• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2016: Hidden Gems & Deals

If you are a huge fan of Tactical shooters and Rainbow Six 3 you owe it to yourself to buy Doorkickers, it is basically Top Down RS3/Swat 4.

So, I have Broken Age & Life is Strange in the cart.

Any other Point-n-Click games that you guys would like to recommend me while I'm at it?

Thanks
Seconding Wadjet Eye's catalogue.

I'd also recommend The Longest Journey. But I dunno how well it runs on modern OSes.

Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus are also great, if a bit different from most adventure games.

Cry0gen-X

Neo Member
Wow, this game looks great! Thanks!

This is a classic. Never really tried it before. Was a Lucasart's nut before. Thanks!

You could check out King's Quest and Oxenfree. King's Quest is only up to episode 3 out of 5 though.
Ah yes, the new KQ is nice too. I've played ep1 on ps4 but I think I'll wait some more.

Wadjet Eye's massive catalogue. You've got:

- Gemini Rue
- Resonance
- Primordia
- The Blackwell Series
- Technobabylon
Wow, this is totally new to me! I'm sure I've never heard of the company Wadjet Eye before. Must preview each game from Youtube first.

p/s: Google'd Wadjet Eye and oh man, Shardlight looks fscken amazing!

Thanks for all the recommendations, GAF!

Tizoc

Wow, this game looks great! Thanks!

This is a classic. Never really tried it before. Was a Lucasart's nut before. Thanks!

Ah yes, the new KQ is nice too. I've played ep1 on ps4 but I think I'll wait some more.

Wow, this is totally new to me! I'm sure I've never heard of the company Wadjet Eye before. Must preview each game from Youtube first.

p/s: Google'd Wadjet Eye and oh man, Shardlight looks fscken amazing!

Thanks for all the recommendations, GAF!
I mention wadjet eye and a few other pnc games in my prev posts in this thread
Just search for posts under my username and ull find around a dozen posts filled with recommendations from me
On phone atm so cant link them myself :x

Cry0gen-X

Neo Member
I mention wadjet eye and a few other pnc games in my prev posts in this thread
Just search for posts under my username and ull find around a dozen posts filled with recommendations from me
On phone atm so cant link them myself :x
Save the trouble, I'll take a look at your posts. No worries. :)
Oh gosh, I hope my wallet is prepared for this. :x

Tizoc

Save the trouble, I'll take a look at your posts. No worries. :)
Oh gosh, I hope my wallet is prepared for this. :x
Dont worry im sure ull manage
2719.png

zulux21

Don't you need to play this locally? Always I wanted to play with my buds online..

I still need to test it myself, but from what I have heard, and from what I have played, you should be able to use something like open broadcaster to stream the game online and have your friends watch your stream and play. The few second delay from the stream shouldn't be a big issue as you get info from jackbox.tv not the host so it should run fairly well even while streaming.

the only time the main screen is important is when it will be up for prolonged time while you are voting on something.

I play it online with friends over Google Hangouts. Most of the games play well online though some games in the first like You Don't Know Jack in the first Jackbox don't work with the delay on a stream.

ah yeah I played that once, and yeah that wont work, it's like the single one where the main screen is the only place that shows the question and requires you to respond fast.

Has anyone played Subterrain? Seems like a really fun game with great Steam User reviews, but no one on GAF has even mentioned it in any of the three Steam sale threads. There is a demo, but I'd love to get impressions of anyone who spent some time with the full game.

For anyone that hasn't heard of it, it's described as a top-down, survival, rougelike game. Looks pretty good and is currently 50% off at $8.49.

Has anyone played Subterrain? Seems like a really fun game with great Steam User reviews, but no one on GAF has even mentioned it in any of the three Steam sale threads. There is a demo, but I'd love to get impressions of anyone who spent some time with the full game.

For anyone that hasn't heard of it, it's described as a top-down, survival, rougelike game. Looks pretty good and is currently 50% off at $8.49.
From during the winter sale:
Picked up Subterrain due to a recommendation in the other thread, and it's pretty cool so far. While the shooting doesn't feel as powerful and hefty as I'd like, the game excels in other ways.

One, the detailed grimy aesthetic

Subterrain_Sit.jpg
Subterrain_Sleep.jpg

CVl2bV-UAAAf6cT.jpg:large
CUpxi-SXAAAtwYK.jpg:large

Two, the game does a good job at making you feel like you're exploring a place that's falling apart and slowly getting overrun. You need to make sure your thermal regulator and oxygen tank is charged before venturing out. You need to keep the spreading alien mutation from spreading. You only have enough generator energy to power up certain areas and traveling between areas take in-game time, so longer trips means the infection will have spread more by the time you reach your destination or you might starve along the way

subterrain-world-map-final-preview.mp4.jpg

Darkwater

I'd like to get Underrail, more so because it has several recommendations here now. But I can't get over how the character models, animations, and just the world look worse than Fallout 1 & 2. The 2D art in those games was so excellent. Save for the newly added models of Fallout 2, that looked like simple 3D models and animations that were flattened.

Fallout: Tactics had a world that was a little too smooth for my liking, but that wasn't as bad as Underrail now.

Shout out to the original Fallout artists!

not to say this isn't a good game/ price, but the game is bundled all the time. in fact I own it 4 times over on humble bundle alone with two unused keys lol.

anyone want a copy :p?

(if anyone does I will send them out when I wake up, I am gonna go to sleep for now :p) - gone

I'm down for this if you still have one. :)

autoduelist

If you are a huge fan of Tactical shooters and Rainbow Six 3 you owe it to yourself to buy Doorkickers, it is basically Top Down RS3/Swat 4.

Speaking of Doorkickers, has any other game went down this route yet? We've got Frozen Synapse, Doorkickers, and Breach & Clear... any others I should keep an eye out for?

SOLDIER

Looking for hidden horror gems. I want stuff that's legitimately spooky and unsettling.

How's I am Pony? Is IMSCARED any different from the original (and free) browser game? How's the Alien Isolation Crew Expendable DLC (is it a good DLC to fire up before playing the main game)?

kionedrik

Speaking of Doorkickers, has any other game went down this route yet? We've got Frozen Synapse, Doorkickers, and Breach & Clear... any others I should keep an eye out for?

While I haven't played it myself, I read that Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion also has simultaneous turn-based combat like those games.
There's also Frozen Cortex but there's little point in playing it after Frozen Synapse as it is a clear inferior product.

Depends on the genre you are looking for.
For beat'em-ups there is Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons Duology.

Hmm idk, we play a variety but he is very picky lol. Right now we are playing Rainbow Six Siege, Grim Dawn, Risk of Rain, Helldivers, and Diablo III.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Daggerdale though.

Iron Brigade
Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light
Renegade Ops
Dungeon of the Endless

-Just bought
-Beat it
-Didnt like
-Will look into it. Look neat!

Is The Red Solstice any good?

Malfunky

Hacknet, $4.99

Bought Hacknet on a whim earlier today and played through a few hours of it. I'm pleasantly surprised by both how accessible and satisfying this game is. It's basically a series of very simple logic puzzles and basic memory exercises, but with an alluring, yet not particularly addictive charm. And I think the music really plays big part in that. I find myself just relaxing and getting into the beat while exploring these completely optional directories and files on random systems, laughing at random jokes and references and various bash.org logs. Enjoying my time fiddling around with different commands just to see if the random things I think of actually do anything.

Cool stuff. Thumbs up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Heya,

if any of you guys have Indie Game recommendations that arent listed in this thread yet, please come over and drop a post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239562

Every game recommended/included will be automatically included in all future versions of the thread, making it sort of a GAF recommendation pool. ;)

Hmm idk, we play a variety but he is very picky lol. Right now we are playing Rainbow Six Siege, Grim Dawn, Risk of Rain, Helldivers, and Diablo III.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Daggerdale though.

-Just bought
-Beat it
-Didnt like
-Will look into it. Look neat!

Is The Red Solstice any good?

Tizoc meant this Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara. It has two arcade beat em ups with loot and leveling. It's excellent.

galvatron

I recommend Transformers Devastation. It's not bayonetta in terms of combat, but as someone who grew up watching the original series, this game was something I never thought I'd see. If you don't mind the game's levels and controls making it feel like an HD PS2 game, this is pretty good fun with lots of eye candy. Well worth $12.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
005_HR_scr_PAXsouth.jpg

I don't think Hard Reset (Redux) has been recommened yet. Great old-school shooter with upgradable weapons. You only have 2 base weapons, but you unlock mods as you progress. Some of the main/alt combos are great, like a magnet that pulls all the robots to one point, allowing you to finish them off with a grenade. If you like fast paced shooters, this one comes highly recommended.

Looks like my recommendation for Refunct was overlooked? (Or maybe I accidentally posted it in the other thread, no idea.) But yeah, I recommend Refunct :). If you like Mirror's Edge's mechanics and don't mind low production values or short games (like 1-2 hours, maybe), this is for you. I really enjoyed it.

The OP hasn't been updated since the 25th, so if you posted it after that it's normal that it's not been included.

I recommend Transformers Devastation. It's not bayonetta in terms of combat, but as someone who grew up watching the original series, this game was something I never thought I'd see. If you don't mind the game's levels and controls making it feel like an HD PS2 game, this is pretty good fun with lots of eye candy. Well worth $12.

Also going to recommend this, as it's essentially the Transformers game I always dreamed of and sketched out when I was a kid, but with a bit more anime action and flair. I used to draw what more or less looked like the 1985 C64 game (only way cooler in my mind), and you could play as Prime, Jazz, or Bumblebee, transform at will, and shoot at enemies. Probably would've been pretty boring in retrospect, but my little tiny baby brain constantly wondered, "why can't they just DO THIS???" Devastation is pretty much that plus Bayonetta-lite. But real. And good.

TRANSFORMERS: Devastation - $12.49 (75% off)

Genre: Action Beat-Em-Up with Transformers by Platinum

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
005_HR_scr_PAXsouth.jpg

I don't think Hard Reset (Redux) has been recommened yet. Great old-school shooter with upgradable weapons. You only have 2 base weapons, but you unlock mods as you progress. Some of the main/alt combos are great, like a magnet that pulls all the robots to one point, allowing you to finish them off with a grenade. If you like fast paced shooters, this one comes highly recommended.

The OP hasn't been updated since the 25th, so if you posted it after that it's normal that it's not been included.

I bought the non Redux version because hell, 99p vs £15. I haven't played it yet but the demo was fun, sad to hear there's only two weapons forever though.

Ixian

I bought the non Redux version because hell, 99p vs £15. I haven't played it yet but the demo was fun, sad to hear there's only two weapons forever though.
You get a discount on Redux if you own the original (in the US store, it's $2.99 for the Redux upgrade). I played one level of the original version of the game and while I loved the aesthetic (I'm a big science fiction/cyberpunk guy), the bullet sponge enemies were a bit much for me. Redux supposedly addresses that so I'm debating picking it up and giving it another whirl.

Edit: By the way, thanks for this awesome thread. I'm more into smaller games now so I definitely appreciate recommendations that I might have missed otherwise.

Speevy

Banned
I am looking for any Steam games that are Zelda-like. I am aware of Oceanhorn, but anything else besides that?

Warden

Honestly though, you're better off playing a dungeon crawler than something that thinks it's Wind Waker, simply because it is soooooo not Wind Waker.

Decado

I am looking for any Steam games that are Zelda-like. I am aware of Oceanhorn, but anything else besides that?
It is early access and not on sale, but I suggest keeping an eye on Secrets of Grindea. Reminiscent of A Link to the Past.

me0wish

How is Kero Blaster? I could wait for it to go on sale on Humble Bundle, but it seems rather obscure so I have no idea when that could happen.

I thought it was an amazing game, it's pretty short, but its one of those games with perfect pacing, solid game play and a great OST. The story is minimalistic but very enjoyable, it kept making me smile through out the game and I was intrigued to whats going to happen next.

Minor spoiler about game length:

Once you finish the game, ZANGYOU mode is unlocked, basically its a new story with almost everything changed, and the levels are much more difficult, I found ZANGYOU mode even more enjoyable and fun.

Hope this helps you decide!

Any good first person adventure/puzzle/walking sim games I should get?

Already played
- Alien: Isolation
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Gone Home
- Penumbra series
- Soma
- The Talos Principle
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

danthefan

It's probably not the most vibrant on genres but any recommendations for RTS games please? Probably haven't got anything out in the last few years other than the Homeworld remaster.

Top Bottom