• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game division posts 44 billion yen operating profit

*3.5 million PS4 sold in Q1 2016. This is compared to 3.0M in Q1 2015.
*Game division posted 44 billion yen operating profit.
*Company as whole posted 21 billion yen net proft.
* Sony is selling battery business https://next.ft.com/content/b1b00940-54b3-11e6-befd-2fc0c26b3c60

QC3jPYu.png

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q1_sonypre.pdf
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q1_sony.pdf

PS4 hardware cost has reduced so price drop this holiday is likely along with launch of Neo.

I wonder how much more it will sell at $250. It is already a beast.

JJD

Sony’s PlayStation division accounted for 78% of its Q1 2016 profits

6jZmVW0.gif

Imagine how much pressure the gaming side of the company is under if they are responsible for more than half of the Q1 profits.

Stakes are higher than ever for Playstation.

NolbertoS

For the Playstation Brand, right on Sony, but for the whole company of Sony, If I were an investor, I'd be like "WTF, how about the rest of the divisions"?? I don't know how long Sony wants to put everything on that Golden Basket of Eggs named Playstation. The party bus will eventually stop.

Can't Sony see the power of video game platforms? They should give up their multimedia entertainment business and go full video game party.

The only way that's possible is with a price drop and Neo priced no more than 399.

Not that I don't think a price drop is coming but...

FY2015 they shipped 17.7 million. They are predicting 20 million for FY2016.

First quarter, they are up by 0.5 million. It doesn't really seem to me that they need both the things you listed to hit the target. Either or should work.

Ploid 3.0

After the Nintendo thing, Sony is going to be sitting pretty in the console space for a long time. :\

Microsoft is after PC market now with a option for console only fans of the xbox exclusive games.

Can't Sony see the power of video game platforms? They should give up their multimedia entertainment business and go full video game party.

Putting all their eggs in one basket for it all to come tumbling down one day? Sounds goo- bad!

casiopao

For the Playstation Brand, right on Sony, but for the whole company of Sony, If I were an investor, I'd be like "WTF, how about the rest of the divisions"?? I don't know how long Sony wants to put everything on that Golden Basket of Eggs named Playstation. The party bus will eventually stop.

Indeed. I still believe Sony should just move into gaming and insurance company here. Their mobile phone and TV business is more or less money pit now. Why waste money chasing bad market here.T_T

Shin-chan

A lot of people in the Microsoft FY report thread predicting Sony to be down YoY as well due to NPD results, but that seems like quite a big leap. What was the FY 2015-2014 comparison?

Bastables

As a theoretical investor in apple would you have also started mewling that "Iphone too stronk!!!" when it began dominating?

Please Jobs refocus on Mac and ipod!!!!!!

dracula_x

So PlayStation is what keeps the company afloat now huh?
No. PlayStation is not the only thing what keeps Sony afloat.

FY2015 – http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q4_sonypre.pdf
FY2016 Q1 – http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q1_sony.pdf

Consolidated Financial Results
for the First Quarter Ended June 30, 2016

Financial Services
Operating income – 48.5 billion yen (471 million U.S. dollars)

Game & Network Services (G&NS)
Operating income – 44.0 billion yen (427 million U.S. dollars)

Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S)
Operating income – 20.2 billion yen (197 million U.S. dollars)

Music
Operating income – 15.9 billion yen (155 million U.S. dollars)

Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S)
Operating income – 7.5 billion yen (73 million U.S. dollars)

Mobile Communications (MC)
Operating income – 0.4 billion yen (4 million U.S. dollars)

Components
Operating loss – (4.7)

Pictures
Operating loss – (10.6)

Semiconductors
Operating income (loss) – (43.5)

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just randomly popped in my head. If someone wanted to buy Sony (company), how much would it cost? Equal to market cap or something else?

Worth noting that the big decrease of Sony Corp as a whole (21 billion yen net proft instead of 84 billion yen) is largely due to the Kumamoto disaster. Sony took big big charges from this, essentially in the semiconductor business, which is expected to lost 64 billion yen for the year.

Despite this, Sony Corporation still forecast a 80 billion yen profit for the fiscal year.

Also, just a friendly little reality check after the whole "Nintendo is now more valuable than Sony" :p

Sony sales Q1 (game division only) --> 330 billion yen
Nintendo sales Q1 (entire company) --> 62 billion yen

Go_Ly_Dow

I like to think the viral kazification stuff is one of the key factors that made the PS4 such a success and thus turned Sony around.

NeoGAF did this.

Also, just a friendly little reality check after the whole "Nintendo is now more valuable than Sony" :p

Sony sales Q1 (game division only) --> 330 billion yen
Nintendo sales Q1 (entire company) --> 62 billion yen

In all fairness, the reality check came when investors were found to have invested because they didn't bother really looking into it before Nintendo flat out had to tell them about how Pokemon Go profits worked and the stock dropped down again.

However we ALWAYS expected them to have a rough Quarter because of how everything's mostly stalled, all things considered.

A lot of people in the Microsoft FY report thread predicting Sony to be down YoY as well due to NPD results, but that seems like quite a big leap. What was the FY 2015-2014 comparison?

PS4 must still be selling well in Europe and other regions of the world.

Sjefen

Sony is doomed because almost all their profits comes from Playstation?? Profits makes a company in a stronger position to invest in other areas of their business. As a whole having a positive profit margin is very healthy for a company. Kaz and Sony have done a really good job turning things around for.

Bishop89

Imagine how much pressure the gaming side of the company is under if they are responsible for more than half of the Q1 profits.

Stakes are higher than ever for Playstation.

Sony pictures really needs to lift up their game :/

Top Bottom