• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Price Is Right MAFIA edition |OT| Come on down!!!

*Splinter

Jeez. I'm really not feeling a Blarg lynch right now mainly because I felt he did a roundabout way of garnering attention away from the winner (who's not exactly anymore likely to be town or mafia depending on the action of the item). I really wish that one of the other bidders would comment in some way about the bidding. And remember if Blarg is telling the truth about not winning the item then somebody else is lying too (and isn't that why some are voting Blarg?).

Splinter, doesn't get me as mafia right now. Just really aggressive and probably wrong town. But I really don't like him using WAMD as any form of justification for voting Blarg (regardless of how small). Wouldn't it be far better to lynch WAMD first before using it as a reason (and I do think you are running down the wrong path in her case right now).

I'm leaning Dusk right now but I'm personally thinking that a good deal of scum are coasting and not bothering to stick their neck out right now. Doesn't help that some people haven't really commented lately.
Ok, but why do you think I'm wrong with WAMD?

I'll also point out that the argument you've been discouraged by (relating Blarg and WAMD slightly) is exactly the argument that Blarg sought to emphasise in his responses to me.

That's maybe my bad for putting the arguments backwards compared to the quotes, but hungover = simple mistake. Weird assumptions is your longer recent post.

Also, from your (safe as houses) read list:

Blarg's lie was his least scummy move of the game. Don't like this read, feels like trying to jump on other people's arguments/reads without even understanding them. Bandwagon/bus.

??? I still have a vote on Blarg, how is that a bandwagon???

And it's day one, all reads are going to be safe because on nor knows anything???

Whatever, I don't care anymore. You're annoying me to no end.

Town, if I get lynched today look at Splinter, because is arguments against me are petty as shit.

*Splinter

And it's day one, all reads are going to be safe because on nor knows anything???

A bandwagon in terms of going along with other people's opinions, as I described?

Sorry if I'm annoying you? :/

Town, if I get lynched today look at Splinter, because is arguments against me are petty as shit.
vs
Splinter: pushing my lynch hard on what was a scummy move on my part, so I can't really fault him.
My arguments haven't changed in that time? Apart from not liking your Blarg read (not a big deal).

I have a love-hate relationship with this argument. Sure it's good as a general rule but when I'm this certain on someone, I'd rather lynch the scum than waste time playing it safe.

But ok I'll bite. Who do you suggest? Is WAMD "inactive" enough for you? I don't think she's done much outside of her slip and subsequent defense, but your next post sounded like you are already satisfied by her post?

hey if you really certainly think someone is scum then by all means do vote for them.
i make this point more toward the people who will go for an easy active target and barely consider any of the more low profile players.

yeah, not WAMD, her recent posts, and now knowing about her initial reply, take her off the list for me.

Ok, but why do you think I'm wrong with WAMD?

I'll also point out that the argument you've been discouraged by (relating Blarg and WAMD slightly) is exactly the argument that Blarg sought to emphasise in his responses to me.
Because it is a relatively minute mistake due to misreading that you replicated here
She knew about 3 contestants when the rest of us only knew about 2. I'm guessing she knew about a third scum contestant.

Hold on, you bid as well? That makes 5 contestants?

Are there any more?
Don't see how you can make a mistake in reading, yet it is a scumtell when someone else does it.

Welcome to my Gods based hell lol. But you need to calm down on the you getting lynched talk, you only have a single vote on you as compared to Blarg's 4 (yes, in gafia that is utterly meaningless, but still)

Um, try harder please. Do you have any reads so far?

Thoughts on WAMD's slip and her defense(s)?

Thoughts on Blarg, or the people attacking/defending him?

It's been a lively day 1, not satisfied with "at a loss"

I don't get your fixation with WAMD's slip. Having gone through it again I don't see anything amiss. I think she's being honest about it.

Lively and entertaining yes, we've had the Rorschach test, Plinko, Blarg's antics (I was expecting a Day 1 focused on Blarg prior to the start, didn't disappoint) but I'm not seeing what useful information we can gleam from it. It's been an absolute shamble thus far. Just pages of sharp, snappy remarks between you and Blarg.

Blarg was being Blarg, that much I know. I've seen him do something similar before. As for his alignment I can't really say, maybe slightly scum. But if you want to lead a lynch against him go right ahead. Whatever his flip at least everyone will have something to work with on Day 2.

Quite a few in-actives among us, El Topo hasn't been seen since administering the test, Lone_Prodigy has posted a couple so far.
Yes, I know, pot calling the kettle black.

I'm going to take that as an "affirmative".

Vote count.

Day 1 votes

oceanicair (0)
dusk soldier 53 (333)

cornbro (0)
*splinter 56 (153)

stanleypalmtree (0)
sawneeks 64 (307)

wherearemahdragonz (1)
*splinter 153 (350)
blargonaut 365

karkador (0)
blargonaut 206 (208)

magnumboy20xx (1)
blargonaut 215 (231)
karkador 222

blargonaut (4)
sawneeks 307
dusk soldier 333
wherearemahdragonz 336
*splinter 350

dusk solder (1)
magnumboy20xx 327 (331)
magnumboy20xx 331

*splinter (2)
kyanrute 370
melonrabbit 383

I'm only going to be around for the next couple hours so I'm hoping for some productive discussions.

That's maybe my bad for putting the arguments backwards compared to the quotes, but hungover = simple mistake. Weird assumptions is your longer recent post.

Also, from your (safe as houses) read list:

Blarg's lie was his least scummy move of the game. Don't like this read, feels like trying to jump on other people's arguments/reads without even understanding them. Bandwagon/bus.

After all that... are you siding with me?

Now This Is What I Call GAFia

Iknowrite

Normality has resumed

Joking aside, is there a question attached to that vote? Anything specific you're "less sure" about that I can respond to?

Can you also be more specific on your town read of Blarg? He's been consistent in his belligerence but his recent posts were (in my opinion) increasingly desperate attempt to disparage me.

The rest of your reads I more or less agree on. Kark as town; I'd extend the drive by accusation to Kawl, I think he and CornBro haven't posted at all since claiming; Sketch is more of a null because she kind of plays like that and she hasnt posted enough yet for a better read; Dusk is scummy, but I also think he's right about Blarg so overall I townread him.

LP I must have missed, will look back for his posts.

Mainly your honing on Blarg from moment one. I understand you don't like his strategy but I'm not sure tunneling in on him to such a degree as been helpful.

Having said that, I know you play, at times, somewhat agressively as town. I think you've been fairly consistent in backing up your opinion although I don't agree with you on Blarg.

Also I was interested in seeing what others would do if I voted for you.

unvote

Several of your responses have been a little strange. I didn't take a closer look until now and now I can definitely see where Splinter was coming from. Throwing in the towel, already? This attitude of just accepting defeat doesn't seem very town to me.

Karkador

Banned
What is the first thing that comes to your mind, if you look at this picture?
CNXZnzl.png

It looks like a Sheriff's Star or a Law Enforcement Star (not to be confused with a Star of David), similar to what's on my uniform. Because I'm the Security Chief, and I have an override on who to throw out of the game.

What is the first thing that comes to your mind, if you look at this picture?
j0xgYwe.png

It looks like the jingling keyring on my belt, as part of my Security Chief uniform, because I'm the Security Chief and that gives me the override that's going to throw MagnumBoy20xx out of the game at the end of the day, which was decided...via plinko.

We're almost done. One last picture. What is the first thing that comes to your mind, if you look at this picture? Remember that there are no right or wrong answers.
pkYGl8h.png

Looks like "O V E R R I D E" to me

Karkador

Banned
Yep, including myself. Thankfully, I was closer to the edge of the pyramid, so an embarrassing self-override wasn't super-likely (only for the first few turns)

Karkador

Banned
Why, how would that help? It would far more helpful to chime than worry about a rather irrelevant test.

And why wouldn't you just use random.org Kark, it would've been more fair lol

I initially thought of doing that, but thought it might be more telling if players made the decisions.

Plinko, btw, is actually what we could say is a series of 50/50 decisions. The ball chooses to go left or right at each peg, so it ends up averaging out to a normal distribution.

Player choice, however, is NOT so 50/50, because they have hidden motivations (including not landing the ball on themselves), and I wonder why Blarg kept pushing it to the RIGHT, and why other players chimed in to push it LEFT.

Kyanrute

Back to business. Let’s do a “~catching up with Kyan~”-thing.

In #314 Sawneeks explores the thoughts behind her drive-by with Dusk. I find the reasoning sound and the post makes me feel bit better about Sawneeks. She prefers Blarg over Dusk because Blarg seems more connected overall. Sawneeks, if possible, could you theorize a bit what a possible Blarg flip would tell about others?

MagnumBoy comments in #327 that Dusk’s theory requires many specific assumptions to be true, all at the same time, what obviously lessens the likelihood of the theory being true. I agree. The 50/50 itself is a sound argument to make, but it is only one of the possible scenarios. Thus, using just the 50/50 argument to attack Blarg before getting more information seems unwise at best and scummy at worst. It should be mentioned that this is not my first time seeing Dusk in action and unorthodox plans like this are not new to town Dusk. Magnum uses this to justfy his vote on Dusk. Notably, he was not part of the original team who reacted to Dusk’s plan. Alas, too little information for now to conclude much.

Dusk goes all in with #333 and 50/50. Daring.

Dragonz steps in with #335 and votes for Blarg. She says there is no towny reason to lie about winning the prize, what I disagree with. Things like protecting the actual winner and confusing scum have iirc already been brought up. While the actual nature of the prizes is unknown to all but the winner for now, we can assume the prizes are beneficial. If town won the prize, it would be in the interest of the town to protect the winner. In my opinion Blarg is confusing the game up to make it unclear for scum who won the prize. With that in mind, I put Blarg in the town camp for now. Dragonz’s vote looks bad to me.

As a sidenote, Blarg defending himself with the fact that he cleared that fluff is just fluff looks lolz. B-quality filler.

Splinter votes for Blarg in #350 and because he is Splinter, I’d have to dig through million posts to find the reasoning (how do you manage to post so much, i am jelly). I guess it is all about Blarg’s lies and general behavior and the fluff?

melonrabbit votes Splinter in #383 and offers little but feels in explanation. Splinter’s response feels more safe than usual, but he himself notes that there was really nothing to respond to. melon reveals the vote as a reaction bait in #413, justifying the lack of reasoning that was somewhat problematic.

VOTE: WhereAreMahDragonz

Dragonz, explain why lying about the prize makes Blarg scum?

I initially thought of doing that, but thought it might be more telling if players made the decisions.

Plinko, btw, is actually what we could say is a series of 50/50 decisions. The ball chooses to go left or right at each peg, so it ends up averaging out to a normal distribution.

Player choice, however, is NOT so 50/50, because they have hidden motivations (including not landing the ball on themselves), and I wonder why Blarg kept pushing it to the RIGHT, and why other players chimed in to push it LEFT.

one little psychological trick, Kark

As player 19, I'm on the far right.

By spamming RIGHT early and as much as possible, it's only natural that others would want to defy the wall of status quo I was setting; and, given the minigame's openness to participation, they had the perfect opportunity to do so by interjecting with their LEFTs, believing that they were foiling me, when in fact that was what I wanted.

Karkador

Banned
So even though I told you there would be fatal consequences for it, you voted to move the ball to yourself? How do you think that reflects on your other behavior in the game so far?

*Splinter

Because it is a relatively minute mistake due to misreading that you replicated here

Don't see how you can make a mistake in reading, yet it is a scumtell when someone else does it.
Well honestly I never doubted that it could be an honest mistake - of course that's a possibility - but in the vacuum of day 1 I think it's a relatively solid lead to pursue, and having pursued it I am baffled that so many choose to assume that WAMD is town.

Of course, that bafflement turns to suspicion if WAMD does indeed flip scum.

But if we are going to assume everything is dopey town, what do we lynch for?

After all that... are you siding with me?

Now This Is What I Call GAFia
Lol, don't be silly. I made the same defense in the very post where I voted for you. Lying is a smart play in many scenarios, but scum Blarg is just as capable of seeing that as town Blarg.

Blarg ,what's your read list?

I'm not gonna drop a full reads list unless I know for sure that I'm not dying Today.

I don't want to drop a reads list, die immediately after then have my scum reads twisted against Town postmortem. I'd like the chance to live to Tomorrow to give it at least one update in the light of another Day/Night cycle's intel.

I'll indulge you on *Splint and Dusk, though.

brb with that

*Splinter

Mainly your honing on Blarg from moment one. I understand you don't like his strategy but I'm not sure tunneling in on him to such a degree as been helpful.

Having said that, I know you play, at times, somewhat agressively as town. I think you've been fairly consistent in backing up your opinion although I don't agree with you on Blarg.

Also I was interested in seeing what others would do if I voted for you.

unvote
Hmm, interesting.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. As far as gambits go you probably could have left it in the oven a little longer.

Still, I do like gambits, and haven't seen a melongambit before, so benefit of the doubt for now.

So even though I told you there would be fatal consequences for it, you voted to move the ball to yourself? How do you think that reflects on your other behavior in the game so far?

Consistent with multiple counts of display of tendency towards self-destruction, I'd say.

Well honestly I never doubted that it could be an honest mistake - of course that's a possibility - but in the vacuum of day 1 I think it's a relatively solid lead to pursue, and having pursued it I am baffled that so many choose to assume that WAMD is town.

Of course, that bafflement turns to suspicion if WAMD does indeed flip scum.

But if we are going to assume everything is dopey town, what do we lynch for?

Not everybody resides in Tunnelville where every lynch is guaranteed scum and flips don't matter. And to be honest I'm baffled you're so insistent on this and this bafflement will likely turn into annoyance if you're wrong. RF pretty much said he was scum in DP and that was an honest mistake, I'd rather vote somebody out on D1 for reasons beyond this. Maybe a skulker who hasn't made claims of being busy.

Also, Star, Lone, Topo, Ynnek! Care to make any more inputs into anything? Because you've posted a whole lotta nothing so far.

Sophia

oceanicair (0)
dusk soldier 53 (333)

cornbro (0)
*splinter 56 (153)

stanleypalmtree (0)
sawneeks 64 (307)

wherearemahdragonz (2)
*splinter 153 (350)
blargonaut 365
kyanrute 423

karkador (0)
blargonaut 206 (208)

magnumboy20xx (1)
blargonaut 215 (231)
karkador 222

blargonaut (4)
sawneeks 307
dusk soldier 333
wherearemahdragonz 336
*splinter 350

dusk solder (1)
magnumboy20xx 327 (331)
magnumboy20xx 331

*splinter (0)
kyanrute 370 (423)
melonrabbit 383 (413)

Majority is 11.

Flavor and vote counts may be delayed as I'm dealing with real life issues, I apologize.

Day 1 ends:

blu_1471294800.png

Back to business. Let’s do a “~catching up with Kyan~”-thing.

In #314 Sawneeks explores the thoughts behind her drive-by with Dusk. I find the reasoning sound and the post makes me feel bit better about Sawneeks. She prefers Blarg over Dusk because Blarg seems more connected overall. Sawneeks, if possible, could you theorize a bit what a possible Blarg flip would tell about others?

MagnumBoy comments in #327 that Dusk’s theory requires many specific assumptions to be true, all at the same time, what obviously lessens the likelihood of the theory being true. I agree. The 50/50 itself is a sound argument to make, but it is only one of the possible scenarios. Thus, using just the 50/50 argument to attack Blarg before getting more information seems unwise at best and scummy at worst. It should be mentioned that this is not my first time seeing Dusk in action and unorthodox plans like this are not new to town Dusk. Magnum uses this to justfy his vote on Dusk. Notably, he was not part of the original team who reacted to Dusk’s plan. Alas, too little information for now to conclude much.

Dusk goes all in with #333 and 50/50. Daring.

Dragonz steps in with #335 and votes for Blarg. She says there is no towny reason to lie about winning the prize, what I disagree with. Things like protecting the actual winner and confusing scum have iirc already been brought up. While the actual nature of the prizes is unknown to all but the winner for now, we can assume the prizes are beneficial. If town won the prize, it would be in the interest of the town to protect the winner. In my opinion Blarg is confusing the game up to make it unclear for scum who won the prize. With that in mind, I put Blarg in the town camp for now. Dragonz’s vote looks bad to me.

As a sidenote, Blarg defending himself with the fact that he cleared that fluff is just fluff looks lolz. B-quality filler.

Splinter votes for Blarg in #350 and because he is Splinter, I’d have to dig through million posts to find the reasoning (how do you manage to post so much, i am jelly). I guess it is all about Blarg’s lies and general behavior and the fluff?

melonrabbit votes Splinter in #383 and offers little but feels in explanation. Splinter’s response feels more safe than usual, but he himself notes that there was really nothing to respond to. melon reveals the vote as a reaction bait in #413, justifying the lack of reasoning that was somewhat problematic.

VOTE: WhereAreMahDragonz

Dragonz, explain why lying about the prize makes Blarg scum?

Because on day one, when we have so little information to begin with, what purpose does a lie serve? We're all, as town, in the dark. The only thing we had to go on was the contestants chosen and the possibility that winning a prize may give some special ability or skill.

Blarg lying does nothing to shed light on any questions / the situation as a whole, and I cannot see it as a town move. It was meant to misdirect, although I don't know why he chose to come out later and say he was just making it up. I don't know. It just seems very suspicious.

Plinko is really a political spectrum analyzer.

Ynnek7

At work right now, so I've been reading along most of the day (on lunch right now, so typing is eaaier).

I'm not really comfortable with any of the current lynch choices. Blarg, as confusing as he's been, does seem to be providing a distraction for whoever actually won the prize last night.

Splinter is going hard on a couple people right now, but I'm worried that's just grasping at what little info we have.

I was kind of agreeing with Dusk's 50/50 comment until people started to explain their arguments against it.

Dragons did react pretty negatively to bring voted for, but I'm not sure if that's enough of a scum tell for me.

Kyanrute

Because on day one, when we have so little information to begin with, what purpose does a lie serve? We're all, as town, in the dark. The only thing we had to go on was the contestants chosen and the possibility that winning a prize may give some special ability or skill.

Blarg lying does nothing to shed light on any questions / the situation as a whole, and I cannot see it as a town move. It was meant to misdirect, although I don't know why he chose to come out later and say he was just making it up. I don't know. It just seems very suspicious.

But how about protecting the prize winner? What if Blarg is not playing to give out information (what would be gained by both town and scum) but instead he wants to obfuscate the identity of the prize winner as much as possible. Scum should be expected to at least consider hitting the prize winner. Their problem is: who is the winner?

What do you think about this?

Several of your responses have been a little strange. I didn't take a closer look until now and now I can definitely see where Splinter was coming from. Throwing in the towel, already? This attitude of just accepting defeat doesn't seem very town to me.

I was pissed off and not in the mood for Splinter's asinine and annoying reasons for labeling me scum. I have very little patience today because of shit in my real life and I'm sorry if it came off as butt hurt or whatever but I'm just not having any of it right now.

But how about protecting the prize winner? What if Blarg is not playing to give out information (what would be gained by both town and scum) but instead he wants to obfuscate the identity of the prize winner as much as possible. Scum should be expected to at least consider hitting the prize winner. Their problem is: who is the winner?

What do you think about this?

It is a possibility. But again, the only thing that makes sense about this is if Blarg is scum and protecting a teammate; I find it nearly impossible that Blarg knows a confirmed Townie and is protecting them on the very first day.

Karkador

Banned
Call me crazy, but I think there's an invisible player; an invisible hand in all of this. The game is rigged. There's a #21.

Kyanrute

I was pissed off and not in the mood for Splinter's asinine and annoying reasons for labeling me scum. I have very little patience today because of shit in my real life and I'm sorry if it came off as butt hurt or whatever but I'm just not having any of it right now.

It is a possibility. But again, the only thing that makes sense about this is if Blarg is scum and protecting a teammate; I find it nearly impossible that Blarg knows a confirmed Townie and is protecting them on the very first day.

Hmm.

1) Town Blarg won the prize (and is confusing everyone to protect himself from the night kill).
2) Town Blarg did not win the prize (and thinks that town won it instead and is confusing everyone to protect the winner).
3) Scum Blarg won the prize (and is confusing everyone because he is Blarg).
4) Scum Blarg did not win the prize (and tried to lure the real winner out for the night kill).

If scum Blarg did not win the prize, he could try doing the Blarg and try to lure out the real winner. This would be rather risky unless Blarg or the scum team would know something more about the prize mechanic. It could backfire easily and lead into a 1-1 trade that favors town. On the other hand, if scum Blarg won the prize, would he really make such a scene? Look where it has gotten him, he is a possible lynch candidate. I can't think of good reasons for scum Blarg to do what he has done, other than doing it for the lulz.

Karkador

Banned
Alternatively, there's a player who doesn't actually vote, votes twice, or lizardmen are stealing our prizes.

If they kill me, I got too close to #thetruth

*Splinter

Hmm.

1) Town Blarg won the prize (and is confusing everyone to protect himself from the night kill).
2) Town Blarg did not win the prize (and thinks that town won it instead and is confusing everyone to protect the winner).
3) Scum Blarg won the prize (and is confusing everyone because he is Blarg).
4) Scum Blarg did not win the prize (and tried to lure the real winner out for the night kill).

If scum Blarg did not win the prize, he could try doing the Blarg and try to lure out the real winner. This would be rather risky unless Blarg or the scum team would know something more about the prize mechanic. It could backfire easily and lead into a 1-1 trade that favors town. On the other hand, if scum Blarg won the prize, would he really make such a scene? Look where it has gotten him, he is a possible lynch candidate. I can't think of good reasons for scum Blarg to do what he has done, other than doing it for the lulz.
You missed scum Blarg confusing everyone to pretend to be protecting winner.

I don't think he would try to lure them out in that way. It's just 1 or 2 or scum Blarg imitating 1 or scum Blarg imitating 2.

Or 3

Or town Blarg imitating 3

I think Blarg would be assuming that whoever won is town, since there is a greater chance probability wise. Also, protecting a teammate in such a public way would be super unhelpful from a scum perspective on D1 since if lynched that could lead to around half of the mafia team being killed (or less if there are 5 members).

Well, we did start with a deathless Night 0. I'm a bit surprised no one has really brought this up despite all the prize/item/fluff/Plinko conversation. Were no PR's allowed to act that night except for the four bidding contestants?

Blarg still has 4 votes and is in the lead. I don't expect this to last but we're 3.5 hours away from deadline and no one except WAMD and Splinter has posted recently enough to see Blarg's latest posts. At this point, voting Blarg would be extremely scummy, as is keeping a vote on him without justification.

CM didn't talk about why they were the last contestant to claim despite having ample opportunity to do so earlier. I see the reluctance, when 3 other people have already claimed it, as scummy.

Top Bottom