• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Episode Pack(Live Action Show), 75GB download on Xbox One

Ban Puncher

Will never understand why Australia's internet is so fucked

Because conservative government says "it is good enough" and "building new infrastructure is too expensive".

Then they take helicopters to the corner shop for some milk and do wrestling table spots on tax payer funded furniture in their offices.

Don't expect to easily replay any current gen games in 20 years. With DRM, patches and content updates, it'll probably be near impossible.

Well I have avoided buying many games that I'm actually really interested in and want to support if they lock features behind a theoretically timed online connection. Aka R6 siege, the crew, plants vs zombies, hitman, etc

As for games with day 1 patches they are still playable

I played through the entirety of AC unity without a single patch. There were issues but I got the experience

I'll take some jank over a connection failed screen

BTW I love remedy and applaud them doing new things

But I'm on the "should have been a 2ND blu ray" camp

I'm big into game preservation and nostalgia

Caayn

2ms ping? wtf. Do you live inside a server or something.
The benefit of having fibre ;)

5196879780.png

I really can't imagine it being anything like that. I never got the impression you were changing whole episodes of the show by your actions, just short scenes here and there. I'd be very surprised if we saw anything beyond the level of branching you'd see in a Telltale game or Life is Strange; you can make a few choices but ultimately the story's pretty much set.

It is actually like that and there are over 40 variants, but no, we have never said it's a "choose your own adventure", it's definitely not branching like that. So episodes might have one or two short new scenes compared to another version, but that necessitates another version of that episode...hence streaming.

This just seems like a huge hassle. Why couldn't they just do it in-game? Isn't that why we have faster processors right now, so movie files aren't necessary? Some odd design choices

Because we like live action since the first Max Payne. Because the show is from the perspective of the villains so using another medium made sense to differentiate it.

Also, animating a 20 cut-scene with lighting, vfx, all of that...that would have been beyond us really, that would have taken massive amount of resources. I dont think a 20 minute animted in-game cut-scene showing whats up at Monarch Solutions would have really worked.

big_z

they should encode it at iTunes settings. its not bluray quality but good enough for a vast majority of people without taking up much space.

or use x265 if the xbox can handle it.

nib95

Banned
RiotPelaaja, what is the total mb size of all the high quality stream content, and is there no way at all that streaming quality of video could have fitted on to the disk to avoid streaming altogether? I appreciate having high quality video download options, but I just wonder why a lower quality version of all live action video couldn't have been on the disc itself. This would have also helped in terms of preservation for playing many years from now on any new system.

prudislav

Awesome, but please Remedy give this choice on PC too, I wanna play the game there

well 1080p eps have 75GB ... so the 4K PC ones would eat my HDD for a breakfast ..... also my internet connection will scream in pain while streaming those 4K ones :-(

mcrommert

Banned
I'm Aussie too. Besides the upload my net isn't too bad, I think (hope)?. The download speeds can hit 110 but I'm downloading Sunset overdrive at the moment. Will download these after I am done with that.

But that upload

I mean I'm in an area with good internet...but they are matched...and I could get 500/500 but I get about 85/85 now

5196928007.png

Zedox

RiotPelaaja, what is the total mb size of all the high quality stream content, and is there no way at all that streaming quality of video could have fitted on to the disk to avoid streaming altogether? I appreciate having high quality video download options, but I just wonder why a lower quality version of all live action video couldn't have been on the disc itself. This would have also helped in terms of preservation for playing many years from now on any new system.

Because it puts a precedent on the quality of your product.

Genio88

well 1080p eps have 75GB ... so the 4K PC ones would eat my HDD for a breakfast ..... also my internet connection will scream in pain while streaming those 4K ones :-(

They're doing this wrong indeed, they should give more choices, instead of giving just one 75gb pack we should be able to choose if we want those episode in 1080p, 720p or even 480p, so that people could choose based on their space/connections

nib95

Banned
Because it puts a precedent on the quality of your product.

I don't know what you mean by this. It puts a precedent either way if people don't download the higher quality versions, or simply don't know to. Else they're stuck with streaming which will not only already be lower quality, but means having to be online and risk any potential connectivity or bandwidth issues. If the stream quality version wasn't such as massive file size, it would have made far more sense to just squeeze it on the disc to avoid any potential further inconvenience. Plus people still have the higher quality download option if they want it.

But that upload

I mean I'm in an area with good internet...but they are matched...and I could get 500/500 but I get about 85/85 now
I think thats just how most australian net is. I never been able to get internet with good upload speed and i have tried 5 plus providers in a few locations. Sucks, but thats what we have to deal with i guess.

Sulik2

Will never understand why Australia's internet is so fucked

Its an island in the middle of the pacific. They have to run undersea cables to get there and Australia is huge land mass to cover with internet once it gets there. Both of which make it difficult to get internet. Australia is a country that would really benefit from the low earth satellite internet idea that is kicking around.

Chucker

120gb not including the patch. Rural folks going to wait 2 weeks before they can play this game lol

I live on an island that doesn't have any of the big name broadband companies but I pay $50 a month for 115m down.
They're giving the option. Afraid your internet is going to crap out? Going on a trip and won't have online access? Download it.
Think it won't? Don't.

They can't win.

Simply not enough space on the disc. Like I've said before, it's not like Remedy and Microsoft didnt discuss at length what the best options are, but there's always pros and cons to each solution and lots of development variables that I cannot get into.

Zedox

I don't know what you mean by this. It puts a precedent either way if people don't download the higher quality versions, or simply don't know to. Else they're stuck with streaming which will not only already be lower quality, but means having to be online and risk any potential connectivity or bandwidth issues. If the stream quality version wasn't such as massive file size, it would have made far more sense to just squeeze it on the disc to avoid any potential further inconvenience. Plus people still have the higher quality download option if they want it.

I think giving the option of downloading all the way down to 480p would be wise. But bundling your product with 480p video doesn't give a good precedent on the quality of your product. The streaming option would be fine I'm presuming because it would be up to the person's streaming ability to get higher quality output, not on them. Many people do stream video so it makes sense that way than to bundle your software with a low quality video. The internet is only going to get faster and better, not die out.

Also, the game is already 45.5 GB in size. How low quality of a image do you think will fit into the rest of the disc? You already know how people act if something is not high quality (900p vs. 1080p), but you want low quality video to a big part of their presentation because of potential bandwidth and connectivity issues when a lot of people already using streaming services? It just seems to that it would dumb down how people would perceive their product.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a low quality option to download, but I do think that streaming it and not bundling it is a good compromise (granted I wish it was apart of the initial disc/download option as well, so I totally get where you are coming from).

--------

Edit: RiotPelaaja answered it.

nib95

Banned
Simply not enough space on the disc. Like I've said before, it's not like Remedy and Microsoft didnt discuss at length what the best options are, but there's always pros and cons to each solution and lots of development variables that I cannot get into.

Fair enough. Just gotta make sure the streaming and servers are working on launch day! :p It would be real awkward if loads of people are playing it for the first time but can't load those live action scenes because of external issues or whatever.

I'd absolutely love if you could somehow convince Microsoft and your team to allow the HQ stream version (or a generally more file size conscious version) to be downloaded in full. Just so the file size is a little less crazy so we can download quicker, use up less storage on our systems, and avoid streaming.

Teletraan1

Banned
I believe the Xbox One still has an issue with recognizing two discs for one game. Similar reason as to why Halo MCC required a large "patch".

Anyway, I've downloaded games bigger than this so I have no problem with it.

I... don't understand. This is simply an option and not a requirement. There's a decent amount of XB1 console exclusives that have been good.

Both "options" consume people's bandwidth. It is absolutely shitty for people with caps. When you buy a game on disc you should get everything necessary to run the game and all it entails on the disc. 20GB patches are bullshit too. Just because they "got away" with it in the past shouldn't create some situation where it is now OK. PS1 could recognize multiple discs for a game over 20 years ago. MS really needs to get on the ball with fixing basic features rather than a bunch of superfluous UI updates that check PR boxes.

How many hours is it roughly? Seems a little extreme unless they're already using 5-7gb an hour and it's many hours.

5196978251.png

Upload has always been cack.

Ricky_R

It's a huge file, there's no way around it, but I would download it no issues, even with my shitty connection.

Hopefully they can let people pre-load it a week in advance (at least). That would resolve most of the issues.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It's a huge file, there's no way around it, but I would download it no issues, even with my shitty connection.

Hopefully they can let people pre-load it a week in advance (at least). That would resolve most of the issues.

If you preorder, you can preload it now. At least mine is downloading as I type this.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I'm actually okay with this. I don't have time for 50+ hours of open world games. I rather have a shorter period of quality gameplay.

I do not want 50 hours but I do not want 4 hour games either. I was hoping this will be a 12-14 hour game excluding the cutscenes. This is super disappointing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ez my internet not even gonna break a sweat.

5196421817.png

Holy shit how is 88 Minutes of footage so damn big

On the 7th day, he actually created Google Fiber!
Morgan+freeman+everybody+bow+down_0eed0a_3848311.jpg

Seriously, is MS doing *anything* right this gen when it comes to exclusives? Every game starts with so much expectations and near release they always manage to fuck something up, often essential things. People just observing this scratch their head how people in charge are responsible for this continued mess and how bad they handle social media the whole gen.

Inject some live action slowly, then a little more, then 2/3 will be live action, then 90%, then they have their TV TV TV. ;P

prudislav

i guess with the 4k quality stream on PC it will be just 2 hours gameplay and the 4 hours of waiting for the stream to work fluid with my current connection and download cap

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Seriously, is MS doing *anything* right this gen when it comes to exclusives? Every game starts with so much expectations and near release they always manage to fuck something up, often essential things. People just observing this scratch their head how people in charge are responsible for this continued mess and how bad they handle social media the whole gen.

All of this wrapped in a 4 hour game is irritating to say the least. Talk about wrong priorities. Why would anyone release a AAA shooting game that has only 4 hours of gameplay. All these resources and budget hiring these actors could have gone into making more cool gameplay sequences. :(

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
All of this wrapped in a 4 hour game is irritating to say the least. Talk about wrong priorities. Why would anyone release a AAA shooting game that has only 4 hours of gameplay. All these resources and budget hiring these actors could have gone into making more cool gameplay sequences. :(

4hr gameplay? Where is this coming from?

RPGam3r

Guess I'm passing on this game, literally blocked me out with making it too damn big and not putting it on disc. Lame.

cakely

So, if you're going digital, it's a 120GB download for an eight-and-a-half hour game. That's brutal.

So, what's happening here? Is Microsoft saving some money by not putting a second blu-ray with the movies on it in the box?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So, if you're going digital, it's a 120GB download for an eight-and-a-half hour game. That's brutal.

So, what's happening here? Is Microsoft saving some money by not putting a second blu-ray with the movies on it in the box?

You can stream the videos if you don't want to download all the video data so it's not 120GB.

generic_username

4hr gameplay? Where is this coming from?

Not starting a new thread for this but someone on a french forum seems to have leaked play times.

According to him, including the live action in every playthrough :

-His first play through took him 8h15 while exploring and searching for a maximum of objects (i don't know what he refers to)
-His second playthrough took him : 6h45-7h while making different choices. He spent a bit of time looking for other objects.
-Third playthrough : he rushed and it took him 6h. He made the choices so he'd have the storyline he liked the most.

Also according to him, QB is a game you have to play 2-3 times to be able to see everything. More is useless, but once is stupid. (his words)

Source : He deleted his post but it was quoted in the thread.

This includes the multiple 20 minute live action cutscenes.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Ok. If you download the game, and then choose to download the episode pack, it's 120GB for an eight-and-a-half hour game. That's still brutal.

Well if you're bandwidth sensitive you don't have to download it all. If you aren't, then it really isn't brutal unless you're hard up for HDD space, and digital people likely have externals HDDs. There is nothing "brutal" about the ability to preload the video content. That option is clearly proconsumer.

Top Bottom