• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valouris

What tangible benefits has x86 brought the end user in PS4 and X1? There were so many "it is going to be so much easier to x now!" around when they came out, and I'm not sure anything came of it. Easier ports?

The best thing to come out of it imo is having many many more PC ports, and of higher quality.

atbigelow

You posted Android Studio, an IDE. Android Studio wasn't originally even included in the Android SDK. You usually download an IDE+SDK, but I highly doubt Nintendo has their own IDE. Even Android used IntelliJ for quite some time.

Sony's SDK is usually used with VisualStudio. Want to post that as well?

You're right that years ago Android Studio (AS) wouldn't come with the SDK (which would be hard since it didn't exist).

But these days, Android development is linked considerably with AS. The SDK management and development experience is driven entirely through AS. Your point is still not wrong, as not every dev environment has such tight coupling. But Android is no longer an example of such.

BTW, AS is still built from IntelliJ.

Pokemaniac

It's not fun to talk and I leaked details on the cpu twice, cube/wii. People don't want to listen to truth and worse yet harp on useless points that don't help nintendo historically.

1. Nintendo needs a real unified sdk, period, If they can't do what Sony/MS is doing in terms of an easy to work arechitecture with and good tools they really can get the hell out of the industry. Not being nice anymore grow up or get the hell out at this point. Even AMD has contributed to this discussion if we are talk about api or sdks.

2. A respectable online store and online platform, if it's still behind PSN,XBL or Steam it's fucking joke and everyone involved with the process should be fired. The company is just leaving money on the table and keep consumers away who have unaminously agreed on how online gaming and stores should be. If the UI or features suck again people should be fired and if the CEO is in the way again the dicussion of this company is to put someone at helm who can needs to happen.

3. The power should be there. There is no cost argument to them not having anything respectable when it comes to ram, cpu or gpu power. It is almost 3 years out from launch of X1/PS4.and the power gap between them and even mid range pc can't be anymore clear, especially with certain DX12 game showing the API and ones like it are the future in heavy intense scenes or adding more complexity. Yet so far I'm saying this and I've asked my same source as I've done for 3 gens now, it's barely enough they can do more. I say this having OC'ed various amd and intel cpus getting them at less than 180$ a few years back, both my 3570 and 8350 are now becoming sluggish. Putting in a cheap ass cpu does no good and if the company hope to do any BC right this is a requirement as well. Other devs can't say it so I fucking will go home nintendo. It's servicable at best and I know it for a fact this system is another good mid range pc if we had to compare to something not even a high end mid range pc. If this thing cost more than 350$ it joke but it's nintendo so I know 400$ price tag will have certain people eating it up. Problem is this is what the damn WiiU should've been all along. Don't worry only a few more weeks before the truth is out but I'm shitting on nintendo now, not when they want to control this.

They aren't there on any of my points I'd rather use uplay than any nintendo online platform. EA is origin is miles better as steamshits on origin to me. Get someone who knows what they are doing on tech and good software aspects for non related game aspects this company is garbage and needs fresh blood with some skill and vision.

If I'm reading this right, you're basically saying it's slightly above/same ballpark as PS4 and Xbone?

Either that, or your comparisons are a bit inconsistent.

ekim

Shitty cpu is all I'm telling since that's all I tend to get the skinny on. The rest was typical hearsay that's been rolling around. I think nintendo could do better on ram and cpu the system would be golden. When it comes to the hardware I'm vouching for it.

The rest like sdk and online is hearsay considering some could have better versions than others. I think it's lacking, have said as much on nintendo platforms before and not a single source people publically have access too or myself can get a clear picture. That alone is a red flag and it should be called out. Whether it's the performance or the UI of online nintendo it's still not good. No one hides anything good, there's little reason too unless you're nintendo.

MS took it on the chin for all the BS of X1 its time people with far more precise knowledge start shitting on nintendo in my opinion, but they can't cause NDAs. This company secrecy gambit shit has run out my paitence considering it's backfired for 4 gens. Hide games history has been clear on gimmicks they do little to help out in the long run. This one area not rumoring it and after the controller thread I figure I will do something real to steer the discussion where it should go. That's a real point to harp on nintendo with and guess what anyone asking to verify what I mentioned won't get a single straight answer from nintendo cause they know it's fact.

Damn. Are we talking PS4/XB1 ballpark of crap CPU? And with your knowledge (if your source is trustworthy) the rumor in the OP is basically debunked. lol

Instro

Shitty cpu is all I'm telling since that's all I tend to get the skinny on. The rest was typical hearsay that's been rolling around. I think nintendo could do better on ram and cpu the system would be golden. When it comes to the hardware I'm vouching for it.

Would you be able to expand on the CPU/RAM situation, maybe in comparison to current gen? Like, when you say shitty CPU, do you mean it's shitty like the current crop of consoles, or is it sub PS4/XBO?

You're right that years ago Android Studio (AS) wouldn't come with the SDK (which would be hard since it didn't exist).

But these days, Android development is linked considerably with AS. The SDK management and development experience is driven entirely through AS. Your point is still not wrong, as not every dev environment has such tight coupling. But Android is no longer an example of such.

BTW, AS is still built from IntelliJ.

My point is that the SDK and IDE are still two different things. They're just being coupled strongly now, as you have said.

Also, this is Google we are talking about here. Nintendo won't develop their own IDE skin.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Wow. Garbage? That seems really harsh. Nintendo still make some of the best games in the gaming industry. Hardly garbage. Most of us want an uber powerful Nintendo console, but jeez.

So what, this isn't a discussion of their profit or the quality of their work and if you look at my history I side with them plenty of the time, This is a discussion of them having a healthy platform that other people in the industry want to be involved with.

I don't want an uber console believe me the fucking machine is far from being a good mid range as I just outlined. You don't need a lot of money for good performance yet this company is still behind period. The same can be said for crap software be it SDK, engine designs which power is needed for, bc needs power in the right spot, and having a respectable online platform.

To single out my argument for one point when I talked about 3 unique ones two which cover their software problems has me laughing.

atbigelow

My point is that the SDK and IDE are still two different things. They're just being coupled strongly now, as you have said.

Also, this is Google we are talking about here. Nintendo won't develop their own IDE skin.

You're right and never said you weren't. I also really doubt Nintendo would make their own IDE. I was just more bothered you used the old Android devtools vs the newer hotness. :)

Instro

Wow. Garbage? That seems really harsh. Nintendo still make some of the best games in the gaming industry. Hardly garbage. Most of us want an uber powerful Nintendo console, but jeez.

While I agree about their software, their hardware, and related decisions, have certainly been garbage for a while now.

Malus

3. The power should be there. There is no cost argument to them not having anything respectable when it comes to ram, cpu or gpu power. It is almost 3 years out from launch of X1/PS4.and the power gap between them and even mid range pc can't be anymore clear, especially with certain DX12 game showing the API and ones like it are the future in heavy intense scenes or adding more complexity. Yet so far I'm saying this and I've asked my same source as I've done for 3 gens now, it's barely enough they can do more. I say this having OC'ed various amd and intel cpus getting them at less than 180$ a few years back, both my 3570 and 8350 are now becoming sluggish. Putting in a cheap ass cpu does no good and if the company hope to do any BC right this is a requirement as well. Other devs can't say it so I fucking will go home nintendo. It's servicable at best and I know it for a fact this system is another good mid range pc if we had to compare to something not even a high end mid range pc. If this thing cost more than 350$ it joke but it's nintendo so I know 400$ price tag will have certain people eating it up. Problem is this is what the damn WiiU should've been all along. Don't worry only a few more weeks before the truth is out but I'm shitting on nintendo now, not when they want to control this.

So you're saying it's around XB1/PS4 in power :^)

I say this having OC'ed various amd and intel cpus getting them at less than 180$ a few years back, both my 3570 and 8350 are now becoming sluggish.

It's amazing that people think because they know how to build their own PC's that they have any idea about the R&D on what it takes to mass produce a console. Sorry, it takes more than knowing your way around pcpartpicker.com and googling how to overclock a cpu.

jjasso21

It will be great if all of this is true. After all, it is what everyone has been asking for. I just want them to have decent third-party support.

Vashetti

Banned
So what, this isn't a discussion of their profit or the quality of their work and if you look at my history I side with them plenty of the time, This is a discussion of them having a healthy platform that other people in the industry want to be involved with.

I don't want an uber console believe me the fucking machine is far from being a good mid range as I just outlined. You don't need a lot of money for good performance yet this company is still behind period. The same can be said for crap software be it SDK, engine designs which power is needed for, bc needs power in the right spot, and having a respectable online platform.

To single out my argument for one point when I talked about 3 unique ones two which cover their software problems has me laughing.

So, what I'm gleaning from your posts is that Ninty has cheaped out again?

What's with all these safe rumours. I could have told you guys this stuff last week. Wouldn't be backed up by anything but it would be right.

Nanashrew

Banned
So you're saying it's around XB1/PS4 in power :^)

Pretty much. The PS4 and Xbox One are in no way beasts at all. Period. They're going ARM and the current cheapest ARM that everything that uses ARM right this instant is on par with the current x86 processors. There's no way they would be getting the brand new one that comes out this very year.

It's ignorant to think they're cheapening out on a processor when the new one isn't even released and the current one out right now is the cheapest and the likeliest to be used.

ekim

Btw - have you been verified by a mod the last gens with your infos?

Banned
It's not fun to talk and I leaked details on the cpu twice, cube/wii. People don't want to listen to truth and worse yet harp on useless points that don't help nintendo historically.

1. Nintendo needs a real unified sdk, period, If they can't do what Sony/MS is doing in terms of an easy to work arechitecture with and good tools they really can get the hell out of the industry. Not being nice anymore grow up or get the hell out at this point. Even AMD has contributed to this discussion if we are talk about api or sdks.

2. A respectable online store and online platform, if it's still behind PSN,XBL or Steam it's fucking joke and everyone involved with the process should be fired. The company is just leaving money on the table and keep consumers away who have unaminously agreed on how online gaming and stores should be. If the UI or features suck again people should be fired and if the CEO is in the way again the dicussion of this company is to put someone at helm who can needs to happen.

They aren't there on any of my points I'd rather use uplay than any nintendo online platform. EA is origin is miles better as steamshits on origin to me. Get someone who knows what they are doing on tech and good software aspects for non related game aspects this company is garbage and needs fresh blood with some skill and vision.
I'm a Nintendo fan and can sometimes be on apologist or dreamer but I have to agree with you if true. It's time for Nintendo to shit or get off the pot. Put out a system that supports all the modern engines while outclassing the three year old consoles in every single way. There is no excuse. No gimmicks. They can't play this game where they think they're not in the same industry as Sony and Microsoft and aren't competing for the same audience. If they fuck up the NX just tucking go third party, since I buy their hardware for their games only. I wouldn't shed a tear if I never had a Nintendo console again as long as their games were available on other platforms like PC, PS, XB, etc.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Would you be able to expand on the CPU/RAM situation, maybe in comparison to current gen? Like, when you say shitty CPU, do you mean it's shitty like the current crop of consoles, or is it sub PS4/XBO?

I've stated before and since any specs were revealed this gen most would have shitty cpus this turned out to be true, so to be fair my own perspective is skewed.

amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U. All 3 of big 3 manufacturers got this issue wrong, yet I know next gen 2 of them won't cause they tend to do a decent job. Nintendo isn't impressing anyone.

Vague declarations of power wrapped up in an overserving of indignation and baseless speculation. And ya'll eating that shit up too. $400 Nintendo console ROFFLE. How many times are you people going to play yourselves?

E3 is like 2 months away, be strong.

Nanashrew

Banned
Claims of ARM processor and AMD talk and the newest processor isn't even on the market at all yet and the current ARM processor that is right now is on par with x86 processors right now.

Pokemaniac

I've stated before and since any specs were revealed this gen most would have shitty cpus this turned out to be true, so to be fair my own perspective is skewed.

amd 8350 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U. All 3 of big 3 manufacturers got this issue wrong, yet I know next gen 2 of them won't cause they tend to do a decent job. Nintendo isn't impressing anyone.

Yeah, I figured you meant something like that.

MK_768

I guess I should be surprised that gaf people believe a "leak."

Speculating about a rumor is one thing. Taking a rumor and treating it as fact to just shit on Nintendo is just pathetic. There should be a little bit more intelligence here.

It's best to not listen to these "leakers" and just wait a bit. Of course it won't stop certain people from taking digs but what can you do.

diaspora

amd 8350 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U.
If Nintendo chooses to go with shorter iterative cycles like building a family of Android/iOS devices, I would be cautiously OK with this. Provided what you're giving us is genuine.

Nanashrew

Banned
If Nintendo chooses to go with shorter iterative cycles like building a family of Android/iOS devices, I would be cautiously OK with this. Provided what you're giving us is genuine.

Tech changes fast in 3 years time and I could see an upgrade every 3 years. I could also see the same from the others too.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I guess I should be surprised that gaf people believe a "leak."

Speculating about a rumor is one thing. Taking a rumor and treating it as fact to just shit on Nintendo is just pathetic. There should be a little bit more intelligence here.

It's best to not listen to these "leakers" and just wait a bit. Of course it won't stop certain people from taking digs but what can you do.

Done it before and don't do it often. I stated exactly why I entered the thread FUD and way too much hype.

Saying I'm shitting on on nintendo when history speaks otherwise says more about you actually knowing my own history on the subject of leaks here/b3d or how I tend to post in regards to nintendo. I'm speaking on one clear issue while saying the rest is a mess and there are no clear answer, I think most consumers would prefer nintendo to have a clue even MS had clue with X1 despite it being misguided.

Malus

I'm a Nintendo fan and can sometimes be on apologist or dreamer but I have to agree with you if true. It's time for Nintendo to shit or get off the pot. Put out a system that supports all the modern engines while outclassing the three year old consoles in every single way. There is no excuse. No gimmicks. They can't play this game where they think they're not in the same industry as Sony and Microsoft and aren't competing for the same audience. If they fuck up the NX just tucking go third party, since I buy their hardware for their games only. I wouldn't shed a tear if I never had a Nintendo console again as long as their games were available on other platforms like PC, PS, XB, etc.

I want them to remain 1st party if only so that they continue funding Xenoblade and Platinum games for the sake of library diversity.

Also I still want my gimmicks.

Malus

amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U. All 3 of big 3 manufacturers got this issue wrong, yet I know next gen 2 of them won't cause they tend to do a decent job. Nintendo isn't impressing anyone.

I'll take that all day erry day.

It's kind of funny how your post is overall very negative but I'm cherrypicking the part I like and getting excited lol.

Watch the news sites pick up this rumor and go: NX MORE POWERFUL THAN PS4 HURRAH

TheJoRu

latest

Just a few more weeks of this, then hopefully Nintendo will say something at least a little bit substantial.

Asd202

So NX should be a little more powerful than PS4? Kinda weak as it's 3 year older, PS4K will declass it very fast.

Banned

I expected the CPU to be weaker than that but if Nintendo is going for iterative upgrades, that seems good enough for now. It's the GPU and RAM I want to see take significant leaps over the XB1 and PS4. Also, the PS4k will likely be a bit higher where you placed the NX in your scale so that's not too bad.

LCGeek

formerly sane

It's kind of funny how your post is overall very negative but I'm cherrypicking the part I like and getting excited lol.

It's negative on the platform cause nintendo isn't doing what 3rd parties want, which is where everything is really going to come to head with this system. I also know based on past experience enthusiasts will tear it up with unrealistic expectations. I'm checking them cause my cpu stats are modest compared to people literally wanting OC i7 like performance which no console maker is doing soon.

Asd202

Watch the news sites pick up this rumor and go: NX MORE POWERFUL THAN PS4 HURRAH

Not when Sony announces PS4K all that momentum down the drain.

-Horizon-

Then hopefully Nintendo has some fresh blood ready to start the NX 2 on better footing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom