• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Announced: A Kojima Productions Game

The IGN Reviews editor claims there's a 50% chance the game will be cancelled.

@DanStapleton if you would like to discuss that with him.

They're going to cancel the game from the guy that they did this for?

kojimayhj84.gif

The IGN Reviews editor claims there's a 50% chance the game will be cancelled.

@DanStapleton if you would like to discuss that with him.

They're going to cancel the game from the guy that they did this for?

kojimayhj84.gif

Right? The editor in question was upset that Kojima may have revealed his game too early, criticizing others for deifying Kojima. And that's his prerogative. I'm not privy to the insider knowledge he may have, however he posed the question as if we had some reason to believe the game has a "50-50 (chance) at best" of happening. I find it a bit irresponsible of a prominent figure of a big time outlet for gaming news to just throw that kind of thing out there, but maybe he knows something that we don't. (Though I doubt that to be true.)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
god will this be a game about the way humanity destroyed the planet on their search for oil and how they woke up an ancient power because they dug to deep?

GavinUK86

From Kojima on Twitter:

Visited P-cap studio in San Diego end of Jan, met with Norman in Feb asked for his appearance in my game, Visited P-cap studio in San Diego end of Jan, met with Norman in Feb asked for his appearance in my game,Receive the data in April and we've worked on this for 2.5 months to make it to the suitable level.

Just re-watched the trailer and realised how wonderful this scene is:

4GT3WnF.png

It's perfect. The count and position of the figures is spot. On. Seriously, they're the perfect distance to still discern as human(oid) figures, yet eerily far away... Clearly a lot of thought went into composing this shot.
I'm in love with the overall aesthetic. Overcast, bleak... foreboding and ominous.

Beautifully mysterious.

TissueBox

It's also interestin' to see the reemergence of the whale motif, following Kojima's pull with Moby Dick Studios per the original PP reveal...(and the prominent Moby Dick references in the game itself.)

Akira

Übermatik;207419632 said:
Just re-watched the trailer and realised how wonderful this scene is:

4GT3WnF.png

It's perfect. The count and position of the figures is spot. On. Seriously, they're the perfect distance to still discern as human(oid) figures, yet eerily far away... Clearly a lot of thought went into composing this shot.
I'm in love with the overall aesthetic. Overcast, bleak... foreboding and ominous.

Beautifully mysterious.

It really is. Powerful shot.

One thing that I just noticed is that each stranded whale and dolphin each have an umbilical cord connected to it. In the beginning shot with the newborn baby and black umbilical short, we don't see where it's connected but just before he picks up the baby, the cord seems to head towards Reedus, suggesting that he was connected to the imaginary (?) baby. When we get a shot of his belly button, we see that it's stitched shut with a cross. This to me suggests something like The Matrix where each person and animal are connected to some sort of hive mind or network.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

r=2GM/c² aka Schwarzschild radius (sometimes historically referred to as the gravitational radius) is the radius of a sphere such that, if all the mass of an object were to be compressed within that sphere, the escape velocity from the surface of the sphere would equal the speed of light. An example of an object where the mass is within its Schwarzschild radius is a black hole. Once a stellar remnant collapses to or below this radius, light cannot escape and the object is no longer directly visible, thereby forming a black hole.

discuss

Or... Or.... Bear with me, maybe when he was doing his physics exams at school he could never remember some equations, so in order to not flump his exams, he got dog tags made with them on it.

It turns out that after leaving school he became a world leading, global prize winning quantum physicist, where one of his experiments alerted other species in the universe to our existence, thus, bringing to near end mankind and life on Earth.

This in turn brought to surface ancient sentient beings from deep within the Earths crust trapped for millions of years who's purpose is to protect the planet and restore order.

Norman Redus is one of these beings, distraught after waking up at what has happened to the planet he was sworn to protect and promptly starts bringin hell down on the aliens with nothing more than Chuck Norris fly kicks and mean stares.

EVIL

It really is. Powerful shot.

One thing that I just noticed is that each stranded whale and dolphin each have an umbilical cord connected to it. In the beginning shot with the newborn baby and black umbilical short, we don't see where it's connected but just before he picks up the baby, the cord seems to head towards Reedus, suggesting that he was connected to the imaginary (?) baby. When we get a shot of his belly button, we see that it's stitched shut with a cross. This to me suggests something like The Matrix where each person and animal are connected to some sort of hive mind or network.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

every living being in that trailer has a cord. even the crabs.

Does anyone have HQ version of this trailer up yet? I feel so spoiled having watched it via 4K stream in the theater. Now all I see is blurry YouTube versions and a 720p version from Gamersyde that seems to be missing audio?

bunkitz

Death Stranding - Black Holes, Time Travel, Huge Terminator Reference

Does anyone else believe this teaser's final scene to be inspired by Terminator? That's an interesting coincidence. Also, Arnold Schwarzenegger once played the role of a pregnant man...

Can't be a coincidence. And yeah, the first thing I thought of when I saw Norman Reedus' c-section scars was that movie. "Junior," was it?

---

I'm so excited for this game, and I really hope I'll end up loving it the same way I love Metal Gear. It won't be the same or on the same level, though, of course. I wonder what other possible famous actors/actresses Kojima might bring into Death Stranding...

I'm also really curious as to how the game will play. Kojima said it'll be an action game with a twist, similar to how Metal Gear Solid, at its time, was an action game with a twist. The twist being that you were not only able to, but encouraged to hide from your enemies. Considering the heavy sci-fi elements, and all the black hole and quantum physics stuff... I can't even imagine what it would be like.

I guess we'll just have to wait before Kojima can blow our minds again.

Right? The editor in question was upset that Kojima may have revealed his game too early, criticizing others for deifying Kojima. And that's his prerogative. I'm not privy to the insider knowledge he may have, however he posed the question as if we had some reason to believe the game has a "50-50 (chance) at best" of happening. I find it a bit irresponsible of a prominent figure of a big time outlet for gaming news to just throw that kind of thing out there, but maybe he knows something that we don't. (Though I doubt that to be true.)

For the record, this is the same site that claimed "The Last Guardian has been cancelled" thanks to a source in "Russia".

Roni

Gold Member
The central figure in the sky is the only one with its arms crossed in front of its torso, perhaps holding the baby?

Thank you, Kojima, for introducing me to Low Roar.

Right!? I'm very happy with that too.

I've watched this trailer a few times, and i normally don't really enjoy trailers that don't really give a strong sense of what the game will be, but the really superb tone, imagery and just how unique it is really makes me excited for whats next.

The highlight, along with better diversity, of E3 for me for sure

To me this trailer was more intriguing. In terms of visual impact, I think cinematography was really on point. Better than anything from MGS in my opinion...the last shot in particular is incredible. I have no idea how this is going turn out, but I hope he brings on some serious thinkers if he is going to tackle some complex topics.

Can't be a coincidence. And yeah, the first thing I thought of when I saw Norman Reedus' c-section scars was that movie. "Junior," was it?

You got it!

"Schwarz
negger'
s child" Radius

OK, that got me pretty good!

Looks like there's more from the Death Stranding subreddit...

So I saw this the other day so I started scrubbing through the trailer again last night to see if I could find anything. I found a frame at 1:35 in the trailer where the light reflects perfectly off the left-most tag.
QQWOrlG.jpg

QuwXmA7.jpg

It matches almost perfectly with Einstein Field Equations of General Relativity except it's missing an 8, so now I'm not completely sure. What do you guys think?
EDIT: According to r/AskPhysics, you can choose units so that the 8 goes away. This is definitely the tensor form of Einstein's field equations of general relativity.

J-Skee

I have absolutely no idea what this game is about. All I know is that it's an action game. And if it controls as tightly as MGSV did, then take all my money. I really hope the next reveal is gameplay.

I feel like you may be thinking too deeply into this. It's just a piece of cynicism, nothing more. Kojima has a history of projects that go wildly over budget, ballooning into financial kerfuffles that aren't always justified by the sales numbers. Death Stranding is going to reveal how much of the chaos surrounding his past projects was tied to Konami, and how much was the man himself.

Now, do I think Death Stranding will be cancelled? Of course not. But I can't blame anybody for being skeptical.

New Terrence Malick flick confirmed!

Not sure how I feel about prominent actors in video games, something about Norman Reedus showing up here seems goofy to me. Somehow it doesn't bother me obviously to see actors in various other screen roles but I'd prefer a new, unique character instead of 'The Walking Dead guy'.

EDIT: Please no open world.

Is it a game trailer? A statement of intent? A devious red herring? All of the above, or something else entirely? Even seasoned Kojima-watchers have been tying themselves on discussion threads trying to decipher what's going on.

"There are a lot of hints in there, hidden," says Kojima with an impish smile. "The world having this discussion about what this teaser means was kind of the objective. That's what I wanted to happen.

As you might expect Kojima isn't about to spoil his own fun now by going into specifics. "It would be like telling you who's the killer in a mystery novel," he explains, relishing the challenge he has set. So I run a few fan theories by him instead.

Is the baby a clone of Norman Reedus' character?

Kojima shakes his head laughing, not needing to wait for his translator to convert the words into Japanese. "I read that one! That one is off!"

Okay, how about the scientific equations some sharp-eyed fans discovered on the tags around Reedus' neck (specifically The Schwarzschild Radius and the Dirac Equation). Do they indicate he fell through a black hole?

Kojima stops laughing and pulls a face that may or may not indicate a nerve has been touched. He thinks carefully before deliberately replying: "What I will say is, I wanted people to find those...'

What about the theory the baby is actually Metal Gear Solid 5 and the whole thing is actually an elaborate riposte to your former employers Konami? Another shake of the head but at last a clue to that killer.

"Part of the trailer is based on the song 'I'll Keep Coming' [by Icelandic band Low Roar]. I will keep coming; Norman Reedus and [long-time design collaborator] Kyle Cooper will keep coming back; waves are a big theme. As for Konami? I thought people might link it but there's no connection in there."

Link to the full article at Eurogamer: Hideo Kojima on going with Sony - and what Death Stranding could possibly mean

dr guildo

This is my vision :

-Handprints filled with oil represent the destructive and irresponsible behavior of the Humanity (homo sapiens) toward The Earth and the Nature. This idea is reinforced by the way handprints are disposed on the sand around Norman Reedus, exactly the same way felines (here predator for the Earth which is the prey) are walking, with the opposite paw crossing the path of the other one.
Just have a look how the left hand comes on the right side, and the right hand comes on the left one, as if hands were inverted. this is the way predators like panther or lion are walking.
Norman's body is covered with clean handprints, because the predator smelt and recognized him as part of its kind.

-Umbilical cords represent the connection between all life forms on Earth.

-The fact that Norman Reedus has no more navel just shows the idea that, we, Human beings have pulled ourselves apart from the Nature by cutting our umbilical cord by ourselves, the cross form of the scar just shows that it is human made and made on purpose, we deliberatly cut off ourselves from the rest of the planet.

-The Baby represents the future that we have killed, that's why the baby suddenly disappears, Norman cries because he knows what humanity have done to the planet, Humanity was acting like a cancer, and now everything is dead, we have lost the planet.

-To prove my point, the hands of the baby and Norman's ones are painted with oil, at this very moment, we understand that the culpability is in the hands of the whole Humanity represented here by Norman and the baby, who would have been guilty because being in the same process.

-Handcuffs on one hand means that Humanity is guilty but that the burden of this culpability is to share with something or someone else or maybe... It can also mean that we are indeed guilty but there is still time to repair things.

Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell...

This is my vision :

-Handprints filled with oil represent the destructive and irresponsible behavior of the Humanity toward The Earth and the Nature.

-Umbilical cords represent the connection between all life forms on Earth.

-The fact that Norman Reedus has no more navel just shows the idea that, we, Human beings have pulled ourselves apart from the Nature by cutting our umbilical cord by ourselves, the cross form of the scar just shows that it is human made and made on purpose, we deliberatly cut off from ouselves from the rest of the planet.

-The Baby represent the future that we have killed, that's why the baby suddenly disappears, Norman cries because he knows what humanity have done to the planet, Humanity was acting like a cancer, and now everything is dead, we have lost the planet.

-To prove my point, the hands of the baby and Norman's ones are painted with oil, at this very moment, we understand that the culpability is in the hand of the Humanity represented here by Norman.

-Handcuffs on one hand means that Humanity is guilty but that the burden of this culpability is to share with something or someone else or maybe it can also mean that that we are indeed guilty but there is still time to repair things.

Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell...

Whoa, this is great. This is what makes the reveal so exciting. No matter how far off Death Stranding may be, the game has already begun!

Tonky

So we know that it's third person and everything, but for some reason I can't imagine how this game will play. Superpowers? Shooter? Melee?

DieH@rd

Banned
So we will find out on what is Cerny working now. Interesting. He is usually only consulting on game/HW projects. Hopefully he is again directly involved in game making.

So we will find out on what is Cerny working now. Interesting. He is usually only consulting on game/HW projects. Hopefully he is again directly involved in game making.

It sounds more like they're just going to talk about where they think games are going. I wouldn't expect Cerny to announce a game there. Plus he's working on Death Stranding (he's the technical producer).

The next HideoTube is looking like it'll be released some time next week. It's supposed to be rather lengthy according to KojiPro. It was shot at SIE Japan and they're going to be talking about E3 as well as including behind the scenes footage.

Top Bottom