• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

Why are people so surprised about 720p/30fps? Just look at the game, it's gorgeous. Then compare it to some other games on Xbone. Yeah, this really wasn't a surprise.

No wonder MS wants to release these games on PC as well. I just wish all the best to Remedy (I'm Finnish too). I hope they won't crash and burn now.

Hoje0308

Banned
The Order does indeed have the pixel density (and the clarity it provides) of a 1080p game, but the GPU isn't handling the strain of 1080p. Can we stop now? Please?

DOWN

Banned
It's probably the best looking game on Bone despite the shadows and blurriness and environments but it's not competing for best graphics overall based on the Xbox One videos so I'm not sure why I see all the Order chat
Dem shadows

yca9YCU3B7CUw.gif
lordt

Only focusing on the negatives? That is something.

I'd forgotten what DF threads are like when there's an exclusive being talked about.

I don't think anyone's doubting the effects work and overall image quality. Being 720p/30 in 2016 isn't something that can be ignored, though, as that's probably one of the single biggest reasons why it's able to pull off those effects.

No I don't. It's 1920x800. That is what is being rendered by the GPU. Not Filmed and then converted into an aspect ratio. The aspect ratio in the order comes because the render is 1920x800.

It isn't being rendered in 1920x1080 and then converted into 1920x800, that would just be stupid.

1080p is a 16:9 aspect ratio. 1920x1080.

Nope. 1080p means 1080 horizontal lines displayed progressively rather than interlaced. Most people presume you're talking about a 16:9 aspect ratio, but it isn't defined as one. Again, common usage is that it means 1920 x 1080, but *technically* it refers to any resolution with 1080 horizontal lines.

The Order is 2K. But not 1080p. Games with horizontal scaling are 1080p but not 2K.

That's why terms like 2K and 1080p are pretty poor short hands for resolutions.

Only focusing on the negatives? That is something.

I'd forgotten what DF threads are like when there's an exclusive being talked about.

Everyone who has fully read the article is still unclear about that. Hopefully Remedy will respond. But whatever the answer to that, even if only specific effects are at 720p they're destroying the detail of the final image to the point where pixel counting adds up to 720p.

Keep fighting the good fight

vpance

The Order does indeed have the pixel density (and the clarity it provides) of a 1080p game, but the GPU isn't handling the strain of 1080p. Can we stop now? Please?

Well it does use costly 4xMSAA, and the game's framerate is pretty rock solid. RAD CTO says they couldve hit full 1080p screen with 2x as well

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No I don't. It's 1920x800. That is what is being rendered by the GPU. Not Filmed and then converted into an aspect ratio. The aspect ratio in the order comes because the render is 1920x800.

It isn't being rendered in 1920x1080 and then converted into 1920x800, that would just be stupid.

1080p is a 16:9 aspect ratio. 1920x1080.

Dude do you understand that it is exactly the same pixel density meaning that If I take a square of 1% of the screen and count all the pixels in it, it'll have exactly the same number of pixels than a 1080p picture.
If you can't understand that then maybe you should learn a bit on the technical and mathematical side.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nope. 1080p means 1080 horizontal lines displayed progressively rather than interlaced. Most people presume you're talking about a 16:9 aspect ratio, but it isn't defined as one. Again, common usage is that it means 1920 x 1080, but *technically* it refers to any resolution with 1080 horizontal lines.

The Order is 2K. But not 1080p. Games with horizontal scaling are 1080p but not 2K.

It's really all semantics. The reason why lower resolutions are viewed as sub-optimal is due to display scaling which destroys pixel quality. The Order does not scale and therefore skirts this issue completely. That's the only reason why anyone should have issues with lower resolutions.

With the right monitor, 640x480 can still look great but scale that up on a 1080p fixed pixel display and it's ugly unless scaled exactly twice in each direction with nearest neighbor.

LostDonkey

So it's not 1080p?

Hoje0308

Banned
Well it does use costly 4xMSAA, and the game's framerate is pretty rock solid. RAD CTO says they couldve hit full 1080p screen with 2x as well

That doesn't change the fact that they're able to use that costly 4xMSAA because of the extra GPU headroom afforded by the 1920x800 resolution, as your own post indicates.

Whether or not it is 720p is almost acamedic in that it comes up at 720p in pixel counts.

Indeed.

The end result is what counts. It's much softer than I prefer, but overall I think it still looks good. I'll be playing it on PC anyways if I can comfortably run it at 1080p and 40 + FPS because all else equal I'll always take 1080p over something lower.

Keep fighting the good fight

It's been a while since someone has inferred that I'm an MS fanboy.

TSM

Dude do you understand that it is exactly the same pixel density meaning that If I take a square of 1% of the screen and count all the pixels in it, it'll have exactly the same number of pixels than a 1080p picture.
If you can't understand that then maybe you should learn a bit on the technical and mathematical side.

The game is 1080p native, but it's only using 1920x800 pixels of the frame buffer.

The whole thing is silly. I've been playing Twilight Princess lately. Either the game is 1080p or the resolution drops to 1920x800 every time a cut scene occurs. Anyone that thinks the resolution drops during cut scenes should reexamine their logic.

gafneo

Banned
No kidding its 720p. How do people expect high end graphics without compromise? Comes with a free PC version for people who whine about graphics. Still unhappy? Wow

gamz

Here it is running at the intended speed, not under the microscope

ezgif_4283277638.gif

Is this worthy of criticism? Not a rhetorical question, I see some being okay with it, not noticing it and some being distracted negatively.

But my eyes see in 50% speed bro. ; -)

jelly

Have shadows ever looked good on consoles?

It's one of those next gen, I hope this changes aspects but never does.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So it's not 1080p?

Well this post argue more on the semantical side of the question it's like saying the game is 1920 but not 1080 due solely to the black bars.

You have the exact same pixel density but the black bars are not counted therefore it is 1920x800

If you add the black bars it gives you 1920x1080.

LostDonkey

It's really all semantics. The reason why lower resolutions are viewed as sub-optimal is due to display scaling which destroys pixel quality. The Order does not scale and therefore skirts this issue completely. That's the only reason why anyone should have issues with lower resolutions.

With the right monitor, 640x480 can still look great but scale that up on a 1080p fixed pixel display and it's ugly unless scaled exactly twice in each direction with nearest neighbor.

I mean you do pixel counting for a job. In your opinion is the order 1080p or is it not?

Not to derail the thread, but just for my own information I would like to know. I've seen a lot of reasoning trying to say it is, but it's 800...it can't be 1080.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The game is 1080p native, but it's only using 1920x800 pixels of the frame buffer.

The whole thing is silly. I've been playing Twilight Princess lately. Either the game is 1080p or the resolution drops to 1920x800 every time a cut scene occurs. Anyone that thinks the resolution drops during cut scenes should reexamine their logic.

That's exactly what I'm saying it's the exact same pixel density as 1080p.

Gurish

DF are praising the game looks, Dark here think it's the best looking game on XB1, why we aren't focusing on this game's achievements at least as much as we focus on this game's flaws?

You aren't really a tech lover if all you do is repeat 720P!!1 and not giving credit and admiring the good things as well.

I'm not telling you to ignore this number but at least give Remedy credit about some of their achievements with this game, the crazy effects, the geometry transformations, the fidelity in general, many cool shit in this game.

LostDonkey

Well this post argue more on the semantical side of the question it's like saying the game is 1920 but not 1080 due solely to the black bars.

You have the exact same pixel density but the black bars are not counted therefore it is 1920x800

If you add the black bars it gives you 1920x1080.

Add the black bars? What?

The GPU isn't rendering black bars, they are there because it ISN'T rendering.

I don't disagree. I was just trying to tell someone who was saying the Order was 1080p that we weren't able to agree on a consensus about that every time it came up before. Because the answer is yes or no depending on whether or not you're using 1080p in the sense your average person on the street uses, or 1080p in it's technical definition.

The Order like you say is 1 pixel to 1 pixel, no scaling required. But is it 1080p? Yes and no. So rather than arguing about that, I think we should just say the order is 1920 x 800 or whatever. Because there's no room for confusion there.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i figured that the huge number of volumetric effects and extensive use of alpha didn't come for free, given how bw limited we know xbone to be. disappointing but hardly remedy's fault that ms didn't build a capable machine.

gamz

i figured that the huge number of volumetric effects and extensive use of alpha didn't come for free, given how bw limited we know xbone to be. disappointing but hardly remedy's fault that ms didn't build a capable machine.

BUT! To MS credit you can play it on PC and that's pretty damn cool.

Edit: It's cross buy right? If you buy it on X1 the PC is free, right?

zsynqx

DF are praising the game looks, Dark here think it's the best looking game on XB1, why we aren't focusing on this game's achievements at least as much as we focus on this game's flaws?

You aren't really a tech lover if all you do is repeat 720P!!1 and not giving credit and admiring the good things as well.

I'm not telling you to ignore this number but at least give Remedy credit about some of their achievements with this game, the crazy effects, the geometry transformations, the fidelity in general, many cool shit in this game.

Are you surprised?

The game looks amazing, even at 720p.

Not at all. Many games drop resolution during cutscenes to use higher quality effects or assets. Some do that with black bars. Some do it with lower resolution framebuffers.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Add the black bars? What?

The GPU isn't rendering black bars, they are there because it ISN'T rendering.

You got to stop with those bars it's like the tree hidding the forrest for you.

YES it does not render those black bars but if those bars weren't there what's inbetween them would look exactly the same.

Do you get that ?It wouldn't change anything because between those bars the game has the exact same pixel density that 1080p.

gamz

But it's definitely Remedy's fault for not targeting the console they're building an exclusive for!

Eh. That's fine. I'd rather have it overly ambitious and skimp on specs then not. And the games does look freaking amazing still.

They also built it for PC, soooo.....

Can someone dig out when people were taking screenshots of a tractors textures in Alan wake. The thing was in a field and people were zooming in on this bad texture on a tractor. I'll never forget that. There were people saying they would never play a game with textures that bad in whatever year it was.

I feel like this thread could go the same way lol

Looking forward to Qb on my pc or bone. Whatever I feel to play on thanks to cross save :)

LostDonkey

You got to stop with those bars it's like the tree hidding the forrest for you.

YES it does not render those black bars but if those bars weren't there what's inbetween them would look exactly the same.

Do you get that ?It wouldn't change anything because between those bars the game has the exact same pixel density that 1080p.

The black bars ARE there though. You can't say that if they weren't there....that's a ridiculous argument.

The final image is 1920x800. That is what is being rendered by the GPU. It is not 1080p.

You can't then say but yeah if this and if that...wtf

That's like me saying my car has a 2.0l engine, but if that empty space in the engine bay wasn't there, it would be the same capacity as a 3.0l engine, so it's really a 3.0l engine....

Lack of 1080p doesn't bother me too much.

I will probably pick up an xboxone just for this game. It looks fantastic to me. I love games like Alan Wake that try to be really narrative and gameplay based. And they do stories really well. I'm also a sucker for time travel tales.

I just hope the framerate dips aren't too bad. That can be annoying and take you out of the game. 1080p is really nice, but if the game is good you don't notice 720p at all. But framerate dips are always jarring and take you out.

Top Bottom