• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2016

So happy God of War getting all them views. I honestly feel if they had just done another God of War with better graphics it would not be getting all this attention. Love the change in direction.

Also the view counts on games like Watch Dogs 2 are definitely deceptive. It wouldn't have 7 million plus views if it only has 40k likes. It must an ad in front of other videos.

Gwent is an ad in front of other videos and it's nowhere near these numbers.

I noticed how high the God of War demo's view count was the other day and wanted to compare to game I thought was comparable in popularity, Gears of War 4. It wasn't even close, Gears has less than a million views is there an explanation for that?

That Gears video is not on an official channel, it's just some shady rebroadcast from a random Youtuber.

Oh you're right, but I just checked the official xbox page and their version has even less, around 130,000 views. I know that teaser trailer was really popular, just odd the gameplay demo hasn't been.

Yeah, it's really strange how little of an impact this Gears 4 trailer seems to have had.

Well, first of all, Gears of War 4 was already known. There was even a BETA I think. So it doesnt have the same impact of a first show like God of War. Second, I think the fadigue is getting serious with Gears.

Sure, but I mean Horizon was already known about. Recore was already known about (Edit - seems this one might be artificially inflated via ads). The Last Guardian and Battlefield 1 and Detroit were already known about. Gears' number of views is just oddly low.

Gameplay demos don't usually get as many views as trailers. Hence that sound of silence trailer for Gears 4 having 15 million views.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

And yet God of War or Horizon for example smash that notion.

Well, that actually happens very often. In fact, the official upload (in the xbox official youtube chanel) has way less views than the one in OP. I think OP picked the trailers with more views regardless of official chanels or not.

In regards to that, there is something I just found it. Alongside the official upload of the gameplay demo of God of War in the PlayStation chanel (the one in the OP, with almost 8 million views), there is another upload from the GameNewsOfficial chanel on Youtube, that managed to reach 2.8 million views too! Here:

https://youtu.be/SljB_5WWOho

Which means that when aggregated we have almost 11 million views for the God of War E3 demo just with these two videos.

Ding, ding. I think we finally found our E3 winner :)

Insane number of views. I think it would be interesting to amalgamate all of the viewing figures together, but that would take ages for 30+ games, and at what point do we stop - maybe the top 3 view numbers per game? And then keeping it updated is a pain as well.

Prob not worth it, since all the numbers are different now, some changed drastically

Yeah, the OP is really useful and I find these statistics incredibly interesting, but without keeping it updated its usefulness is limited.

I thought people hate Kratos (well in Neogaf anyway).

I'm not fan of the old Kratos (he'd served his purpose but I don't want any more games with him), but this new character is very far removed from standard Kratos and exactly what I'd hoped for. Just that moment where he reaches out to touch his son and show a moment of affection before he hesitates and doesn't is probably better characterisation than anything he had in GoW 2 or 3.

Thank you for this thread. I had not seen the new Mass Effect Andromedia Trailer. It is really good!. So hyped for this. (Not so much for those with higher view counts..)

I liked it, but it was so brief and I wanted more. The game has been in development for over 3 years and is supposed to be launching in ~9 months, so goddamn I wish they'd have something of actual substance to show by now!

Why is the number of likes for games like ReCore and Ghost Recon so low? For example:

Spider-Man: 2.3 million views and 40k likes
Mass Effect: 2 million views and 29k likes
Forza Horizon: 1.8 million views and 36k likes

But:
Ghost Recon: 3.6 million views and 4k likes
ReCore: 1.7 million views and 7k likes

Is this because of ads?

Ghost Recon Wildlands has definitely been an ad, as has Watch Dogs 2 and Mafia 3 (I've seen them all). The two Ubi games have been much more regular from what I've seen though. And apparently Recore has been running as an ad as well, which would make sense from the number of likes vs. views.

FelipeMGM

Wow, everyday you learn something on GAF. Had no idea the ads counted as views, and you guys brought to my attention the views/like & dislike proportion and it is really weird.

Even a trailer like Halo Wars 2 which has over 4M views only has 25K likes with a bunch of trailers which have less than 2M having double the likes of that

PSOreo

No one mentioning Eagle Flight is right at the bottom? Thought it was a weird choice of game for Ubisoft(?) to have on stage. With the cost of a VR set-up renaming pretty high at the moment, it's a bit much to assume multiple friends will have the same type of headset for multiplayer games at this point. At the same time I'm guessing it would have to be online as I can't imagine the set up situation being the LAN/local way they seemed to be implying. Given how much PC power you'd need for each headset.

Wow, everyday you learn something on GAF. Had no idea the ads counted as views, and you guys brought to my attention the views/like & dislike proportion and it is really weird.

Even a trailer like Halo Wars 2 which has over 4M views only has 25K likes with a bunch of trailers which have less than 2M having double the likes of that

That must be bolstered by ads then, surely? Later when I'm back in the office I was going to drop all these numbers in a spreadsheet and try to get an average on number of Likes vs. number of views. I find this stuff fascinating - this is why I have a job where I work with statistics!

FelipeMGM

That must be bolstered by ads then, surely? Later when I'm back in the office I was going to drop all these numbers in a spreadsheet and try to get an average on number of Likes vs. number of views. I find this stuff fascinating - this is why I have a job where I work with statistics!

Yeah, totally feels like it was inflated by ads, not in the way Ghost Recon and Watch Dogs 2 got, but sure ads helped to get to almost 4.5M

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow God of War is climbing up to nearly 9 million in a week. That's pretty damn impressive . If it continues to stun at each showing and releases with some great reviews and an ad campaign like UC4's it could be a huge showing, maybe blowing out even UC4 itself.

God of War 3 opened to more than 1.1 million in debut month NPD which is higher than Uncharted 4 <1 million on PS4. The series has potential to do well in USA atleast.

God of War is less than 150.000 views behind Battlefield 1, gap was more than 1 million in OP. Brace yourself BF, Kratos is coming.

jett

D-Member
Sony haven't cared about GT in years, each game has seen a massive drop in quality and promotion. This GT Sport crap will be the first game that sells less than a Forza game - book it!

tmp_3353-greenawaltegdiqnp.gif

lol at gif

GT will still sell more, probably not by that much though. Racing genre is on the outs all around.

jett

D-Member
man FFXV! those numbers seem awful for what FF once was

FFXV interest reached a fever pitch in 2014. Then they started fucking up by releasing a demo to mixed reception (and tied down to some shit game probably didn't help either). After that they've just been releasing awkward-looking media at best. And frankly the game just took too long to come out after it was originally re-revealed in 2013, people have moved on to getting hyped for FF7 I think haha.

Squeenix's plan for making FFXV sell is just THROW MONEY AT IT based on their Uncovered show. Not sure how well that plan is going to turn out.

I'm curious why the Horizon: Zero Dawn trailer with 6.5m views has so many dislikes. The ratio of likes to dislikes on the gameplay demo is completely at odds with it.

DKHF

I'm curious why the Horizon: Zero Dawn trailer with 6.5m views has so many dislikes. The ratio of likes to dislikes on the gameplay demo is completely at odds with it.
I might be wrong but I think that story trailer is being shown as an ad heavily (which contributes to views) and thus there is a lot of people who don't care about the game being forced to watch the trailer and thus clicking through and disliking. I could be completely wrong though.

Memento

Okay so which of these videos got pushed as ads?

The ones in which there is a disproportion on views and likes compared to others with similar numbers.

For example: the Watch Dogs 2 trailer has 44k likes compared to 186k and 301k likes from God of War and Battlefield 1. Yet it is almost at 8 million views, almost the same as these other two. So Watch Dogs is clearly inflated with ad views.

I think the biggest example is Ghost Recon: Wildlands though: almost 3.8 million views, but just 3k likes. We can assume the absolute majority of these views were from ads.

cheesekao

I might be wrong but I think that story trailer is being shown as an ad heavily (which contributes to views) and thus there is a lot of people who don't care about the game being forced to watch the trailer and thus clicking through and disliking. I could be completely wrong though.
How exactly do you dislike an ad?

DKHF

How exactly do you dislike an ad?
Maybe clicking the ad doesn't take them straight to the trailer, but they could go directly to the video after seeing what they found to be an annoying ad and dislike it. Or just click the ad and get taken to the website, click the trailer embed there and dislike? It's probably a stretch but that's what I see being most likely. There's not really another explanation for that insane amount of dislikes (in comparison to other popular trailers).

Edit: Actually disregard that, I think it's just bots largely, in the comments there is a huge amount of spam.

cheesekao

Maybe clicking the ad doesn't take them straight to the trailer, but they could go directly to the video after seeing what they found to be an annoying ad and dislike it. Or just click the ad and get taken to the website, click the trailer embed there and dislike? It's probably a stretch but that's what I see being most likely. There's not really another explanation for that insane amount of dislikes (in comparison to other popular trailers).
That seems plausible but I've never heard of people going out of their way to dislike an ad so who knows.

Oh you're right, but I just checked the official xbox page and their version has even less, around 130,000 views. I know that teaser trailer was really popular, just odd the gameplay demo hasn't been.

Xbox presense on YouTube is terrible compared to Sony in general. Nearly 5 million subscribers compared to just over 1.5 .

And that's ignoring the sonyplayStation/PlayStation EU + PS Jap channels which have over a million subs between them.

It's not the only reason, but it's a pretty obvious one.

mookie

Neo Member
I'm sorry but this is actually a very poor metric of anything. I would want to know how much money each of them spent on youtube advertising for each trailer.

I had just read an article on how amazing the Xbox One S trailer was doing on youtube and then I watched a youtube video and was basically forced to watch the Xbox One S trailer beforehand. LOL. And yes those views count as an actual video view.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Updated a bunch of these numbers on behalf of the OP. (or because I was doing it anyway)

Battlefield 1: 8,436,563 views --- 301,669 likes
God of War: 8,303,591 views --- 187,680 likes
Watch Dogs 2:* 7,934,545 views --- 44527 likes
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 6,362,805 views --- 134,390 likes
FIFA 17: 5,771,336 views --- 122,869 likes
Spider-Man: 5,057,472views --- 84,035 likes (3 official channels - PS/Marvel/Insom)
South Park: The Fractured But Whole: 4,524,654 views --- 16,654 likes
Halo Wars 2: 4,341,384 views --- 24,858likes
Ghost Recon: Wildlands: 3,812,475 views --- 3,982 likes
Titanfall 2: 2,924,912 views --- 43,737 likes
Mass Effect Andromeda: 2,050,225 views --- 29,921 likes
Forza Horizon 3: 1,857.869 views --- 36.705 likes
Death Stranding: 1,737,856 views --- 13,784 likes
ReCore: 1,718,347 views --- 7,205 likes
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition:** 1,658,953 views --- 24,204 likes
Pokemon Sun and Moon: 1,684,673 views --- 35,550 likes
Horizon: Zero Dawn (gameplay demo):*** 1,420,027 views --- 23,724 likes
Resident Evil 7: 1,379,117 views --- 16,936 likes
Days Gone: 1,333,876 views --- 20,884 likes
Detroit: Become Human: 1,258,104 views --- 28,013 likes
Prey: 1,212,099 views --- 13,402 likes
Gwent: 1,154,168 views --- 2,240 likes
Quake Champions: 1,166,188 views --- 11,804 likes
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: 1,147,562 views --- 28,854 likes
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue: 1,084,534 views --- 20,776 likes
The Last Guardian: 952,257 views --- 14,503 likes
Batman: Arkham VR 922,560 views --- 9,379 likes
Dishonored 2: 864,177 views --- 17,599 likes
Tekken 7: 769,531 views --- 4,864 likes
Crash Bandicoot in Skylanders Imaginators: 752,768 views --- 9,414 likes
Final Fantasy XV: 751,903 views --- 9,254 likes
For Honor: 661,087 views --- 8,862 likes
Yooka-Laylee: 643,532 views --- 16,584likes
Gran Turismo Sport: 576,895 views --- 8,640 likes
Sea of Thieves: 592,684 views --- 6,985 likes
Scalebound: 498,632 views --- 4,762 likes
Madden 17: 493,999 views --- 3,632 likes
Gears of War 4 (gameplay demo): 493,227 views --- 2,889 likes
Dead Rising 4: 487,792 views --- 10,513 likes
Farpoint: 462,727 views --- 3,289 likes
The Elder Scrolls: Legends: 444,217 views --- 2,825 likes
Star Trek VR: 320,727 views --- 3,262 likes
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered: 298,516 --- 12,386 likes
State of Decay 2: 288,092 views --- 4,966 likes
Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 261,401 views --- 6,689 likes
Steep: 237,214 views --- 1,774 likes
Paper Mario: Color Splash: 236.363 views --- 6.372 likes
NieR: Automata: 231,186 views --- 6,509 likes
Ever Oasis: 228,414 views --- 4,166 likes
Trials of the Blood Dragon: 226,845 views --- 561 likes
Gravity Rush 2: 216,627 views --- 2,527 likes
We Happy Few: 215,953 views --- 5,762 likes
Bound: 183,871 views --- 3,864 likes
Just Dance 2017: 164,225 views --- 2,349 likes
Monster Hunter Generations (gameplay demo): 113,795 views --- 1,499 likes

*Although this is the official E3 trailer for Watch Dogs 2, it was uploaded last Friday, a few days before Ubisoft conference.
**Bethesda mixed in their Fallout 4 and Fallout Shelter news in with the Skyrim trailer.
***A true trailer was released for Horizon: Zero Dawn a few days before E3, and it currently has 6,524,843 views and 43,842 likes. However, for this thread, I stuck to videos specifically released for or at E3.

Share your thoughts.

crash7800

This may be a legit way to measure an aspect of enthusiams for the games that are lower down on the list.

But for the big boys that are up at the top, this is a reflection of efficacy in marketing teams.

The mechanisms for driving a huge number of views on YouTube videos are known and coordinated between YouTube and the companies that publish these games.

This also doesn't cover rips, Facebook views (which are becoming a big deal in their own way), native twitter views.

As far as YouTube, you're much better off looking at the Like/Dislike ratio, number of comments, or other factors which indicate actual engagement instead of ad served etc.

Memento

God of War is probably first if you count the PlayStation EU version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRhzFqA1f7o

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is also nearing one million on Nintendo Japan alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjPidZXIuzs

There is also this upload of the God of War gameplay demo on GameNewsOfficial, with almost 3.4 million views:

So yeah, God of War is by far the first. When counted together it is at 11.5 million views.

Ploid 3.0

Updated a bunch of these numbers on behalf of the OP. (or because I was doing it anyway)

I was hoping this was updated, wow Battlefield One.

There is also this upload of the God of War gameplay demo on GameNewsOfficial, with almost 3.4 million views:

So yeah, God of War is by far the first. When counted together it is at 11.5 million views.

This is all crazy. E3 seems like such a good place or time to reveal or start advertising your games (especially before E3 like WD2).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm still blown away by God of War. Was not really expecting it to be that well received but damn, the public is thirsty for more Kratos.

Ploid 3.0

I'm still blown away by God of War. Was not really expecting it to be that well received but damn, the public is thirsty for more Kratos.

They changed the game. I was kind of burned out on GOW, but this new game has a lot of freshness to it that I don't know what will happen, and that got my attention.

Top Bottom