• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

Cheers dude - kinda meant for the corresponding year but think I know the trend anyway...

So Edson how did those retailer insights help you? EDIT: Oops sorry mistook you for someone else - sorry, ignore me...

ps3ud0 8)

I'm debating whether crab rangoon is either Edson Farley or RandyRaceCar...

donny2112

MC threads are weekly. This is monthly. Total up the 4/5 weeks in a retail month from MC, and the swings would be much less for systems > 20K in the month. If you want to look at systems under 20K, then look at PS3's wild swing this month from April.

ethomaz

Banned
If that logic were the basis of such conclusions media create threads would host the most dynamic, exciting back and forth sales discussions the internet had ever seen. There you see wild percentage swings routinely across a variety of platforms. If the question to be addressed is 'how many new users bought PS4 due to this set of favorable conditions?' then the answer is apparently not very many.

Are you guys suggesting 'boosts' should be evaluated exclusively in percentages, even though that methodology does nothing to actually measure the data the question demands?! o.0
PS4 had 207,300 new US users in May 2016.

That is pretty big for May... MC threads are Weekly... try to compare them monthly to see.

After you said Xbone > PS4 this month I get where you trying to do now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
$50 cheaper + generous trade in offers + its single biggest exclusive IP release to date yielded around a 50k boost. I dunno...it looks nice when you just use percentages but the actual number seems like a rather weak 'boost' to me. Especially with X1 not picking up any slack as PS4's competition.

They outsold MSFT a hair over 2:1. You can't downplay, goalpost, or spin that shit, lol.

allan-bh

Honestly, somehow I have a strange feeling he will be singing it in a different tune if the XB1 won.

To be fair, many of us were thinking Uncharted 4 (or any exclusive for the matter) wouldn't move much hardware. In any case, I think we can agree it was a "good" boost.

My prediction is 200k, so I was totally expecting a boost. GAF aggregate is even bigger with 213k.

Javin98

Banned
I'm debating whether crab rangoon is either Edson Farley or RandyRaceCar...
Perhaps even DoctorProfessional or Hermain Cain reincarnated. The possibilities are endless!

My prediction is 200k, so I was totally expecting a boost. GAF aggregate is even bigger with 213k.
Okay, to put it simply, how would you classify the boost then? My prediction was 197K, BTW.

Coolluck

Can't wait to snatch Homefront up for $15 here in a bit. There's just something about the setting that appeals to me. Rented the first one when that came out. Expectations are so very low.

donny2112

You know it is possible for simply many people to have the same wrong opinion instead of assuming that all those with the wrong opinion are the same person.

Honestly, somehow I have a strange feeling he will be singing it in a different tune if the XB1 won.

If X1 best PS4 given those 3 MAJOR selling points favoring Sony's platform it would be a pretty major disappointment for Sony.

To be fair, many of us were thinking Uncharted 4 (or any exclusive for the matter) wouldn't move much hardware. In any case, I think we can agree it was a "good" boost.

He said it was not impressive. How does that equate to him agreeing the boost was 'good'? You seem to see what you want to see.

5Twist,

Neither.

jjonez18

If that logic were the basis of such conclusions media create threads would host the most dynamic, exciting back and forth sales discussions the internet had ever seen. There you see wild percentage swings routinely across a variety of platforms thanks to the tiny volumes. If the question to be addressed is 'how many new users bought PS4 due to this set of favorable conditions?' then the answer is apparently not very many.

Are you guys suggesting 'boosts' should be evaluated exclusively in percentages, even though that methodology does nothing to actually measure the data the question demands?! o.0

Well, Media Create is weekly. This is NPD. We roll on a month-month basis.

Nvm... What Etho/donny said. It's solid at worst dude. No real argument to be had.

ethomaz

Banned
You know, I was 50/50 on which one you meant.

3rd year YTD comparisons

(2008) 360: 1.112m
(2016) XB1: 896k (-20%)

(2009) PS3: 955k
(2016) PS4: 1.347m (+41%)

3rd year LTD

(05-08) 360: 10,242,100
(13-16) XB1: ~12,000,000 (+17%)

(06-09) PS3: 7,745,400
(13-16) PS4: ~13,700,000 (+77%)
360 looks to be fast catching even in US.

PS4 - Xbone gap is lower than what I expected.

Okay, to put it simply, how would you classify the boost then? My prediction was 197K, BTW.
192k here :p

Javin98

Banned
If X1 best PS4 given those 3 MAJOR selling points favoring Sony's platform it would be a pretty major disappointment for Sony.

He said it was not impressive. How does that equate to him agreeing the boost was 'good'? You seem to see what you want to see.
Good grief. Did you flunk English class by any chance? Where did I imply that him saying the boost was not impressive means he was agreeing that the boost was "good"? I was indirectly asking if he would agree if it was a good boost. And I was referring specifically to May 2016, I meant you would be praising the XB1 to high heavens if it won any month.

Not particularly impressive, but a good improvement.
Oh, look. He said it's a good improvement. I didn't point a gun to his head to force him, BTW.

Thanks, allan. I too think it was a good boost, maybe great for me.

Fat4all

Banned
crab, sales percentages are good for measuring trends in sales, especially month over month. May is usually a pretty whatever month by most means, and Sony upping that by a considerable percentage is pretty groovy.

I dunno what else you are looking for here.

ethomaz

Banned
You know it is possible for simply many people to have the same wrong opinion instead of assuming that all those with the wrong opinion are the same person.
It is because he is a Junior that made account one day after Edson was banned.

Too many coincidences :D

ps3ud0

3rd year YTD comparisons

3rd year LTD

Thank you, I hope you know how grateful I am that you arent anywhere as lazy as I. I expected the X360 to outsell XO this year after our previous conversation about this, but hadnt realised PS3 is doing the same thing too. Considering both the X360 and PS3 were more popular in the RoW too, its sobering.

ps3ud0 8)

boingball

It looks like the PS4 is getting separation even in the US in installed base from the Xbox. Even Minecraft sells better on PS4 now than on the One.

Good grief. Did you flunk English class by any chance? Where did I imply that him saying the boost was not impressive means he was agreeing that the boost was "good"? I was indirectly asking if he would agree if it was a good boost. And I was referring specifically to May 2016, I meant you would be praising the XB1 to high heavens if it won any month.

Don't bother. You're probably talking to the person who doesn't even know what 'exists' means.

pixelation

Another month where Xbox is in double digits decline, Scorpio might be too late to save the brand if this continues.

I honestly don't see them being able to salvage the XB hardware venture. With Scorpio they'll either be: A)Selling at a higher price point than the PS4K, meaning that only the XB faithful who are upset that the PS4 currently has better specs than the XBO would be the only ones making the upgrade. Other than that i don't see a more expensive unit catching on with the general market. B)They bite the bullet and sell the Scorpio at a loss... again. Something that i don't think the share holders are going to be OK with.

Cue in the responses that go... "who cares!, i'm not a share holder. I'll buy it and that's all i care about"

They outsold MSFT a hair over 2:1. You can't downplay, goalpost, or spin that shit, lol.

What does the debate regarding the boost have to do with MS, other than the fact X1 helped PS4 out by underperforming? That should have helped PS4 more and as such serves my point.

The folks who cling to a percentage are trying to spin things here. If the question is 'how many new users did these specific conditions bring to PS4 this month compared to last May?'....the answer is 50k, which doesn't seem like a lot given how potent those 3 conditions typically are (not even including X1's competitive underperformance).

jjonez18

When you really think about it, the Wii U was the best selling console this month

No question about it. The only console with every top selling new Wii U game released in 2015. The number of Goomba's stomped on and gallons of paint spilled in Splatoon were off the charts too. Don't even get them started on the MAU's.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
who won hardware, only MS released a statement

Thanks to Aquamarine on the gamrconnect forums.

PS4 Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 207,300 (+35.8% from last May)

XBO Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 107,100 (-23.3% from last May)

WIU Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 25,300 (-40.7% from last May)

360 Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 11,900 (-53.5% from last May)

PS3 Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 10,700 (-44.5% from last May)

3rd year YTD comparisons

3rd year LTD

Not a good sign for the xbone. It's down YoY and it's well behind the 360 and this was before it really took off with kinect. They really need the slim to make a big difference or they will be falling well short of the 360 in the US. WW it won't even be close.

donny2112

Oh, that reminds me. What's the current U.S. cap for console sales?

i_love_flag_usa_cap-r207eebbfb3cc411d9e0628fec3279094_v9wfy_8byvr_324.jpg

1.7m

With Uncharted is not impressive, just expected.

With UC4, PS4 got a boost which resulted in impressive numbers. I'll stick with that as I quite vividly remember the whole talks about PS4 not hitting 200k in the prediction thread. And I certainly didn't predict it that high, so... opinions.

allan-bh

With UC4, PS4 got a boost which resulted in impressive numbers. I'll stick with that as I quite vividly remember the whole talks about PS4 not hitting 200k in the prediction thread. And I certainly didn't predict it that high, so... opinions.

207k in a month is impressive?

ethomaz

Banned
The talk was about PS4 having a 30+% boost in May when other BIG games this generation only give around 20% increase.

watdaeff4

TO be frank though the XB1 is selling like doo-doo.

It's the highest performing May for the PS4 and is up above April. So, yes. It's impressive.

How does it compare to May figures for last-gen consoles?

i.e. during say circa 2007-2012.

Not trying to get in the middle of your guys' fanboy nonsense, but just curious to see how the market is faring as a whole as WiiU is dead and XB1 (at least to me) is really looking like a nose dive despite only being out 2.5 years.

The talk was about PS4 having a 30+% boost in May when other BIG games this generation only give around 20% increase.
But are we not factoring in the Gamestop trade-in deal though? I get confused, it was considered a significant factor in the April 2015 results for the XB1?

wapplew

Well, according to Kotaku, Windows store UWA AAA games went from 0% market share to 2%, that's like infinity % increase. Most impressive boost of all time.

Hi Aqua, wherever you are... Thank you

Crab... Do you have a specific point you're trying to make? I can't understand from the posts what it is you're trying to get across. Help me out?

allan-bh

It's the highest performing May for the PS4 and is up above April. So, yes. It's impressive.

That's the minimum expected with a big launch like Uncharted 4 and last year price drop. Would be really strange if PS4 was down.

207k is a number not impressive at all, but I guess it fits in the new standard for the market, sales more concentrated in holidays.

ethomaz

Banned
207k in a month is impressive?
Depends what your definition of impressive.

PS4 May 2014: 197k
PS4 May 2015: 152k
PS4 May 2016: 207k

By far it is the best May any console had this generation.

What about previous gens???

PS3 May 2008: 208.7K (unique time PS3 sold more in May).
360 May 2011: 270K (unique time 360 sold more in May).
Wii? Until 2011 it never sold less than 207k in May.

watdaeff4

PS3 May 2008: 208.7K (the unique time PS3 sold more in May... every other May was below 177k).

Thank you for this - do you know how X360 - or even Wii did in May in the previous gens?

EDIT: so this May it did "only" 10K more than May 2014? - In comparison to that coupled with Gamestop trade-in, lower base price, and UC4 out, I don't think it's that impressive.

It's not a bad number at all (see WiiU and XB1), but on the other hand it doesn't seem impressive. Maybe my expectations are skewed.

That's the minimum expected with a big launch like Uncharted 4 and last year price drop. Would be really strange if PS4 was down.

207k is a number not impressive at all, but I guess it fits in the new standard for the market, sales more concentrated in holidays.

Your saying it's expected and I'm saying it's not. Let's agree to disagree. The aggregate was higher in the predictions thread but the discussion was widly different.

ethomaz

Banned
Thank you for this - do you know how X360 - or even Wii did in May in the previous gens?
I added now... Wii never sold less before 2012 in May.

EDIT: so this May it did "only" 10K more than May 2014? - In comparison to that coupled with Gamestop trade-in, lower base price, and UC4 out, I don't think it's that impressive.

It's not a bad number at all (see WiiU and XB1), but on the other hand it doesn't seem impressive. Maybe my expectations are skewed.
May 2014 was yet every PS4 Sony shipped = sold... there are supply issues in Europe and Sony tried to cover US with everything they have.

ps3ud0

Depends what your definition of impressive.

PS4 May 2014: 197k
PS4 May 2015: 152k
PS4 May 2016: 207k

By far it is the best May any console had this generation.

PS3 May 2008: 208.7K (the unique time PS3 sold more in May... every other May was below 177k).
Well looking at the summary Welfare provides it seems generally MoM theres a drop. Theres only been one weekly increase this gen until now and that was the Wii U in 2014...

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom