• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggles

Banned
He had 4 millions, even Bloodstained from IGA look more promising and done with love and it had less money (1M ?).

If you want to do direct comparisons, Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity were Kickstarted projects with final budgets of about $4m.

brawly

Wasn't that the other guy who said that? Not Inafune. I only saw the clip, but it didn't look like he was translating.

things revealed on their stream:
- only 60% of the money went to game development
- instead of building base game and then porting to different platforms like any developer would do, they were done simultaneously. They completely underestimated the workload required thus delays.
- it was Ben Judd who said "it's better than nothing" actually.
- Inafune completely dodged the question about Red Ash
- neogaf comments were mean

- J - D -

That's a poster quote right there. But why stop there? A few suggestions:

"Hey it could've been worse!"

"It's completely functional!"

"At least we tried!"

"We didn't abscond with your money!"

Ludens

Banned
No wait, that line about microtransactions...lol.
Did he want to implement microtransactions in a game like this too? I guess he thought about it at least, thinking it was too much and gave uo.

I disagree, it is better to call it quits and refund everyone than make a half-assed product. Making a pathetic product means no one is gonna fund your other projects...
So it took 2.4 million to create this mess!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I infer from this statement that even Inafune considers MN9 development to be a debacle and he's happy to release a product at all. I'm sympathetic to this statement... it's not a callous FU to fans. It's an admission that he's happy to have shipped a finished product at all.

It's a debacle of his own making, perhaps. How do you fuck up a 2D sidescroller when that's one of the most deliverable, indie-friendly game genres of all? I think someone learned some hard lessons about scope creep.....

Frumix

Suffering From Success
sticker,375x360.png

he also said, "I'll own all the problems the game has, and if you'd like to hurdle insults at me, you're welcome to"... I don't know, the tone of that in writing feels aggressive, but it didn't seem cynical to me at the time. I don't know every part of this story, but I have some sympathy for everyone here.

That he did, this livestream is primed for cherry picking. Also, that was Ben Judd's opinion on the matter not Inafune.

1:09:00

meppi

I hope he responds the exact same way when the final numbers for his Mighty Number 10 kickstarter roll in.

duckroll

I infer from this statement that even Inafune considers MN9 development to be a debacle and he's happy to release a product at all. I'm sympathetic to this statement... it's not a callous FU to fans. It's an admission that he's happy to have shipped a finished product at all.

It's a debacle of his own making, perhaps. How do you fuck up a 2D sidescroller when that's one of the most deliverable, indie-friendly game genres of all? I think someone learned some hard lessons about scope creep.....

counterpoint, if it really is the most deliverable indie friendly genre, then why is there a perceieved lack of 2D sidescrollers? Why was there so much demand for a new Megaman type game and why were expectations this high? That suggests to me that it probably isn't easy to make a truly satisfying one.

TheYanger

I disagree, it is better to call it quits and refund everyone than make a half-assed product. Making a pathetic product means no one is gonna fund your other projects...

So it took 2.4 million to create this mess!

That's not a feasible solution though, I mean, by that logic it's better to just magically create millions of dollars out of thin air. If he wanted to refund backers it would've had to happen literally years ago for it to be even just a small loss. I'm sure back then he still thought the game would be good.

L Thammy

When I release a video game, I'm going get the PR person to get me an interview, look the journalist right in the eye and tell them "I mean, it's a game, I guess."

Recall

FLT and Shovel Night are the best video games to come out of Kickstarter right? Off the top of my head I can't think of others if there are...

tuxfool

Banned
If you want to do direct comparisons, Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity were Kickstarted projects with final budgets of about $4m.

I don't know the specifics on the latter (i.e. did they get additional funding from Paradox), but I should clarify that on the former there was significant work done (and money invested) on the game before it went on KS. That 4m was just to get it over the finish line.

Mdk7

Curious to see how this will affect his carreer.
I think we're at Itakagi FUBAR kinda level here, honestly.

BocoDragon

counterpoint, if it really is the most deliverable indie friendly genre, then why is there a perceieved lack of 2D sidescrollers? Why was there so much demand for a new Megaman type game and why were expectations this high? That suggests to me that it probably isn't easy to make a truly satisfying one.

Is there a perceived lack of sidescrollers?

I thought I lived in the era of Shovel Knight, Ori, Axiom Verge, etc. etc. I kinda thought we were saturated with them, actually.

Even games like Azure Striker Gunvolt show me that a Megaman-style game is very deliverable. Maybe it wouldn't reinvent the wheel... but the promise of MN9 was never to do that. It was supposed to be a spiritual Mega Man sequel, which is a tried and tested formula, and the fact that it creeped into something else is confusing......

jiggles

Banned
I don't know the specifics on the latter (i.e. did they get additional funding from Paradox), but I should clarify that on the former there was significant work done (and money invested) on the game before it went on KS. That 4m was just to get it over the finish line.

The Kickstarter only raised a million. The total budget for Divinity: Original Sin was ~$4.5m.

And it's already approaching profitability, Larian boss Swen Vincke told Eurogamer. Divinity: Original Sin cost around €4m to make, following a successful Kickstarter that raised just under $1m.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-sin-larian-studios-fastest-selling-game-ever

Wereroku

Is there a perceived lack of sidescrollers?

I thought I lived in the era of Shovel Knight, Ori, Axiom Verge, etc. etc. I kinda thought we were saturated with them, actually.

Even games like Azure Striker Gunvolt show me that a Megaman-style game is very deliverable. Maybe it wouldn't reinvent the wheel... but the promise of MN9 was never to do that. It was supposed to be a spiritual Mega Man sequel, which is a tried and tested formula, and the fact that it creeped into something else is confusing......
MN9 is the perfect example of feature and platform creep and it hurt the quality as he admits.

From what I remember, the kickstarter had the "fuckin Capcom for killing Megaman!" and Inafune's firing (?) hype behind it which fueled it.

rjc571

Banned
This 20XX game looks pretty damn spiffy. When Mighty No 9 is unlocked I think I'm gonna download myself a copy of that instead and leave my Mighty No 9 backer code forever unclaimed. I suggest all other despondent backers do the same! #SayNoToMightyNo9

BocoDragon

MN9 is the perfect example of feature and platform creep and it hurt the quality as he admits.

As someone who is currently discussing indie game proposals with colleagues... controlling project scope is rule number 1 of indie game design. I'm surprised an outspoken game dev veteran like Inafune wouldn't get this, even in 2013.

But maybe this is a hard lesson to learn for people coming out of the top-down Japanese game industry. Inafune is used to being relatively in charge... and was looking for more freedom if anything. Maybe he looked at Kickstarter like it was the land of milk and honey and all his wildest game ideas were on the table.... when it's more like a small allowance for a tight and focused game proposal.

MrBadger

I'd argue that the demand for a new Megaman game was amplified by Capcom cancelling Legends 3 and Universe, and people being scared that the brand was being axed. Mighty No 9 was about replacing Megaman and "telling Capcom to go fuck themselves", which is the narrative I was getting while it was being funded. High expectations obviously came from the names attached to the project.

I don't think there is a perceived lack of 2D sidescollers. In fact the narrative feels like the opposite whenever Nintendo announce a new one.

Talk about your lowered expectations.

FLT and Shovel Night are the best video games to come out of Kickstarter right? Off the top of my head I can't think of others if there are...

Nah, there's plenty of good stuff. Undertale, Superhot, Broken Age, Darkest Dungeon, Elite Dangerous...

Rolodzeo

- instead of building base game and then porting to different platforms like any developer would do, they were done simultaneously. They completely underestimated the workload required thus delays.
- it was Ben Judd who said "it's better than nothing" actually.
- Inafune completely dodged the question about Red Ash
- neogaf comments were mean

Train wreck.

The sad thing is people would have been happy with a game with the same level design and graphical fidelity as the nes megaman games.

The level design doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good and the 3d graphics look busy and ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom