• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danlord

I really want him to sync his trophies so I can look at them and discover what NMS's trophies are. I really hope they're full of sci-fi references.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I saw for like 5 seconds when he was on the button prompts, I went fullscreen hoping to get a print-screen to show full button layout and then he got banned

:/

Could you make out if he changed anything. I heard the menu sound but didn't see anything change.

Danlord

The1Ski

Why do I feel like this game isn't going to be as deep as everyone seems to think it is? Am I the only one?

What video/articles are feeding the hype? I've read and watched so many but I feel like a lot of people are inflating a lot of mechanics to what they hope they'll be able to do.

Why do I feel like this game isn't going to be as deep as everyone seems to think it is? Am I the only one?

What video/articles are feeding the hype? I've read and watched so many but I feel like a lot of people are inflating a lot of mechanics to what they hope they'll be able to do.

Given the number of things we don't know, I'm virtually positive it'll be deeper than we think.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Yes, yes, we know. Can we stop it now, please? We know exactly what to expect so it's not necessary to 'educate' us.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I couldn't tell, he was moving the cursor around which moved the central focus around so the controller overlay and buttons section actually moved off-screen a bit and then the stream went down.

edit: the guy spent $2000 getting that copy!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Mans-Sky...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was too busy trying not to focus on specific things to take it in. I was just waiting for him to exit out and start moving but: GONE! That music though ...

And why can't you adjust the quality any more on Twitch? Source always crashes my laptop after about 5 mins and I have to reboot.

Danlord

I was too busy trying not to focus on specific things to take it in. I was just waiting for him to exit out and start moving but: GONE! That music though ...

And why can't you adjust the quality any more on Twitch? Source always crashes my laptop after about 5 mins and I have to reboot.

It recently moved to HTML5, maybe something to do with that?
edit: Just checked it now, same issue for me. Hmm.. Don't know.

Bsigg12

Fedele

That seems like someone just inflating the bid with no intention on paying. No one is stupid enough to pay $2k for this.

Let me quote Frederick Perls here: "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe."

Particularly relevant for this thread, actually.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Inflating how?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Such as? What don't you think will be deep? What's the metric for a deep enough mechanic?

Is mining various resources to upgrade your ship, multi tool, and exosuit a deep enough mechanic?

Is cataloging various species and star systems, then uploading them to the database for units you can spend on newer ships, multi tools, and armor deep enough? Related; how you upgrade your ship, suit and mutltitool directly affects how you're able to handle potential situations like pirate attacks, animal attacks, and hazardous environmental conditions.

Is finding monoliths that help you learn the languages of the various sentient species, so you can communicate and earn their favor (or ire) deep enough?

I'm not even trying to be confrontational, but the above are mechanics that are confirmed to be in the game. None of us know how well these systems are implemented in the game, but for many, the simple existence of these systems is enough for people that enjoy that type of thing to get excited about.

Personally, I'm not excited for No Man's Sky because of some trumped up expectations. I've said it in a dozen No Man's Sky threads, but I'm excited for the game because I'm excited by the idea of exploring limitless planets. I'm excited by being able to hop into my starship and go from planet surface, to upper atmosphere, to outer space, get into dogfights with pirates, mine some asteroids for fuel, then hop to the next system where an unknown planet awaits, plot a course for that planet, land on it, discover new life or rare resources, maybe find a monolith to learn a word or two of an alien language, perhaps stumble across a portal that will instantly transport me to another planet, or maybe find a cave decked out with crazy geographical features or life. Stumble across a vast ocean with unknown things under the surface, all the while trying to survive potentially deadly environmental hazards like extreme heat, cold, acid or storms. What I'm saying is, this game doesn't need buzzwords from a PR team, or puffed up promises like a Peter Molyneux game to get me excited. It doesn't need complex RPG systems (although it has a few rpg elements anyway), or dialogue trees (it does have a version of that in a way; mainly selecting how you respond to an NPC) to get me excited. It doesn't need epic and scripted set pieces to get my blood flowing. Exploring the unknown in an aesthetically pleasing package is enough for me.

You don't have to share my excitement. You don't have to love the game. But I admit that people questioning why others dare to be excited for something that excites them is starting to grate.

Not every game is going to be for everybody, and if three years and a ton of videos haven't sold you the game, I doubt anything will. It's probably not your cup of tea, and that's ok.

Picollus

Neo Member
I was doing some NMS math.

- There is 1.8E19 planets in NMS.
- Suppose that 100 millions (1E8) units are sold and played (exaggerated for demonstration purpose)
- Suppose that each player find and NAME 1000 planets (exaggerated for demonstration purpose) in a playthrough
- This mean : 1E8 * 1E3 = 1E11 planet found. This is = 1E11/1.8E19 = 0.55E-5 Percent of the universe.

This so negligible. The developper said that it is improbable to ever meet someone in the game. At a negligible scale, it means it is also improbable to ever visit a already named planet/species. It make no sense to even develop multiplayer/Sync aspect to that game.

My hypothesis is :

1) The REAL GAME universe scale is a lot smaller, say 100% chance of meeting a SINGLE person in a single playthrough and increasing at the center FOR FUN PURPOSE.

2) The 1.8E19 planets only mean that the algorithm can generate 1.8E19 different planets depending of the seed but these planet at located in a 1E6 planet universe for example.

Any thought ?

Question : It is stated if there is a story in this game. Does anyone know if the is a purpose for investing time in that game. I just don't want to farm/grind if there is no meaningfull end to the quest !

Muzicfreq

Banned

- Suppose that 100 millions (1E8) units are sold and played (exaggerated for demonstration purpose)
- Suppose that each player find and NAME 1000 planets (exaggerated for demonstration purpose) in a playthrough
- This mean : 1E8 * 1E3 = 1E11 planet found. This is = 1E11/1.8E19 = 0.55E-5 Percent of the universe.

This so negligible. The developper said that it is improbable to ever meet someone in the game. At a negligible scale, it means it is also improbable to ever visit a already named planet/species. It make no sense to even develop multiplayer/Sync aspect to that game.

My hypothesis is :

1) The REAL GAME universe scale is a lot smaller, say 100% chance of meeting a SINGLE person in a single playthrough and increasing at the center FOR FUN PURPOSE.

2) The 1.8E19 planets only mean that the algorithm can generate 1.8E19 different planets depending of the seed but these planet at located in a 1E6 planet universe for example.

Any thought ?

Question : It is stated if there is a story in this game. Does anyone know if the is a purpose for investing time in that game. I just don't want to farm/grind if there is no meaningfull end to the quest !

I'm lost.... What's 1.8E19?

Clauss

I just realized I'm going to be on vacation when this drops... Hopefully there are still some planets for me discover when I get back to my PC, 3 days after launch.

Unicorn

Yes they do. Im like 99.9% sure of this Seen it in a couble o videos. Does not bother me tho. The wait is killing me.
July 2015
https://youtu.be/CLcjvIQJns0?t=2m21s

e3 2014 watch the grass on the edge of the bank- like the ghosts in the mirrors in the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland:
https://youtu.be/vs1cCg47rJc?t=1m14s

I thought the newest trailers had fixed it, but I can't really tell since the clips are so quick.

Unicorn

Oh

That's probably because the grass is simply 2D always facing the player. It sucks, but it's probably a concession they have to make for the 60 fps and draw distance.

Yeah, i'm cool with it being 2D, but why rotate? Just lock that shit down. I think someone mentioned yesterday that it's literally a toggle when using SpeedTree (the tech used for foliage) in Unity to not have sprites follow camera rotation.

This has been a thing of SpeedTree that has bothered me for a decade now. The leaves in Elder Scrolls Oblivion suffered the same. Stand under a tree, look up and spin, and watch entire branches of leaves spin with you. A minor gripe, but after a decade I would think it would no longer be an issue for SpeedTree.

July 2015
https://youtu.be/CLcjvIQJns0?t=2m21s

e3 2014 watch the grass on the edge of the bank- like the ghosts in the mirrors in the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland:
https://youtu.be/vs1cCg47rJc?t=1m14s

I thought the newest trailers had fixed it, but I can't really tell since the clips are so quick.

I'm willing to bet there will be mods that will fix this if it's really like that in the final game. But man, once you notice that it's really hard to unsee it. Thanks for pointing it out lol. I don't like.

EDIT: I meant on the PC version of course. I uh, would not want to live with that at all... Really looking forward to all of the Graphical/QOL mods that should be coming. My 1080 is ready!

Danlord

Yeah, i'm cool with it being 2D, but why rotate? Just lock that shit down. I think someone mentioned yesterday that it's literally a toggle when using SpeedTree (the tech used for foliage) in Unity to not have sprites follow camera rotation.

This has been a thing of SpeedTree that has bothered me for a decade now. The leaves in Elder Scrolls Oblivion suffered the same. Stand under a tree, look up and spin, and watch entire branches of leaves spin with you. A minor gripe, but after a decade I would think it would no longer be an issue for SpeedTree.

It's called Billboarding and it's when you have a 2D object that rotates along with the camera, else you see the edges and parts of the grass will dissappear at certain angles. I noticed in the "I've seen things" trailer but I knew what to look out for and it was less apparent and very subtle and I wouldn't consider it too much of a distraction personally, but it's certainly a nitpick.
It's much less noticeable in dense areas of foliage.

Unicorn

I'm honestly shocked cool_dude hasn't used it as a platform this whole time. He's always mentioning the rain, but could have been canceling preorders more effectively for years!

/s

I just need confirmation on whether the grass spins based on the camera or nottttttttttttt

Don't hold your breath, the grass will most likely be made of constantly player facing billboards. If you look at the Explore trailer, this shot:
eUlFmg1.jpg
You can see that all of the individual grass bits are facing directly towards the player. Still, these trailers might be made from older footage, but I wouldn't count on it. There's also a lot of muddy ground textures, low poly objects (especially some of the smaller flora), the pop-in etc, and I'm certainly a lot of people will criticize the game for that.

Basically, the scope and the procedural generation principle of this game forces the devs to scale down on the visual fidelity. It's kinda like the state of VR today, this kind of project requires sacrifices to even pull off at all. Even if a 300 person team made this game, it would still have to look "last gen" or so, because you just can't force a "slow" CPU (as in all of today's CPUs) to generate all of this on the fly, with high distance, polygon count, alongside all of the other "game" stuff you have to calculate in realtime.

You could say they made it "too soon", but that would've probably been the case if it were made for next gen systems, the game would still look worse than those future games, it's just that certain things would look a bit better than they do now.

My hypothesis is :

Any thought ?

The scale of the universe isn't everything. You have to take into account that this is a game where you fly a spaceship capable of exponentially larger hyperjumps, where you have a galactic map with possibly some markers and helpers for orientation, where you might occasionally see blinking stars in the galactic map, indicating that someone there made a discovery, not to mention online communities making a populated galactic map and marking where everyone started, organizing to meet at a certain position etc.

In any case, something like a very rudimentary sync between an extremely small number of players (let's say, max 5) that happen (or organize themselves) to be in the same star system might still need some work, but not as much as making one another killable and interactive (especially while on foot), so they've made the effort to do at least that. Keep in mind that there might be a bit of a broader purpose to that once we get to the center of the galaxy, as in we might still not be able to interact with other players and see only very small groups, but maybe we'll get to unlock and see all of the others' discoveries, travel there (with a new teleport technology etc.). This is all speculation, but I'm saying that having a very rudimentary synced lobby system might have some nice little payoffs, at least enough for the devs to think it's interesting at least.

Anyway, there's a working theory that we're starting inside a single galaxy, get to its center and then we unlock other galaxies. So the game's starting size is probably somewhere in the ballpark of 1E9 planets, or actually something like a few hundred billion planets, which is still massive, but taking the hyperjump, map and navigation helpers into account, you might kinda expect for people to purposefully meet at some point, but would most probably never run into one another by chance.

As for the story, I think we can expect a setting, and an expanded lore by doing certain actions and reading bits of info along the way, something along the lines of:
"There is turmoil and danger in the galaxy, the battle for resources has driven all sentient life into a perpetual struggle for domination while a malevolent force holds an iron grip on all living things. The center of the galaxy holds the key to the secrets of the universe, but many have taken the journey, and none have made it. What will you do, how will you shape your destiny? Will you seek riches, live the life of a criminal, or will you explore the unknown reaches of space and discover if there's something more? Whichever path you choose, it will be filled with danger and unseen wonders. Good luck, blah blah..."

I'm completely making this up, and the theme and direction of the story might be something completely different, but I'm just trying to convey the little bit of story info we might get to get us started. And then, you're thrown into a harsh and unforgiving universe, and you try to do anything in your power to survive, become stronger etc. Bit by bit, you'll run into new alien races, talk to NPCs, learn their language and their history, where they came from, what are their ideologies and plans, discover artifacts that maybe reveal a bit more about the nature of the galaxy, its history, who built those artifacts, who built the Sentinels, what's hiding at the center of the universe/galaxy and so on. So I'm expecting there to be little bits of lore that will enrich the experience and give some players a bit more incentive to go on playing. Reaching the center of the universe/galaxy is supposed to give you a satisfying payoff, and should also give you incentive to keep playing if you want to, but that's about it.

You can see that all of the individual grass bits are facing directly towards the player. Still, these trailers might be made from older footage, but I wouldn't count on it. There's also a lot of muddy ground textures, low poly objects (especially some of the smaller flora), the pop-in etc, and I'm certainly a lot of people will criticize the game for that.

Doesn't the fact that the ground is destructible in the form of voxels play into that? The most recent other example is 7 Days to Die with voxel based destructible terrain.

Doesn't the fact that the ground is destructible in the form of voxels play into that? The most recent other example is 7 Days to Die with voxel based destructible terrain.

I mean, sure, to an extent, but you could certainly have higher resolution terrain textures in such a destructible system. I'd say it's more about the procedural generation system, how it uses and "tiles up" various textures on top of surfaces, and if there's a more complex texture generation going on in there, while all of that fills up the memory and requires to be generated very fast in realtime, so higher resolution textures might take a significantly longer time to load/generate and the game might look even worse with constant texture loading, kinda like the state Rage was on release on PC.

There's a lot of dynamic texture wrapping going on in there, in the sense that the procedural system generates all sorts of steep slopes, varying terrain, so some surfaces might look like shit because the texture is so stretched, you just can't have total control on the geometry. Add that to all of the limitations I mentioned before as well as the terrain deformation you mentioned, and they just had to make compromises.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So the guy I know from Operation Sports that I posted in here earlier this afternoon, he is the one that got $1250 for the game on eBay. He only paid $150 for it.

The deal was too good not to sell it. EBay even called both paties over the phone to verify transaction, and it has been Fed Ex overnighted to the purchaser.

He said he is both happy (for the money) and sad (cause he is craving more).

Here is some quick impressions from him...

CAMPBLACKMAMBA24 said:
My quick impressions

1. Don't expect mind-blowing graphics out the box

2. Don't expect to take off flying when the game starts. Must put in work

3. Game was extremely smooth. No frame rate issues at all

4. Expect to possibly not fire up another game for a while. I could tell in my short time that this game is gonna destroy some relationships and happy homes.

Again I apologize for bringing the hype this evening. I should of just kept it to myself but no way in hell did I expect this kind of offer.

I will leave you all with this picture. Be strong fellas it's just 10 more days
52ba20790965a2a1489abdb362179c24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom