• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you go about making a Spider-Man game as good as an Arkham game?

Arkham really worked because it had multiple layers of gameplay. Stealth, action, and investigation that really allowed for fleshing out character back stories etc

I hope this game delivers more than just a basic open world with web slinging and fighting

webkatt

Still prefer white :/

Why not both!?

5SB121k.png

Zerojul

Arkham really worked because it had multiple layers of gameplay. Stealth, action, and investigation that really allowed for fleshing out character back stories etc

I hope this game delivers more than just a basic open world with web slinging and fighting
I see what you mean but the fact that Parker also has a part in the game could imply multiple layers of gameplay in this.
Anyway amazing trailer, best thing of the show so far for me.

Theecliff

Banned
if they nail swinging, its half the job done
i haven't played a spider-man game since the spider-man 3 movie tie-in (which was fairly disappointing) but i'm still kind of amazed that other developers apparently haven't nailed the swinging since

so pleeeeeeease get it right insomniac

just look at treyarch's spider-man 2 swinging and build from there

Kinda shocking how much the white on Spidey's suit is throwing me off.

Make the spider symbols black and the hand parts red and the suit would be great.

EDIT: But really who cares. Big budget Insomniac developed open world Spider-Man/Peter Parker game omg. Guessing the Pete sections will be the Clank sections of this game.

And like every else is saying, please get the web slinging right. It's been too long.

Wollan

What an unusual combo of elements being Marvel/Spiderman IP + Insomniac + published exclusively by Console platform holder. Game looks Great. Biggest Insomniac production ever? Sign me up day 1. It's good to see Insomniac work on a *huge* AAA title that has multi-million seller written all over it. Last time was Resistance 2 it seems.

edit: Does this mean we will receive a PS4 with Spiderman font now?

Game of the show for me. Hyped out as soon as I realized what was going on. I need this in my life. The potential of GOAT Spiderman game plus alternate costumes, plus cameos. We are not worthy.

I am playing Batman Arkham Knight now. If they use swinging like batman do then it would be great. Swinging in the air with no tall building near me looks fake.

Easily one of the highlights of E3 for me, thus far. I'd kind of forgotten about it/didn't think it'd be shown at the presser, and my jaw dropped when it was. It looks so. damned. good.

I've always enjoyed Spider-Man games, since the days of red cartridge Maximum Carnage and the Symbiote game on SNES. I played them all last gen, and all this gen, but am mad at myself for missing Ultimate Spider-Man when I took a break from gaming.

Shattered Dimensions wasn't open world, but it was great. It's too bad Edge of Time was so disappointing (not bad, just kind of ho hum because of its location and story and design changes). The first game for the recent film series was quite good, but the second -- which I played through twice because I hate myself -- wasn't very good.

The ones on last gen were always kind of glitchy, but I enjoyed them all.

maxiell

Happy for Insomniac that they'll be working on something with huge sales potential. Perfect pairing of developer and property.

Klyka

Banned
People complaining about the suit XD

Is it red and blue? Are there spider webs on it?

Gratz, it's Spider-man.

I can guarantee right now the game will have alternate costume skins like every Spider-Man game ever.

MAX PAYMENT

i see a lot people saying spider-man 2 .. spider-man 2 .. web of shadow had the best swinging in any spidy game.

edit: so happy for insomniac. the deal with activison supposedly ended at 2014.. they are not saying how much time they had with the game but hopefully it will be worth the hype.

People saying Spiderman 2 haven't played the game in years. It has aged so, so poorly. Even the swinging.

It will be faster pace, it seems. I'm sure there will be elements that use "spidey-sense". We haven't seen a modern Spiderman game in awhile, at least one that has gone back to an open world. With what Insomniac can accomplish in this setting it can add some new vitality to the series as a game, with visuals that were not possible before. If Spidey moves as fluid as he does in the trailer I can only imagine how good this game will feel to play.

DrBo42

Gratz, it's Spider-man.

I can guarantee right now the game will have alternate costume skins like every Spider-Man game ever.

Passionate comic fans on GAF, bud. Only white elements on Spidey have been the eyes (except on the symbiote suit and maybe other very specific designs). It's really jarring to us.

My favourite surprise of E3 so thus far. Dissapointed it's Sony even though I have a PS4 though as I'd like to have played this on PC. Still looking forward to it though. Good old return to Spiderman 2 days. But maybe with the Rocksteady level treatment with a great new combat system and story.

Sony had a lot of incredible looking games at their conference.

This is the one that made me go "wow".

I am a billion percent ready for a really great Spidey game. Please don't disappoint Insomniac.

Gratz, it's Spider-man.

Found the white a little weird at first but it's growing on me. I kinda wish the bottom part had more red on the lower legs rather than the thigh, as it is the desgin looks "top heavy".

My idea long times ago: rescue NPC missions, time missions (go from A to B in fixed track or pizza delivery), investigate missions a.k.a Spider sense or detective mode in Arkham fashion, taking pictures missions.

dan2026

I'm sure there will be a ton of alternative costumes.
So I'm not to worried about the middling standard suit.

Just hope the villains look good.

Piccoro

Any comic book connoisseurs around here?
I read that some Spider-man fans are saying that the goons that appear on the video are similar to the henchmen of Mr. Negative.

250px-Mister_Negative.jpg

I wonder if he will be one of the villains. He never appeared in a Spidey game before, right?

BlackHeron

Neo Member
My prediction for release date is between spring 2017 and summer 2017.
Taking a look on the Linkedin page for the creative director for this game, it looks like they have been working for almost 2 years now.
I can see this being a 3 years dev cycle game. But who knows, there could be delays.

I could be wrong but while Disney own the rights to most of Marvel universe these days I'm pretty sure it's Sony that owns the rights to the Spider-Man franchise. Hence it makes sense for them to secure an exclusive of their own property. Unless Disbey bought Spider-Man recently?

Sony only owns the film rights. Everything else(merchandising, comics, games, tv, etc) belongs to Disney.

Wollan

Spiderman Homecoming is releasing July 7th 2017. I could see this being either a huge May or September release next year if they want to cash in on the movie hype.

Suzzopher

I am guessing Spider-Man is the first in a long line of Sony produced Marvel games, in the same way Star Wars and EA are doing things.

I am guessing Spider-Man is the first in a long line of Sony produced Marvel games, in the same way Star Wars and EA are doing things.

I dunno about that. Sony has been distributing the Spider Man films too so they have a bigger vested interest in the IP. Will likely just get more spider man games from them partnering with insomniac if this is a big success.

I'd love a well done Superman game one of these days. It's so hard to get the concept right in game so devs don't even bother anymore but a moment like:
1674834_orig.gif

in an in game trailer/gameplay would be crazy. Batman's had his due, Spiderman has come close to being good with the 2nd movie game. But this insomniac title is it's best shot at getting a great one. I wanna see if somebody can do something great with one of these flying heroes.
Asura's Wrath meets an arcade flight sim or something.

Any comic book connoisseurs around here?
I read that some Spider-man fans are saying that the goons that appear on the video are similar to the henchmen of Mr. Negative.

250px-Mister_Negative.jpg

I wonder if he will be one of the villains. He never appeared in a Spidey game before, right?

No, I don't believe he's actually shown up in a Spidey game yet. Hoping his inclusion means other cool comic rogues make an appearance as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom