• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
I'm so happy
Dear Marvel, please give Deadpool, Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool or all three to Platinum Games!

Spidey with Insomniac is an awesome start to finally having good games made by devs not called Capcom.

after what platinum did with TMNT? no thanks

Whoa, it's real!

Peter Parker can't drive.

latest

HussiZooT

From Geoff's stream

- Biggest team Insomniac has ever had working on a game
- Most ambitious Marvel game ever made
- It's been in development for "quite some time"
- It's not connected at all with the upcoming movie
- Open world
- It'll focus on both Peter Parker and Spider-man
- PS4 exclusive and published by SIE
- They aren't ready to talk about any release timeframe

This... this is the best news ever! I need it now! Or put me in cryosleep till it's out.

Can't contain my excitement. Two fanboy personalities within me are converging at such a beautiful time - PlayStation fan and Spidey fan. What a time to be alive. (Please release before I die)

Jonboy

Looks incredible. Glad to see Insomniac making their mark on PS4. Can't wait for this one. Definitely one of the highlights of E3 for me.

Stiler

Am I the only one who would love to see Venom be in the game both as story npc character but also as a potential co-op style character you can play together with?

Even though Venom has been spider mans adversary there are multiple times that they worked together for the greater good.

Who owns the IP, with this one being exclusives will it stay the same for future installments of the series.

Hard to say, but i'm going to imagine that the videogame publishing rights were sold to Sony as a part of the deal with Marvel to get Spider-man into the MCU, since they're the ones publishing this & not Activision. Having said that, its hard to imagine that if this game is successful, that Marvel would mess with this arrangement, as who knows how long Sony owns the publishing rights to Spider-Man.

So yeah, until something comes up, its best to assume we won't be seeing a full console Spider-man game like this anywhere else.

lupinko

I'm so happy

You're basing Platinum on the output of the Korra/TMNT director? If a Marvel game got Kenji Saito (MGR and Transformers guy) or Hideki Kamiya, you wouldn't be saying such things.

Also the Korra and TMNT games were really low budget and pushed out with the quickness. That's more Activision than Platinum.

Can't we finally rest this meme now?

Eh, I'm just saying Marvel should continue to branch out with more devs. I didn't say they should dump Insomniac and give Spider-Man to Platinum, I clearly said other IPs, and Platinum has already expressed great interest in a Spider-Gwen game.

I for one am very delighted to finally see Spidey get a great game from a great dev like Insomniac.

I don't understand all this immediate hostility.

And what is the connecting tissue between those games?

Platinum developed both. Both of them are subpar. Yet somehow, Platinum gets no flack for it.

You do realize Activision published both of those games, right?

Yes. My point is that Platinum can make a bad game as well. People have blamed Activision for TMNT and Korra, but I don't think they are solely the ones to blame for both of those games not living up to expectations. No developer is infallible

Vinland

Banned
leasing spidey to Marvel paying off.

That is my thinking too. Sony gets a box office smash without any hard work. And they get an exclusive ps4 title and hand it to THE best developer for the job.

Of all the stuff shown off that blew me away I can't help but wait in excitement for this title. Sunset Overdrive is my favorite new IP next to Bloodborne this gen and THE reason I still have my Xbone tbh. Insomniac doing Thanatos' work here on earth.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Dear Marvel, please give Deadpool, Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool or all three to Platinum Games!

Spidey with Insomniac is an awesome start to finally having good games made by devs not called Capcom.

i really don't get the Platinum love on this site. All the games they do look super lame and samey.

Looks so fucking cool, and this comes from someone who just "likes" Spiderman.

Really glad for Insomniac too! I bet they're having a blast making this, and I have the utmost confidence they'll dethrone Rocksteady on the makers of the best comic book game hehe

Famassu

I'm so happy

That's what you get with what was probably a severely limited dev schedule. Nothing to do with Platinum's skills when it's likely Activision didn't give them the necessary time/resources to do a better job. I mean, didn't Acti basically demolish their licenced games producing arm just months before TMNT's release? Doesn't really show much confidence in putting big enough bucks behind games like TMNT.

If Sony licensed a Marvel IP, gave it to Platinum with 2-3 years to develop it with a budget in the tens of millions, there's no doubt it'd be good.

i really don't get the Platinum love on this site. All the games they do look super lame and samey.
Lolno. Vanquish is completely different from Bayonetta which is completely different from Wonderful 101 which is completely different from Anarchy Reigns which looks nothing like Scalebound. Transformers Devastation is somewhat of a Bayonetta in Transformers skin, but it's a low budget game so some repetition of what they've done well in the past instead of something completely new & groundbreaking isn't that unreasonable.

Kas

It's like what I imagined those old PS1 games would look like in 5 years when I was 6-7.

I can't wait. It's going to be amazing, and that voice sounds incredibly familiar, I just can't place it. It's a good fit.

ZeroX03

Banned
Platinum developed both. Both of them are subpar. Yet somehow, Platinum gets no flack for it.

Because they were rushed and low budget at the behest of Activision. They're churning out these games in a year (and Transformers managed to be good) compared to 2-4 years for most companies. Nobody is mad at them because they understand that they're cheap licensed games to pay the bills.

AntMurda

Because they were rushed and low budget at the behest of Activision. They're churning out these games in a year (and Transformers managed to be good) compared to 2-4 years for most companies. Nobody is mad at them because they understand that they're cheap licensed games to pay the bills.

Mad World and Anarchy Reigns aren't dime pieces either.

Neoxon

They can't do Deadpool, Marvel banned him from appearing in post-Contest of Champions games.

Man I really hope this game is good and atleast on the level with spiderman 2 on ps2. Haven't played a good spiderman game in a long time.

Hard to say, but i'm going to imagine that the videogame publishing rights were sold to Sony as a part of the deal with Marvel to get Spider-man into the MCU, since they're the ones publishing this & not Activision. Having said that, its hard to imagine that if this game is successful, that Marvel would mess with this arrangement, as who knows how long Sony owns the publishing rights to Spider-Man.

So yeah, until something comes up, its best to assume we won't be seeing a full console Spider-man game like this anywhere else.

If it became Marvel's "Arkham" series that would be huge for Sony. and it might be a deal like letting them use more characters in return of releasing on other consoles with future games even if its a timed exclusive.

lupinko

Mad World and Anarchy Reigns aren't dime pieces either.

MadWorld was a great game on Wii.

Great controls and good use of Waggle, gameplay designed by GOAT dev Tokuro Fujiwara with Yasumi Matsuno (another GOAT) who did the script.

It also had a badass soundtrack and John DiMaggio.

Anarchy Reigns had good gameplay but lack of modes and unsatisfactory netcode put a kibosh on that.

Vinland

Banned
Am I the only one who would love to see Venom be in the game both as story npc character but also as a potential co-op style character you can play together with?

Even though Venom has been spider mans adversary there are multiple times that they worked together for the greater good.

Probably won't happen. Venom is getting an out of MCU movie if the script does t fall through and Marvel is probably working close with Insomniac for this game. It may be too confusing to attach Venom too close to Spider-Man ATM. Unless... That is how Marvel Trojan horses Venom into the MCU based on fan feedback of the Sony game lol.

The dark alliance of Marvel and Sony may have some plot twists yet to be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom