Xbox One version so it may not be indicative oh how it actually looks. I saw that same screen months before the game released. Someone should take a screen of that location in game.

NeoRaider

Oh, damn. The LOD differences are quite massive. Weird, since the screenshots looked pretty good in the console screenshot thread.
But the PC version is also at 4K, right? That helps quite a bit with the detail at a distance.

Xbox One screenshot that i used for this comparison is not from the final build of the game, and same for the PC i guess. But they are both official, published by SE.

PC is downsampled from 4K, and Xbox One is untouched.

patapuf

Oh, damn. The LOD differences are quite massive. Weird, since the screenshots looked pretty good in the console screenshot thread.
But the PC version is also at 4K, right? That helps quite a bit with the detail at a distance.

If feel like LOD is where the gap between the consoles and the PC are the biggest atm.

You'll find few games where the difference between PC and console LOD isn't big.

Kezen

Banned
Exactly, that would help with LOD differences.
You got that wrong I think. It helps with textures, not model complexity.

Whichever you slice it the PC version will look much better if you crank up the settings.
I don't think anyone will be in a position to downplay that fact.

kikonawa

This will be the first current game I'll be running on my new PC.

Anyone know roughly how well a i5 4460 and 4gb R9 380 will run this? I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near as good as those screenshots, but I'm hoping it'll be a noticeable improvement over consoles.
Why not. You have a decent setup

etta

my hard graphic balls
You got that wrong I think. It helps with textures, not model complexity.

Whichever you slice it the PC version will look much better if you crank up the settings.
I don't think anyone will be in a position to downplay that fact.
What?
More pixels = objects at a distance are clearer and more defined, they are literally made up of more pixels.
Are you saying that setting it to 480p wouldn't destroy the LOD?

Kezen

Banned
Looks really nice.
It's likely that some PC enhancements will be used on the PS4 sku, but if the game scales high I don't think it's possible for the PS4 version to integrate all the bells and whistles.

Remember there is only about 50% power difference between the xbone and the PS4. It is very common for visual upgrades to have a 20-25% hit.

What?
More pixels = objects at a distance are clearer and more defined, they are literally made up of more pixels.
Are you saying that setting it to 480p wouldn't destroy the LOD?
It would not less us appreciate the LOD gap but the model themselves would be identical, just like MGS 5 showed significant LOD advantages of PC even at 1080p. :)
I'm sorry but your attempt at damage controlling the PC advantages with the 4K does not work. Even at 1080p the draw distance will be higher, confirmed by some SE guy on IGN.

I don't think anyone's expecting that IQ but the assets aren't going to change depending on your hardware. Maybe LODs.

Yeah, it's awesome to see the assets themselves are up to snuff. In two or three years it'll be sweet to play this game at ultra 4k or whatever. Reviving old games with new PC tech is one of the things I like most about PC gaming.

Kezen

Banned
Normally I would agree but we are 3 pages in and people are still trying to convince others that a PC game that can be played on hardware up to five times the value of a console is in some way comparable. (Objectively 99% of PC games look better than console counterparts at maxed settings)

And the worst part about it is, people are only trying to enjoy/discuss the screenshots and not have to wade through pages of nonsense from people who don't even own PC's many of which are junior members.

The DF Face Off thread will be glorious.

But the attemps at downplaying the PC version are not surprising at all, especially from xbone owners who got the very short end of the stick when it comes to multiplatform releases. :p.

Top Bottom