• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

ironcreed

Banned
image.php

tumblr_n3oe9cXjJD1s4z2eio1_500.gif

Damn straight.

NinjaBoiX

I think it's outrageous to say they're cheap or poorly executed.
Some enemies flat out cheat and break the game's own rules, some enemies resort to cheesy warp tactics to make their attacks connect, the placement of some enemies that gang up on you feels artificially difficult and the clipping is truly horrendous. Probably some of the worst I've ever seen.

There's a difference between well designed and well executed.

Raven117

I will say...the tracking on some of the bosses in the Blood/Souls games is silly...and it seems to have gotten worse in later iterations.

It really irritates me. I have to commit to a swing and where I aimed it...why don't the bosses? I have seen the base of bosses swing around 180 degrees....I mean...geesh.

(This is where Monster Hunter really shines... When I hunter a monster, I feel that the rule set is the same for each).

NinjaBoiX

I will say...the tracking on some of the bosses in the Blood/Souls games is silly...and it seems to have gotten worse in later iterations.

It really irritates me. I have to commit to a swing and where I aimed it...why don't the bosses? I have seen the base of bosses swing around 180 degrees....I mean...geesh.

(This is where Monster Hunter really shines... When I hunter a monster, I feel that the rule set is the same for each).
This is exactly what I mean by cheap, they play by a different rule set, it's not fair. Like when a huge towering knight's 50 foot axe can swing clean through a 6ft solid stone pillar, yet my sword clangs straight off it.

It's cheesy and a lazy way of making the game more difficult.

It's really annoying.

-Horizon-

Don't even get me started on the hunters with infinite bullets that aren't limited to having to sacrifice their hp to get more ammo in bloodborne.

But yeah, the tracking is ridiculous where an enemy is doing the start of an attack and as you dodge they rotate in place lol.

I mean, what's the point of an attack animation that is seconds long if they wouldn't give it a bit of tracking, specially on BB.

You understand how easy those enemies would be if you can just simply walk sideways to their backs while they finish the animation and obviously fail, then proceed to land dozens of hits freely?

NinjaBoiX

I mean, what's the point of an attack animation that is seconds long if they wouldn't give it a bit of tracking, specially on BB.

You understand how easy those enemies would be if you can just simply walk sideways to their backs while they finish the animation and obviously fail, then proceed to land dozens of hits freely?
You're missing the point. It's about fair play, an even playing field, a consistent set of rules.

If their attacks track, then why don't mine?

Lux R7

You're missing the point. It's about fair play, an even playing field, a consistent set of rules.

as long as you don't lock on, you can start an attack animation right and finish it to the left (or in every direction i mean), at least in dark souls (not sure about bb)

The clipping thing is definitely absurd but I'm so used to it that I account for it, not that that makes it any less bizarre.

The attack thing is a weird criticism to me. You can most definitely aim your attacks if you don't lock on, which is usually the preferred way to approach a boss fight in my opinion. You can even aim charge attacks in Bloodborne.

zma1013

Oh god, the worst boss in Dark Souls II (giant king) is back. Putting all my stat points into "camera."

It's kinda sad that we've had 5 games and the camera and lock on systems have seen zero improvement. Give the camera some custom AI for large enemies and bosses so I can see what's hapoening.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to bump without anything especially new, but just wanted to confirm (in what seems like the most recent thread) for people wondering about invasions this time.

I may have caused some concern through what I said about Dried Fingers in the Network Test - that you need to use those to open yourself up to invasion from anyone.

This was misleading. As others can probably confirm from the test, using an Ember will open you up to invasion even if you're on you're own (in online mode, of course). So, essentially like being in human form (after using Humanity) in Dark 1.

Dried Fingers open you up to invasion from a second dark spirit, as well as allowing you to summon up to three phantoms.

Apologies for any confusion caused. Hope this is good news to some of you.

Sorry to bump without anything especially new, but just wanted to confirm (in what seems like the most recent thread) for people wondering about invasions this time.

I may have caused some concern through what I said about Dried Fingers in the Network Test - that you need to use those to open yourself up to invasion from anyone.

This was misleading. As others can probably confirm from the test, using an Ember will open you up to invasion even if you're on you're own (in online mode, of course). So, essentially like being in human form (after using Humanity) in Dark 1.

Dried Fingers open you up to invasion from a second dark spirit, as well as allowing you to summon up to three phantoms.

Thanks man, always appreciate your posts!

Very happy with that, thanks for letting us know.

Szadek

He has been nerfed to death on SOTFS though. Like, Dragonrider tier of easy.
I just looked it up,
It's better this way, but still a bad boss fight. Now it's a walk in the park, instead of pure frustration.
Apperently his other attacks are stronger now, but given that these attacks never hit me even once, I don't think it matters.

Ferr986

I just looked it up,
It's better this way, but still a bad boss fight. Now it's a walk in the park, instead of pure frustration.
Apperently his other attacks are stronger now, but given that these attacks never hit me even once, I don't think it matters.

I agree it's a shit boss no matter what. That boss was beyond salvation, nerfed or not, his problem was the lack of different attack patterns.

Jombie

I'm going to try and get back into pvp when the game comes out. I try and avoid people, even random, faceless people online. I had a pretty good pvp build for ds2, might do something similar for 3.

B Genius are you allowed to say if there's plenty of NPC's like DS1 and if they go to Firelink when you complete their quests?

That was a big thing i missed in Bloodborne.

Lux R7

New details: http://wccftech.com/dark-souls-3-additional-details-pyromancy-weapon-arts-durability/

- Loading seems to be faster than Bloodborne (but some people guess it’s because they were busy to pay attention to the description on the loading screen and that’s why it felt faster)
- Rolling seems to be like DkS2. There is no mid roll, there is just fast roll and greater the equip load, shorter the rolling distance. Also at a certain point it becomes a fat roll.
- Pyromancy “Sacred Fire” (or purification) is like building up fire inside enemy and blow them up, apparently.The weapon art for Dragonslayer Greatbow is “Piercing Shot”
- The weapon art for Whip and Notched Whip is “Severe Blow”. It’s an attack getting around the shield and reduces stamina regeneration speed.
- The weapon art for Crow Demon’s Curved Greatsword is “Blow from the dead angle”
- Flynn’s Ring confirmed
- Darkdrift confirmed with the weapon art called “Darkdrift” too
- Reinforce Estus Flask with Estus Shard, also you can have 0 FP Estus and get full HP Estus, and vice versa.
- In the description of the sorcery “Tear of Cure(?)” had a name “Carim” in the description.
- Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, Lloyd Shield (not sure if he’s talking about Lloyd from DkS1) (Stability is increased when full HP), Fake Ring (The same effect as Ring of the Living?)
- Lloyd’s Talisman has been changed to Undead Hunt Talisman
- The durability seems to be low, for example Battle Axe has only 80. However it’s like attacking enemy for 5 times will decrease 1 durability, and restores the durability by resting at bonfire.

Arkeband

Banned
New details: http://wccftech.com/dark-souls-3-additional-details-pyromancy-weapon-arts-durability/

- Loading seems to be faster than Bloodborne (but some people guess it’s because they were busy to pay attention to the description on the loading screen and that’s why it felt faster)
- Rolling seems to be like DkS2. There is no mid roll, there is just fast roll and greater the equip load, shorter the rolling distance. Also at a certain point it becomes a fat roll.
- Pyromancy “Sacred Fire” (or purification) is like building up fire inside enemy and blow them up, apparently.The weapon art for Dragonslayer Greatbow is “Piercing Shot”
- The weapon art for Whip and Notched Whip is “Severe Blow”. It’s an attack getting around the shield and reduces stamina regeneration speed.
- The weapon art for Crow Demon’s Curved Greatsword is “Blow from the dead angle”
- Flynn’s Ring confirmed
- Reinforce Estus Flask with Estus Shard, also you can have 0 FP Estus and get full HP Estus, and vice versa.
- In the description of the sorcery “Tear of Cure(?)” had a name “Carim” in the description.
- Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, Lloyd Shield (not sure if he’s talking about Lloyd from DkS1) (Stability is increased when full HP), Fake Ring (The same effect as Ring of the Living?)
- The durability seems to be low, for example Battle Axe has only 80. However it’s like attacking enemy for 5 times will decrease 1 durability, and restores the durability by resting at bonfire.

Sweet. That durability change sounds like when you head out from a bonfire, you're in good hands if you have a main weapon and a backup weapon, which is typically how I played anyway.

Nazo

- Flynn’s Ring confirmed

Some of these new pieces of info are better than others...

I audibly groaned when I read Esstus Flask shards, not that they're a bad mechanic or anything. I just don't like it.

The lack of mid-roll is...okay? I think? I guess its not that big of a deal since Adaptability is gone.

The rest of that list is really cool though.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
I audibly groaned when I read Esstus Flask shards, not that they're a bad mechanic or anything. I just don't like it.

I don't see the problem here, I think estus flask heals should be limited (as long as you can heal fast enough with them that is). The problem was that DS2 gave you so many healing items (looking at you lifegems), that you barely had to think about saving up your estus.

DarkFlame

Banned
and what's best is I think is that they seem to build upon the already big collection of items,rings and armour from DS2 so if they add some nice additions to the already big spectrum of items in DS2,we are gonna have a blast in terms of build variety/itemization and PvP meta,thus helping even more the replayability of the game.

If DS3 is the last or the turning point in the series,i hope it's the sum of the best parts from all the previous games...Can't wait to get addicted to a great Souls game once again

Gbraga

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fuck this shit.

I'm going home. Fuck this game. Fuck everything.

Awesome!

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

OH SHIT, I'm interested, can't wait to learn more about Carim, it was the most intriguing non-Lordran place in Dark 1, in my opinion.

Skab

Why are people upset about the no mid roll thing?

Don't really see the issue considering theres no adaptability stat.

Gbraga

Why are people upset about the no mid roll thing?

Don't really see the issue considering theres no adaptability stat.

It worked in Dark Souls II because poise was broken and didn't make any difference, that's not the case here, judging from what we've seen and played. It's also just lame as hell, I think rolls were the best when done by tiers like in Dark 1.

DS2 = Bad to a lot of people. Which is unfortunate.

What the fuck are you talking about? No one's complaining about 3 weapon slots. No one's complaining about the better netcode. No one's complaining about auto-fade HUD. No one complained when you could use multiple items in Bloodborne. It's not just because it came from Dark Souls II.

You're going the opposite way and defending everything that comes from Dark II from the evil criticism, instead of assuming people like and dislike things from every game.

I also really dislike equip load being separate from stamina, but fine, I can deal with that. The roll and shards mechanics from Dark II were just inferior to me, not just a different take I didn't like, they were bad.

Of course, you can disagree, it's obviously subjective, but if you wouldn't appreciate people telling you that you only disagree because you're a Dark Souls II fanboy and that's unfortunate, don't give other people this bullshit.

Mman235

Without adaptability the "go fast-roll or go home" thing seems more like Demon's Souls if anything. Perhaps the granular changes will be more noticeable or break-point related than DS2 so higher levels of encumbrance essentially work like mid-roll.

What the fuck are you talking about? No one's complaining about 3 weapon slots. No one's complaining about the better netcode. No one's complaining about auto-fade HUD. No one complained when you could use multiple items in Bloodborne. It's not just because it came from Dark Souls II.

You're going the opposite way and defending everything that comes from Dark II from the evil criticism, instead of assuming people like and dislike things from every game.

I also really dislike equip load being separate from stamina, but fine, I can deal with that. The roll and shards mechanics from Dark II were just inferior to me, not just a different take I didn't like, they were bad.

Of course, you can disagree, it's obviously subjective, but if you wouldn't appreciate people telling you that you only disagree because you're a Dark Souls II fanboy and that's unfortunate, don't give other people this bullshit.
What the fuck are YOU talking about?

Nere

Do we know how many rings we will be able to equip? Also curious I think I heard you will be human all the time now is that true?

loving the bitterness about dark souls 2 rolling. great decision by the devs

and weapon durability? fantastic.

The roll and shards mechanics from Dark II were just inferior to me, not just a different take I didn't like, they were bad.

well luckily the devs didn't choose to listen to the vocal minority and kept them in. myself and many others enjoyed those mechanics and obviously the devs agree

Mman235

For the durability stuff I'm just glad that bonfire auto-repair is confirmed; I can take or leave making durability matter, but not having to dig through menus and spend arbitrary amounts of souls every time I reach a bonfire whenever I attack something is nice.

I'm not 100% but I think it's actually 4+covenant ring. So technically 5.

Top Bottom