• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Thewonandonly

I didn't really get the sense that they had another game with Sony, but the interview didn't rule that (or another console vendor) out.
Incoming announcement from Microsoft.

"We would like to indroduce to guys to assemble games. They will be making avengers for the next 10 years"

And I wouldn't even care

EDarkness

For Spider-Man specific console games, they will be made by Insomniac/Sony.

If you're asking if Spider-Man can appear in a fighting game or a MOBA or a mobile game or probably even a LEGO family oriented game, those are still open.

However, you won't see another developer making a core oriented action/adventure Spider-Man title for consoles.

So if I had a ton of cash and the means to make another Spider-Man action console game, they'd be down with that? (I'm just trying to understand how that works.)

Instro

Marvel Video Game Universe™. I wonder if they will take the opportunity to make use of characters that may not work in TV/film.

Sesha

Yeah, I believe that. I don't know who would be trying to close a deal with Marvel on that front though. (i.e. who would show the most enthusiasm right off the bat).

Hard to say. I would assume initial contact would be with Capcom US. Disney/Marvel and a potential partner like SIE, the latter having contacts with Disney and Capcom, have their headquarters in the US, after all.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Summary:
  • Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward. They want to find excellent teams and then dedicate the IPs to them so they can focus on quality. That's not to say Spider-Man can't be in a cross-over game, but you won't see something like Activision console Spider-Man games coming out alongside these.

Where does Activision stand? Do they have any licenses left or did everything revert back to Marvel.

• He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games. So far their two publicly announced partners are Insomniac and Telltale. He speaks very fondly of the LEGO games, but IIRC that's run out of the mobile licensing division.
  • Marvel will also only work with developers who are clearly very excited about the IP itself instead of just the IP's money making potential. He notes that he can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if someone is actually passionate about the IP in question.

GCF1z9F.gif

This makes me really happy. How many licensed movie tie-in games did we get that wer ok at best.

otakukidd

Here's my post from the Spider-Man thread detailing everything I was able to dig up on the infamous X-Men/Fantastic Four/Deadpool ban.
Dude they keep doing this and they wonder why the comic sales for these characters are going to shit. Their not getting xmen back, they should just accept that and use them for games and merchandise. They would make so much more money from those.

kurahador

They implied that the publishing partner is also important to them, and Deep Silver is a hobo company, so I suspect that won't happen.

Holy shit, ice cold.

I hope Marvel consider hiring Guerrilla making Guardians Of The Galaxy rpg game now that they have the capability for it from making Horizon.

ps3ud0

Marvel should just hurry up and buy Insomniac - I can see that being a potential thing. Theyll be the developmental arm while Marvel can organise publishing deals as per whatever works for them.

And to the people surprised about the Sony exclusive, you do realise that could have been something since 2002, its just that Sony Pictures decided to sell the game license rather than keep it within Sony because of how independent they are.

ps3ud0 8)

timberger

Would not bet against Sucker Punch currently working on another Marvel licensed property if Sony are really as all-in on this as implied.

I'm good with this. Been waaay too long since we had some genuinely quality, high budget superhero games coming out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if I had a ton of cash and the means to make another Spider-Man action console game, they'd be down with that? (I'm just trying to understand how that works.)
I think this quote will help explain it:

When asked if this meant Marvel's previous console licensing partners--Sega, Capcom, Activision--are out of the picture, Ong focused on the last of that group, the publisher behind Spider-Man console games since 2000 and the original PlayStation Spider-Man game.

"We've had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them," Ong said. "But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We're delighted about this partnership, and that's something that's going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There's many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man."

For the foreseeable future, if you want a AAA Spider-Man console game (as opposed to a casual/family or mobile game), your option is going to be Sony and Insomniac on PS4.

the man was literally against putting RDJ in Cap 3 because he didn't want to give him the pay raise lmao. so spiteful.

I still can't fucking believe that

Your #1 stunner not only wants to be in the film, but is happy to have his role expanded beyond the extended cameo that it was

And your response is to try and stop him!

Neoxon

Dude they keep doing this and they wonder why the comic sales for these characters are going to shit. Their not getting xmen back, they should just accept that and use them for games and merchandise. They would make so much more money from those.
I'm not sure if there's a correlation between the ban & their comic book sales (unless there's a boycott that I'm not aware of), but I do agree that Marvel needs to stop being babies & accept that they won't get the X-Men back.

Neoxon

Marvel Video Game Universe™. I wonder if they will take the opportunity to make use of characters that may not work in TV/film.
Such an idea may not work for stuff like fighting games, considering that they may not be allowed to use a certain character due to someone else wanting to introduce that character in their own game. It may be fine to roll with in movies, but it's just a giant mess waiting to happen for video games.

EDarkness

I think this quote will help explain it:

For the foreseeable future, if you want a AAA Spider-Man console game (as opposed to a casual/family or mobile game), your option is going to be Sony and Insomniac on PS4.

Okay. That makes sense. Still kind of a bummer.

dankir

I still don't get why we don't have the Marvel equivalent of the Batman Arkham series yet?

Jesus just give me an Avengers brawler beat em up please.

_Ryo_

This all sounds great. I mean it'll such for exclusive games but I think if each developer is very interested and a fan of the IP then it's probably for the best.

vg260

I just hate that Insomniac doubled-down on the "60 fps doesn't sell, so we're going 30" thing,

Hopefully the Neo has enough juice to run Spider-Man better and they can target 60.

Compbros

So Insomniac is now stuck with Spiderman? Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome and they're the perfect developers for it. But they've already got awesome franchises going on.

They don't need to keep making Spider-man games, Insomniac seems to be able to work multiple projects at once and still be quality, consistent releases. They've pretty much released a AA/AAA title every year since 2002. I don't think them being tied to Spider-man is gonna hinder them.

Marvel saying all the right things here.

It will be great to see how these all turn out over the next 10 years. I hope to one day get a great X-men game but I doubt this will ever happen. The movies have always been ok (FC and DoFP have been top tier) but generally would be nice to see something closer to the 90's cartoon I grew up with.

Even thought they won't be making tie-in films, it's more likely that they will be using characters who have become popular from MCU though, so characters from Avengers could all get games or cross over into each other's games.

F4r0_Atak

Get Form Software to do a Thor game.

Nice! I want that...

Daredevil by Insomniac Games. (Acrobatic character, Open-world, could even cross-over in their Spider-Man game)
Iron Man by Sucker Punch.
Black Panther by Sony Santa Monica.
Captain America by Omega Force. (By limiting the amount of enemies on-screen and making them tougher+smarter. The mission-based structure of their game would be a perfect fit.)

KevinCow

Banned
Huge get for Sony.

Really hope we get better treatment for Iron Man and Cap as opposed to their cheap tie-ins in the past

Tbh, that Captain America game wasn't even that bad for a movie tie-in. The sound effect when you hit dudes with your shield was super satisfying.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Where does Activision stand? Do they have any licenses left or did everything revert back to Marvel.

Activision sold the IPs back early for everything but Spider-Man film tie-in games, and it's plausible they sold those back as well.

There was some kind of deal later to let them put up their legacy titles.

That said, they say that Activision is out of the picture for Spider-Man specifically, so it's not impossible they're making some other game, but it's not clear to me who would actually be doing so for them.

Neoxon

Activision sold the IPs back early for everything but Spider-Man film tie-in games, and it's plausible they sold those back as well.
I thought the license expired back in 2014 & Activision just didn't bother to renew (much like how Capcom didn't renew their respective MvC licenses)?

Interesting that Activision are completely out of the window now regarding Spider-Man. I imagine these chess pieces must have been moved around as part of the Spider-Man entering MCU deal inked between Sony and Marvel. Maybe Activision were happy to give up their license early in exchange for marketing support from Sony with COD/Destiny.

I just hate that Insomniac doubled-down on the "60 fps doesn't sell, so we're going 30" thing,

Hopefully the Neo has enough juice to run Spider-Man better and they can target 60.
No matter how much power I doubt they go back to 60fps which is fine by me

Neoxon

All I want is an Injustice-style Marvel game.

And no, Marvel vs. Capcom doesn't count.
So Marvel Super Heroes 2 (made by Capcom, of course)? NRS already has DC Comics to work with, & their games don't last very long in the FGC anyway/

Steroyd

I really hope they change their stance on this. Good games can still be made and be played across multiple platforms. Granted, I have a PS4 and have no problem playing the upcoming Spider-Man game, but I feel like it's extremely limiting by keeping it exclusive with Sony. Having other consoles involved, even if later on down the line, seems like a better call for the fans.

*EDIT: It would be interesting if they assigned different character to different manufacturers. For example, Spidey would be Sony, Ironman would be Microsoft, and Captain America would be Nintendo. Or something like that.

Only if it makes sense, for example if the Crackdown devs actually deliver on what they're promising with Crackdown 3, then that would make a fucking awesome Hulk game.

Nintendo...I got nothing, Hawkeye's crossbow training? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom