• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor AMD performance with DOOM.

I bought the game so excited to play because it was getting compared to Wolfenstein which is one of my GOATs and from what little I've played so far it looks like there is something special there. Maybe even enough to beat it. But I stopped playing after the first level because of terrible performance issues.

I have an R9 390, 16 GB ram and i5 6600k. Playing at 1080p. EDIT: I also have the latest drivers installed for DOOM.

If I have Vertical Sync enabled then I get crazy FPS slowdown to 30-40fps (It seems slower but this is how it reads) for about 10 seconds at a time till it goes back up to buttery smooth 60fps for around 10-15 seconds. If I disable it and unlock the framerate I get 80-100 FPS but terrible micro stuttering. If I lock the framerate at 60 through Riva tuner I get terrible tearing... EDIT: The game also just ignores a lot of my Command Console settings like Vsync and framerate.

Doesn't matter what settings I change...

I posted here on GAF but didn't get an answer. So on I went to the steam forums and lo and behold I wasn't the only one experiencing this. I then came across these benchmarks,

image.png

Reddit is also reporting the same thing. I mean a 970 73% faster than an 390?...

What makes this even more puzzling is that AMD cards ran the game exceptionally well in the alpha as far as I can remember. What the flip happened?

I'm pretty pissed right now that I can't get the performance that I have come to expect out of my card after spending so much on a game that I really really want to play.

I know that Vulcan is right around the corner but who knows if that will fix it.

YMMV but this seems to be the majority of the case here. I basically just wanted to get the word out to fellow Gaffers who own AMD cards and are thinking about buying the game. We are few because NVIDIA are definitely the majority and our problems tend to get drowned out so to speak as far as I can tell. You should know before you buy. Maybe a patch will fix it but it might be a good idea to wait and see.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I hope AMD release improved drivers for you soon.

Damn my specs are very similar to yours. I just have a fx6300 instead of an i5. And a 290 instead of a 390.

I was gonna get this on PC as well, but if performance sucked for you than its going to be even worse for me.

DjRalford

I've all but given up playing now, from resolution problems on 4K TVs to the repeated CTD I am getting after activating the airlock.

I ain't got time to fart arise around as I get little enough time to play as is, I'll just come back to it in a few weeks I guess and see if it works properly.

Woorloog

Banned
For me (R9 390) the game runs rather well on High settings, could probably set some higher even. Certain areas, usually ones with extensive amounts of reflections or transparent surfaces cause massive slowdowns (from well over 60 to 40-ish). But it seems it doesn't matter if i lower settings to Medium.
I repeat, only on certain areas i have these issues.
(Latest AMD non-beta drivers BTW.)

Claiming the game has poor performance overall is false.

Rizific

2500k @ 4ghz
8gb DDR3 1600
R9 390

i experienced this in the open beta. everything maxed and while my fps read a constant 60, i was having microstutter (if thats the word used to describe it) at times. kind of bummed. started my download before heading to work this morning and was looking forward to playing when i got home. i guess ill see how it goes.

For me (R9 390) the game runs rather well on High settings, could probably set some higher even. Certain areas, usually ones with extensive amounts of reflections or transparent surfaces cause massive slowdowns (from well over 60 to 40-ish). But it seems it doesn't matter if i lower settings to Medium.
I repeat, only on certain areas i have these issues.
(Latest AMD non-beta drivers BTW.)

Claiming the game has poor performance overall is false.

But that IS running poorly by my book. And I only said that it had poor performance with AMD. Not overall.

It should be running smoothly all the way through just as many have reported on weaker cards should it not? It's an old school very fast paced shooter for crying out loud. I am not the only person with this issue as I have shown.

I thought AMD was pretty well known for not being good at OpenGL? No one uses it anymore except ID so that's probably why people are caught by surprise like this.

killroy87

Well, awesome. I have an R9 290, and bought after seeing all the positive comments in the performance thread. Looks like I'm hooped.

Zojirushi

Gotta be an id tech5 thing at this point right? Was playing The Old Blood recently and that was not a great experience either...

Edit: And funnily enough I had the exact same problems with it you described for Doom...well, will be staying away from this I guess...sucks though :(

vocab

I thought AMD was pretty well known for not being good at OpenGL? No one uses it anymore except ID so that's probably why people are caught by surprise like this.
Pretty much. Their cards have always had issues with legacy opengl games for the longest time too.

finalflame

Gold Member
Good argument right here for why you shouldn't buy AMD cards. At this point, it's just not worth the risk over the savings.

Hopefully some kind of driver update can fix these performance woes for those affected.

Zojirushi

Good argument right here for why you shouldn't buy AMD cards. At this point, it's just not worth the risk over the savings.

Hopefully some kind of driver update can fix these performance woes for those affected.

Jesus not this garbage again, please. If I remember correctly Nvidia had its fair share of terribly underperforming games and fucked up driver releases lately as well. This is just how things go.

Mohasus

IIf I have Vertical Sync enabled then I get crazy FPS slowdown to 30-40fps (It seems slower but this is how it reads) for about 10 seconds at a time till it goes back up to buttery smooth 60fps for around 10-15 seconds. If I disable it and unlock the framerate I get 80-100 FPS but terrible micro stuttering. If I lock the framerate at 60 through Riva tuner I get terrible tearing...
Usually, on the nvidia side, vsync problems are solved by forcing it at driver level.

No. This is an outlier. This is the first time I have experienced this issue. I have been quite happy with my R9 390 and it's driver updates lately. It pretty much outperforms 970s in every game I have, especially recently.

EDIT: Please don't turn this into a brand war. The point is for the issue to be known so that it can be solved faster.

Woorloog

Banned
But that IS running poorly by my book. And I only said that it had poor performance with AMD. Not overall.

It should be running smoothly all the way through just as many have reported on weaker cards should it not? It's an old school very fast paced shooter for crying out loud. I am not the only person with this issue as I have shown.

Meant "overall for AMD". Indeed, overall the game is very smooth running.

There is obviously something wrong when certain areas cause issues. But then again, it is certain areas ONLY so fixing it should be fairly easy, most likely. The game isn't broken on AMD GPUs.

Ultimately, the slowdowns didn't bother me too much as long as FPS was over 40, Freesync helps a lot. Still, hopefully they'll fix this.

Not to pour salt on you or anything, but Rage's release was the ultimate reason I stopped buying AMD cards. At least if the Doom beta ran well for you there might be a fix coming soon.

Meant "overall for AMD". Indeed, overall the game is very smooth running.

There is obviously something wrong when certain areas cause issues. But then again, it is certain areas ONLY so fixing it should be fairly easy, most likely. The game isn't broken on AMD GPUs.

Ultimately, the slowdowns didn't bother me too much as long as FPS was over 40, Freesync helps a lot. Still, hopefully they'll fix this.

Take a look at the benchmarks. Are you seriously telling me that that looks normal to you? I also, do not have a FreeSync monitor and the idea that I need FreeSync or Gsync to enjoy a microstutter free game is just ridiculous to me. As I said, I don't have this microstutter issue with any other game I play.

mephixto

Banned
Hope this improves when they release the Vulkan render. Also is kinda weird that on consoles (AMD APU's) the game performance is admirable.

Papacheeks

Banned
So if AMD has had issues in the past with ID tech engine based games, wouldn't that be a sign it's a issue on the game engine not the cards?

Especially if everything else out currently runs fine on them? Just my observation.

It's an issue that goes back to the days when they were still called ATI.

I just joined the PC space this year. This is a very Elitist attitude to take bro. I shouldn't have to research all of this lingo and history (That would probably take me years) to understand that this game might not perform the best on AMD GPUs. I am loving the PC space so far and am doing my best to keep up and become an enthusiast but consumer unfriendly attitudes like this are only going to turn people off.

If I see a game for sale on a marketplace I should only need to read the minimum and recommended specs to know what performance my machine should be putting out.

I absolutely understand that more knowledge helps but it ultimately shouldn't be my fault for not knowing something that I didn't think I needed to know and that honestly, I shouldn't need to know.

Mike Golf

Sorry to hear that OP, as stated AMD consistently has issues with opengl based games when they launch. My 980ti had drops to 30 in a few key areas and situations before their driver update today, so I hope AMD is working a driver fix too. I dealt with my share of performance disparities on my old 7970ghz against comparable Nvidia cards in numerous games so I know how you feel.

Caayn

So if AMD has had issues in the past with ID tech engine based games, wouldn't that be a sign it's a issue on the game engine not the cards?

Especially if everything else out currently runs fine on them? Just my observation.
It's not a problem with the engine in this case. The game is build on OpenGL instead of DX, and AMD's OpenGL performance isn't that great.

The Vulkan support that'll come in the future to this game will improve AMD's (and NV's) performance.

Papacheeks

Banned
Doesn't make sense that on reddit people had the Doom beta and it ran fine on AMD cards. Now that the final code is out it runs like shit?

Why?

What did ID change? Did they change OPEN GL 4.3 to 4.5 or something?

It's not a problem with the engine in this case. The game is build on OpenGL instead of DX, and AMD's OpenGL performance isn't that great.

The Vulkan support that'll come in the future to this game will improve AMD's (and NV's) performance.

Then why the fuck did the alpha run so well for AMD users?

What changed?

Feels like their partnership with Nvidia might have something to do with the game running so well on a nvidia 970, did the developers not optimize the new/final graphical features for AMD?

Mike Golf

Hope this improves when they release the Vulkan render. Also is kinda weird that on consoles (AMD APU's) the game performance is admirable.

Performance on AMD's APUs used in consoles will never be indicative of PC performance on even those same APUs, much less other GPUs within AMD's family. We've seen this with multiple releases this gen and it's due to console versions of games being very closely coded to the hardware in each system not just an API such as DX11/12 or OpenGL.

I just joined the PC space this year. This is a very Elitist attitude to take bro. I shouldn't have to research all of this lingo and history (That would probably take me years) to understand that this game might not perform the best on AMD GPUs. I am loving the PC space so far and am doing my best to keep up and become an enthusiast but consumer unfriendly attitudes like this are only going to turn people off.

If I see a game for sale on a marketplace I should only need to read the minimum and recommended specs to know what performance my machine should be putting out.

I absolutely understand that more knowledge helps but it ultimately shouldn't be my fault for not knowing something that I didn't think I needed to know and that honestly, I shouldn't need to know.

You should have known the history of AMD with OpenGL.
Shame on you OP, shame!
/s

slapnuts

Lots of people feel the exact opposite with DX12 coming to the norm soon. Sounds like more of a fanboy comment than anything else honestly.

On topic- Doom has NICE performance on the consoles which is AMD...so its a tad odd that its this off in the benchmarks above. The 390 should be a nice step ahead of the 970 as its becoming the norm now days with just about all new games. Hopefully AMD will have a driver fix or devs put out a patch for this issue.

Game looks AWESOME!!!!

Running 390@1150core/6500mem, 3770k@4.6ghz, 8gb Ram, Win10 on a 1080p 55inch Panny Plasma and i am getting maxed 60fps with pretty much everything max

Mike Golf

Doesn't make sense that on reddit people had the Doom beta and it ran fine on AMD cards. Now that the final code is out it runs like shit?

Why?

What did ID change? Did they change OPEN GL 4.3 to 4.5 or something?

Then why the fuck did the beta run so well weeks ago for AMD users?

What changed?

Are those users also having performance issues in MP? SP features a ton more in the way of environment complexity and character/enemy model count than MP; having decent beta MP performance doesn't mean SP peformance in the final code is going to hold up just as well.

Nvidia controls what, nearly 80% of the dedicated GPU market? You think we just all randomly chose the generally more expensive Nvidia for laughs?

It sucks that this is the situation, I'd love a really competitive GPU market, but it's not the fault of elitism that AMD cards don't work well with OpenGL games. Put your blame where it belongs: AMD.

But I am surprised when you got into PC gaming that no PC gamer recommended going with Nvidia. That usually seems to be the case. I know that's what I recommend to all my friends, and I see it a lot elsewhere. Nvidia's marketshare has been growing for a while now, again not by accident...

sflufan

Banned
Are those users also having performance issues in MP? SP features a ton more in the way of environment complexity and character/enemy model count than MP; having decent beta MP performance doesn't mean SP peformance in the final code is going to hold up just as well.

This is exactly what I was about to post as well.

Papacheeks

Banned
Are those users also having performance issues in MP? SP features a ton more in the way of environment complexity and character/enemy model count than MP; having decent beta MP performance doesn't mean SP performance in the final code is going to hold up just as well.

On PC nothing is toned down unless user defined to my knowledge about this game. That's mostly the case for consoles, but not PC usually unless the game code is complete ass to begin with and runs like shit.

mephixto

Banned
Consoles do not have AMD's open GL driver ^^

Performance on AMD's APUs used in consoles will never be indicative of PC performance on even those same APUs, much less other GPUs within AMD's family. We've seen this with multiple releases this gen and it's due to console versions of games being very closely coded to the hardware in each system not just an API such as DX11/12 or OpenGL.

Welp, for some reason I sometimes forget that consoles run their own API's.

sflufan

Banned
On PC nothing is toned down unless user defined to my knowledge about this game. That's mostly the case for consoles, but not PC usually unless the game code is complete ass to begin with and runs like shit.

If the multiplayer environment isn't as complex as the single-player then it should inherently have superior performance at every user-defined setting.

Top Bottom