• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2016 papers and presentations

dr_rus

Since there is no "GDC 2016 OT" I thought it would be a good idea to make this thread to share whatever papers, presentations, photos, etc. may come from the event.

The first one I have is from Remedy on porting their Northlight engine used in Quantum Break to DX12: Developing The Northlight Engine: Lessons Learned (25MB download)

And to copy the yesterday news from Pascal thread: NV is planning to publish the source code for several GameWorks libraries on GitHub soon: NVIDIA announces GameWorks SDK 3.1
NVIDIA makes source code for select GameWorks libraries available to developers via GitHub. Source code for NVIDIA Volumetric Lighting and NVIDIA’s FaceWorks demo is available today. Source code for NVIDIA HairWorks, NVIDIA HBAO+ and NVIDIA WaveWorks will be available soon.

Danlord

Nvidia releasing source-code for some of their Gameworks stuff definitely flew under the radar for me, that is awesome news. I wonder if AMD's GPUOpen pushed Nvidia to respond. Whatever the case, this must be amazing news for developers.

e: Can't wait to read through the Star Wars Battlefront photogrammetry paper when its published.

Kezen

Banned
Nvidia releasing source-code for some of their Gameworks stuff definitely flew under the radar for me, that is awesome news. I wonder if AMD's GPUOpen pushed Nvidia to respond. Whatever the case, this must be amazing news for developers.

e: Can't wait to read through the Star Wars Battlefront photogrammetry paper when its published.

I think AMD's initiative and the positive response from developpers must have weighed heavily in Nvidia's decision.

Since there is no "GDC 2016 OT" I thought it would be a good idea to make this thread to share whatever papers, presentations, photos, etc. may come from the event.

The first one I have is from Remedy on porting their Northlight engine used in Quantum Break to DX12: Developing The Northlight Engine: Lessons Learned (25MB download)

And to copy the yesterday news from Pascal thread: NV is planning to publish the source code for several GameWorks libraries on GitHub soon: NVIDIA announces GameWorks SDK 3.1

YES!

Thx for the thread

Kezen

Banned
lCQybOj.png

Kezen

Banned
Shit they were not kidding when they said DX12 is a low level API.

Sleepless nights ahead for devs wishing to exploit DX12.

Edit :
Tiled resources can now be used on 3D assets, and grant “extreme” performance and memory saving benefits.
Maybe this will help keeping VRAM requirements in line.

_machine

Shit they were not kidding when they said DX12 is a low level API.

Sleepless nights ahead for devs wishing to exploit DX12.
The writing has been on the wall for a while now, but I still find it a bit worrying when the industry is already having a tough time managing technical scope.

Lots of great stuff already (especially from what I've heard from friends over there) and I do think there's lots of amazing technology coming up this generation. As a product person, it's a mixed bag as I would rather see stability and stagnation over risk, and potential gains, but at least it's exciting times.

dr_rus

GDC 2016: Imagination Demonstrates PowerVR Vulkan SDK & PowerVR Ray Tracing
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHfJuRFF1s

Details about NVIDIA's GameWorks 3.1 Update...
Some more info on the new Gameworks SDK including this on the sources release:
NVIDIA has also announced plans, albeit not at GDC, to release the source for HairWorks, HBAO+, and WaveWorks. Again, they are not ready to announce a timeline yet, but their intentions have been declared. In fact, they intend to open up “most or all technologies over time.” This is promising because, while registered developers can access source code privately, the community at large benefits when the public gains access. They say that they do not want to open up projects until they've matured, and that makes sense. Both Mozilla and The Khronos Group do the same, holding some projects to their chest until they believe they are ready for the public.
I guess this is the place the sources will be published: https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/

A demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-E43mTBQBM

PhysX-GRB is actually a big deal: GDC 2016: PhysX GPU Rigid Body and NVIDIA Flow

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Liking this Multi-GPU and Multi-GPU Afinity APIs by Valve. Give me a damn good reason to go SLI in VR. Please devs take advantage of this shit!
Edit: Adaptive Render system taking advantage of multi-GPU setups...sounds neat if it works properly. Not much higher performance per say, but a higher fidelity. Interesting way of approaching this.

Man

Fixed foveated rendering sounds like the same as Nvidias multi-res-shading and Sony's variable resolution patenter methods.
Edit: they are actually using Nvidias functionality.

Blanquito

Fixed foveated rendering is just having the center of each eye higher quality, and doesn't change depending on where your eyes are actually looking, right?

Do you spend a majority of your time looking at the center of screen, and using your head to look around? If so, that seems like a decent solution to reduce resources required.

Top Bottom