• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Derek Jeter writes article about Ichiro Suzuki: "More Than 3,000"

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

Baseball is a 6-month long 162 game season, players need to pace themselves. Not everyone is a freak athlete like Ichiro. I see not running every ball as a positive for the regular season. A possible single isn't worth the risk of a pulled hammy.

It's 3-4 seconds of running what 2-3 times a night? That doesn't strike me as "I need to save some energy for the playoffs". Should they dog it on fly balls and let some drop then too? It doesn't strike me as something you should worry about getting injured on, there's no sliding or collision.

It's 3-4 seconds of running what 2-3 times a night? That doesn't strike me as "I need to save some energy for the playoffs". Should they dog it on fly balls and let some drop then too? It doesn't strike me as something you should worry about getting injured on. It's not a head first slide or something.

You are over simplifying it by saying it's simply about effort. Most MLB players do "hustle". Ichiro's swing was taylor made to allow him to get a head start to first base (and he sacrificed power to do it). It's unreasonable to ask every player to do the same thing. It's like asking every NBA player to take and make 30 foot threes since Steph Curry makes it look so easy.

Jag

Need a pic in a Marlins uni

Marlins%20Cardinals%20Baseball

Unsurprisingly, every time he gets up to bat, some Japanese TV channels literally stop what they're showing and cut to the feed.

I was in Japan when he was traded over. The host-family I was living with went absolutely apeshit over it. Everybody loved the guy. We'd always get highlights of the game on the news the following day.

Friggz

I read this really interesting piece from The Ringer about how Ichiro probably could've been a slugger, put up more homers if he wanted to. But it was more efficient for him to swing safe and hit more reliably. Paints a picture of dude who's there to do work.

https://theringer.com/should-ichiro-have-hit-homers-c96633a61262#.klbaitvq8

the story that ichiro would have hit 40 homers if "he wanted to" has always been funny. and management should have been fired for not getting him to change his approach. homers > singles.

I read this really interesting piece from The Ringer about how Ichiro probably could've been a slugger, put up more homers if he wanted to. But it was more efficient for him to swing safe and hit more reliably. Paints a picture of dude who's there to do work.

https://theringer.com/should-ichiro-have-hit-homers-c96633a61262#.klbaitvq8

I feel like the "Ichiro could hit Homeruns if he wanted to!" thing that you heard early in his career and that has sort of taken on this mythological life of its own is sort of over blown. Like could he have done it? Sure, maybe, but he would have had to change his entire approach and swing. It's not he would have just added 20 hrs a year to his existing numbers. Some other aspects of his game (some of the ones he was famous for, and effective at) would have suffered for it. You could probably play that kind of "what if" game with a lot of great players. Barry Bonds could have probably hit 100 Homeruns in a season if he swung at more stuff outside of his zone rather than using his superior batting eye to wait for his perfect pitch or take a walk.

krae_man

I feel like the "Ichiro could hit Homeruns if he wanted to!" thing that you heard early in his career and that has sort of taken on this mythological life of its own is sort of over blown. Like could he have done it? Sure, maybe, but he would have had to change his entire approach and swing. It's not he would have just added 20 hrs a year to his existing numbers. Some other aspects of his game (some of the ones he was famous for, and effective at) would have suffered for it. You could probably play that kind of "what if" game with a lot of great players. Barry Bonds could have probably hit 100 Homeruns in a season if he swung at more stuff outside of his zone rather than using his superior batting eye to wait for his perfect pitch or take a walk.

Yeah but then his OBP would have only been in the .400's

Joe

Is there a simulator to see how teams of 9 Ichiros vs. 9 Barry Bonds with the same pitcher for both would play out?

CDV13

My roommate once claimed Ichiro was not a great hitter because of his momentum building wierdish (hard to describe lol) swing. I really lost respect for said roommate that day.

I'm surprised he hasn't changed the way people play baseball. Especially in this sabermetrics OBP is king world we live in now.

I don't watch a lot of baseball anymore but it seems like 90% of players dog it to first base if they hit a grounder or give it say 80-90% down the baseline(they always start moving faster when they notice a mistake so they clearly weren't giving it their all).

Meanwhile, every time I've watched Ichiro play he was 1/2 way down the first base line in a nanosecond the instant his bat touched the ball every time. He beat out so many throws and caused so many errors from infielders going "oh crap it's Ichiro. I gotta bare hand this and fast".

I haven't seen anyone else give it their all down the first base line every time their bat touches the ball like Ichiro.

There are players who pull leg muscles every year trying to beat out grounders they beat maybe 1/10 times.

It's not worth it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Gonna be sad when he retires. Always love watching him play. I was hoping to see him get 3000 in person when the Marlins play the Mets at the end of the month but hes going to get it well before that.

Friggz

Is there a simulator to see how teams of 9 Ichiros vs. 9 Barry Bonds with the same pitcher for both would play out?

yes.

baseball reference breaks down runs created per game if all 27 outs were made by the same player.

they arent close....

in 2004, if bonds hit in all 9 spots of the lineup, the team would score 22.0 runs per game.

in 2004, if ichiro hit inall 9 spots of thelineup, the team would score 7.9 per game.

both runs per game represent their best seasons.

for their career 9 lineup spots occupied by bonds averaged 10.6 per game...ichiro is at 5.7

krae_man

yes.

baseball reference breaks down runs created per game if all 27 outs were made by the same player.

they arent close....

in 2004, if bonds hit in all 9 spots of the lineup, the team would score 22.0 runs per game.

in 2004, if ichiro hit inall 9 spots of thelineup, the team would score 7.9 per game.

both runs per game represent their best seasons.

for their career 9 lineup spots occupied by bonds averaged 10.6 per game...ichiro is at 5.7

How much of that is Bonds having 2000 more career walks?

Some of that is his eye(he always had good walk numbers), but his walks and OBP his last 8 seasons or so were insane.

Brakke

Banned

This is literally the thesis of the article.

Friggz

How much of that is Bonds having 2000 more career walks?

Some of that is his eye(he always had good walk numbers), but his walks and OBP his last 8 seasons or so were insane.

well. yeah. its all based on their respective numbers. Bonds was better in every facet on baseball (defense, on the bases, at the plate, etc). ichiro was a great singles hitter.

Friggz

I disagree that Bonds was better defensively.

you can disagree. but at the beginning of his career bonds was a much better fielder than ichiro was in his prime. His defensive war is also 2 wins higher despite being a DH in left for the last decade of his career.

krae_man

Bonds 0 200-hit seasons.....lmao gtfo.

Ted Williams didn't have any either.

It's a lot easier to get 200 hits when you lead off. When you are talking number of hits in a season, the thing needed most is at bats.

Ichiro had 250 more at bats in his 262 hit season then Williams in his .406 season.

Even if you go plate appearances, it's a 150 difference.

Couleurs

It's a lot easier to get 200 hits when you lead off. When you are talking number of hits in a season, the thing needed most is at bats

It's also easier when you don't have pitchers intentionally walking you as much as they can because they are absolutely afraid of pitching to you.

Dont get me wrong, Ichiro is cool and has had a great career, but Bonds is easily top 5 all time and shouldn't be compared to mortals.

Friggz

RBIs are a reflection of how good the people batting before you are...lol.

Should we talk about rings then....? lol

that matters even less than RBI. arod would have still be an all time great if he didnt win in 2009.

you can disagree. but at the beginning of his career bonds was a much better fielder than ichiro was in his prime. His defensive war is also 2 wins higher despite being a DH in left for the last decade of his career.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I watched both in their primes, Ichiro was better in right than Bonds was in center and left. Better range, could play the ball better and had a better arm.

Bonds did get the ball in front of him very well I'll give him that all day though.

Keri

My husband loves Ichiro. We have a ball from Ichiro, that he threw to me while he was practicing before a game. He's kind enough to throw balls out to fans before games and skilled enough that he literally threw the ball straight into my hands (so even clumsy and uncoordinated me could not miss it). I'm excited for him to get his 3,000 hits.

RBIs are a reflection of how good the people batting before you are...lol.

Should we talk about rings then....? lol

They are just as meaningless as using raw hits numbers to determine who is a better hitter. If Ichiro went 2-4 at the plate with two singles, but Barry Bonds went 1-2 with a homerun and two walks, who had the better, more productive day?

Barry Bonds was 43 years old and put up the 6th best offensive season in baseball while playing in the outfield every day before he got blackballed.

krae_man

Not if you counted Rose's minor league hits, which is only fair.

Rose started playing in MLB 6 years earlier then Ichiro. Who knows what would have happened health wise but it's fair to say Ichiro would have at least had a chance to pass Rose if he started at 21 too.

DMczaf

Bonds had a season where he hit 45 HRs and had only 90 RBIs

Do you know how shitty your teammates have to be to pull that off???

Man I thought that ball was going to leave the park. Looked and sounded good off the bat. Congratulations to Ichiro! I think he's still got a lot of baseball left in him.

New002

I remember collecting baseball cards when I was younger and reading in my Beckett about how Ichiro was the rookie to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom