• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyfi

Banned
C'mon Nintendo, gives us something already.
I didn't start feeling antsy for an official response until today... But it's only been three days since the leak, lmao. There's no need for Nintendo to rush their PR plan.

Beyond Good and Evil 2
Oh yeah, that'd be rad. Not nearly as big as RE4, but if the game was impressive enough it could build hype regardless.

Kjellson

Could anyone explain the dock thing a bit to me? Maybe I'm dumb but I don't get it. So you have the controller which is also the handheld, and you have the console. What does the dock do?

psyfi

Banned
Could anyone explain the dock thing a bit to me? Maybe I'm dumb but I don't get it. So you have the controller which is also the handheld, and you have the console. What does the dock do?
No one knows for sure. Either the dock acts as just a convenient place to charge your NX and connect it to your TV, or it *might* also give it a performance boost. Some think the NX might have better performance when connected to the dock simply by virtue of not having to rely on battery power. Some think there might some extra GPUs or CPUs or something (I am clueless when it comes to tech terms, lol).

Personally, I'm hoping for some extra horse power in the dock. It'd really help sell me on the idea of the NX being a hybrid, and I think it'd help Nintendo sell the idea to the public. Not to mention appease the naysayers that want this to have current gen console power.

Edit : I want HD Metroid Prime so bad. And a 2D Metroid with art as brilliant and crisp as Rayman Legends.

Kjellson

No one knows for sure. Either the dock acts as just a convenient place to charge your NX and connect it to your TV, or it *might* also give it a performance boost. Some think the NX might have better performance when connected to the dock simply by virtue of not having to rely on battery power. Some think there might some extra GPUs or CPUs or something (I am clueless when it comes to tech terms, lol).

Personally, I'm hoping for some extra horse power in the dock. It'd really help sell me on the idea of the NX being a hybrid, and I think it'd help Nintendo sell the idea to the public. Not to mention appease the naysayers that want this to have current gen console power.

Edit : I want HD Metroid Prime so bad. And a 2D Metroid with art as brilliant and crisp as Rayman Legends.
Oh okay, thanks. Sounds kinda complicated but I guess things will clear out when they reveal it.

Also, a question about detachable controllers. I have seen some fan mockups showing that the two parts makes two controllers similar to a Wiimote held sideways, but I assumed it would be so you can have your hands freely while playing a game. Do we know anything about this or is that also just speculation?

psyfi

Banned
Oh okay, thanks. Sounds kinda complicated but I guess things will clear out when they reveal it.

Also, a question about detachable controllers. I have seen some fan mockups showing that the two parts makes two controllers similar to a Wiimote held sideways, but I assumed it would be so you can have your hands freely while playing a game. Do we know anything about this or is that also just speculation?
Just speculation.

I'd love an F Zero NX.

A HD update of F Zero GX but with the AX tracks and online multiplayer included.
Hell yes. I'd love a GX remake with online multi, leaderboards, and in-game tournament systems.

ozfunghi

Nah, not big enough.

Only folks asking for BG&E2 are the people who actually bought the original and that's not a lot of people really. Which is a shame, because I liked the game back in the day.

It was a very good game, but not exceptional really. It got a lot of praise from the Windwaker haters, who needed to hype BG&E in order to put WW down. At least that's how i experienced it back then.

I'd very much like a sequel, but i'm afraid it won't live up to the hype. The fact that the first one was somewhat overhyped imo (albeit in a niche) won't do its successor any good.

Mr Swine

Banned
Man even if NX is twice as powerful as a Wii U or last ten system, I would gladly buy Dead Rising Remaster on it. I can almost see Capcom porting it over to NX

Still not convinced by the multiplayer portable aspect of this.
The screen needs to be very big if that's meant to be a big draw, not many will want to do multiplayer, especially split screen, huddled up in front of a 6 inch screen.
Don't know if you have stumble upon some of my posts in this thread. This is puzzling to me also.

Quite a lot of posters are making a big deal out of local multi on the go with the 2 detachable parts used as NES controllers. A cute idea in nostalgic terms, but i wonder if they stop to think about the practical implications and the actual market value of such feature?

Gaming in such a way on a 6-7 inch display has visual limitations and other ones in terms of what genres are playable with these 2 controller halves, considering what we' ve been seen as mock ups.

A way you could achieve local multiplayer in this sense would be if Nintendo included a pico proyector in the NX, at least you would have the option to project the image in a bigger area without afecting portability of the device further and costs of bigger screen. However, this is unlikely due to costs, even tought the proyectors have dropped in price significantly in recent years. For reference:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TAXDPK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In the end, i think the take away important feature of the detachable controllers is allowing Wii like functionality and precision pointing when the touch screen is not available. This also allows Wii type local multiplayer experiences out of the box.

So i'm using that thread for general discussion about the console design.

And i've got a question.

Let's say you have a game that use the touch screen (i guess there will be a touch screen right). When in TV mode, how do you pay it ?
Sadly i see im in a ton of ignore lists XD

That question was answered in this post.

psyfi

Banned
Ohh any links to the info?

I m just worried that the nes classic might make Nintendo around guess VC.
I'm just referring to the MyNintendo stuff. One unified account with the ability to redownload purchased games on any replacement NX systems you buy (and future Nintendo hardware) will be a vast improvement. But all that depends on Nintendo actually putting out VC games at a respectable pace.

xandaca

The ideal for me would be about a 6-6.5 inch 540p screen with slimmer, wireless versions of the Wiimote and nunchuck (with revised button layout and an analogue stick each) attached to its sides. Accelerometers or gyroscopes would provide the motion controls when using the NX as a handheld, then IR would do it when the screen is in the dock and the remote/nunchuck used as controllers for gaming on the TV. I'd love the Wii remote to get its 'evolution' console (as how the NES and N64 were 'revolution' consoles, then SNES and Gamecube evolved the technology) and imagine Nintendo won't want the seeming complication of having to 'assemble' the controller, outside of detaching from the portable screen, to play on the TV. Therefore, a two-handed controller seems plausible, and Nintendo's fondness for motion controls makes a new Wiimote model at least somewhat realistic - although I may be blinded by my desire for pointer aiming to not die.

orioto

Good Art™

And i've got a question.

Let's say you have a game that use the touch screen (i guess there will be a touch screen right). When in TV mode, how do you pay it ?

Sadist

Man even if NX is twice as powerful as a Wii U or last ten system, I would gladly buy Dead Rising Remaster on it. I can almost see Capcom porting it over to NX
Would be neat to finally get Dead Rising after Chop Till You Drop.

Now the RE 2 remaster... thats what I'd like. REmake 2 on the go would be great.

psyfi

Banned

And i've got a question.

Some people have suggested using motion / pointer controls, but that sounds way too unreliable to me. I can't think of any appealing solution. :(

And i've got a question.

I think I heard this question on Gamexplain and this question is a reason why I say we just don't know exactly how everything will look and work

orioto

Good Art™
I think I heard this question on Gamexplain and this question is a reason why I say we just don't know exactly how everything will look and work

Well yeah that's the thing with the NX, it's never possible to have a clear picture of it cause there is always something that wouldn't work well, it's really confusing.

Maybe the tv kit has a classic controller that has a small screen.
Maybe there is no dock, and you just play with your portable NX and it uses a magical wireless video out!

Maybe they assume that certain game won't be playable on tv ?

Maybe there is no touch screen..

who knows..

My guess:

There's a good reason why the on-screen pointer on Wii was usually shaped like a finger.

Problem is that it's not quiet the same thing, a tactile screen and a pointer. It's not the same feedback, nor the same accuracy. Some people have trouble with the pointer.. It's hard to imagine a game working with both control method with the same game design..

Problem is that it's not quiet the same thing, a tactile screen and a pointer. It's not the same feedback, nor the same accuracy. Some people have trouble with the pointer.. It's hard to imagine a game working with both control method with the same game design..

I dunno, most of the games I'm thinking of would probably be at least passable. It wouldn't be the same, of course.

- Super Mario 3D World (always-active pointer, assign unused button to stylus commands)

- Splatoon (hold L button to bring up semi-transparent map, use pointer to hover over map icons and press A to super jump)

- Kid Icarus Uprising (use pointer/gyroscope to move reticle/camera)

- The Wonderful 101 (use pointer to draw shapes, just like Okami Wii but with better response)

- Wind Waker/Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask remakes (use pointer to select items from menu, press button to assign)

I actually guessed the detachable buttons in the past. Not sure if it's on gaf or anything, but before the rumors came out I was like "hey, wouldn't it be kind of cool if there was some form of NX that was like a tablet you can connect buttons on?" I was thinking more like the 3DS boat, but the idea is pretty similar.
The idea included a "pro" model with better buttons, but it's more suitable for at home play. Maybe a battery expansion pack.
I wonder, if buttons are detachable, will we see games try and support that control scheme? Bayonetta already developed it for Wii U, I imagine it could be even better here.
Virtual buttons for other games as well.
It could also allow for more asynchronous multiplayer games with one player doing something on the tablet with two others on the TV...though I'm not sure how that would work if it's supposed to be docked.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
maybe more like racing to be the first

Wacky Races: N v.s. S edition.
I'd be very surprised, to be honest, if Sony will unveil PS4 Neo at TGS. I was expecting more like Paris Games Week...unless it actually comes out the exact same day as PSVR, or about that period. Presentation-to-release time in that case would be around a month, fitting for a revision of an already established console.
I hope Nintendo wins the race, though :p

No marketing reason, I just want the official announcement as soon as possible, i.e. beginning of September

I think it would be a huge mistake on Nintendo's part to differentiate itself so dramatically from the other consoles, or let itself be overrun in less than a year by the likes of Neo and the Scorpio.

These numbers came out showing just how bad third-party support for the Wii U has been and why I get that the Wii was shovelware central, it still sold like hell.

If Nintendo are going to pull gamers away from Xbox and Sony, they have to at least have the majority of those system's blockbuster third-parties. Zelda and Mario aren't enough - the Wii U has proved that.

Calm Mind

I think it would be a huge mistake on Nintendo's part to differentiate itself so dramatically from the other consoles, or let itself be overrun in less than a year by the likes of Neo and the Scorpio.

These numbers came out showing just how bad third-party support for the Wii U has been and why I get that the Wii was shovelware central, it still sold like hell.

If Nintendo are going to pull gamers away from Xbox and Sony, they have to at least have the majority of those system's blockbuster third-parties. Zelda and Mario aren't enough - the Wii U has proved that.

Hyperbole. You can't lose something you never had. Western 3rd party publishers don't give two shits about a Nintendo platform even if it's selling well.

stalker

And i've got a question.

What if the chipset of the handheld can be detached and attached to the docking station? The handheld would then become a Wii U style gamepad.

This is a handheld, it's not really meant to get those games unless we hear differently.
I'm not sure anyone freaked out because 3DS couldn't run Dragon Age Inquisition or something.
They do have the chance to create something like the Wii, cheap and affordable with a lot of worthwhile exclusives while it not being in direct competition with Xbox One

Would people really be like "I want to play the next Call of Duty or Assassins Creed on the new Nintendo system...?"

This is a handheld, it's not really meant to get those games unless we hear differently.
I'm not sure anyone freaked out because 3DS couldn't run Dragon Age Inquisition or something.
They do have the chance to create something like the Wii, cheap and affordable with a lot of worthwhile exclusives while it not being in direct competition with Xbox One

Well it's potentially a handheld, right? I thought the initial rumour that it was double as both (as in a mobile console) seemed more on the likely.

psyfi

Banned
Would people really be like "I want to play the next Call of Duty or Assassins Creed on the new Nintendo system...?"
I dunno, I could see A LOT of people being enticed by the idea of playing COD on their lunch break. But that's *if* Activision brings COD to the NX and whether or not people can convince their COD buddies to switch over to the NX.

Neoxon

I dunno, I could see A LOT of people being enticed by the idea of playing COD on their lunch break. But that's *if* Activision brings COD to the NX and whether or not people can convince their COD buddies to switch over to the NX.
And there lies one of the major problems. Most core gamers are firmly locked into Sony & Microsoft's systems. It's too late in the generation for Nintendo to change that.

KrawlMan

And there lies one of the major problems. Most core gamers are firmly locked into Sony & Microsoft's systems. It's too late in the generation for Nintendo to change that.

Yeah not seeing that happening anytime soon. Whatever Nintendo is doing needs to clearly differentiate itself from the majority of what's happening on Sony/MS machines. This includes how you use the tech and the types of experiences you get on it. Nintendo games alone will go pretty far on this machine if it truly is them unifying handheld and console development.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, I'm skeptical. It's more likely for casual players and players who don't play with friends to opt for the NX version, but people who have been playing with their buddies multiple times a week for the better part of the past eight years won't be switching over without serious persuasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom