• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Sonic 2017 Trailer (Holiday 2017, PS4/XBO/PC/NX)

The thing about Sonic's modern daytime boost stages is that they seem really, really expensive to make due to how large and graphically intense they are.

To me, stuff like the Werehog and Classic Sonic are put in because they don't cost nearly as much.

Yeah that's the reason. The Modern Sonic stages take up so much of their resources they needed extra content to fill out the game like Classic Sonic/Werehog. Regardless I hope the boost style gameplay or something that feels just as good stays with Modern Sonic.

It's still one of the stupidest things I've ever heard and never going to happen on a count of Boom pretty much tainting the Sonic brand now.

Sonic Boom the TV show has fairly consistently hit at #1 in its time slot, got picked up for a second season, and has contracts to air in over 100 countries. Sonic Boom is arguably one of the most relevant moves for the Sonic series since the 90s, even if it has a mediocre 3DS tie-in and a diabolically shit Wii U game. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but the idea that Sonic Boom as a whole has "tainted the brand" is actually a bit mad, as it's likely dragged a bunch of kids who'd never played any of the games to awareness of Sonic, just as AOSTH and SatAM did in the 90s.

wrowa

It's the lowest selling and most critically panned Sonic game not to mention Sonic Team themselves have nothing to do with the development of Boom outside of maybe some consulting. There is no reason integrate Sonic Boom in canon.

I more or less expect just Classic and Modern Sonic again.

Sonic Boom is much more than just the Wii U game, though. They are releasing a new game in a couple weeks and the cartoon is popular with kids. If they think that including Boom Sonic will boost Sonic 2017's appeal for kids then that might already be reason enough.

Isn't appealing to different age groups the reason why they re-introduced Classic Sonic in the first place? Classic Sonic for the people who got in touch with Sonic in the 90's, modern Sonic for the ones who started in the 00's and, well, Boom Sonic for the kids of today who got to know Sonic due to the new cartoon would fit right into the picture.

I'm not saying I expect Boom Sonic to be in this game. Despite Sega pushing Sonic Boom pretty hard, Sonic Team itself always seemed to distance itself from the Boom franchise. But, well, if Sega's marketing guys say that Boom Sonic is important for the franchise going forward and his inclusion would help the game, then it wouldn't surprise me if this is deemed important enough to include him.

Maedhros

I agree with this reading, the ending of the trailer is weirdly abrupt. I reckon there will be a longer one that continues on.

This is stupid speculation. There's a freaking Sonic Boom game coming, that's why Boom's Sonic is there.

Sonic Mania for Classic, Sonic 2017 for Modern, Sonic Boom Fire & Ice for Boom.

oh good a 3d sonic, i was worried that 2d one was the only one. not a fan of their 2d games. happy that generations is getting a sequel :)

Crayolan

The only modern game I can think of where sonic was exclusively playable was Lost World.

edit: I refuse to include Unleashed because of its gimmick.

Colors was exclusively Sonic.

Generations was exclusively Sonic unless you don't count Classic Sonic as Sonic.

Blueblur1

I will forever be sad that this boss fight, and this boss fight only, is cut out of Sonic 3 & Knuckles for... No real reason at all, I guess? Maybe to give Sonic 3 some purpose without being attached to Sonic & Knuckles?

Regardless, it sucks that this boss fight, which is arguably one of the best boss fights in the whole series, gets cut out of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
What? No. That boss fight is totally in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

- J - D -

Colors was exclusively Sonic.

Generations was exclusively Sonic unless you don't count Classic Sonic as Sonic.

I forgot about Colors.

When I say Sonic, I really only mean modern Sonic, who needs help wherever he can get it, like a rehab patient. I treat classic Sonic as a wholely different entity.

Blueblur1

When the S&K cartridge is locked on the boss fight is skipped.

You can only fight it in standalone Sonic 3 or by playing Knuckles story.
Pretty sure that is not the case. I recall fighting that boss and then watching the short transition into Mushroom Hill countless times.

Mory Dunz

270px-Mario_%26_Luigi_-_Paper_Jam_-_NOA_Boxart.png

Well, Mario and Luigi is dying and this game is an absolute bomb. It likely hasn't crossed 1 million yet.

I'm not saying it's due to "two mario's or whatever, but still

wrowa

Aren't most of the Wii games Sonic only? Secret Rings, Colors, Unleashed.

Werehog might technically be Sonic, but he definitely fits the bill of a friend character with a stupid gameplay gimmick.

But, well, there's still that other Wii game people like to forget. You know, that thing with the Black Knight. Yeah, it's better to forget about its existence.

Pretty sure that is not the case. I recall fighting that boss and then watching the short transition into Mushroom Hill countless times.

You're remembering wrong. The final part of that fight is cut for Sonic and Tails when locked on to Sonic & Knuckles.

Only Knuckles gets that boss fight (in a different area) when locked on. Good thing too, since the fight is actually difficult this time around, thanks to Knuckles' lower jump arc.

You know this is Sega/Sonic Team we are talking about, right? Doing the stupidest things you ever heard is pretty much their specialty.

The reputation of Sonic 06 didn't stop them from putting Sonic 06 stuff in Generations. The cold reception of Lost World didn't stop them from using Lost World stuff all over the place. Sonic Boom is getting bloody sequels and has a popular cartoon.

Sonic Boom is only getting one sequel on the 3DS. But still Sonic Team would not be talking about improving the quality of Sonic since Boom's release if they planned on including the series that just about killed Sonic and definitely killed that sub-franchise.

There are things you can salvage from 06 and make it work within the context of Sonic Generations (mostly audio/visuals which is exactly what they did). You can't really salvage anything from Sonic Boom. The gameplay sucks so it would make a horrible basis, the world and character designs don't really mesh well with regular Sonic's world and character designs, and considering Boom and Modern Sonic have similar character traits and share the same voice actor, it would be redundant as well.

I could see Sonic Boom maybe be as a one off joke but if some one were to seriously bring it up in a creative meeting about this game, I would laugh him out of the room.

I'm sorry, that idea would flat out not work.

Seeing some people actually defend Sonic Boom and this idea proves to me that fans should stay far, far, far, away from any sort of creative control over this franchise.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
No, he's correct. In Sonic 3&K only the first phase of that boss is fought in that stage and then the game goes on to Mushroom Hill. The second phase of the fight which is the part in the pic, is only the final boss of Sonic 3 alone or in the Knuckles part of 3&K.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Werehog might technically be Sonic, but he definitely fits the bill of a friend character with a stupid gameplay gimmick.

But, well, there's still that other Wii game people like to forget. You know, that thing with the Black Knight. Yeah, it's better to forget about its existence.

I said most for a reason, Black Knight has multiple playable characters.

Secret Rings, Colors, Unleashed are all Sanic only. 3 out of 4.

You're remembering wrong. The final part of that fight is cut for Sonic and Tails when locked on to Sonic & Knuckles.

Only Knuckles gets that boss fight (in a different area) when locked on. Good thing too, since the fight is actually difficult this time around, thanks to Knuckles' lower jump arc.

You know what? I was probably confused because I've pretty much only been playing Sonic 3 Complete, which I believe adds in the full version of that boss.

Blueblur1

I was remembering wrong. Immediately after my last post I looked YouTube videos and saw that you only fight the first boss. I guess I don't remember Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well as I thought I did.

I really wish we had new ports to play. :-(

Edit: I see the posts above. Yeah, I was wrong.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Had no idea this was a thing. Learn something new everyday.
Aren't those two series precisely in the kind of identity crisis Sonic is in? i.e. M&L RPG has always been an RPG, Paper Mario was an RPG too until Thousand Year Door, then became a sort of action game, and when people said they wanted a TTYD-type game, Nintendo replied "well, now M&L has that covered so no"? At least those two are a fairly minor series. They don't have any impact on the main Mario games.

Anyway, if you read my following posts, my point was not necessarily about "omg how dare they have 2 Sonics", but more about:
a) the fact they let the mainline 2D series fall by the wayside, pretending like all the 3D games are Sonic now
b) the fact that when people clamored for the return of Classic Sonic (and quality Sonic at the same time), SEGA fumbled for a while (see Sonic 4) and apparently couldn't make up its mind, so they made one game with 2 Sonics, 2 completely different gameplays, and both Sonics had to share the spotlight... When they could have made one 2D game and one 3D game. A game like Sonic Mania should have happened years ago.

