• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

watdaeff4

I added now... Wii never sold less before 2012 in May.

May 2014 was yet every PS4 Sony ships = sold.

Thanks for the last gen info.

Also, thanks for pointing out the difference in May 2014. Yep, that does make a big difference.

Xbone sales are frankly terrible
Yes. Yes they are.

I have never been on the bandwagon earlier this gen about the XB1 being a "failure" but after the downward trend this calendar year, I'm changing my tune.

Sterok

We've long since established the status quo. PS4 does good-great, XB1 does okay-good, and 3DS does mediocre-okay depending on the releases and deals that month. For the consoles that's going to hold until a proper new product (which may or may not be Neo/Scorpio depending on a variety of factors) is released or Sony/MS does something stupid. That's the trend, and nothing is changing that in the short-term. Is there really that much of a difference if the PS4 sold 160K or 210K this month when it won't even be noticeable in final YTD? It's May. Lowish sales are expected, and anything above that is just a bonus.

allan-bh

Your saying it's expected and I'm saying it's not. Let's agree to disagree. The aggregate was higher in the predictions thread but the discussion was widly diffrent.

Ok, but the numbers prove that you was wrong in not expect 200k+ sales, so maybe the surprise is making you think is impressive.

Despite expecting or not I really can't see 207k as a number remarkable for the market leader in a month with a big game.

Yes. Yes they are.

I have never been on the bandwagon earlier this gen about the XB1 being a "failure" but after the downward trend this calendar year, I'm changing my tune.

Yeah I'm not sure it can be phrased any other way. The console by and large has been a disaster. We are looking at what 40 million or so LT? Such a shame as I adored the 360 but MS just made so many errors this time around

Ok, but the numbers prove that you was wrong in not expect 200k+ sales, so maybe the surprise is making you think is impressive.

Despite expecting or not I really can't see 207k as a number remarkable for the market leader in a month with a big game.

What numbers prove me wrong? The aggregate?

Like, come on. That's a terrible metric to use.

I get it, you think it's expected. Congratulations!

madmackem

Yet Xbox had deals and drops etc and sold badly, sign of the whole market?. It sold slightly better beating its rivals because of a big game, yet quantum break did the opposite wasn't Xbox down yoy the month the big Xbox game shipped?.

donny2112

Consoles usually go down from April to May, so for PS4 to go up is impressive. However with a big launch of UC4, UC4 bundle, and trade-in deals at GameStop for those wanting the new UC4 console, the May increase, while impressive, is not unexpected.

Just looking at past numbers for the console on their own? Impressive.
Looking at the contributing factors in May for PS4? Not unexpected.

That about sum up things?

Just curious. But does NPD include sales in Canada too?

These numbers do not include Canada, but NPD Canada does track Canadian sales.

allan-bh

Xbox One Slim will be out soon and the narrative will change completely in NPD threads, just wait and see.

May 2016 is the PS4s best May in its life cycle and it's up 13% YoY from an already fantastic 2015. That's really all that needs to be said

watdaeff4

Yeah I'm not sure it can be phrased any other way. The console by and large has been a disaster. We are looking at what 40 million or so LT? Such a shame as I adored the 360 but MS just made so many errors this time around

A year and half ago, I picked it would sell 40 to 50 million, which isn't that bad.

Now, depending on what Scorpio is, how it is considered (i.e. New console vs. upgraded XB1 so sales are attached to that), announcement date and release date, I wouldn't be surprised if XB1 doesn't hit 30 million. (assuming the earlier 21million number floated around is accurate)

EDIT: I will say I may be jumping the "negative" bandwagon, but really should hold a bit until the end of the year as MS really has trained consumers I think to wait until holiday deals to buy their console. XB1 is definitely going to sell significantly less than X360, but this year may turn around for them to at least stay flat from last year.

Xbox One Slim will be out soon and the narrative will change completely in NPD threads, just wait and see.
Please expand on your line of thought - I'm curious.

Stoffinator

They do cover Canada, but it's a different feed and generally isn't talked about and the numbers are not included in what this thread discusses. What are you wondering about?

I was just wondering in general how games and hardware do up here. Never knew if the monthly info posted here included Canada. Thought it would of.

allan-bh

Yet Xbox had deals and drops etc and sold badly, sign of the whole market?. It sold slightly better beating its rivals because of a big game, yet quantum break did the opposite wasn't Xbox down yoy the month the big Xbox game shipped?.

Are you comparing Quantum Break with Uncharted 4?

???

I'm talking about the actual sales, your expectations was wrong.

Okay. Is this confusing? Yes, my expectations were wrong. I thought there would be a small increase over last year (167k).

Do you not see why my expectations being wrong leads me to conclude that it's an impressive number?

wapplew

A year and half ago, I picked it would sell 40 to 50 million, which isn't that bad.

Now, depending on what Scorpio is, how it is considered (i.e. New console vs. upgraded XB1 so sales are attached to that), announcement date and release date, I wouldn't be surprised if XB1 doesn't hit 30 million. (assuming the earlier 21million number floated around is accurate)

Xbox one slim at $199 will do wonder!
I think 40m LTD is achievable if price is low enough.

If you use Steam 600k it is pretty possible DOOM did more on consoles WW than PC.

Edit - Well Steam data is actual sales that makes it even more probably consoles sold more.

Yeah it seems crazy doesn't it. A game born and bred from PC, LANs and PC online gaming early days hits a major return to form, is fully optimised for PC hardware and sells more with controllers and weaker performing consoles. Colour me surprised, truly.

Any journos/editors publishing articles about consoles dying out can bite my ass in the face of these stats.

Xbox one slim at $199 will do wonder!
I think 40m LTD is achievable if price is low enough.

Whats crazy is we are talking about 40 million LT being "achievable" after the huge success that was the Xbox 360. Crazy and MS has no one to blame but themselves

Sterok

Worldwide I wonder how much more XB1 is selling than the 3DS at the moment. The way some people act it's apparently not that much.

Are you serious? I'm not being snarky, you just never know. What would the slim offer that would turn things around at this point? Are you implying that folks may just be holding off for a new revision?

With the threat of Scorpio hitting within the year?. You really think a slim version of the console that isn't selling is going to change the whole situation for the console?. Now if you said Scorpio I might have agreed but the same box in slimmer form isn't going to be a game changer.

This is my current opinion. I just got a refurb dirt cheap (which was essentially new and had a full warranty) with the idea of giving it to my son and grabbing the slim, but after thinking about it, I don't see the point unless it's a hardware upgrade.

madmackem

Sales will go up, the console will start to have YoY increases and things will look better.
With the threat of Scorpio hitting within the year?. You really think a slim version of the console that isn't selling is going to change the whole situation for the console?. Now if you said Scorpio I might have agreed but the same box in slimmer form isn't going to be a game changer.

Square2015

AWxhV0x.png

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I SAW SOMEONE MENTION AQUA'S NAME!!!! WHERE SHE AT? IS SHE BACK ON GAF?

tumblr_inline_n9gd8zmZMh1shofor.gif

allan-bh

What's game changer for you?

I'm not talking about beat PS4.

wapplew

Are you serious? I'm not being snarky, you just never know. What would the slim offer that would turn thing around at this point?

More powerful and cheaper, rumor GPU upgrade to 2TF and 4K Bluray/output support.
If that thing price at $249 or lower, it will fly off shelf.
Plus best line up in Xbox history that rival last year with Gears 4, Forza horizon 3, Recore, Halo wars 2 and more, I mean, Halo, Gears and Forza in the same holiday! I think it will be the best holiday for Xbox one.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
She's gone to the Dark Side.
Turns out they really did have cookies! (Someone mentioned the forum she's posting at earlier.)

SEARCHIING!

EDIT: OMG gamrconnect forums, I shall meet her again. To the dark side, I go.

Xbone sales are frankly terrible

Yep, it's more or less kinda official now that classic life-cycle history (peak of sales somewhen in the middle) doesn't apply for XBOX One. MS sees their platform declining, while their competitor is still on track (even pre-PSVR!). I suppose that's why MS is in alert mode right now.

The God

More powerful and cheaper, rumor GPU upgrade to 2TF and 4K Bluray/output support.
Plus best line up in Xbox history that rival last year with Gears 4, Forza horizon 3, Recore, Halo wars 2 and more, I mean, Halo, Gears and Forza in the same holiday! I think it will be the best holiday for Xbox one.

Link? Haven't heard about the bolded

I agree that it would and I'd love it, but I think we're both dreaming here.

Your posts always crack me up. You say what I want to hear, but deep within, I always know it's too good to be true. Can't wait for Monday though!

Top Bottom