• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhyDin

hero-3.jpg
The gamepad is ginormous, this is not. One of the reasons I don't use my WiiU is because of it's size and battery life.

Unfortunately, this will probably have poopy battery.

Nosgotham

I'll wait until I hear what people who have actually tried say about it. I was super negative on the Wii controller at first but Wii wound up being one of my favorite consoles.

Peterc

We can't judge it just by looking at it, you need to have the final version in your hands and played some games with it.

We know nintendo again is trying to set the next bar in the gaming industry.
Thats what I love about them.

RootCause

As a million mock ups have shown... not even close. Maybe 30%, and I think people are forgetting that Nintendo likes to Nintendo and we may get other ways to hold/use it than usual (see 'book' style for the DS for a few games)
That's an insane amount of wasted screen.

Samemind

I'm cautiously optimistic that this new input device can bring new possibilities in terms of game design. Though I'm not crazy about there seemingly being only 2 (or 4, depending on the shoulder button setup) physical "buttons". Hopefully, this time Nintendo can come up with more than 2 minigame compilations to demonstrate the unique capabilities of its next game system.

Kodaman

Where are the grips? I don't get this controller. At least the DS and WiiU form factors are practical, this thing seems like a gimmick for the sake of it. I keep looking at the picture and my only question is "If you wanna have a screen on your controller, why not just stay with to the WiiU Pad instead of this oval fuckery."

you realize that IF ITS REAL, it's a fucking prototype..

BiggNife

Honestly the weird screen and shape does not bother me nearly as much as no physical buttons. Fuck that. Haptic buttons aren't the same.

If this is real, then Nintendo's really going to have to sell me on why this is a good idea.

RootCause

The gamepad is ginormous, this is not. One of the reasons I don't use my WiiU is because of it's size and battery life.

Unfortunately, this will probably have poopy battery.
Oh, you can bet on that. The wiiu gamepad can't hold a charge even when it turned off.

If we're really talking about on screen buttons, and that stuff actually works ... i hope this tech will be licensed to smartphone and tablet makers.

Welp, if thats actually a real prototype and Rosti isn't stirring for shenanigans then Nintendo is going to need all the fucking luck in the world.

Doubling down on gamepad but an even worse iteration of it as an oval you're gonna cover with your thumbs just fucking because. Maybe this is the straw that breaks the donkeys back generation where people accept "they probably shouldn't be making hardware anymore :E"
And if it is a successful system, would this stop the likes of you from sh*tting up nearly every Nintendo topic? No? Well, there's your answer.

We can't judge it just by looking at it, you need to have the final version in your hands and played some games with it.

We know nintendo again is trying to set the next bar in the gaming industry.
Thats what I love about them.

You can absolutely judge a video game controller by looking at it.

It actually does. It gives devs or consumers the ability to move the buttons wherever they wish, which gives freedom when it comes to hand placement/etc. It also opens up the system for loads of mobile games, which is what we knew Nintendo wanted to do.

How could devs not have buttons wherever they wished on the 3DS or WiiU's touch screens, again? It has been done, and I loathed using the on-screen buttons in Ocarina of Time 3D. Having *only* non-physical face buttons would be a downgrade in every sense.

marmoka

Banned
What Rösti wrote has to be read backwards. If we have to read it on the opposite direction, that means that his message is the contrary of what he's saying.

So, what he meant is "This should have been exposed". In conclusion, this "leak" was intentionally done by Nintendo. They clearly want us to expect the worst when they officially announce NX, and then get extremely surprised of how different and awesome the console is from what we expected.

Rösti is really having fun with this thread. He must be laughing a lot with each post. He's probably dead of laughter by now because of the dumb thing I wrote, haha.

Yup, my guess is most games won't use the whole screen, but rather have UI elements around the joysticks. While you *can* use the whole screen, your focus will be in a rectangle in the middle. I doubt your character (if you have one) will ever leave the center rectangle.

I can't even begin to imagine developing for a screen like this. Sounds like a nightmare to anyone trying to port their game to this console. Worse than having to add a second screen in some ways.

Dev kit might not have the grips yet. Or maybe they're detachable to get to the hardware in the back (again, for dev kit).
Yep, going back to Zelda since the original patent seemed to resemble it and Zelda U is coming to NX according to Trev's source:
ZELDA_OCARINA_OF_TIME.jpg

I imagine around the analog sticks you'll see this. Which is one way they could translate the dual screen streamlining design to a single screen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean if they're on the screen then a developer could just use the Microsoft configuration if they wanted to, barring Nintendo having rules about that.

Right, one thing about this concept is that you could in theory make the buttons anything you wanted them to be, and as many as you want.

You could also opt to just have a regular rectangular screen in the middle with black around the edges outside of the buttons.

beril

Yup, my guess is most games won't use the whole screen, but rather have UI elements around the joysticks. While you *can* use the whole screen, your focus will be in a rectangle in the middle. I doubt your character (if you have one) will ever leave the center rectangle.

I can't even begin to imagine developing for a screen like this. Sounds like a nightmare to anyone trying to port their game to this console. Worse than having to add a second screen in some ways.

Easy, if you want to do a lazy port, render only to a rectangle in the middle, put a frame with some ui elements on the sides, or just black(cinematic) borders

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How could devs not have buttons wherever they wished on the 3DS or WiiU's touch screens, again? It has been done, and I loathed using the on-screen buttons in Ocarina of Time 3D. Having *only* non-physical face buttons would be a downgrade in every sense.

How in the world could you hold a 3DS or Wii U controller and use virtual buttons on the screen in the middle? That wouldn't work well at all.

In this case, the haptic buttons would be moveable based on player preference and would be in nearly the same position as any other controller. All I'm saying is that it could give more freedom to anybody who complains about their hands cramping.

ironcreed

Banned
They are also repeating the replacement and extra controller nightmare all over again. As buying another one will most certainly not be cheap.

I mean, damn.Their games are great and that is what most care about. Why are they still so hell bent on making their system about some weird controller? Being different is not always such a good thing, which is something I figured they would learn from the Wii U.

Yep, going back to Zelda since the original patent seemed to resemble it and Zelda U is coming to NX according to Trev's source:
ZELDA_OCARINA_OF_TIME.jpg

I imagine around the analog sticks you'll see this. Which is one way they could translate the dual screen streamlining design to a single screen

Getting more of the UI off of the center stage of the screen is a pro to me.

It's going to be hilarious if this thing is real and seeing some of the people who were so sure it was fake because of how dumb it looked do a 180 and try and talk themselves into it.

Highly debatable.
Several uses for that extra area that I thought of off the top of my head earlier:
  • Context Sensitive Buttons
  • HUD Elements
  • Peripheral Effects

And you certainly aren't losing anything by having that extra screen. There's a nice big 16: (possibly wider) area between the sticks that will remain unobscured. Here's how I see this thing:

Grips may be detachable, shape may be different etc (including a dead area for front facing camera as per the "leaked" image)

This is a good post, with a screen like this you are not obscuring the 16:9 part of the display.

Farsi

Well, I feel like the only person in the world that likes this. The entire face screen with floating buttons is cool.

Really cool, I like it alot too esp if it has grips. Sucks for smash but it'll probably have a classic controller option.

GDGAF has been really negative at everything lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom