• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

I think they'll either go edram@28nm or *takes a deep breath* go 1GB HBM. .. At least ps4k might use some.

I'd actually expect Nintendo to use HBM before Sony. GDDR5X should provide enough bandwidth for PS4K while allowing Sony to stick with a single memory pool.

Low demand for edram is apparently a factor, but both intel and IBM make fairly good use of the tech, so it's more a matter of product justification. I think nintendo are perfectly capable of being a viable customer for the tech. Of course, the question remains if they would go TSMC over GloFo.

I would have expected MS to be a viable customer for eDRAM, though, yet we didn't see it in XBO (where it presumably would have been MS's first choice for on-die memory).

I'd also expect TSMC to be the most likely fab for a 28nm NX chip, given that they're fabbing both of AMD's existing console APUs, and Renesas have gone fabless from 28nm on, with TSMC as their main fabrication partner.

Jackano

I'd be shocked if Splatoon 2 isn't at least teased during the NX reveal and then released within the first year. They should have greenlit the sequel as soon as the game was released, and when the game was still topping the charts months later they should pretty much have dropped everything else and put every available resource into making sure they can get it out as early in the NX life as possible.

I vaguely remember a Miyamoto's quote where he was saying the next game in a new IP (and specifically Splatoon) shouldn't necessarily be the same thing.
I believe they have a new Splatoon game, but not the same 4vs4 online TPS game.

NeoGAF ninjas, what are the chances Nintendo themselves adopt/use Unreal Engine 4 for some of their i.p.s like Splatoon, Mario, Zelda? Man, those would look brilliant!
from what i've seen (people making Nintendo stuff in UNreal engines) was horrible. So i hope zero chance.

But maybe that were bad artists and bad artdirectors

So am I the only one left in this thread that now thinks the NX will be a single big-ass portable that uh... 'adequately absorbs the Wii U architecture'?
With alternative compatible systems of different forms, call them 'NY' and 'NZ' to follow in the years to come.
I think launching all these games that featured in the Wii U, now in a form you can use on the go, but also potentialy reverse the Wii U concept of second screen mode when you're at home would be pretty compelling, more compelling than just releasing another home console mainly stuffed with ports anyway. My only questions are about whether it's physically possible to pull off, and if so could the battery last longer than 3 hours please.

Peru

So am I the only one left in this thread that now thinks the NX will be a single big-ass portable that uh... 'adequately absorbs the Wii U architecture'?
With alternative compatible systems of different forms, call them 'NY' and 'NZ' to follow in the years to come.
I think launching all these games that featured in the Wii U, now in a form you can use on the go, but also potentialy reverse the Wii U concept of second screen mode when you're at home would be pretty compelling, more compelling than just releasing another home console mainly stuffed with ports anyway. My only questions are about whether it's physically possible to pull off, and if so could the battery last longer than 3 hours please.

Leaks suggest no. Iwata said 'no hybrid'. There's no reason to believe this will be "mainly stuffed with ports".

Kimawolf

Talking about racers, I would love Nintendo to dip a toe inside the rally genre. Nothing too complicated or sim like, just good old adrenaline inducing fast action with lots of vehicles around the world. To put the cherry on the top of it perhaps include a down to earth story mode about rivalry or a racing team seeking the glory of long but past days.
How about a revival of SEGA Rally? no? yes?

I'm so so sick of her and her leaks.

Hey Emily, how about you keep your dann mouth shut and don't make Nintendo-PR's job even harder than it already is, by deflating every announcement before it actually hits ?

We've gained literally nothing aside from knowing about what's going to happen a tiny bit earlier. Literally zero. In contrast knowing about Paper Mario and now some Zelda U details in advance will make the official announcement less impactful.
You are literally working against Nintendo's better interst, probably creating an atmosphere of distrust at Treehouse and just hindering their goals.

But your ego has to be stroked I guess.

Your source should be ashamed of themselves.

won't somebody please think of the children PR people.jpg
Blame Nintendo's shitty security and poor communication. Also nothing's confirmed yet.

Talking about racers, I would love Nintendo to dip a toe inside the rally genre. Nothing too complicated or sim like, just good old adrenaline inducing fast action with lots of vehicles around the world. To put the cherry on the top of it perhaps include a down to earth story mode about rivalry or a racing team seeking the glory of long but past days.

Excite Truck.
Anyhow, they need a racing game without Mario. That was always part of their console libraries, before the WiiU slog happened.

bachikarn

I think we will see a Splatoon port or sequel early on the NX. Like people have said, it had a lot of success and Nintendo would be smart to keep it going rather than waiting too long for a sequel.

Iwata said 'no hybrid'.

He didn't though, this is something I got carried along with too, but if you read the quotes, he said 'i'm not sure if it will be integrated' suggested that they could actually support more than 2 forms (which I am also suggesting) and conceded that, if the market decides they only want a single system, that's what they would do.

If other people agree with Iwata that they could support more two forms what do they envision for a third? For example Apple has iPhone, iPad, and Apple tv as iOS products. All I'm basically saying is launch 'iPad' first.

If the rumours are 4 ports at launch then yeah I would call Nintendo's launch lineup stuffed with ports, as they can't have an enormous number of original titles all at once. Not a criticism.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The only reason so many leaks have been happening lately is because Nintendo has been completely silent.

Many people are frustrated. They want to have an idea of what the console makers' plans for the year are so they can budget their time and money accordingly, and this holiday looks especially competitive with VR, potential upgraded hardware, and the inevitable price cuts. Sony and Microsoft have been communicating pretty clearly and have a fairly consistent lineup of games throughout the year.

With Nintendo, we know virtually nothing of their plans after June this year. And even then, we didn't know about anything past March until last month. This has been going on since E3 last year. With many people dissatisfied by their output in 2015 and 2016 and itching for news on what they have next, the lack of communication is beyond frustrating, and apparently even people on the inside are bugged by it (I think Trev's source said they did it as a way to kind of rebel against Nintendo's silence, or maybe that was speculation?).

That is why leaks are happening. Because Nintendo is not communicating with the people interested in buying their products, and these people are thirsty. It's a grey area, but that's what it comes down to.

Creating preconceived notions regarding upcoming games and hardware would happen anyway with things like Zelda. At the very least, if what Emily Rogers says is true, it gives us a clearer idea than what we had before and at least allows us to temper or adjust things.

Agreed with this. The leaks are like a few delicious drops of water in an otherwise barren desert.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can I say that I would find Super Mario Maker as a perfect game to bundle with all SKUs of the console / handheld / both?

AdanVC

Jesus, why all this talk about ports?? That scares me. I don't want NX to become a PS4. A console filled with ports and HD remasters :(

Jesus, why all this talk about ports?? That scares me. I don't want NX to become a PS4. A console filled with ports and HD remasters :(

The PS4 having lots of ports and remasters didn't stop it from receiving new games.

Seriously, all this remaster-doom might've been fair before E3 or TGS last year, but by now it's clear there's plenty both on the horizon and to catch up on.

NX receiving ports will not stop new games. It's just to plug in the gaps in schedules, to make waits for new games more easier, and to bring Wii U games to a new audience where people are more likely to experience them. I think it's a shame that the best Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and Smash Bros. games are locked to the worst-selling Nintendo console. I had an amazing time with them and am genuinely disappointed by how few people got the chance to enjoy how great they are. They absolutely deserve a fresh lease on life and to be experienced by more people, and ports are a great way to do that.

Also, considering just how amazingly-well the GTA, Last of Us, and Uncharted remasters sold and are still selling (that GTA/TLOU bundle in 2014 was HUGE), I think it seems reasonable to say there's a pretty big audience for them, and Nintendo would be wise to capitalize on that - lots of profit + audience happiness at minimal cost.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

I think some Wii U games are far to good to "die" on a console with such a small install base. I think BC will be way too costly to implement this time round. Therefore, ports make sense. (They did a similar thing on Wii with the New Play Control Gamecube games.)

i believe these ports are less less to make it an HD remaster box and more to give more people a chance to play some of the outstanding games on the wii U that they wouldnt get a chance to by not buying one.

it gives people that never got a wii u a chance to play games like Zelda Wii U, Splatoon, SMM, Pokken, ect.

i believe these ports are less less to make it an HD remaster box and more to give more people a chance to play some of the outstanding games on the wii U that they wouldnt get a chance to by not buying one.

it gives people that never got a wii u a chance to play games like Zelda Wii U, Splatoon, SMM, Pokken, ect.

More importantly, it lets them space out their other games. A launch with a Zelda and mario is all they need. Let ports and third party fill the rest. That way they can hopefully have a new game every 2 to 3 months after launch.

Fredrik

Nintendo can't get mad at people ruining their announcements if they aren't making announcements.

Leaks like these are the most we've got out of Nintendo in months, and the most we will get for months since at this rate it looks like they really are just waiting until E3.
Yup. I can't say I feel sorry for them.

I know they've been afraid to show things too early before since they believe their stuff will be copied.
But this time it won't matter, the other two already have their consoles in the market and any new changes to the upgrades besides better performance would be disasterous. So I don't get why they're this silent. They should just get the hype train going now, start with posting teaser posters everywhere with a date and maybe a small part of it or a diffuse illustration of some key feature etc, then get the press ready and just unveil it.

But they're dead silent. That's not how you create hype. If they're silent until E3 they'll get buried under all the VR related stuff.

MK_768

But this isn't like the PS4 to be fair. Wii U has sold like 12M units. PS3 and 360 sold over 100M. So most people were indeed getting the same game again. For NX it could be the opposite. If NX sells 30M...these ports and remaster can be new titles for most of the owners.

So for someone like me who already has Smash Bros and Mario Maker I don't care much for the ports/remasters to NX. I wont buy them cause I already have them lol. However, there are so many people who didn't get them because the Wii U is an abysmal system.

Also, we can count on Nintendo to deliver plenty of new 1st party games...something the Ps4 severely lacks imo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I don't really get the mentality. I think Ports and HD remasters are actually good for the business because not everyone bought Wii U since they only sold about 13M (I rounded up generously) so if Nintendo NX actually sold very well (like 50-60M) then they could make more benefits from that way and people doesn't have to pick up previous console to play the old games.

MK_768

But they're dead silent. That's not how you create hype. If they're silent until E3 they'll get buried under all the VR related stuff.

They've been dead silent because they were waiting for the next fiscal year to start. The new fiscal year just started and they have a investor meeting ont he 27th/28th. They'll get the ball rolling then at the very least.

There is no issue with what they are doing in the long term. I think GAF tends to forget about the big picture.

The shared library thing is going to be great for them tho, 1 Mario kart instead of two.

Granted, that's assuming a totally-shared library is happening at all.

It's a best-case scenario for sure, though.

On a scale it probably goes...

Totally shared --> Console plays most games, but some are exclusive to one form factor --> Another split library (would be pretty dumb so hopefully that doesn't happen again)

They've been dead silent because they were waiting for the next fiscal year to start. The new fiscal year just started and they have a investor meeting ont he 27th/28th. They'll get the ball rolling then at the very least.

There is no issue with what they are doing in the long term. I think GAF tends to forget about the big picture.

At the very least, I think a sign of something would be appreciated. They missed GDC which seemed like a big opportunity for anything. I think while it's understandable relatively to wait until then, they're cutting it pretty close from a marketing point of view.

Sony revealing PS4 in February with a further blowout in June was a pretty good model. But we'll probably get a vague idea of what NX is at the meeting and then "we'll say more at E3".

Yup. I can't say I feel sorry for them.

I know they've been afraid to show things too early before since they believe their stuff will be copied.
But this time it won't matter, the other two already have their consoles in the market and any new changes to the upgrades besides better performance would be disasterous. So I don't get why they're this silent. They should just get the hype train going now, start with posting teaser posters everywhere with a date and maybe a small part of it or a diffuse illustration of some key feature etc, then get the press ready and just unveil it.

The system is over half a year away. They have a marketing plan in place to roll out when in development software is actually ready to show. You get one chance at a first impression. There are many reasons why they are silent. Forum goers looking at any rumor on the internet feeling frustration over what's real or not is not representative of the market at large and not something a company getting ready to launch the next pillar of their profitability should feel obligated to react to until the product is ready.

When I see games, I want more than a fucking CG trailer and a logo because all the games are still months from alpha.

ReyVGM

Granted, that's assuming a totally-shared library is happening at all.

It's a best-case scenario for sure, though.

On a scale it probably goes...

Totally shared --> Console plays most games, but some are exclusive to one form factor --> Another split library (would be pretty dumb so hopefully that doesn't happen again)

At the very least, I think a sign of something would be appreciated. They missed GDC which seemed like a big opportunity for anything. I think while it's understandable relatively to wait until then, they're cutting it pretty close from a marketing point of view.

Sony revealing PS4 in February with a further blowout in June was a pretty good model. But we'll probably get a vague idea of what NX is at the meeting and then "we'll say more at E3".

There will be no shared library. Don't expect to play Zelda NX on the portable.

Look at what the PS4/Vita are doing, and that's what we are going to get too.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
To the naysayers who are critical of select hits from the Wii U catalog getting enhanced editions on the NX, let's not pretend that previous Nintendo consoles and hand helds didn't have the same.

First-Party Ports Last Generations

Wii U - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Wii Sports Club (3)

Wii - New Play Control: Pikmin, New Play Control: Pikmin 2, New Play Control: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, New Play Control: Chibo Robo, Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Anniversary Collection (7)

3DS - Donkey Kong Returns 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (5)

NDS - Super Mario 64 DS, Ridge Racer DS, Diddy Kong Racing DS (3)

GCN - Animal Crossing, Doshin The Giant, Cubivore (3)

GBA - Super Mario Advance, Super Mario Advance 2, Super Mario Advance 3, Super Mario Advance 4, The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past DX, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, Mother 1+2 (9)

GBC, Super Mario Bros. DX, The Legend of Zelda: A Link's Awakening DX, Wario Land 2 (Color Edition), Tetris DX, Crystalis DX, R-Type DX, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Land 3, Game & Watch Gallery 2 (9)

I know i'm missing quite a few, but let's not be ignorant to the obvious. Every generation from Nintendo (or other first-party publishers) is going to have ports. That is a given.

The system is over half a year away. They have a marketing plan in place to roll out when in development software is actually ready to show. You get one chance at a first impression. There are many reasons why they are silent. Forum goers looking at any rumor on the internet feeling frustration over what's real or not is not representative of the market at large and not something a company getting ready to launch the next pillar of their profitability should feel obligated to react to until the product is ready.

When I see games, I want more than a fucking CG trailer and a logo because all the games are still months from alpha.

This is anecdotal, but I've talked to a lot of IRL gamer friends who are talking about getting a new Nintendo console, and I've had to tell them, "Well, I would suggest biting the bullet on Wii U, but that's a tough sell because we have no idea about anything related to their new system, if it's backward compatible, when it comes out, etc."

I understand why they're silent, but when the other developers are so open about what they have in store, and constantly keep themselves in the public eye, it is a pretty big risk. The main concern is if they let themselves get drowned out at E3 by other people's hardware announcements.

If they do it well that's great, but... This is just a really rough time in general.

The shared library talk has died down a fair deal, hasn't it?

If we're getting at least a decent chunk of games with separate SKUs for console and handheld then that's pretty good too.

Jackano

To the naysayers who are critical of select hits from the Wii U catalog getting enhanced editions on the NX, let's not pretend that previous Nintendo consoles and hand helds didn't have the same.

I know i'm missing quite a few, but let's not be ignorant to the obvious. Every generation from Nintendo (or other first-party publishers) is going to have ports. That is a given.

Yes, but, if Emily is right and there is currently 4 (at least) in the works, this means it will be at least 4 in let's say the first year of the console.

As always, balance is important.
If half (5-6) of the Nintendo released NX games in its first year, or worst, half (2 or 3 titles) in the launch window are ports (including Zelda), it can be negatively perceived (as in "NX is the new Wii U").

Now if the number of original games makes the number of ports relatively small in comparison, then it's a very good thing IMO.

I have no problem with ports, I just think play Mario Maker, Splatoon and Zelda wherever you go! Is a better selling point than play Mario Maker, Splatoon and Zelda in 4k 16*MSAA with SSAO and SSR! But I'm probably in the minority on this site.

I'm so so sick of her and her leaks.

Hey Emily, how about you keep your dann mouth shut and don't make Nintendo-PR's job even harder than it already is, by deflating every announcement before it actually hits ?

We've gained literally nothing aside from knowing about what's going to happen a tiny bit earlier. Literally zero. In contrast knowing about Paper Mario and now some Zelda U details in advance will make the official announcement less impactful.
You are literally working against Nintendo's better interst, probably creating an atmosphere of distrust at Treehouse and just hindering their goals.

But your ego has to be stroked I guess.

Your source should be ashamed of themselves.

Hahaha what the fuck?

Piss off.

Spoil away, Emily.

ReyVGM

If we're getting at least a decent chunk of games with separate SKUs for console and handheld then that's pretty good too.

That's what I'm expecting yes.

I'm even expecting them (in some cases) to use assets from console games, shrink them to the portable and make their own original versions.
So theoretically, you could have a version of 3D Mario NX on the portable.

Thraktor

First-Party Ports Last Generations

Wii U - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Wii Sports Club (3)

Wii - New Play Control: Pikmin, New Play Control: Pikmin 2, New Play Control: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, New Play Control: Chibo Robo, Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Anniversary Collection (7)

3DS - Donkey Kong Returns 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (5)

NDS - Super Mario 64 DS, Ridge Racer DS, Diddy Kong Racing DS (3)

GCN - Animal Crossing, Doshin The Giant, Cubivore (3)

GBA - Super Mario Advance, Super Mario Advance 2, Super Mario Advance 3, Super Mario Advance 4, The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past DX, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, Mother 1+2 (9)

GBC, Super Mario Bros. DX, The Legend of Zelda: A Link's Awakening DX, Wario Land 2 (Color Edition), Tetris DX, Crystalis DX, R-Type DX, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Land 3, Game & Watch Gallery 2 (9)

Particularly so if NX doesn't have backwards compatibility. Presuming Nintendo aims to sell significantly more than 15 million NX consoles, they can, at a relatively low cost, bring a lot of Wii U games to a much wider audience.

I have no problem with ports, I just think play Mario Maker, Splatoon and Zelda wherever you go! Is a better selling point than play Mario Maker, Splatoon and Zelda in 4k 16*MSAA with SSAO and SSR! But I'm probably in the minority on this site.

Why not both? I don't expect the home console to be running anything at 4K, but if the widely held expectation is true that NX is a family of devices, initially consisting of a home console and handheld, that largely share the same game library, then bringing Splatoon to NX means you can play it on the go and at home in 1080p.

bachikarn

I don't particularly want to play a game with high production values like Zelda on a small screen.

I disagree, I think that is what's gonna happen. One of Nintendo's problem this generation (and I think Iwata talked about this before he passed) was that they were having trouble supporting two platforms essentially on their own (more so with the WiiU than 3DS). Part of the reason we've been hearing about things like "shared architecture" and "family of systems" is because Nintendo can't get by with developing for two platforms anymore. At least, not in their current situation. They're trying to pool their resources instead of dividing them up between console and handheld.

AniHawk

I disagree, I think that is what's gonna happen. One of Nintendo's problem this generation (and I think Iwata talked about this before he passed) was that they were having trouble supporting two platforms essentially on their own (more so with the WiiU than 3DS). Part of the reason we've been hearing about things like "shared architecture" and "family of systems" is because Nintendo can't get by with developing for two platforms anymore. At least, not in their current situation. They're trying to pool their resources instead of dividing them up between console and handheld.

he also said that the digital market is a 'sort of platform' and was talking about 'form factors' like crraaaaaaazy.

honestly, they need to do it. the two platforms for them from now on will be nx (dedicated hardware form factors)/mobile and not console/handheld.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yes, but, if Emily is right and there is currently 4 (at least) in the works, this means it will be at least 4 in let's say the first year of the console.

Firstly, Zelda's dual release is a bit different than the class of 1-2 year old game getting a port and slight face lift. If you look at those previous hardware, most of them had significant port releases at launch and throughout the first 15 months.

Some of these may not be copy and paste ports like most of the ones from previous. Consider the fact that Super Mario Maker would probably be like a 1.5 edition game with the continuous content Nintendo is delivering. The same could happen for Smash Bros. where some slight additions or DLC content is introduced.

The online communities is what separates these prospects from the previous ports of the past. They are just as much an ongoing service as they are retail releases. People are going to want to play Smash online on the NX, share levels on Mario Maker on the NX; it's not as heinous as Nintendo releasing Super Mario World on the GBA and Wii retail scene really.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The point is new games require a lot of staff and cooking time. For a company that usually gets denied significant third party releases, it's the smartest way to initially put up a few great games early on.

Imagine what the last 2 SEGA consoles on the market would be without SEGA porting their arcade games over. Empty.

What? A significant amount of Sega's most prominent Dreamcast output was console-only, like Sonic Adventure, Sonic Shuffle (developed by Hudson Soft), Sonic Adventure 2, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Shenmue II, every major league sports game by Visual Concepts, Segagaga in Japan, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Episode 2, Seaman, ChuChu Rocket!, Rez, Space Channel 5, Space Channel 5 Part 2, and more.

The Dreamcast also got a huge amount of third-party (aside from EA) and especially Capcom support in its short life. Far, far from empty, even early on. Even stuff like the Tomb Raider games at the turn of the millennium were ported, a luxury the Wii U does not have with the current games. The same goes for many prominent series.

Why not both? I don't expect the home console to be running anything at 4K, but if the widely held expectation is true that NX is a family of devices, initially consisting of a home console and handheld, that largely share the same game library, then bringing Splatoon to NX means you can play it on the go and at home in 1080p.

I'm not questioning it being a family of devices, but I am questioning why people think it will necessarily be initially 2, rather than 3 or one. I guess I'm also questioning if 1080p Wii U games will really bring in the crowd that 720p Wii U games failed to.

The wording since the NX announcement has never hinted at systems plural, as far as I could tell, but to be fair they could just be being coy about that.
Proposal: late 2016: NX big-ass portable tablet ish thing, streams to tv and feels like a Wii U when used at home.

late 2017: congraturation, affordable 14nm is ready for a ti-NY handheld, maybe clamshell DS style.

late 2018 new home NZ console, plays a whole new spec range of games along with the old.

late 2019: newbigass tablet.. plays all previous. and so on

Zalman

he also said that the digital market is a 'sort of platform' and was talking about 'form factors' like crraaaaaaazy.

honestly, they need to do it. the two platforms for them from now on will be nx (dedicated hardware form factors)/mobile and not console/handheld.
There is no doubt a fully shared library would be the ideal situation, but one has to wonder if it's even possible to pull off.

Neoxon

Firstly, Zelda's dual release is a bit different than the class of 1-2 year old game getting a port and slight face lift. If you look at those previous hardware, most of them had significant port releases at launch and throughout the first 15 months.

Some of these may not be copy and paste ports like most of the ones from previous. Consider the fact that Super Mario Maker would probably be like a 1.5 edition game with the continuous content Nintendo is delivering. The same could happen for Smash Bros. where some slight additions or DLC content is introduced.

The online communities is what separates these prospects from the previous ports of the past. They are just as much an ongoing service as they are retail releases. People are going to want to play Smash online on the NX, share levels on Mario Maker on the NX; it's not as heinous as Nintendo releasing Super Mario World on the GBA and Wii retail scene really.
But in all likelihood, Smash 4's port could be a Complete Edition with just the DLC to buy time for Smash 5 to be made in 4-5 years. Unless Sakurai comes back from his vacation, had characters nearly done for the Wii U but scrapped them because of the 3DS (this may apply to the Ice Climbers), or already did initial planning for extra characters, that's most likely gonna be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom