• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Reboot poll

gafneo

Banned
Who should make a new Battletoads game? I think it's been hinted at a bunch of times. Maybe a reveal this E3?

• Yatch Club
  • Twisted Pixel
  • Rare
  • Wayforward
  • Iron Galaxy

Ooooh.

I'd love to see what Wayforward would do with Battletoads.

I'd love to see it revived as a big AAA brawler with modern art and crazy graphics, but I'm not sure there's a market for a huge budget Battletoads game. I could be wrong, though. I've actually been wanting a revival for a long time.

Would be a fun surprise at E3 regardless of who was taking the reins.

daTRUballin

The funny part is that there's a possibility it could be revealed at E3 since there's been so many hints towards a new one. Then again, I was fairly certain it was going to be revealed at last year's E3, and it wasn't.

L Thammy

Seriously though, it's hard to come up with someone who's a good fit because any suggestion tends to fall under the misconception that Battletoads has a consistent genre. It's a beat-em-up for like one level, a platformer with no vertical movement (as in, you can't walk up or down like in the beat-em-up stages, you can still jump) and a focus on avoiding death traps in others, and then you have the vehicle segments...

eXistor

I don't necessarily want a new Battletoads. None of the games were that good to begin with. I'd rather the developers mentioned just make new games that are their own.

DarkTom

I'd be interested to see what Yacht Club Games would do with the franchise.

Battletoads vs Double Dragon was some crazy stuff. A remake/reboot/seque.whateverl of that game would be nuts. I mean those IP are not the most popular so combining them would help I guess. Plus the crossover was already unlikely at the time so imagine how unexpected it would be now.

shelcod

Neo Member
If it's a 2D reboot, I think the best option would be Yacht Club Games or Wayforward.

But personally, my dream game would be a 3D game that plays like Devil May Cry with some platforming and vehicle segments, and it would be developed by Platinum.

The Flash

Banned
Wait til The Flash gets here.

0b8.gif

Lab Zero.

I'm ok with this.

Go make a pitch to Phil.

Dynasty

Moon Studios, they created one of the best 2D platformers I played in years, Ori. The game was also a bit challenging as you progressed, so if they make it slightly more harder I think they'll have a really good difficulty for a Battletoad game. Wouldn't mind the people who made Guacamelee do it as well since that is my 2nd favourite platformer.

Lol at the people saying Naughty Dog when was the last time they made a platformer? Unless people want the new Battletoad to be in third person and make a transition to 3D.

kodecraft

Twisted Pixel because they are one of the best when it comes to character, humor and charm in their games. But they are no longer with Microsoft and doesn't MS own the IP?

Anyway, any new up and coming talented studio could so it.

gafneo

Banned
Seriously though, it's hard to come up with someone who's a good fit because any suggestion tends to fall under the misconception that Battletoads has a consistent genre. It's a beat-em-up for like one level, a platformer with no vertical movement (as in, you can't walk up or down like in the beat-em-up stages, you can still jump) and a focus on avoiding death traps in others, and then you have the vehicle segments...

A team that designed many genres then because toads is like a merge of 5 different kinds

A team that designed many genres then because toads is like a merge of 5 different kinds

This is very important for the reboot. It needs the variety of the original, and no segment can straight up suck. This is why the original is still the best in the series.

virtualS

Rare. I'm a purist.

KI not being made by Rare seriously turned me off.. even though it's a great game.

It needs to come out of the same physical studio that brought us the original and it's incumbent on Microsoft to ensure that the manpower and talent are available to make this possible.

DarkTom

I don't necessarily want a new Battletoads. None of the games were that good to begin with. I'd rather the developers mentioned just make new games that are their own.

The first GameBoy game is awesome. The second one not as good. The first one on NES had clear flaws but the animation was top notch, probably in the best of its time. I talked about the crossover with Double Dragon and this one was great fun.
So it's probably not the best franchise out there but I guess a good chunk of people have great memories with those games, so why not ? At least there is not a huge fanbase with unreachable expectations to disapoint like Zelda or Final Fantasy.

L Thammy

Rare. I'm a purist.

KI not being made by Rare seriously turned me off.. even though it's a great game.

It needs to come out of the same physical studio that brought us the original and it's incumbent on Microsoft to ensure that the manpower and talent are available to make this possible.

I have no faith in Rare being able to pull the game off. But it needs to have David Wise. I am a David Wise purist.

gafneo

Banned
If it's a 2D reboot, I think the best option would be Yacht Club Games or Wayforward.

But personally, my dream game would be a 3D game that plays like Devil May Cry with some platforming and vehicle segments, and it would be developed by Platinum.

If it's full on 3D, I'd go with Sega. They would make it Diehard Arcade style. Lame, cheesy, badly dubbed, but fun as all hell.

From software.

edit: or platinum

I've said many times before that the most likely way that Battletoads could be successfully rebooted in 3D would be to adopt a Dark Souls style of difficulty and tone with influences from the old arcade/console games being weaved throughout.

Rare. I'm a purist.

The sanctity of Battletoads must never be fouled.

gafneo

Banned
I have no faith in Rare being able to pull the game off. But it needs to have David Wise. I am a David Wise purist.

In most cases Rare would want to reinvent the wheel with Battletoads. They never make the same game twice. If it was origional and fun, it could be a bold move.

Xav

I'm the guy who hinted at some pirate themed Rare game that turned out to be Sea of Thieves.
- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138502258&postcount=267

I also later said that Rare were working on Battletoads.
-http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174158460&postcount=311

Who should work on a new Battletoads game? Well, Rare should... and are. (as far as I'm aware)

Check out the following video around the 35 second mark.
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLi_-3ldug4

Notice how the studio head mentions four development studios yet we only see the Rare Replay team and the Sea of Thieves team. What are the other two up to? ... well three now that Rare Replay is done.

This is an obvious answer but I think Platinum Games could make a damn good Battletoads game.

gafneo

Banned
I'm the guy who hinted at some pirate themed Rare game that turned out to be Sea of Thieves.
- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138502258&postcount=267

I also later said that Rare were working on Battletoads.
-http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174158460&postcount=311

Who should work on a new Battletoads game? Well, Rare should... and are. (as far as I'm aware)

Check out the following video around the 35 second mark.
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLi_-3ldug4

Notice how the studio head mentions four development studios yet we only see the Rare Replay team and the Sea of Thieves team. What are the other two up to? ... well three now that Rare Replay is done.

This is an obvious answer but I think Platinum Games could make a damn good Battletoads game.

Sounds like Rare is possibly the team then. Rare Replay barn might be the ones incharge though because now they got so much experience working on multiple Rare titles. They are like an up and coming indy Rare team.

Battletoads vs Double Dragon was some crazy stuff. A remake/reboot/seque.whateverl of that game would be nuts. I mean those IP are not the most popular so combining them would help I guess. Plus the crossover was already unlikely at the time so imagine how unexpected it would be now.

Arc System Works would develop it then since they own Double Dragon? Just looked it up and they even developed the Genesis port! Perfect fit
maybe

Then we could get KI to cross over with Guilty Gear or a XB1 port of GGXrd

eXistor

The first GameBoy game is awesome. The second one not as good. The first one on NES had clear flaws but the animation was top notch, probably in the best of its time. I talked about the crossover with Double Dragon and this one was great fun.
So it's probably not the best franchise out there but I guess a good chunk of people have great memories with those games, so why not ? At least there is not a huge fanbase with unreachable expectations to disapoint like Zelda or Final Fantasy.

True enough. I'm not against a new one at all, it's just not something I'm personally interested in seeing as my personal experience with the series isn't exactly memorable.

eXistor

Wayforward, because that franchise is bad and their games are bad

Shantae series, Mighty Switch Force series, Contra 4, Boy and his Blob are bad games? They may not have a great track-record outside those games (though I feel I'm forgetting one), but a bad developer they are not.

fake edit: Aliens Infestation was the one I forgot, cool little game.

AndrewPL

Battletoads was a game that could have been amazing but sucked due to gameplay!

It was from a time when teenage mutant ninja turtles was huge and the arcade game wasn't on consoles.

I'd like to see a good battletoads game but it's time has passed.

Rare should make it...platinum has tmnt and too much work already

Top Bottom