It's nothing new that Sonic is searching itself - and really, by that, I mean SEGA is completely confused as to what to do with Sonic. The games keep introducing gimmicks (Secret of the Rings, Black Knight, Colors), changing mechanics (Lost World), changing style and genre (Sonic Boom), and the Sonic Cycle has become infamous. And when it finally looks like SEGA wants to try and bring the series back to its roots, you get a timid attempt at merging two styles of Sonic in one single game. Again, Sonic Mania is long overdue - and it could have used a little more ambition on the visual front -, and Generations 2 seems largely unnecessary to me. This new project should have been a 3D game only, since Mania is already covering the 2D bases and Sonic Boom damaged the 3D series.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the only series to face this degree of identity crisis is frickin' Mega Man. But at least SEGA is trying, and Sonic is still alive.

The whole concept of having two separate Sonics is still mindbogglingly stupid to me and a testament to Sega's inability to know what to do with its star IP. Imagine that happening with any other franchise and people would just be scratching their heads. 2 Marios? 2 Raymans? 2 Crash Bandicoots? Please.

But at least we got an "NX" thing at the end. Is that a first?

In the 'story' it's never sold as 'two Sonics' anyway; it's sold as the same character, just one is older, from the future. The previous game even ends with Classic Sonic sort of gesturing he can't wait to become the older Sonic and trying to do a homing attack (which is grimly ironic considering the quality drop). It's just a time travel & 'visting past self' story, which is... pretty common in a lot of mediums, really, especially given how much Sonic has changed - as a character, the worlds and characters that surround him, and the style and quality of the games he's appeared in.

It all seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's obvious it is part of soul searching, but Generations seemed to go well, so why not?

Sonic Boom is much more than just the Wii U game, though. They are releasing a new game in a couple weeks and the cartoon is popular with kids. If they think that including Boom Sonic will boost Sonic 2017's appeal for kids then that might already be reason enough.

Isn't appealing to different age groups the reason why they re-introduced Classic Sonic in the first place? Classic Sonic for the people who got in touch with Sonic in the 90's, modern Sonic for the ones who started in the 00's and, well, Boom Sonic for the kids of today who got to know Sonic due to the new cartoon would fit right into the picture.

I'm not saying I expect Boom Sonic to be in this game. Despite Sega pushing Sonic Boom pretty hard, Sonic Team itself always seemed to distance itself from the Boom franchise. But, well, if Sega's marketing guys say that Boom Sonic is important for the franchise going forward and his inclusion would help the game, then it wouldn't surprise me if this is deemed important enough to include him.

It makes so sense whatsoever for the lowest rated and lowest selling Sonic game to help bolster sales of this new game. Sega has always intended for Sonic Boom to be bigger than it was. Sure the TV show has done well considering it airs early in the morning but it never translated at all into game sales. This is the same, mostly young audience that would make Sonic Dash 2 be number 5 on the top grossing apps chart, not make Sonic Generations 2 sell.

I wouldn't count on Sonic being the only playable character just yet. The tagline itself implies a cast of characters rebelling against a great evil, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see more characters. They could be smart and make them Tails, Knuckles, MAYBE Shadow and call it a day, or go full ape and have another 20-character line up. We'll see.
Go ape! Go ape!

Shadow is a must. With a cool metal theme song.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
In the 'story' it's never sold as 'two Sonics' anyway; it's sold as the same character, just one is older, from the future. The previous game even ends with Classic Sonic sort of gesturing he can't wait to become the older Sonic and trying to do a homing attack (which is grimly ironic considering the quality drop). It's just a time travel & 'visting past self' story, which is... pretty common in a lot of mediums, really, especially given how much Sonic has changed - as a character, the worlds and characters that surround him, and the style and quality of the games he's appeared in.

It all seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's obvious it is part of soul searching, but Generations seemed to go well, so why not?

Good point.

I just look at it in the context of what Sega has been doing for the past 2 decades. I can only speculate as I don't know anyone at SEGA, but Generations has always looked like SEGA not being able to commit fully to one vision or the other... Which is stupid, cause they could simply do 2D games AND 3D games, instead of having one game mix two styles. What happens if you just don't like the 3D Sonic gameplay (or the 2D gameplay, for that matter)? Then you've only got half a game.

It would all be fine if this was a one-off game. I honestly didn't expect Generations 2 to be a thing. But then I'm reading that the first one has apparently sold something like 4 million copies, so...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Said Black Knight game is not Sonic exclusive.

Spitball:

Classic: 2D gameplay, like Generations, maybe just a touch slowed down.

Modern: 2.5D and Limited 3D (tunnel vision) hybrid. Gotta go fast.

Boom: All 3D gameplay, more exploration, closer to Werehog but not quite there. Probably a little faster than he was in Boom. Enerbeam stuff.

New Sonic: 4D Gameplay, while Tails runs around in 1D

...I don't think it's any coincidence that the only series to face this degree of identity crisis is frickin' Mega Man. But at least SEGA is trying, and Sonic is still alive.

Not sure I follow the bolded. Mega Man had pretty strong, stand-alone identities across its 5 main series and BN/Star Force, and each series pretty confidently put out sequels with the exception of some cases of miscommunication/lack of co-operation (X6~X8, Legends 3). I know the franchise had a knack for releasing some later games beyond when the next subseries had already started, but each subseries was pretty distinct in what it brought to the table.

Sonic is having trouble establishing such a stark divide between its subseries', or at the very least is stuck trying to decide if it even wants to. I agree that this game probably should've been all 3D (i.e. no Classic Sonic), since it would help make that contrast with Sonic Mania, but considering it's a highly anticipated anniversary title I can also see the need to fall back into the safety net. I think the biggest question on people's minds isn't so much about what these two games bringing, but about what comes after them.

Jay RaR

Going back to the edge eh?

Somewhat understandable since the campy stories of Colors and Lost World weren't really that amazing.

Cautiously excited for this. Just hope for more playable characters and for Modern Sonic to have all 3D gameplay (wishful thinking since the game might be using the Generations gameplay of 2D and 3D).

And hopefully the story will be better this time. If Pontac and Graff are involved again, the story is doomed once more.

I do appreciate that Sonic Team's put in a lot of work into Sonic's facial expressions. I swear he displays more emotional range in this one teaser than he does in many other entire games.

He actually looks pissed off, for one, which is rare.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Not sure I follow the bolded. Mega Man had pretty strong, stand-alone identities across its 5 main series and BN/Star Force, and each series pretty confidently put out sequels with the exception of some cases of miscommunication/lack of co-operation (X6~X8, Legends 3). I know the franchise had a knack for releasing some later games beyond when the next subseries had already started, but each subseries was pretty distinct in what it brought to the table.

Sonic is having trouble establishing such a stark divide between its subseries', or at the very least is stuck trying to decide if it even wants to. I agree that this game probably should've been all 3D (i.e. no Classic Sonic), since it would help make that contrast with Sonic Mania, but considering it's a highly anticipated anniversary title I can also see the need to fall back into the safety net. I think the biggest question on people's minds isn't so much about what these two games bringing, but about what comes after them.

Fair points all around. I feel I'm running in circles anyway. I was mostly venting, and I think there's something to be said for a slightly purer/tighter handling of a character and series (as opposed to doing multiple spin-offs and offshoots when the main line is on shaky grounds).

Daingurse

That trailer really only had the slightest bit of edge, and I don't see that as a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with Robotnik having a bit of menace, and for there to be some actual stakes. Sonic has had pretty epic scenarios since the beginning, and apocalyptic landscapes are no different. It's like people forget what is actually truly edgy. This is fucking edgy lol:

OldUnfitGalapagosalbatross.gif

I don't know, maybe it's because I grew up with SatAm and the comics. My whole childhood I saw Robotnik as an evil fucking tyrant, while Sonic and friends were desperate resistance fighters, so tone was not my problem with this trailer at all. It being effectively a short CGI teaser with no gameplay is my main beef.

TrueBlue

Seems like they're not following the Generations 2 formula as much as I thought. It doesn't hurt to try something new but this raises an eyebrow for me but will see what happens because the game doesn't come out for another year.

CoFgs73WEAA0cC2.jpg:large

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=32126&st=1110&p=788331&#entry788331

I still think this game will follow Generations in terms of formula. The existence of Sonic Mania does lead to a couple of interesting quandries however.

First one being: Will Classic Sonic here follow the lead of the gameplay in Mania? The Classic Sonic levels in Generations were clearly not 1:1 in terms of physics. Generations also released in a different context: Classic Sonic had not been seen in years and a true successor to the Genesis titles had not come about - a fact made all the more apparent with the failure of Sonic 4 Episode I.

This game will follow on from Mania, a game that truly follows on from those titles. Classic Sonic is getting more exposure than evet, when it was said at the time of Generations that his appearance was a one time thing. Could there now be a level of collaboration between the two games in regards to how the Classic 2D gameplay is done? I would love to see this personally.

This relates to the second quandry: what if Classic Sonic doesn't do 2D this time around, and is instead a more "classic" take on the Boost style? Sonic Mania almost renders Classic Sonic's appearance here as pointless, so maybe they will take a different angle. I discussed this earlier, and while I don't think it'll be the case, it's certainly within the realms of possibility.

Of course, that post leaves open the possibility of something completely new, which renders everything moot.

Damn it, I just wanna see gameplay now.

I still think this game will follow Generations in terms of formula. The existence of Sonic Mania does lead to a couple of interesting quandries however.

First one being: Will Classic Sonic here follow the lead of the gameplay in Mania? The Classic Sonic levels in Generations were clearly not 1:1 in terms of physics. Generations also released in a different context: Classic Sonic had not been seen in years and a true successor to the Genesis titles had not come about - a fact made all the more apparent with the failure of Sonic 4 Episode I.

This game will follow on from Mania, a game that truly follows on from those titles. Classic Sonic is getting more exposure than evet, when it was said at the time of Generations that his appearance was a one time thing. Could there now be a level of collaboration between the two games in regards to how the Classic 2D gameplay is done? I would love to see this personally.

This relates to the second quandry: what if Classic Sonic doesn't do 2D this time around, and is instead a more "classic" take on the Boost style? Sonic Mania almost renders Classic Sonic's appearance here as pointless, so maybe they will take a different angle. I discussed this earlier, and while I don't think it'll be the case, it's certainly within the realms of possibility.

Of course, that post leaves open the possibility of something completely new, which renders everything moot.

Yeah I wanna see gameplay too, knowing how little they showed about this game and it's pretty much just speculation at this point.

Sciz

Gameplay would've been nice, but I'll happily take the implication that it's Generations 2 in all but name.

Classic Sonic isn't going anywhere in these games as long as they're sticking with the boost formula. Sonic Team has to make the art assets more cost effective somehow, and he's by far the most successful way they've found to do it.

Honestly, if they made an entire gamed filled with levels as good as Modern Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill, that'd be just about the best outcome. Those two levels in particular showed that you can have multi-tiered level design work in 3D Sonic games. They're the closet the series has ever gotten to the design philosophy of the original games, and if they can capture that in 3D, that'd be great.
Here's a man who knows what he's talking about.

Jazzem

Classic Sonic isn't going anywhere in these games as long as they're sticking with the boost formula. Sonic Team has to make the art assets more cost effective somehow, and he's by far the most successful way they've found to do it.

Aye, it's a remarkably clever way of doing it as it doesn't feel cheap or unfitting, unlike werehog/emerald hunting/fishing/etc.

So you guys like excited for this?
Cautiously optimistic. If they're looking to make another Generations with new worlds then I'm all for it. If they're gonna bloat it to hell with weird characters and gameplay then I'm out. I'll wait til I see gameplay to judge.

Lijik

it turns out, sonic's best "shitty" friend was himself all along

So I'm gonna call it, the game has both modern and classic sonic travel into the future somehow and Eggman's taken over while Sonic's been gone and now both Sonics have to stop him. Basically Sonic Terminator. And the game is going to be way lighter in tone than that trailer let on. Hell the trailer isn't even that dark. Both Sonics are just as energetic and happy-go-lucky as ever just judging from their facial expressions and animations alone.

I think in the same way. My bet is classic sonic doing Sonic Jam style

Maybe this will be the 3D Sonic CD wih time travel and good future/bad future mechanics. Play as young Sonic in the past, or fix the future with modern Sonic.

Top Bottom