• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game division posts 44 billion yen operating profit

Bastables

Either you are very young or you don't remember 10-15 years ago. Sony were bigger. Much bigger than Samsung way back when.

The Top Three Things Samsung Did To Surpass Sony

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenad...ngs-samsung-did-to-surpass-sony/#669148f94426

Yes but last financial year Sony posted profits of over $1bn. I thought they were going to kick on from there but it seems they are going backwards again.

You seem be young enough not to realise the scale of a company that makes consumer electronics and a company that (also) fabricates ships with its own shipyards are worlds apart in scale.

dracula_x

from FY2015 Consolidated Results

EBwv6FW.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes but last financial year Sony posted profits of over $1bn. I thought they were going to kick on from there but it seems they are going backwards again.

And why do you think there was such a big drop from then and now? just because their profitsdropped off a cliff? no, it was because of that disaster which they could not control.

Concern trolling is too serious right now

One thing that could be highlighted is the 44 billion yen operating income for the video game segment. It's actually bigger than the 40 billion yen they made during the octobrer - december 2015 quarter, when Sony shipped 8.4 million PS4.

I find this quite crazy. Of course, having two big hits in the first party space must help (Uncharted & Ratchet) but still, april - june was a very quiet quarter as a whole. And yet PlayStation breaks its operating income record right there.

If the NEO is out this year during Q4, I can't even imagine the kind of results they could achieve this holidays.

Averon

Where Sony is now compare to where they were 4-5 years ago is like night and day. Other than Apple, what other companies made such a massive turn around?

Good results for PS and Sony .
Things would have been much better but there is nothing you can do about a earthquake .
Last few years Kaz has really made things better for them .

You seem be young enough not to realise the scale of a company that makes consumer electronics and a company that (also) fabricates ships with its own shipyards are worlds apart in scale.

Omg dude. You basically came out with a questionable statement and now are trying to defend it. Sony WERE bigger than Samsung. Just read it and stop arguing as you are digging yourself a bigger hole:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/773d4bee-7d8f-11da-875c-0000779e2340.html#axzz4FmhHdyLJ

Samsung steps up with $102bn market cap

Samsung is now second only to Vodafone among non-US technology stocks measured by market capitalisation, after overtaking Nokia, Motorola and Sony in size. Sony, Samsung's arch rival whose market capitalisation reached $107bn in 2000, is now valued at less than half that of Samsung.

This was written in 2006.

15 years ago Sony was bigger than Samsung for certain. Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it wasn't true. Lol.

Omg dude. You basically came out with a questionable statement and now are trying to defend it. Sony WERE bigger than Samsung. Just read it and stop arguing as you are digging yourself a bigger hole:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/773d4bee-7d8f-11da-875c-0000779e2340.html#axzz4FmhHdyLJ

15 years ago Sony was bigger than Samsung for certain. Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it wasn't true. Lol.

He did say that Sony were bigger in markets share value years ago .
Still i think he is talking about the company size and what they make .

KORNdoggy

Yo Sony doing well is good

Would never have expected this turnaround in 2013

they were already on the up at that time with their PS+ offerings and generally way better exclusive output. PS3 was a much better system at the end of it's cycle that it was at the start. now, would i have expected this in 2009? Hell no. i thought MS was going to dominate from that point on. 360 was simply the better system back then.

Great results for Sony especially Playstation.
Im surprised that they are up in 400K PS4 sales compared to Q1 2015.

This years inevitable vanilla PS4 price drop once Neo drops should provide a very welcome boost especially in overseas markets.

Sony’s PlayStation division accounted for 78% of its Q1 2016 profits

6jZmVW0.gif

Holy shit!

Bastables

Dude you're citing market cap (literally what people/market/ think feel a share is worth=subjective valuation), that's not the same thing as being in a class of corporation that has/had large interests in Heavy industry/defence/shipbuilding

Your argument is as inane as comparing GE with Apple.

QaaQer

wont last. They have no mobile games, no pachinko, no gatcha, no card packs, and no hats. It's like they don't have any addiction psychologists or in-game economists on staff.

I am listening to the Q&A and Sony expect first party software to be profitable. They have not specified which games.

Ahh that's also interesting and good to note.
Wish they could be specific but nice to know first party investments are paying off.

Means more great games far as I'm concerned.

Yjynx

Dude you're citing market cap (literally what people/market/ think feel a share is worth=subjective valuation), that's not the same thing as being in a class of cooperation that has/had large interests in Heavy industry/defence/shipbuilding

You're argument is as inane as comparing GE with Apple.

I'm really curious do some people really do that? I mean comparing GE and Apple?

QaaQer

One of the interesting things about Sony v Samsung is that in the late 90s early 2000s, Sony had a big push to promote young people to spur innovation. The top tier of old talent took the packages and went to work for Samsung, giving Sammy's CE business a huge boost.

gtj1092

Great results did not expect that big of an increase. But I guess the delay of UC4 allowed them to ship more consoles this quarter.

I would expect shipments to be slightly down or flat in Q2 as they clear shelf space for neo and a revised ps4 in Q3.

So much worry for PS and Sony. Glad to know gamers care ;).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That's a very good Q1 profit for games. More than doubled with a proportionately modest sales increase. And that's before two new pieces of supposedly day-one-profitable hardware hit later in the year.

vivftp

Since the topic of Sony, Samsung and their history has come up, I figured I might ask something I'd heard about. I'd heard back in the day Sony and Samsung shared a manufacturing facility for LCD TV panels. Sony had the superior tech and through this facility Samsung were able to steal/borrow info from Sony to improve their tech.

Anyone know if that was true?

What Sony IP have mass appeal outside gamer?

I think a Ratchet, Jak or Sly could have done very well if it have good writers, a good budget, Big name voices, good animation studio behind it. Also theirs no need to market these to just gamers, just target families and kids.

I think Uncharted could have done well as a fun adventure movie again with the right cast/director/budget and both GOW and Heavenly Sword had potential as big budget action movies with the right director/budget etc.

The amount of trash Sony Pictures releases and wastes money on, it probably wouldn’t have hurt to try any of the above.

Javin98

Banned
I must have missed the Microsoft quarterly report thread. Do we really have confirmation that the XB1 was down compared to the same timeframe as last year? I wouldn't be surprised since the XB1 has been done notably YoY in the US, but did Microsoft release shipment numbers or is it guesswork?

QaaQer

I must have missed the Microsoft quarterly report thread. Do we really have confirmation that the XB1 was down compared to the same timeframe aa last year? I wouldn't be surprised since the XB1 has been done notably YoY in the US, but did Microsoft release shipment numbers or is it guesswork?

Revenue based guesswork.

Bastables

Since the topic of Sony, Samsung and their history has come up, I figured I might ask something I'd heard about. I'd heard back in the day Sony and Samsung shared a manufacturing facility for LCD TV panels. Sony had the superior tech and through this facility Samsung were able to steal/borrow info from Sony to improve their tech.

Anyone know if that was true?

S-LCD

Sony did not have the capital to have a factory/s for LCD production so they went in with Samsung and had the fabrication facilities in Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-LCD

Things went a bit south and Japan Display was created with Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony and large investment (subsidy) from the Japanese government/INCJ. (some could argue with the Government investment that there was lobbying to "re-nationalise" production of LCD in spite of poor margins).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Display

INCJ is pretty much a Japanese government subsidy arm for Japanese firms. It's creation was due to a Japanese law being signed to spend medium and small firms out of difficulties in 2009.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INCJ

It's nice to see positive profit rather than billion loss in headlines for once. Glad, for the most part, this generation is ramping smoothly.

vivftp

S-LCD

Sony did not have the capital to have a factory/s for LCD production so they went in with Samsung and had the fabrication facilities in Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-LCD

Things went a bit south and Japan Display was created with Sharp, Toshiba, Sony and large investment (subsidy) from the Japanese government. (some could argue with the Government investment that there was lobbying to "re-nationalise" production of LCD in spite of poor margins).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Display

I thought Japan Display was only a spinoff of the small/medium display branches from Sony, and had nothing to do with their television department.

Loudninja

To put things in prospective

Sony Posts Surprise Profit as Games Outweigh Sagging Sensors
Sony Corp. posted a surprise quarterly profit as strength in its PlayStation division outweighed a slowdown in sales of image sensors.

The company reported net income of 21.2 billion yen ($205 million) in the quarter through June, compared with the average analysts’ expectation for a 39 billion-yen loss. The firm maintained its forecast for annual profit of 80 billion yen.

The strength in games is helping investors look past impact from the Kumamoto earthquakes, which shut the primary manufacturing site for image sensors that power digital cameras. Their focus is shifting to how the company manages a global slowdown in smartphone sales that is hitting component sales, and whether it can sustain user growth at its games division before launching a virtual reality platform and upgraded PlayStation consoles.

“Nothing short of fantastic, especially given that the market has been expecting a loss,” Amir Anvarzadeh, Singapore-based head of Japanese equity sales at BGC Partners Inc., said in an e-mail. “The big takeaway was the games business. Profit there more than doubled and that’s even before PlayStation VR launch in October, which will be a huge shot in the arm for hardware sales.”

Estimates for operating losses from the earthquakes were lowered to 80 billion yen for this fiscal year, from 115 billion yen.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urprise-profit-as-games-outweigh-sagging-sens

Bastables

I thought Japan Display was only a spinoff of the small/medium display branches from Sony, and had nothing to do with their television department.

It literally folded the manufacturing LCD arms of three companies into one entity meaning the three "TV" firms essentially buy panels from a "separate firm" and not incur the full costs of setup/running/manufacturing costs themselves. It's a way to write off or hide the capital out lay on another firms books. Books that are also heavily advantaged by being subsidised (and guaranteed) by the government/taxpayer.

So it's not "Bravia" being spun off, it's all the panel manufacturing and costs that the various TV divisions that would have had to carry before JD was setup. Similar to how AMD divested itself of it's own CPU foundries.

SOR5

Very good, hope they can spread this to their other divisions. Xperia needs that Motorola redemption. (Until moto went to lenovo)

Top Bottom