• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

I'm waiting for some more info from a contact but it seems like of there is a home console, it'll also be an Nvidia chip and amd involvement will be the SCD and cloud servers/networking.

Can anyone explain to me why AMD would do cloud servers/networking when Nvidia has had the same thing with GRID for years?

Edit: I can only guess SCD and cloud services/networking is something AMD is looking to do for really cheap because they really don't have good financials at the moment compared to Nvidia.

Can anyone explain to me why AMD would do cloud servers/networking when Nvidia has had the same thing with GRID for years?

They're cheap (presumably) and desperate to gain some ground in that market? Not saying I believe this rumor, but technically speaking, there aren't any barriers to having AMD-powered servers.

Banned

Edit: I can only guess SCD and cloud services/networking is something AMD is looking to do for really cheap because they really don't have good financials at the moment compared to Nvidia.
Well it's my speculation because apparently amd is still involved somehow.

Nate heard this too.

ggx2ac

They're cheap (presumably) and desperate to gain some ground in that market?

Lol I just edited that in.

Back to 10k, he assumes there could be a home console Nvidia. I think going off of last page. Maybe it's a PS vita TV style console and the SCD probably is a external GPU to boost performance.

LCGeek was hinting at some big networking type restructure. I'd be very interested in learning more about what area of networking she was speaking of.

LordOfChaos

After some careful thought, my opinion on what's in NX:

Nvidia is most likely, followed by DMP (I know that I shouldn't, but I can see it), and then AMD. This is assuming a portable. If it's DMP, the Tegra X1 is in the kit merely because it's the closest chip in performance to that new DMP chip coming. Also, I don't think that "Tegra X2" is on the table at all, but a custom ARM CPU + Pascal GPU SoC based on Tegra IP is very much possible. This is what I've come to based on what's happened in recent days.

All the news I see relating DMP to the NX in the last month is "NX is probably using Nvidia, who Nintendo dumped for DMP last minute in the 3DS".

DMP has a new GPU they're pimping out, but I don't see it linked to the NX in any way apart from being more compatible with the 3DS.

Seems like Nintendo is going clean sheet though, which I'm enthused by. Don't need backwards compat into the dark ages.

Funny I was going to say that. Everything is a business. Nintendo will do what it takes to get the best and cheapest deals. I guess if some is from NVidia and some parts are from AMD, then it makes complete sense.

Well it's my speculation because apparently amd is still involved somehow but not with the gpu.

Nate heard this too.

I think this is big news if NateDrake also heard AMD is involved with NX after all.

Sheroking

I'm waiting for some more info from a contact but it seems like of there is a home console, it'll also be an Nvidia chip and amd involvement will be the SCD and cloud servers/networking.

Heh.

If there was a home console, the dock/TV-out thing would never happen.

Pinky

Banned
AMD

Nvidia

AMD

Hybrid

Handheld

Hybrid

Console coming later

Secret Sauce

tumblr_nm4wk8YHlv1ruqqm0o1_400.gif

Banned
well it is down to whether the dock permits some better perfomance on the damn thing or not

suddenly rendering at 2x or even 4x the resolution is not free
Nah the way it'll likely work is it'll run at max clock speeds on the dock to allow native 1080p games (let's say 900mhz gpu and 2.0Ghz CPUjust for an example) and when it is taken from the dock the bios downclocks the chips to maybe 450mhz and 1.5Ghz for 720p gaming.

So really, the dock wouldn't need chips or processing power, just a small motherboard or what have you to tell the NX components to max out their clocks.

Heh.

If there was a home console, the dock/TV-out thing would never happen.
That's like saying there's no point in the PS4 when there's a PSTV.

All the news I see relating DMP to the NX in the last month is "NX is probably using Nvidia, who Nintendo dumped for DMP last minute in the 3DS".

DMP has a new GPU they're pimping out, but I don't see it linked to the NX in any way apart from being more compatible with the 3DS.

Seems like Nintendo is going clean sheet though, which I'm enthused by. Don't need backwards compat into the dark ages.

DMP probably need some new contracts since 3DS production will presumably wind down in the next year and half or so. An interesting nugget for sure, however. It would be awesome if they came out w/ a dual screen SKU featuring 3DS BC. That's a fantasy, however. New 3DS is the pinnacle of that line, and actually, I need to pick one up. My black XL is showing its age.

Rodin

Lol I just edited that in.

Back to 10k, he assumes there could be a home console Nvidia. I think going off of last page. Maybe it's a PS vita TV style console and the SCD probably is a external GPU to boost performance.
The hybrid already does the same thing as the PSV TV. The reasoning behind a home console would be to try and reach a different type of user, and you won't be able to do that with a console that has the same power as the hybrid system. If and when they release a new home console that is just that - a home console (and that is, imho, when they already have a huge library for the hybrid, which will be compatible with the new hardware from d1 thanks to the same ARM+Nvidia architecture being used in the home), it will be much more powerful than the NX, otherwise there's no point in even releasing it.

They could also release a cheaper handheld with a smaller screen that runs the same games at a lower res (e.g. 4.8" 540p if the hybrid is 6-7" 720p), if they want a sub 200$ device on the market that gives access to their library of software at the lowest price possible.

EDIT: oh god can we please stop with this DMP nonsense 😳😂😂😂

Sheroking

No, that's like saying there'd be even less market for Wii U if 3DS came with it's own gameboy player.

The whole point of this thing seems to be to circumvent the need for separate console/handheld hardware. The suggestion that another console is coming goes against everything they've done to unify development. Knowing what we think we know, it doesn't seem likely.

Especially since you're the only one who has said it.

Except PS4 actually sells way better than PSTV and gets tons of first-party and third-party support that PSTV doesn't.

Neither of these will be true for a $300+ home console from Nintendo if the goal is to have the library playable on the handheld and the TV. You'll just be paying for specs.

edit:
"Paying for specs" actually makes sense for an add-on SCD, but not for full-priced hardware you have to buy separately.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well it's my speculation because apparently amd is still involved somehow but not with the gpu.

Nate heard this too.

I don't remember seeing this. The only thing I've seen was him on Twitter saying not to pick sides because genuine information was being shared out there. Wasn't sure if the "not to pick sides" part meant both sides are involved.

If true, though, it's an interesting development. Could AMD be providing a powerful SCD upgrade for this?

Banned
I don't remember seeing this. The only thing I've seen was him on Twitter saying not to pick sides because genuine information was being shared out there. Wasn't sure if the "not to pick sides" part meant both sides are involved.

If true, though, it's an interesting development. Could AMD be providing a powerful SCD upgrade for this?
Not sure. Just that amd can't be ruled out yet and they're involved in some way but definitely not the gpu.

Also, my own speculation is the NX will use 6GB of LPDDR4 with 5GB usable for games and 1 for OS functions. That's the same amount of available ram as the Xbox One and should help with scalability of ports.

Peltz

There's one thing I don't get about the "540p would be s***t on a TV display" people.

Barring some (major?) tweaks on text and/or HUD stuff, I believe it would be reasonable to expect a native 720p or 1080p output on a docked NX setup, not an upscaled one (i.e. huge pixels / extremely blurred image), right?
I mean, if Wii U did it, there's no reason why more powerful hardware couldn't.

ggx2ac

Maybe related to GC to WiiU emulation? I have no idea.

The other thing is having to figure out how far the SCD goes.

I already chatted here the last page where some people want the SCD to essentially be an external GPU card RX 480 to boost performance to PS NEO levels.

Whereas I was arguing before that that it needed to be affordable so I was only expecting a CPU performance boost. But could then see if there was no home console then the SCD being an external GPU wouldn't be too bad.

Forth Storm mentions something about LCGeek mentioning networking and I have no clue if that will be relevant with the SCD.

Fascinating how long these threads can go on without anybody noticing the obvious.

The NX will not be produced by Nintendo but by Sony, just look at the name Playstation 4 NEO - what do you think NEO stands for ?

N - Nintendo
E - Entertainment
O - Overkill

So there you have it, the chips will be from AMD, the console from Sony and the games from Nintendo.

Please don't ban me.

Omg my heart just dropped! Please be real!

I'd buy the crap out of this on NX.

Hell, bring the compilations to NX as well! Can't think of a more suitable audience. This is the kind of game that makes sense as a third-party push on a Nintendo platform. Even if this doesn't pan out, I hope to see more like it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, before actually going to make a thread about it, the real question is: how reliable is EB Games when they put games up to preorder? We've had so many instances of non-existing games put on preorder even on major stores, so I would be very, very careful about it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Serious question, I just went to check that now and I only see Zelda and just dance 2017 listed.

Did you happen to snap this before it got pulled off?

(It feels weird stating the obvious)
It's now under a 301 Moved Permanently, so that seems likely.

Well, before actually going to make a thread about it, the real question is: how reliable is EB Games when they put games up to preorder? We've had so many instances of non-existing games put on preorder even on major stores, so I would be very, very careful about it.
I think if it was pulled off leads to me thinking they messed up in revealing it on their website.

ggx2ac

A very good point, there's a couple of things that we could verify.

Would knowing what the link was to that page help?

Is there any cache of the website that can be dug up to verify it?

Dig through webpage html code?

Etc

Edit:

Rösti;213700971 said:
It's now under a 301 Moved Permanently, so that seems likely.

If serious, oh snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom