• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hits a Metroid fansite with a DMCA Takedown notice, file no longer hosted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Just because it's still up doesn't mean it won't be hit with DMCA soon.

Let's wait till that happens before getting upset? I mean the game is also already out in the wild so it's not like this even matters anyway. Though it could impede patches or updates if any of those were planned?

As someone else noted, it looks like Metroid Database sells various merchandise and is therefore "for profit" so that may be why they can't host.

This is not a DMCA takedown.

THIS IS AN ACT OF WAR

War-Declared-1939.jpg

I know everyone is all "Boo Nintendo!" over this, but why wait until it was already out for a day? They knew it was being released for how long? Does anyone else feel like this is something that they have to do for Copyright protection reasons? Why else would they wait until it had already been spread around before having it shut down?

Possible it flew under their radar until now?

WaterAstro

Let's wait till that happens before getting upset? I mean the game is also already out in the wild so it's not like this even matters anyway. Though it could impede patches or updates if any of those were planned?

lol I'm not upset

Companies protecting their property is just how it is.

Wanderer5

If this really was Nintendo taking action all the links would be down.

Yeah wouldn't they gone to the actual site for this remake? I mean this site was linking to that one too along with the download links (and still is). This is so weird.

Yeah wouldn't they gone to the actual site for this remake? I mean this site was linking to that one too along with the download links (and still is). This is so weird.

Maybe there's no one there to process or even confirm a takedown letter from a Nintendo attorney? It is still Sunday for most of the world.

Mr_Moogle

It's hilarious to me that we don't get 2D sidescrolling Metroid games anymore. I can understand the conservative approach to the Prime series given how the sales we're trending but a NX/handheld sequel to Super Metroid or Fusion is the biggest no-brainer ever.

Ridley327

It's hilarious to me that we don't get 2D sidescrolling Metroid games anymore. I can understand the conservative approach to the Prime series given how the sales we're trending but a NX/handheld sequel to Super Metroid or Fusion is the biggest no-brainer ever.

Sakamoto just hasn't been interested at all. He's pretty content with the smaller projects that his team does these days.

BUT YA'LL SAW NINTENDO DON'T CEASE AND DESIST FANGAMES LOOK AT ALL THOSE SUPER MARIO WORLD FANHACKS OUT THERE READ THE OP

download this shit now fam, cuz it aint staying up for long

I'll probably just repeat it every page so driveby posts stop.

An unaffiliated website that archives metroid content decided to host the fangame and they were DMCA'd to STOP DOING THAT.

AM2R has NOT been touched at this moment. The developer site is still up and the download links are still live.

Zero Mission kinda sold like shit when it first came out. I imagine that's what probably discouraged them (though as KingBroly mentioned OM was going to be 2.5D at some point).

Malio

I don't really even like the 2D Metroids, but I downloaded this and will play it. JUST FOR SPITE

Fuck yea.

This entire story is just bizarre. A fangame that's been worked on for a decade and even has a demo prior to release gets a a C&D after release, but not on the site it was originally released on, but some fansite for Metroid that just made a news post referencing the releases and posting the links that were provided. A day later, the fansite's twitter announces that the links have to go down, but for a full two hours their news post is completely untouched and has the links available, and then the entire site suddenly goes offline.

Xerotwo

Welp, unfortunately I had a feeling that NOA wouldn't have any fun with this. Good thing I nabbed it before the takedown.

Edit: Oh, it's still up? Good for those who haven't discovered it yet.

Glowsquid

that Metroid Database post that article screencapped points to it being a legit takedown. its "arguments" for saying the takedown is false are very weak

1: the guy's google-fu is seriously lacking. as poinsted ut above, the laywer's name is real and linked to Miller Nash

2: The article's assertion NCL handles takedown is completely fase. NOA has infact issued DMCAs request toward fan projects in the past through proxy of Miller Nash (for example).

Chindogg

Gotta defend your IP, but wait until the game finishes so it can hit unofficial torrents before slapping the C&D.

IP gets defended, meanwhile the game's distributed beyond reasonable takedowns. Everybody wins.

Welp, unfortunately I had a feeling that NOA wouldn't have any fun with this. Good thing I nabbed it before the takedown.

It's not taken down. The downloads exist. The developer site exists. This is a takedown to an entirely different affiliate that decided to host the links themselves.

Hilarion

Are the people complaining all children or something? This is literally Nintendo's obligation as a company: to aggressively defend their trademarks. No one would do differently.

Nintendo has a duty to its shareholders to vigorously defend its rights to its IPs and not just let someone else waltz in and steal one that hasn't been in use for a while.

If you're upset, see how far you'd get with SEGA making a fan remake of Alex Kidd, or with Square-Enix remaking Actraiser or Konami with Adventure Island. You'd get shut down immediately. It doesn't matter that they're dead franchises just like Metroid, that intellectual property has inherent value to them and they're not going to let you jack their trademark just because you say they don't use it enough.

sonto340

It's amazing how few people actually are reading the thread to see that the main website is still up (I just,downloaded the game ten minutes ago or so) and how many are ready to grab their pitchforks and form the mob.

Didn't I see a bunch of people in the other thread saying they won't get a DMCA since nothing was for sale?

yup and the aggressively argued about it for pages and pages because something something romhacks mumble mumble. I didn't understand the logic behind it either and here we are.

Zubz

Banned
Ooh wee. Remember when SEGA did this with Streets of Rage Remake? And it stopped nothing? And it just led to people remembering how much better the fangame was than the current state of the franchise but it's ok because they could always find the fangame?

Good times.

You have to serve a DMCA takedown. Might be a bit harder to track down the blogspot owner. Rest assured it will go down. Sucks really, but then again it's obviously copyright infringement.

To be fair I think Bombergames was also asking for donations. My memory is fuzzy on that one though, since it's been a looooong time.

From what I remember, years back they said they actually asked Sega if they could go ahead with the project before going full steam ahead and running into a takedown down the road and they got the OK as long as they didn't sell it as usual with fan projects. Everything was fine with countless demos year after year and then it released. Once the internet exploded with praise, they were forced to remove the download links within a few days or so after release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom