• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo's best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-28-nx-is-different-and-different-is-nintendos-best-option

Once again, Nintendo has chosen the road less travelled. Assuming it's based on the Tegra X1 processor, NX will be considerably more powerful than Wii U, but it won't match PlayStation 4 or Xbox One for grunt, even as those machines are set to be superseded by more powerful hardware refreshes. (There's a chance it will get the Tegra X2 instead, about which little is known - but that's pure speculation on our part, and it wouldn't fit Nintendo's usual preference for mature, cheap parts.) NX will instead be framed as a unique proposition: a portable console that seeks to erase the line between handheld and home gaming, supporting TV display at home and local multiplayer on the move. It's even turning its back on optical discs as a physical medium for games, opting for cartridges instead. The notable concession to normality appears to be a standard control set-up that should support most popular styles of console game.

Third-party publishers are not going to flock to this console; with its atypical specs and design and demographic, it's just too much effort to tailor to.

But let's not fool ourselves. The notion that Nintendo would, could or should try to compete with Microsoft and Sony in the 'traditional' games console market is deluded. It doesn't have the motivation those two conglomerates do to push their operating systems, online stores and content portfolios into people's homes. It doesn't have the stomach for the technological arms race they are initiating right now, with their cycle-breaking mid-generational updates. On a more fundamental level, its management doesn't see value in making the same product the others do. They think it would fail by the standards of the market (because it wouldn't take big chunks out of PlayStation and Xbox's businesses) and by their own standards (because it would be boring), and they're quite right.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and for all its apparent wackiness, NX is a child of necessity. It sounds disruptive, but it's actually cautiously strategic: a rearguard action on two fronts. Taking a historical view, Nintendo's success in home consoles is unpredictable, while its success in handheld consoles is dependable, but on the wane. As the firm strives to keep its hardware offering alive, it makes perfect sense to roll these two parts of the business into one, leaning heavily on its cast-iron grip on the portable market.

NX isn't just bean-counting, though; it speaks to Nintendo's very soul. The company has been trying, and usually failing, to synthesise handheld and TV gaming ever since the Link Cable for GameCube and Game Boy Advance. There's something about gaming as a tactile experience, in your hands, that has seemed philosophically important to Nintendo's designers ever since the days of Game & Watch. It must come as a huge relief to them that mobile technology is finally good enough that they don't have to choose any more.

NX is Nintendo's only realistic option. Doubling down on pure handhelds can only lead to diminishing returns at best. Competing with Sony and Microsoft would be even less likely to yield success, and more to the point, it would be pointless. The best route to graphically shiny Nintendo games delivered in a conventional format is for Nintendo to exit hardware altogether and become a third-party developer, addressing the biggest possible audience. If that is what the world really wants, then NX will fail and that is what it shall have.

NX is Nintendo's only realistic option. Doubling down on pure handhelds can only lead to diminishing returns at best. Competing with Sony and Microsoft would be even less likely to yield success, and more to the point, it would be pointless. The best route to graphically shiny Nintendo games delivered in a conventional format is for Nintendo to exit hardware altogether and become a third-party developer, addressing the biggest possible audience. If that is what the world really wants, then NX will fail and that is what it shall have.

Nibel

They need to differentiate themselves from the competition, yes, but also actually offer an attractive product; being different is not enough

Yup. Doing what Sony and Microsoft are doing is the surefire way to screw themselves.

This is what I'm telling constantly. I hear people asking another PS4 like console from Nintendo but that will fail.

On the other side of the coin, doing what they've been doing hasn't been working out, either.

consolewar1.png

The Wii was a goldmine for Nintendo. Wii U was a bad decision and launch overall.

IvanJ

Banned
I don't think this has ever been mentioned before, but have they considered ditching hardware altogether and going 3rd party? Or perhaps mobile?

Eolz

Agreed on the title, not on the article.
Doesn't need to be different for the sake of being different, nor does it need to be extremely different (like this latest NX rumor/leak suggest) to work well.

Oppo

I kind of dig this idea of the game system being sort of like a bocce ball set. you take it with you and deploy it for multiple players.

what I can't get my head around is the form factor. it really will be make or break.

There's still a part of me that hopes to see third-party parity on a Nintendo home console again, but I don't disagree that going the different route at this time in a console cycle is the best option. PS4 and Xbox One have slightly different output in terms of general output performance but essentially perform the same exact tasks and feature largely overlapping software libraries with very similar service capabilities.

I'm excited to see what we ultimately get with the NX, even if it isn't quite exactly what I was hoping for. I'd just hope that the other tech besides just the Tegra X1 that's in is well constructed and ergonomically sound -- i.e. full analog sticks, not the little circle pads from the 3DS, multitouch touchscreen (if it even has a touchscreen), full audio output via 3.5mm jack, and hopefully Nintendo actually has contemporary digital licensing and ownership model with a unified account ready at launch.

On the other side of the coin, doing what they've been doing hasn't been working out, either.

How so? The Wii U was really their only objective misstep since the GC. The 3DS is by no means a failure, especially considering how poorly the market treated the Vita (which if anything is proof of exactly what this article is going for).

Oppo

I don't think this has ever been mentioned before, but have they considered ditching hardware altogether and going 3rd party? Or perhaps mobile?

where is that Joan smoking gif that Shumway is always throwing out

How so? The Wii U was really their only objective misstep since the GC. The 3DS is by no means a failure, especially considering how poorly the market treated the Vita (which if anything is proof of exactly what this article is going for).

I'm just saying Nintendo's stuck between a rock and a hard place. They (supposedly) can't compete with Sony and MS directly but at the same time being cheap and different didn't help them at all with the Wii U. Being cheap and different isn't enough.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Am I the only one reading this more as an article ripping on Nintendo as an incompetent, inferior, or incapable company?

phanphare

Banned
They need to differentiate themselves from the competition, yes, but also actually offer an attractive product; being different is not enough

thankfully it seems like we're getting both this go around

seems like we're getting a beast of a handheld and all of Nintendo's software output under one roof. that alone has me satiated and we don't know the full story yet.

seems like this was a controlled leak and that intrigues me because if it was then Nintendo is strategically setting expectations at a certain level probably with the intention of surpassing them when they officially reveal what the NX is.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
consolewar1.png

The Wii was a goldmine for Nintendo. Wii U was a bad decision and launch overall.

The Wii launched in a world without smartphones, or digital distribution, or streaming video, or... At some point pointing to the Wii as proof positive that Nintendo has their shit together is like the guy at the used car dealership talking about how he was a high school quarterback and prom king.

Phoenixus

Yup, and I'm very happy about it. Two powerhouse machines is more than enough, give me something different as a companion to my PS4.

The Wii launched in a world without smartphones, or digital distribution, or streaming video, or... At some point pointing to the Wii as proof positive that Nintendo has their shit together is like the guy at the used car dealership talking about how he was a high school quarterback and prom king.

Savage.

That would be so boring though. There would be nothing that makes them special or unique. The legacy of Nintendo is better than that.

It makes them boring in my eyes but everyone has their own set of expectations from Nintendo. To some it's awesome, to others it's safe or boring. But wish them the best ultimately I'm not the audience they're chasing. I just feel Nintendo lives off nostalgia a it at times when it comes to IP's.

wapplew

Be different is what I want from Nintendo. But I think they can compete head on with Sony or MS if they want.
A strong console with all western/eastern third party and Nintendo first party can easily take big chunk of the market.

What has smartphones to do with a home console?

My point is that Nintendo has the capability to pull it off again. Another PS4/X1 is definitely gonna fail.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Nintendoomed since 1886: The Article.

This is still just a rumour, right? Right.

Technically, but you're in denial if you think there's a chance of it being untrue. Everyone is corroborating it, including WSJ which has a 100% track record as far as I know.

Asd202

Brutal.

I agree. They need to come with something great though.
Would be amazing if they succeed.

Let Sony and Microsoft fight the expensive AAA multiplat console war.

Servbot24

Banned
This is what I'm telling constantly. I hear people asking another PS4 like console from Nintendo but that will fail.

It would fail, and it would be pointless. We already have two of those types of consoles, and that is plenty. We need that 3rd option that is willing to get weird.

However, I actually don't see NX as being different enough from what's being described. It sounds like a standard handheld with an extra output option. I don't really picture it selling more than 3DS, since the dedicated handheld market is not really positioned for growth right now. If you consider NX a home console, then sure selling say, 35-40m, would be a great boost over Wii U, but there are no handheld numbers to add to that. NX is all or nothing, unless there's another SKU we don't know about.

The days of nintendo releasing powerful graphically advanced hardware is over. Their market was filled by Microsoft. They could fight with 2 giants and hope they release the better product for the 16-35 year old male crowd (despite their products being aimed at mass market everyone/younger demographic) or they can differentiate themselves and hope to attract something other than the traditional player.

If you want Nintendo to drop everything and wow you with some PS4+ spec machine, I hope you like disappointment. There is no market for a traditional Nintendo system.

LordRaptor

There was a point where the Wii was the most used device accessing Netflix though.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Well, if being different won't work, and being the same won't work, what's left? Also, Wii didn't predate streaming video lol. Or even digital distribution technically.

maxcriden

NX isn't just bean-counting, though; it speaks to Nintendo's very soul. The company has been trying, and usually failing, to synthesise handheld and TV gaming ever since the Link Cable for GameCube and Game Boy Advance.

Not to mention, the GB-SNES Super Game Boy and the N64's connectivity with GBC with games like Pokémon Stadium and Mario Tennis, via the Transfer Pak.

The best route to graphically shiny Nintendo games delivered in a conventional format is for Nintendo to exit hardware altogether and become a third-party developer, addressing the biggest possible audience. If that is what the world really wants, then NX will fail and that is what it shall have.

Meh @ this. Wii U is already plenty graphically shiny and this is slated to look even better. Not to mention, going third party for Nintendo surely would mean a loss of diversity of games.

FStubbs

I'm just saying Nintendo's stuck between a rock and a hard place. They (supposedly) can't compete with Sony and MS directly but at the same time being cheap and different didn't help them at all with the Wii U. Being cheap and different isn't enough.

That's just it. Wii U was not cheap and wasn't different in a way the market cared about. It had an underutilized tablet controller, in the end making it inferior to Sony and Microsoft options.

BY2K

Membero Americo

But they had the right idea once. Now obviously it won't work. They need to get out an idea that has appeal. (Not exactly sure a handheld that plugs on a TV is that, but we'll see when it's officially revealed.)

KORNdoggy

while i agree they do need to do something different to stand out, i'm not sure it should be at the complete expense of say...third party support. if all we're going to get...YET AGAIN...is a nintendo box, that plays nintendo made games...then as far as i'm concerned it has already failed.

you can offer novelty while still bringing in the people who want to play FIFA, COD and GTA. they're not mutually exclusive things.

all i know is if little billy sees that he can't play the latest and greatest in third party releases on nintendo's new system, regardless of the novelty of being a hybrid system, then he won't want one.

again nintendo will have a console that's only going to be bought by the die hard nintendo fans. but maybe that's all they want.

Earendil

That's an interesting idea. Perhaps you should go to their next investor meeting and ask them if they have thought of it. :p

SO this. Ive been watching Nintendo for decades. Their philosophies and brilliance IS what led to the Wii moment, but it was simply the luck of those philosophies crossig the stream of the market need at exactly the right time that made the system so successful. It is abundantly clear there was no master plan since, given the Wii U its clear they had no real idea why they succeeded in the first place.

Wii was revolutionary and it changed the world (kind of like Pokemon Ingress is doing), and they deserve credit for that. But they continue to miss some forests through the trees so I really like your metaphor.

Taij

Literally addressed in this OP

The best route to graphically shiny Nintendo games delivered in a conventional format is for Nintendo to exit hardware altogether and become a third-party developer, addressing the biggest possible audience. If that is what the world really wants, then NX will fail and that is what it shall have.

Or is this a case where a /sarcasm tag is needed?

The industry doesn't have space for 3 platform holders in my opinion (4 if you count PC, since mobile doesn't really share their library).
If you see the mobile space, Android and ios share the market very well, but any other market like Windows phone is dead.

One of the 3 will bailout of the home console market, I wished it was Microsoft but alas.

Dryk

Am I the only one reading this more as an article ripping on Nintendo as an incompetent, inferior, or incapable company?
They're a lot smaller and have their hands in far fewer pies. They have less tools at their disposal and much more to lose in a direct fight.

Juice

Good article on the whole.

If Nintendo can execute and has a dozen decent games a year for the thing plus good indie suppport, I think this could be viable.

The real question in my mind is whether it'll be small enough to play on a bus or a train inconspicuously. If not, then it may sit awkwardly where the tablet market does: either too big to be mobile or too small/weak to be the centerpiece at home.

But as somebody who travels a lot on business this seems pretty cool

MuchoMalo

Banned
while i agree they do need to do something different to stand out, i'm not sure it should be at the complete expense of say...third party support. if all we're going to get...YET AGAIN...is a nintendo box, that plays nintendo made games...then as far as i'm concerned it has already failed.

you can offer novelty while still bringing in the people who want to play FIFA, COD and GTA. they're not mutually exclusive things.

all i know is if little billy sees that he can't play the latest and greatest in third party releases on nintendo's new system, regardless of the novelty of being a hybrid system, then he won't want one.

again nintendo will have a console that's only going to be bought by the die hard nintendo fans. but maybe that's all they want.

Simply making a powerhouse console won't bring those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom