• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving forward, which people are the most overdue for an Oscar now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as everyone knows, Leo finally got his W and I was looking up the people with the most nominations without a win and these ones stood out to me:

Roger Deakins (cinematographer) - 13 nominations
Glenn Close - 6 nominations
Amy Adams - 5 nominations

Tried looking up directors but after Scorsese finally won for The Departed, I'm struggling to think of any that qualify.

Who am I missing? I'm sure there's more

Toothless

36kQi3L.jpg

In all honesty, Jim Carrey.

Chichikov

Roger Deakins is number one on my list as well.
I would like to see Paul Thomas Anderson and Terrence Malick win as well, though I don't know if they qualify for being super overdue.

Maengun1

May be an oddball pick, but I think Sigourney Weaver has been robbed a couple times and I'd love to get her get another great role and win.

Corpekata

Banned
Amy Adams for actresses, for me, she was often in the "snub" realm generally, while a lot of other repeat nominees I can see why they lost each year.

watershed

Banned
I think the whole concept of overdue for an Oscar is strange unless there are times they were nominated when they clearly should have won like Morricone with The Mission, prior to tonight of course. I don't know what Amy Adams should have won for, for example. Stallone has won before and while he was great in Creed, I don't think he's overdue for an acting Oscar. Gary Oldman is another example. One of my favorite actors but I don't know what great performance should have earned him an Oscar. He was nominated for Tinker Tailor but I wasn't much of a fan of that performance and I think a better performance won that year.

Edit: Wait Stallone didn't win in some category for the original Rocky? I thought he did.

Chichikov

English speaking only? Because there are goddamn many from non-english speaking countries.
It's the Oscars, so no, they don't have to be English speaking only, even though most winners are.
Do you have anyone in mind or are you just here to complain about the Academy eligibility rules?

Toothless

Stallone has won before and while he was great in Creed, I don't think he's overdue for an acting Oscar.

Stallone has never won before. Not for producing, not for directing, not for acting. This was essentially his last shot unless Rocky gets cancer again in Creed 2.

I think the whole concept of overdue for an Oscar is strange unless there are times they were nominated when they clearly should have won like Morricone with The Mission, prior to tonight of course. I don't know what Amy Adams should have won for, for example. Stallone has won before and while he was great in Creed, I don't think he's overdue for an acting Oscar. Gary Oldman is another example. One of my favorite actors but I don't know what great performance should have earned him an Oscar. He was nominated for Tinker Tailor but I wasn't much of a fan of that performance and I think a better performance won that year.

Edit: Wait Stallone didn't win in some category for the original Rocky? I thought he did.

Yeah, maybe I worded it poorly. I don't necessarily mean people who got snubbed, I guess the better question would be "who are the most talented people in Hollywood without an Oscar?"

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

He was nominated for Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay for the original, but did not win either. Rocky won Best Picture, but Stallone was not a producer on the film, so he did not get an Oscar for that.

He does join the ranks of the very few actors who have been nominated more than once for playing the same character, which includes Pacino (Michael Corleone) and Cate Blanchett (Queen Elizabeth I).

Oddduck

Wes Anderson (nominated 6 times and one of the most recognizable directors). Deakins too obviously.

Agreed. Wes Anderson is a good choice.

The guy has had an interesting filmography, that's for sure.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) -- Rottentomatoes: 92% [Nominated for 9 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Screenplay, and Best Director]
Moonrise Kingdom (2012) -- Rottentomatoes: 93% [Nominated: Best Screenplay]
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) -- Rottentomatoes: 92% [ Nominated: Best Animated Film]
The Royal Tenebaums (2002) -- Rottentomatoes: 80% [ Nominated: Best Screenplay]
Rushmore (1998) -- Rottentomatoes: 89%

Wes Anderson's critically mixed films.

The Darjeeling Unlimited (2007) -- Rottentomatoes: 69%
The Aquatic Life of Steve Zaszou (2004) -- Rottentomatoes: 56%

They did? Just watched it back and I didn't see Deakins at all. Maybe I missed it?

It was in the middle of the speech so not "intermediately", my bad. Unless I mistook someone else for him, I remember seeing Deakins while I hear the Italian. Even made a joke about it on that original thread.

Meowster

Glenn Close is the most deserving considering she should have won two different nights and was royally snubbed. I don't know if she's still got it in her to lead a movie and go through all the campaigning/round a bouts though. She was decent in Albert Nobbs but..

MrV4ltor

Diane Warren. Nominated 8 times, never won.
Should've won tonight instead of the Bond song for her song with Lady Gaga.

Oersted

It's the Oscars, so no, they don't have to be English speaking only, even though most winners are.
Do you have anyone in mind or are you just here to complain about the Academy eligibility rules?

It is not a just. Animated directors are extremely long overdue for the Best Director nominations in general, but eligibility rules prevent it.

When it comes down to animation, everything outside Disney movies need a chance. Kaguya and Song of the Sea lost against Big Hero 6.
Mamoru Hosoda is overdue. Makoto Shinkai is overdue. The folks at Cartoon Saloon are.

Which brings us to foreign film. Hsien. Jia Zhangke. Ann Hui. Zhang Yimou. Wong Kar Wai. And here, like with many other films and directors, there are issues with eligibility rules. The countries has to send them in and China, as an example, would rather let hell freeze over than sent a Zhangke film in. So the only chance is Best Film. With no studio backing. Lol. I mean, Boy and the World had to crowdfound their Oscar campaign to get even noticed.

And of course, there are actors. Shu Qi, Deneuve, Watanabe, Jae-Lee... list is long.

Chichikov

It is not a just. Animated directors are extremely long overdue for the Best Director nominations in general, but eligibility rules prevent it.

When it comes down to animation, everything outside Disney movies need a chance. Kaguya and Song of the Sea lost against Big Hero 6.
Mamoru Hosoda is overdue. Makoto Shinkai is overdue. The folks at Cartoon Saloon are.

Which brings us to foreign film. Hsien. Jia Zhangke. Ann Hui. Zhang Yimou. Wong Kar Wai. And here, like with many other films and directors, there are issues with eligibility rules. The countries has to send them in and China, as an example, would rather let hell freeze over than sent a Zhangke film in. So the only chance is Best Film. With no studio backing. Lol. I mean, Boy and the World had to crowdfound their Oscar campaign to get even noticed.

And of course, there are actors. Shu Qi, Deneuve, Watanabe, Jae-Lee... list is long.
So you are mostly complaining about the eligibility rules.
I don't know, the Oscars are an award given by the American film industry mostly to itself, if anything, it's more inclusive than other national awards.
It is what it is.

I do agree that the foreign film nomination process is shit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom