• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
dont like the second son comparisons, sure it was pretty at launch but the city was lifeless, nyc is the antithesis to sucker punch's seattle, it has to be bustling everywhere they let you go or the whole thing falls apart.

it looked really busy in the trailer which is promising, hopefully there is not too much cut and paste going on with assets. its tricky, you gotta hit that vibrant/alive city feeling from above when spidey is swinging, but you dont want that stuff to look bad when you're on the ground

if they have the resources/outsourcing and backing from everyone involved it could turn out to be something really special.

Second Son was almost a launch game and look what ND just gave us with UC4 or CDPR did with the Witcher 3 and that wasn't an exclusive by a first party studio even. I think these visuals are something the PS4 can pull off.

Mentok

Banned
I'm super excited for this game and think Insomniac is the perfect dev to make it. Can't wait for more gameplay footage!

Why are people questioning if the trailer was in game or not.
After games like Infamous SS, Witcher3, MGSV, I expect even better graphics than what we have seen in the trailer once the game is released

DrBo42

Why are people questioning if the trailer was in game or not.
After games like Infamous SS, Witcher3, MGSV, I expect even better graphics than what we have seen in the trailer once the game is released

I'm more concerned of what it'll look like while swinging in the city proper. LOD is going to be a bitch. Top speed you can reach might not be very fast just so they can stream assets in. That would be my biggest fear. Hell, you could go so fast in Spider-Man 2, you could hit a part of the city the PS2 hadn't even streamed in yet.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif

Probably been addressed, but why is Spiderman accelerating in mid-air?

You can see in the gif that he webs the top of the window, then pulls himself through it. In higher resolution video, you can see the webs.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think I've be excited for a Super hero game like this before, even Batman Arkham is nothing compared to the sheer excitement I got watching that trailer

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I imagine it's the same engine as Sunset Overdrive, which I'd always assumed was in-house. Presumably the same they've been using since the PS2 days...?

We redid the whole engine from scratch for Fuse. That engine was used for Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet & Clank, our VR games, and now this

Slixshot

Banned
I don't need a redesigned costume, but this is the most exciting thing I've seen today. Pretty sure I saw Rhino in there with a weird mask too. I'd rather not have everyone redesigned, like Rocksteady and NRS do. Why can't we just have a good comic book game with characters that look normal?

Ign rewind trailer says that's not rhino but a henchman of Mister Negative.

1126403-spidey_and_inner_demons.jpg

I love the idea of Activision execs looking at the reaction people are having to that trailer and being shocked. "Wait...so if we made a game that looked good, people would freak out like this to the point of even buying a console for it?" It's amazing what happens when you give a competent team enough time and resources.

I can imagine Activision executives considered the partnership with Marvel not much further than a fail-safe investment.

Ploid 3.0

Looks like the game has been in development/plans for a long time. Brandon Winfrey (used to work at Insomniac, the Sunset tv guy) talks about it during this video. He mentions that's how he got his first writing gig, making a test scene for it a long time ago.

https://youtu.be/2IQ8qACTsC0?t=302 Time = 5:03 mark.

"This is like a more mature Spider-man" Though he followed by comparing to a 15 year old.

KingV

I really want to see gameplay of this. I'm excited because Insomniac is a good developer and I love Spider-Man.... But the entire trailer looks like stuff put together specifically for a trailer.

MMaRsu

Banned
We redid the whole engine from scratch for Fuse. That engine was used for Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet & Clank, our VR games, and now this

Mhhhhh I cant wait. Ratchet already looks amazing on my console :D

KingV the bits in the trailer look like gameplay.

Maybe jstevenson can confirm?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Looks fantastic. Ratchet is damned gorgeous. Now if only you guys would remaster A Crack in Time after finishing Spider-Man...and the Resistance Trilogy...*cries*

Toki767

Looks like the game has been in development/plans for a long time. Brandon Winfrey (used to work at Insomniac, the Sunset tv guy) talks about it during this video. He mentions that's how he got his first writing gig, making a test scene for it a long time ago.

https://youtu.be/2IQ8qACTsC0?t=302 Time = 5:03 mark.

"This is like a more mature Spider-man" Though he followed by comparing to a 15 year old.

I hope that means the game will be good to launch alongside Homecoming for maximum sales.

Slaythe

Looks fantastic. Ratchet is damned gorgeous. Now if only you guys would remaster A Crack in Time after finishing Spider-Man...and the Resistance Trilogy...*cries*

Resistance trilogy would be about as much of a waste of their talent as a Crash remaster by naughty Dog to be honest.

So I've watched this trailer like 5 or 6 times now and every time I do I get more and more excited. Probably in my top 5 most anticipated games, so fucking hyped.

Mensrea

I think it would be really cool if they implemented the villains into not just Spiderman's problems, but Peter Parker's as well. How cool would it be if you were walking around as Peter Parker with MJ, and suddenly Goblin grabs you off the ground. My favorite part of any good Spidey story is the interplay between Peter Parker's own life and selfish mean and the greater thing he stands for.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Resistance trilogy would be about as much of a waste of their talent as a Crash remaster by naughty Dog to be honest.

Why? The Resistance games are awesome, and a lot of PS4 owners never played them. It'd probably be someone like Bluepoint who'd do the remasters anyway. Ditto for the Crash remaster. But if Insomniac's schedule frees up after Spider-Man, I can't see why they couldn't do an in house remaster if they wanted. I think they have plenty on their plate for the foreseeable future, however.

Pif

Banned
After the commercial success of this game, I'd like to request right away a Hulk game. Make shit explode and collapse with this engine. Thanks Insomniac.

3N16MA

Banned
It was a bad idea for Sony to reach out to Insomniac instead of their own 1st party studio. If this becomes a huge success and they decide to make a sequel, what's stopping Marvel to cut the middleman out (Sony) and just go straight to Insomniac to make the sequel multiplatform since Sony doesn't own the IP?

Who knows what kind of deal Sony worked with Marvel once they allowed Spidey to join the MCU. Perhaps they worked out a deal involving this game or future games.

AntMurda

It was a bad idea for Sony to reach out to Insomniac instead of their own 1st party studio. If this becomes a huge success and they decide to make a sequel, what's stopping Marvel to cut the middleman out (Sony) and just go straight to Insomniac to make the sequel multiplatform since Sony doesn't own the IP?

Look at the title screen, (c) Sony Interactive Entertainment. Sony isn't stupid, it's a first-party title and they probably own the program like the Crash PSX games.

Slixshot

Banned
After the commercial success of this game, I'd like to request right away a Hulk game. Make shit explode and collapse with this engine. Thanks Insomniac.

I would want that in the hands of a team that focuses on destructibility!

If (When) this game is great... I want a sequel from Insomniac.

To me, these devs are literally perfect for the job. History with some good open(ish) world games? Check. Funny and witty dialogue from the cast of characters? Check. Fantastic creativity with weapons/powers? Check. Kick ass traversal and platforming? Check.

:) SO EXCITED!

I would pick SSM to make a Hulk game. they really know how to sell that rage and anger for Hulk, plus SSM is like the best studio in term of modelling body musculature.

Yes, it will be really terrible for Sony if this game turns out to be a huge success with one of their most trusted external partners.

Tbh, I'd rather wait on a Hulk game. We've already had a fantastic Hulk game that I don't think is getting topped anytime soon.

Plus, I want some lesser known heroes to shine.

DrBo42

That's pretty impressive. I'm hoping it can handle some serious traversal speed. Haven't played Ratchet & Clank but Sunset Overdrive wasn't Spidey level of fast. Hope you guys can pull it off.

Elandyll

Banned
Yes, it will be really terrible for Sony if this game turns out to be a huge success with one of their most trusted external partners.

I know right?

30488-Woody-Harrelson-crying-money-b-8fc5.gif

Looks like a (likely) win for all involved, but we'll see :)

Showed the trailer to my kids last night. Man, never hear so much wailing when I told them we wouldn't see the game until next year at best :)

[boots]

I really, really want a Paladin appearance. Also,

I think it would be really cool if they implemented the villains into not just Spiderman's problems, but Peter Parker's as well. How cool would it be if you were walking around as Peter Parker with MJ, and suddenly Goblin grabs you off the ground. My favorite part of any good Spidey story is the interplay between Peter Parker's own life and selfish mean and the greater thing he stands for.

I was just thinking the same, but more along the lines of a dialog tree when MJ asks, "Who's this?" when Felicia Hardy bumps into them.

I would also like a currency system involving strategically placing your camera before a fight to get the most money possible from the Daily Bugle or Peter can't pay rent.

Trailer and gifs pretty much made this a day 1 purchase for me no matter who's in it

Spinluck

I don't get the incredulous reactions. There's nothing in that trailer that's unachievable on PS4, and street density/interior detail aside, the game evokes Second Son's graphics a ton. Those particle effects, motion blur, PBR, etc. look similarly impressive to a game from 2014.

We're just so accustomed to trailers that try so hard to be "cinematic" but utterly and embarrassingly fail that a nicely composited and storyboarded trailer with actual cinematic flair ends up looking like CG :p

I haven't questioned it once. I know what the Ps4 is capable of and Insomniac has the talent and experience to draw that out.

I honestly think their lighting decision is what has people shook. It's aiming for that realistic look, but the lighting is evoking something of a fantasy NY. Close to what we've seen in Spider-Man movies, it looks great... and along side the fidelity of Spidey's animation is making people think CG.

If you watch reaction vids on YouTube, you can here people guessing Spider-Man before the Marvel logo even pops up. I know it has to do with rumors and whatnot, but I think it's because they nailed it.

Animation is super important for Spidey imo. He moves cooler and more graciously than any hero I know.

Spinluck

That's not really bad thing tbh. I would love this franchise to reach that success. Sony has two Spider-Man movies coming out the next few years. I think this will only help Spidey's public image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom