• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

VRMN

this might be a stupid question but does this come with a rechargeable battery in the controller or do we still need to buy that separetly?
Separate purchase. Just get Eneloops. I much prefer an Xbox controller with those to my PS4 pad, honestly.

On Delivery route.

Then I'll have to finish up work, and then when I get home I'll set it up, update it, set up fallout 4 and watch my frist HDR movie.

I'm wondering if I should let the Xbox One S do the scaling or let the TV do it. Samsung's 4k scaling is nuts, it's so good.

What tv do you have?

leng jai

I wonder if this version has a higher quality finish the old one. The original design was built like a tank but if you looked closer the finish and cutting was pretty rough. PS4 of course was even worse in this regard.

sam777

Curious to know if they'll be restocking the 2TB in the UK?

Sold out everywhere and nobody seems to know if they're getting more

I work at a hub warehouse for Argos and we haven't had any word yet

I also wanna know if the 2tb is going to be a limited thing.

The releases did say limited on them but I would expect more stock since they have not even announced release dates for the 500gb or 1tb versions yet in the UK, so I doubt there will be a period where there is no slim version available.

dcx4610

Any word if all of the controllers going forward will use Bluetooth and will be available in all colors or just the white?

I'll want a 2nd one for PC and would like a different color for it to stand out from the system one.

Well, mine shipped last night so I guess I'm not waiting for the cheaper more practical bundles. Sucks I won't be home when it gets there, I hope they don't just lesve it outside my door...

Somnia

Any word if all of the controllers going forward will use Bluetooth and will be available in all colors or just the white?

I'll want a 2nd one for PC and would like a different color for it to stand out from the system one.

I believe going forward all controllers will use the new Bluetooth. I don't know if the Gears Elite controller does though as the elite was prior to the new re-design. I would assume they would just switch Elite Design over to the Bluetooth side of things eventually though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I wonder if this version has a higher quality finish the old one. The original design was built like a tank but if you looked closer the finish and cutting was pretty rough. PS4 of course was even worse in this regard.
The S is unibody, at least the white part, it's all one piece.

Caayn

Ladies and gentleman, we've got lift-off.

wp_20160801_15_21_30_gguqd.jpg

DirtyLarry

So I traded in a bunch of stuff at GameStop yesterday and will have my S tomorrow. My wife said she was okay with having one white component in our entertainment center which I thought for sure she would not be, and I want that 4K content support since right now all I have is the Roku 4.

So I am correct in understanding that the S does not support Kinect without an adapter but MS will send me that adapter for free if I call and provide the serial # of my current One and the new Slim model?

I do not use Kinect a lot, but we use the Voice Control ALL the time. So i need that adapter ASAP (if it is required, I am hoping somehow I am wrong and I can just plug Kinect in and be done).

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Is there a depth comparison with the current Xbone? That's the thing I need most for my desk setup.

ekim

Of course. It's currently drawing 28w during the boot/update/first sequence. I've measured what my old Xbox One uses and will do the same test on this one when it's finished.

Nice. Thanks! Also please the exact size for W/H/L

etta

my hard graphic balls
So I traded in a bunch of stuff at GameStop yesterday and will have my S tomorrow. My wife said she was okay with having one white component in our entertainment center which I thought for sure she would not be, and I want that 4K content support since right now all I have is the Roku 4.

So I am correct in understanding that the S does not support Kinect without an adapter but MS will send me that adapter for free if I call and provide the serial # of my current One and the new Slim model?

I do not use Kinect a lot, but we use the Voice Control ALL the time. So i need that adapter ASAP (if it is required, I am hoping somehow I am wrong and I can just plug Kinect in and be done).
It might take a while to send/ship. If you must have it right away, go to a Microsoft Store and buy the Windows Kinect adapter as they are the same. Then refund it if the free one arrives within the 30 days.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

To use the Kinect sensor with a Xbox One S you will need the Kinect adaptor. The S has no Kinect port.

You will need the serial number for all three devices to get the free adaptor from MS.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Aarrgggghhh why is it updating so slow :(
Depth 23.1cm
Height 6.5cm
Length 29.6cm
Okay you know what to do next. See if the dash, after update, is any faster and if BC games perform any better. Try something really bad like Reach lol.

Ladies and gentleman, we've got lift-off.

wp_20160801_15_21_30_gguqd.jpg

Can you see if there are different options in the settings. Such as the Audio/Video settings?

I think there are more options with output for video, but i just need you confirmation about the audio output portion, please.

dcx4610

LOL at asking the wife if it's OK to have a white console. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am.

I have an all black entertainment center and I think the white console will look good in the middle. Black and white complement each other. It will stand out but it still will look nice.

this might be a stupid question but does this come with a rechargeable battery in the controller or do we still need to buy that separetly?

It does not. My recommendation is to go with top name brand rechargable standard AA batteries (e.g. Eneloop, Duracell). Forget about the proprietary Play and Charge kit.

Caayn

Xbox One Halo 5 edition - FW 1608.160729-1700
45w - dashboard - no disc
99w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista

Xbox One S - FW 1608.160725-1822
31w - dashboard - no disc
64w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista

damn, u from the states?
The Netherlands.
Can you see if there are different options in the settings. Such as the Audio/Video settings?

I think there are more options with output for video, but i just need you confirmation about the audio output portion, please.
Video settings are detailed in this and this video. As for audio, I don't see any new settings.

OCD Guy

Has anyone that's extremely picky got their hands on an S yet?

I'm interested in hearing reports of noise levels. Is it quieter than the original, louder etc?

I appreciate there's always variance due to normal manufacturing processes, but I'm looking forward to more reports.

The original console was quiet but psu was quite loud, so I'm definterly intrigued as the S has an internal PSu obviously.

Thanks

ekim

That's quite the improvement. Not bad.

DirtyLarry

To use the Kinect sensor with a Xbox One S you will need the Kinect adaptor. The S has no Kinect port.

You will need the serial number for all three devices to get the free adaptor from MS.

It might take a while to send/ship. If you must have it right away, go to a Microsoft Store and buy the Windows Kinect adapter as they are the same. Then refund it if the free one arrives within the 30 days.

Okay thanks. Just saw it was $40 so I think I may try and hold off until MS can send it. Will call ASAP tomorrow once I have my S in hand.

LOL at asking the wife if it's OK to have a white console. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am.

I have an all black entertainment center and I think the white console will look good in the middle. Black and white complement each other. It will stand out but it still will look nice.
Happy Wife = Happy Life
She already hates the cheap look of the consoles overall, and I cannot say I really disagree with her especially in this particular instance. The white is going to throw everything off. The top center of my entertainment center houses the front speaker for my surround sound, and the shelves underneath do not have centers, just a left and right, so it means it is going to be way off balance with one white brick on the left hand side top. For people that care about stuff like interior decorating, which my wife does, it is pretty shit to have the balance thrown off like that. Simply put, it would have been nice to have an option in color and ones that did not include the awful graphics of the Halo and Gears consoles.
I also happen to think black and white is about the worst combination for furniture there is. Just a personal opinion after all but have never been a fan. But I digress.

Lucifon

The Netherlands.
Video settings are detailed in this and this video. As for audio, I don't see any new settings.

Interesting. Any difference in dashboard performance?

The Netherlands.

Thanks. so it is confirmed.. no direct bitstream via hdmi audio output. sad times RIP ATMOS

Top Bottom