• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

Nohar

Just a warning: it will be difficult to play Super Metroid after playing Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission and this game.

Really, Samus' controls and physics in Super Metroid are the worst of the franchise. Super Metroid remains a great game, but I certainly don't want to replay it now.

synce

First time hearing about this but I'm hyped to try it. Can't believe they made it all the way to release without a C&D

I could tell this game was gonna be good just based on the demo, but seeing that my playthrough sequence is differing really wildly from others' and I'd never have guessed based on how natural my experience has been is clinching it.

My only enduring problem is I really wanna play with a + Control Pad, not analog.

KHlover

Banned
C1BFEF7F3309D8B497A4044640AFA3E4CE2A24EC

Anyone got an idea how I get to this item? Is it even an item I can collect?

Mega

Banned
I just started playing. Good stuff so far and I'm amazed this is a fan made game. I took some photos of the game running at 240p on a CRT, perhaps the perfect way to play this game if you have the right setup.

IW3pKW8l.jpg

WcccPjLl.jpg

qDyxfNml.jpg

7jMhJPYl.jpg

LjY2Hq6l.jpg

pFu1Dsvl.jpg

Psxphile

C1BFEF7F3309D8B497A4044640AFA3E4CE2A24EC

That's the one I was talking about before:
I think I know which expansion you're talking about, I just got one in that area. If I'm reading you right: you're not supposed to walk up to it. Charge the shinespark, drop down from the upper level and immediately launch yourself towards the wall. Just let the momentum carry you into the Super missile.

You need Super Missiles and the Speed Booster to get it, so come back later if you don't have both. Now:
find the entrance from above. It's a single Super Missile block in the same place the destructible wall is at. Blow it and drop in and keep going until you eliminateed the wall on its left side by falling down into it. Now get back above and charge up a shinespark. You should already know the rest.

Zunnoab

Neo Member
(There is an image of the super missile in the original post.)
This is the one a few of us were talking about a little while ago.

You get to it from the left side of the room. Okay you know how the room is sort of shaped like a horse shoe facing down? On the top of the horse shoe iirc there is a super missile block to break, then you drop down through some "one way fall" blocks that do not respawn unless you leave the room. This will take you to the left side of that missile, but there are shinespark blocks blocking it!

So now from the top of the horse shoe run left and hit down at the edge. Now while shining walk to the left until you land on the platform next to the left door. From there, jump diagonally (without hitting up) so Samus spins while still flashing. Now while slightly off the ground of the platform next to that left door hold up and hit jump. Immediately after she stops when you do that, hold right. If you align it correctly you will shinespark to the right and into that super missile expansion.

AndrewPL

Just started it, at first it felt a bit off with the movement but once I got past that I was completely sucked it and the controls felt amazing.

I've collected a few items but haven't found a boss yet but so far feel like this is amazing!!! What a gift to the metroid fan base.

I really want to know if the creator is going to create an original IP game like axion verge, it would definitely have my attention!

KHlover

Banned
D7CB7A439493C5650C686F04515FB0737BCBDFF1

This thing explodes whenever I try to jump down there. Do I do sth wrong or am I just not supposed to do it?

EDIT: nvm solved it

Mivey

Did someone catch the description on the Spider Ball? No idea how to actually crawl on walls with that thing and randomly pushing buttons seems not to help.
Edit: Nevermind, it is LT.

Great game so far, incredible production values for a fan production.

Nohar

Did someone catch the description on the Spider Ball? No idea how to actually crawl on walls with that thing and randomly pushing buttons seems not to help.

Press LR/LB to enter Spider Mode. In this mode, your Morph Ball will "stick" to the walls, allowing you to climb them, although at a lower speed.

Well,
Torizo
was an interesting boss alright. The camera could use some improvement, but it was an enjoyable fight nonetheless.

TheMoon

Am I missing something or is the global Metroid counter (map screen) not counting down as it should? It's still at 42 whenever I look at it. Just got done with the area that gives you the Varia Suit, for reference.

Edit: Nevermind, it is LT.

Great game so far, incredible production values for a fan production.

the controls screen in the options menu has all the things.

KHlover

Banned
Man playing this and Axiom Verge kinda simultaneously. What year is it??

I finished Axiom Verge last week and had a craving for more Metroidvania's which are only inspired by Metroid. Found nothing. Then learned about AM2R and that it releases this week. Such perfect timing :D

Damn, the music is so good.
I'm celebrating my birthday and I certainly was not expecting to get an (almost) brand new Metroid game in 2016.

Is it legal to develop a game on an IP without permission from the owners?

I'm assuming as long as you don't make money from it it's ok? Or Nintendo just letting this slide?

Rich!

Is it legal to develop a game on an IP without permission from the owners?

I'm assuming as long as you don't make money from it it's ok? Or Nintendo just letting this slide?

Nintendo don't give a shit as long as they aren't being profited on. Iwata voiced his support on fangames before.

Thank fuck this example can now be used to shut people up when they bring up the inane "LOL COUNTDOWN TO C&D" drive by shitposting in future fangame threads

...oh who am I kidding. People will still shitpost regardless.

I just started playing. Good stuff so far and I'm amazed this is a fan made game. I took some photos of the game running at 240p on a CRT, perhaps the perfect way to play this game if you have the right setup.

IW3pKW8l.jpg

WcccPjLl.jpg

qDyxfNml.jpg

7jMhJPYl.jpg

LjY2Hq6l.jpg

pFu1Dsvl.jpg
Looking good. Any tips on how to archive this HDMI to scart rgb? Is it laggy at all?

IW3pKW8l.jpg

WcccPjLl.jpg

qDyxfNml.jpg

7jMhJPYl.jpg

LjY2Hq6l.jpg

pFu1Dsvl.jpg
My word. Stunning. Just stunning.

One-man dev team does what Nintendon't.

Hire this guy, Nintendo.

It is.

They don't care unless you're trying to sell it. Otherwise you'd have a graveyard of fangames/romhacks out there.

Nintendo don't give a shit as long as they aren't being profited on. Iwata voiced his support on fangames before.

Thank fuck this example can now be used to shut people up when they bring up the inane "LOL COUNTDOWN TO C&D" drive by shitposting in future fangame threads

...oh who am I kidding. People will still shitpost regardless.

This is amazing!

thanks

Played it for 1h straight, this game is amazing, especially amazing that one guy created this.
I really miss the old school Metroid games, I hope Nintendo will see his potential and will hire him. Really impressed by it.

suikodan

I downloaded this game from the Blog but got an alert for viruses and such. Also, when downloading another from another source from the same page, I got an alert from Windows about the executable. Are we sure that this executable is safe?

Nemesis_

I think I'm stuck but I am also really worried that the counter has glitched out on me.

Here is the map of the area I'm at, there is one Metroid left but I can't seem to find it.

Here is an area I think might be the clue but I have no idea how to get into this door.

nynt9

I downloaded this game from the Blog but got an alert for viruses and such. Also, when downloading another from another source from the same page, I got an alert from Windows about the executable. Are we sure that this executable is safe?

It's a game maker game and some antivirus programs pick GM stuff for whatever reason. Form what I can tell, the file from the official link seems to be fine.

It also has some of the performance issues that GM suffers from. Screen tearing at full screen, and inconsistent framerate at times. Is there a known fix for these?

linkboy

I think I'm stuck but I am also really worried that the counter has glitched out on me.

Here is the map of the area I'm at, there is one Metroid left but I can't seem to find it.

Here is an area I think might be the clue but I have no idea how to get into this door.

I'm in the same area, you just beat the
Gamma Metroid

2 hours in and I have a bunch of powerups, last one being the
power charge and shibespark
. Finding funny they make you use
shinespark
so much just for traversing, as its only used used to get more items in zero and fusion.
At least some puzzles in my 100% walktrought through fusion made me aware and is easy for me.

Still having some problems with the controls sometimes (the fault of the 360 controller, not the game) and the saving animatiom bug that triggers more than not and wates your time.

The open areas right now are making the game super fun. Im the only one that uses the spiderball to traverse the ceiling just as soon as I got to thw huge open areas? Lol

Neomoto

Do I understand correctly that this guy made this all in Game Maker Studio? It looks awesome, going to download tonight

LewieP

Played a little of this, seems pretty solid. Clearly a lot of care has gone into it.

Some of the art is a little off, a couple of the backgrounds and the explosions in particular, but on the whole it looks the part.

I really like how they've translated a few of the new ideas from he Prime series back into a 2D setup.

Portugeezer

The windows thing is just a smart screen warning because it doesn't recognise the app, it's not a virus warning. You were quite vague about the actual warning your got, but it's probably just a false positive from your antivirus, usually they take the better safe than sorry approach.

Link_enfant

DFvwXHL.png

I'm stuck in this room. There's only one Metroid remaining in the area and I can't find any way to get past the walls here, and the door remains grey. Any idea?

TheMoon

Played it for 1h straight, this game is amazing, especially amazing that one guy created this.
I really miss the old school Metroid games, I hope Nintendo will see his potential and will hire him. Really impressed by it.

Honestly, why would they hire him? And what for? They're not Valve who will hire a person who made a mod or a specific map to then make that mod or more maps like it for the exact same thing. I'm not trying to downplay how good this is but it's a remake of a game they made modeled after another remake they also made. Plus their main development is all Japan-based. It's not like they don't have people working for them who know how to do any of this. Or that they have a shortage of skilled devs applying for jobs with them.

DFvwXHL.png

I'm stuck in this room. There's only one Metroid remaining in the area and I can't find any way to get past the walls here, and the door remains grey. Any idea?

That's one of the few problems I have with this game. Some walls or areas aren't clearly visually separated from other areas so you're wondering "can I walk through it or is that a solid wall? Or is that traversable area I should try to get to?"

Nemesis_

Could anybody who had cleared Hydro Station please just put up a photo of their map or something? I can't work out where I've missed

Lutherian

Honestly, why would they hire him? And what for? They're not Valve who will hire a person who made a mod or a specific map to then make that mod or more maps like it for the exact same thing. I'm not trying to downplay how good this is but it's a remake of a game they made modeled after another remake they also made. Plus their main development is all Japan-based. It's not like they don't have people working for them who know how to do any of this. Or that they have a shortage of skilled devs applying for jobs with them.

That's one of the few problems I have with this game. Some walls or areas aren't clearly visually separated from other areas so you're wondering "can I walk through it or is that a solid wall? Or is that traversable area I should try to get to?"

You'll get there later, the last metroid isn't in this room.

Pakkidis

How do you speedrun after doing a shine spark? There is a speedwall blocking one of the collectable but not enough room to gain speed. So from what I've read I have to speed run then crouch down to shine spark but when I touch the speedwall while flashing nothing happens.

Pehesse

How do you speedrun after doing a shine spark? There is a speedwall blocking one of the collectable but not enough room to gain speed. So from what I've read I have to speed run then crouch down to shine spark but when I touch the speedwall while flashing nothing happens.

To do a shinespark you actually need to jump in place while flashing - simply flashing isn't spinesharking (and if you jump while moving, you'll jump normally and conserve the charge)! So to recap: run to full speed, press "down" to conserve the charge, move to where you want/need to be, then stand still and press A/cross/whatever your jump key is to shinespark. You have a slight delay just before Samus launches into the shinespark to input the direction you want to go, so horizontal/vertical, and diagonal should be possible though I didn't try it here yet.

And if it works anything like Fusion/ZM did, if you shinespark and hit a slope, you'll start running again, allowing for multi run/charge segments. This is generally only used during 100% collection, but you never know, there might be devious tricks still lying ahead! (Just tested it, can confirm it works, as does all of the above, along with this: you can shinespark as the morph ball, too!)

So basically.... this: http://gfycat.com/WaryFreeHomalocephale

EDIT: whoops, top of the page. Well, uh, I'm taking a break at about 2 hours in, and so far, this is everything I was hoping this would be. It's extremely faithful to the original (or my memory of it, but since I replayed it a couple of months ago, it's pretty fresh) and the additions feel completely in synch with what it was going for. I'm honestly surprised at the level of quality here.

Top Bottom